• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Security

Re: How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Securit

How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Security​

https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01...es-border-wall-surprised-it-was-obama-hillary
Students at American University reacted unfavorably to calls for increased border security to stem the flow of illegal immigrants, expressing shock that prominent Democrats have agreed with the idea in the past.... Campus Reform's Cabot Phillips visited the university's Washington, D.C. campus amid the ongoing border funding battle and partial government shutdown.... He presented students with several quotes that sounded a lot like President Trump's speeches, but actually came from then-Senator Barack Obama, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Hillary Clinton -- including:
“Illegal Immigration is wrong, plain and simple. Until the American people are convinced we will stop future flows of illegal immigration, we will make no progress.” - Schumer, 2009
“We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented and unchecked” - Obama, 2005
“I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders.” - Clinton, 2015​
Students described the quotes as “dehumanizing,” “problematic” and “jingoist," with one student dubbing it "hateful speech" and another claiming the comments contained "racial biases."... The were in for a surprise, however, when Phillips informed that prominent Democrats actually made the remarks.

~~~~~~
People both young and old get all their news from their smart phones and computers. The fact that these college students were clueless about this indicates just how thorough a job of censorship is being done by MSN, Google, Facebook and others in Silicon Valley This is becoming critical it is we should do something about it.
Politicians of the Progressive Left have only supported increased border security as part of a huge amnesty give-away “comprehensive package.” They NEVER really supported border security in and of itself, and were always dead set against “border security first,” which was really a GOP reaction to leftist dithering on the matter.
Just think: It was Obama who starved the Border Patrol of resources and who put in all sorts of rules basically telling them to let people in. Sure, he had a lot of “deportations,” but that was a statistical at the border game to make his numbers look good. Remember, he didn’t do squat when the trains of aliens rolled north through Mexico. There is a claim that 693 miles of border wall were built during the Obama administration. That is a lie/falsehood/misstatement of fact. Most of the wall was already there constructed by previous administrations before Bush 43 and Obama. Actually under the Obama administration less than one tenth of that was constructed as new border wall. Whatever happened to the $56 billion alloted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006?

This is not as surprising as it may seem. I work with and around College students every day, and some of them are shocked to find out about things like basic hygiene practices exist or that the pyramids of Egypt weren't built at the same time as the Eiffel Tower or that the square root of 2 is not 1. The people we have coming out of high school are pretty clueless.

That said, sure, the media do present a biased picture of the world. However, the shape of that bias doesn't favor one partisan view over another. It's a very different kind of bias.

Re: How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Securit

Isolated incident. Jonathan Haidt wrote a book about it, The Coddling of the American Mind. these sorts of incidents happen in the areas I posted -the most-. Not routine in the areas you posted.

Stop with the moral outrage horse****.

Would you say that claiming Mexico would pay for it and then demanding that the US tax payer pay for it is "consistent" or "inconsistent?"

Neither. Trump wanted Mexico to pay for it, preferably directly. But he also never said HOW Mexico would pay for it. Which means that if Trump can get them to pay for it indirectly while taxpayer funds are used temporarily then its still a promise kept. But then most people knew that Mexico would never pay for it directly. To do so would mean them acknowledging that they are partially to blame. Something NO country would ever admit to. I know you like to think of Trump supporters as being "stupid" but that is far from factual.

Trump supporters will say anything. It's the new culture of anti-truth they've created for themselves.

Trump wanted Mexico to pay for it, preferably directly. But he also never said HOW Mexico would pay for it. Which means that if Trump can get them to pay for it indirectly while taxpayer funds are used temporarily then its still a promise kept. But then most people knew that Mexico would never pay for it directly. To do so would mean them acknowledging that they are partially to blame. Something NO country would ever admit to. I know you like to think of Trump supporters as being "stupid" but that is far from factual.

If Trump supporters knew that Mexico would never pay for it then all that means is they were in on the con. They don't get to have a wall just because they were consciously conning the rest of the country. In fact, that's a pretty good reason to deny them their wall on that merit alone.

Yes, the entire Democratic caucus in the Senate voted to pass a bill introduced by Schumer in 2013 that would extend the barrier by 700 miles.

The Democrats supported this barrier since it started in 1994. It seems there’s some selective amnesia about that fact. What does it matter why Trump wants it? The Democrats had their own reasons for supporting it for over 20 years until they suddenly and inexplicably changed their minds.

Bold: Oh...I don't think its all that inexplicable.....

Was it a "barrier" or was it a "wall"? Also, why did they agree to vote for it, and why was it put in the bill?

The proposal on the table right now is a $5 billion extension of the existing barrier. They didn’t just agree to vote for it. They introduced the bill.

Did they claim a foreign country would pay for it? Did they claim immigrants were bringing thousands of terrorists with them? Did they call immigrants diseased and rapists in order to scare us?

Why do any of those things matter? Are you saying that Democrats are keeping this shutdown going over a barrier they supported for over 20 years because Trump is a big fat meanie? It may come as news to you, but the need to complete the barrier doesn’t have an existential dependency on Donald Trump’s opinion of Mexicans.

Last edited:

It's ironic that the quotes used directly refute the Republican accusations that Democrats don't want border security, or that they didn't enforce immigration laws. This thread only points out right wing hypocrisy.

Trump supporters will say anything. It's the new culture of anti-truth they've created for themselves.

If Trump supporters knew that Mexico would never pay for it then all that means is they were in on the con. They don't get to have a wall just because they were consciously conning the rest of the country. In fact, that's a pretty good reason to deny them their wall on that merit alone.

Nice spin there. But that's all that it was. Spin. Never actually addressing what was said. In fact it purposely ignored parts of what was said just to make the "spin" workable.

The proposal on the table right now is a $5 billion extension of the existing barrier. They didn’t just agree to vote for it. They introduced the bill.

Why do any of those things matter? Are you saying that Democrats are keeping this shutdown going over a barrier they supported for over 20 years because Trump is a big fat meanie?

Are you really confused why lying compulsively about a serious issue is problematic?

Stop conflating "border security" with "two thousand mile wall"
Stop lying about anyone wanting to build a two thousand mile wall.

Nice spin there. But that's all that it was. Spin. Never actually addressing what was said. In fact it purposely ignored parts of what was said just to make the "spin" workable.

What you did was spin the fact that Mexico paying for the wall was a con and you were in on it. And somehow that's supposed to make the rest of the country feel okay about being conned.

You get no wall.

Are you really confused why lying compulsively about a serious issue is problematic?

I’m pointing out that its irrelevant because the need to complete the barrier, which Democrats supported for over 20 years and advocated for this very extension just 5 years ago, doesn’t have an existential dependency on Donald Trump’s opinion of Mexicans.

Isolated incident. Jonathan Haidt wrote a book about it, The Coddling of the American Mind. these sorts of incidents happen in the areas I posted -the most-. Not routine in the areas you posted.

Stop with the moral outrage horse****.

No moral outrage, if you cant hack in the public square with differing opinions, why bother to spread yours? You aren't defending it, you are weakening it by not exposing it to scrutiny and criticism.

Just a heads up, but I live in Illinois, the UIC and NW have both been going through phases where they want safe spaces. Its nowhere near as isolated as you are portraying.

It's ironic that the quotes used directly refute the Republican accusations that Democrats don't want border security, or that they didn't enforce immigration laws. This thread only points out right wing hypocrisy.

To be more precise, Democrats don't want border security to the point of actually severely limiting illegal immigration. They want it to stop violent crime, but they still want that potential voter base that is acquired through amnesty type programs. Republicans on the other hand have shown that they want it to stop both...however they're often too beholden to big donors to really care about it all that much. And their big donors love illegal immigration because it saves them money. So really both sides "want it" but both sides also "don't want it".

I’m pointing out that is irrelevant because the need to complete the barrier, which Democrats supported for over 20 years, doesn’t have an existential dependency on Donald Trump’s opinion of Mexicans.

You've failed to make a compelling argument to the rest of the country of the need for a wall. If I had to guess, I'd say they were turned off by the fact that Republicans lied about the wall basically 100% of the time (even your own argument is disingenuous in the extreme).

Republicans want to live in a universe in which there are no consequences for lying. You do not get to live in that universe.

What you did was spin the fact that Mexico paying for the wall was a con and you were in on it. And somehow that's supposed to make the rest of the country feel okay about being conned.

You get no wall.

You just keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you'll eventually convince yourself that is true. If you haven't already. ;)

To be more precise, Democrats don't want border security to the point of actually severely limiting illegal immigration. They want it to stop violent crime, but they still want that potential voter base that is acquired through amnesty type programs. Republicans on the other hand have shown that they want it to stop both...however they're often too beholden to big donors to really care about it all that much. And their big donors love illegal immigration because it saves them money. So really both sides "want it" but both sides also "don't want it".

You should also revive the "thousands of diseased terrorists are flooding across the border to kill and rape you" argument, because that was so compelling the first time around.

You should also revive the "thousands of diseased terrorists are flooding across the border to kill and rape you" argument, because that was so compelling the first time around.

I never said or talked about that so you just keep trying there bud. ;)

You just keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you'll eventually convince yourself that is true. If you haven't already. ;)

It's your own position. "Yeah, Trump claimed Mexico would pay for the wall, but we knew that was bull**** so you have to pay for the wall whether you like it or not."

In case you haven't figured it out yet, you've lost the national narrative on this, probably because people don't like being compulsively lied to.

I never said or talked about that so you just keep trying there bud. ;)

You were throwing in every scare tactic you could, so I thought I'd just round those out with the other fabulous arguments Trump has made in favor of the wall.

Also, are you even the slightest bit aware that when you say, "but they still want that potential voter base that is acquired through amnesty type programs," what you're doing is projecting one of your primary fears of the existence of immigrants?

How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Security​

https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01...es-border-wall-surprised-it-was-obama-hillary
Students at American University reacted unfavorably to calls for increased border security to stem the flow of illegal immigrants, expressing shock that prominent Democrats have agreed with the idea in the past.... Campus Reform's Cabot Phillips visited the university's Washington, D.C. campus amid the ongoing border funding battle and partial government shutdown.... He presented students with several quotes that sounded a lot like President Trump's speeches, but actually came from then-Senator Barack Obama, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Hillary Clinton -- including:
“Illegal Immigration is wrong, plain and simple. Until the American people are convinced we will stop future flows of illegal immigration, we will make no progress.” - Schumer, 2009
“We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented and unchecked” - Obama, 2005
“I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders.” - Clinton, 2015​
Students described the quotes as “dehumanizing,” “problematic” and “jingoist," with one student dubbing it "hateful speech" and another claiming the comments contained "racial biases."... The were in for a surprise, however, when Phillips informed that prominent Democrats actually made the remarks.

~~~~~~
People both young and old get all their news from their smart phones and computers. The fact that these college students were clueless about this indicates just how thorough a job of censorship is being done by MSN, Google, Facebook and others in Silicon Valley This is becoming critical it is we should do something about it.
Politicians of the Progressive Left have only supported increased border security as part of a huge amnesty give-away “comprehensive package.” They NEVER really supported border security in and of itself, and were always dead set against “border security first,” which was really a GOP reaction to leftist dithering on the matter.
Just think: It was Obama who starved the Border Patrol of resources and who put in all sorts of rules basically telling them to let people in. Sure, he had a lot of “deportations,” but that was a statistical at the border game to make his numbers look good. Remember, he didn’t do squat when the trains of aliens rolled north through Mexico. There is a claim that 693 miles of border wall were built during the Obama administration. That is a lie/falsehood/misstatement of fact. Most of the wall was already there constructed by previous administrations before Bush 43 and Obama. Actually under the Obama administration less than one tenth of that was constructed as new border wall. Whatever happened to the $56 billion alloted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006?

You mean they're all shocked to hear that their leftist heroes are all a bunch of lying hypocrites? :doh

You were throwing in every scare tactic you could, so I thought I'd just round those out with the other fabulous arguments Trump has made in favor of the wall.

Problem being is that I've never argued such so applying it to me was nothing more than you projecting and making a strawman argument. :shrug:

Also, are you even the slightest bit aware that when you say, "but they still want that potential voter base that is acquired through amnesty type programs," what you're doing is projecting one of your primary fears of the existence of immigrants?

Except for the fact that I don't care who anyone votes for as I think parties are worthless. Be it the Democrat Party or the Republican Party or the Green Party or <insert whatever other party you want to here>. I've had that same stance regarding parties ever since I signed up here at DP (and way before ta boot) and you can find many posts of mine saying such. So nope, not even close to one of my "primary fears".

If you think that pointing out Republicans' blatant dishonesty at every step of the way is "immature", then I can take that.

Well, I guess if you think using a Lego brick version of the China wall points that out it must be OK. BTW never said "immature" in my post, you may have considered your post mature, just suggesting something perhaps "more" mature.

Problem being is that I've never argued such so applying it to me was nothing more than you projecting and making a strawman argument. :shrug:

Except for the fact that I don't care who anyone votes for as I think parties are worthless. Be it the Democrat Party or the Republican Party or the Green Party or <insert whatever other party you want to here>. I've had that same stance regarding parties ever since I signed up here at DP (and way before ta boot) and you can find many posts of mine saying such. So nope, not even close to one of my "primary fears".

You may say that it's not one of your primary fears, but that's precisely what you were projecting just the same.

This is why those kids will graduate with a mountain of debt and work for McDonalds scrubbing out french fryers.

... and still vote Democratic.

Back
Top Bottom