• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Security

Re: How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Securit

To be more precise, Democrats don't want border security to the point of actually severely limiting illegal immigration. They want it to stop violent crime, but they still want that potential voter base that is acquired through amnesty type programs. Republicans on the other hand have shown that they want it to stop both...however they're often too beholden to big donors to really care about it all that much. And their big donors love illegal immigration because it saves them money. So really both sides "want it" but both sides also "don't want it".

Although I don't necessarily agree with the entirety of your post, I commend you for it. The unfortunate fact is that under current law with the resources provided it is impossible to significantly limit illegal immigration and it is impossible to seal the borders. Comprehensive immigration reform is needed but there is no political will for it. As long as that is the case nothing will change.

Re: How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Securit

If they knew that the wall was a winning argument, they would be calling it a "wall" and not "border security." The Republican narrative is flailing about and they're grabbing for anything they can hold on to in order to maintain their position.

In a couple weeks they'll deny they every asked for a wall in exactly the same way they're pretending Trump never told us for a straight year that Mexico would pay for it.

No, no,... I can almost guarantee it, but the border barrier issue is not going away and Trump is not going to reopen the gov. until he gets his funds.
Mark my words.

I'll even earmark this thread and come back to it in a couple of weeks, and we'll see who is right about this.

Frankly, I think the Democrats are hoping this issue goes away because the 'we need a fence' quotes prominent Democrats like Obama, Biden, Schumer, Clinton and many more are all coming back to bite them in their lying hypocritical asses.

You may say that it's not one of your primary fears, but that's precisely what you were projecting just the same.

If that were true then I wouldn't have said what I did about Republicans in that same post where you pulled that supposed "primary fears" idiocy from.

Hate to tell you this Cardinal but you're not going to "win" against me on this one. Your whole schtick for this argument is based on parties, but my posting history on parties is consistent and has been since I've been here at DP...and that is that I don't like them. I have no problem pointing out the negatives of both Republicans and Democrats (or of parties in general). I also have no problem supporting either parties positive positions. You should have simply stuck with an "I don't agree" argument as it would have held far far more weight than your current line of argument.

College students are just that, students. That anything shocks them is no surprise. Among the points of being a college student is to obtain a deep and broad enough understanding of the world in which they live so that few if anything flabbergasts them.

When they finally reach that point, they'll turn into conservatives.

If that were true then I wouldn't have said what I did about Republicans in that same post where you pulled that supposed "primary fears" idiocy from.

Hate to tell you this Cardinal but you're not going to "win" against me on this one. Your whole schtick for this argument is based on parties, but my posting history on parties is consistent and has been since I've been here at DP...and that is that I don't like them. I have no problem pointing out the negatives of both Republicans and Democrats (or of parties in general). I also have no problem supporting either parties positive positions. You should have simply stuck with an "I don't agree" argument as it would have held far far more weight than your current line of argument.

Agree...
I noticed this week that even some congressional Democrats have been using the fear angle when discussing the the border wall issue.
Weak sauce.

How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Security​

https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01...es-border-wall-surprised-it-was-obama-hillary
Students at American University reacted unfavorably to calls for increased border security to stem the flow of illegal immigrants, expressing shock that prominent Democrats have agreed with the idea in the past.... Campus Reform's Cabot Phillips visited the university's Washington, D.C. campus amid the ongoing border funding battle and partial government shutdown.... He presented students with several quotes that sounded a lot like President Trump's speeches, but actually came from then-Senator Barack Obama, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Hillary Clinton -- including:
“Illegal Immigration is wrong, plain and simple. Until the American people are convinced we will stop future flows of illegal immigration, we will make no progress.” - Schumer, 2009
“We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented and unchecked” - Obama, 2005
“I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders.” - Clinton, 2015​
Students described the quotes as “dehumanizing,” “problematic” and “jingoist," with one student dubbing it "hateful speech" and another claiming the comments contained "racial biases."... The were in for a surprise, however, when Phillips informed that prominent Democrats actually made the remarks.

~~~~~~
People both young and old get all their news from their smart phones and computers. The fact that these college students were clueless about this indicates just how thorough a job of censorship is being done by MSN, Google, Facebook and others in Silicon Valley This is becoming critical it is we should do something about it.
Politicians of the Progressive Left have only supported increased border security as part of a huge amnesty give-away “comprehensive package.” They NEVER really supported border security in and of itself, and were always dead set against “border security first,” which was really a GOP reaction to leftist dithering on the matter.
Just think: It was Obama who starved the Border Patrol of resources and who put in all sorts of rules basically telling them to let people in. Sure, he had a lot of “deportations,” but that was a statistical at the border game to make his numbers look good. Remember, he didn’t do squat when the trains of aliens rolled north through Mexico. There is a claim that 693 miles of border wall were built during the Obama administration. That is a lie/falsehood/misstatement of fact. Most of the wall was already there constructed by previous administrations before Bush 43 and Obama. Actually under the Obama administration less than one tenth of that was constructed as new border wall. Whatever happened to the $56 billion alloted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006?

I don't think MSM is saying Democrats don't want border security which they have voted for many times. They are against Trumps concept of a wall. Advocating censorship of the media is flat out wrong banana republic strong man authoritarian tactics. As un American as you can get. Conspiracy theory nuts might buy it but rational humans don't.

Although I don't necessarily agree with the entirety of your post, I commend you for it. The unfortunate fact is that under current law with the resources provided it is impossible to significantly limit illegal immigration and it is impossible to seal the borders. Comprehensive immigration reform is needed but there is no political will for it. As long as that is the case nothing will change.

I can easily agree with you here.

“I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders.” - Clinton, 2015

You should read more than just the title.

Two thousand mile barrier, was it?

You want to add a wall on the Canadian border, or are you also willing to admit not all walls are financially justified?

Agree...
I noticed this week that even some congressional Democrats have been using the fear angle when discussing the the border wall issue.
Weak sauce.

What? The entire right wing case for a wall is based on fear.

It's your own position. "Yeah, Trump claimed Mexico would pay for the wall, but we knew that was bull**** so you have to pay for the wall whether you like it or not."

In case you haven't figured it out yet, you've lost the national narrative on this, probably because people don't like being compulsively lied to.

I can't help notice though that you don't seem to mind being lied to though... Different rules for yourself?

“Illegal Immigration is wrong, plain and simple. Until the American people are convinced we will stop future flows of illegal immigration, we will make no progress.” - Schumer, 2009
“We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented and unchecked” - Obama, 2005
“I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders.” - Clinton, 2015

Stop conflating "border security" with "two thousand mile wall"

A wall isn't really border security anyway.

Not going to win? Kal, your position on this is already lost. Even if I'm wrong about your personal fear of immigrants voting for Democrats, it's really a subatomic-sized victory on your part, because your overall position is lost.

The majority of the country...

1)Doesn't want a wall.
2)Doesn't believe immigration is a "crisis."
3)Doesn't want a shutdown.
4)Blames Trump and Republicans for that shutdown.

You lost this issue up and down. There are many reasons for this, but I'd have to say that Republicans lying about the wall issue every step of the way didn't help.

Oh, and

Last edited:

Two thousand mile barrier, was it?

Who said anything about a 2k mile wall?

You want to add a wall on the Canadian border, or are you also willing to admit not all walls are financially justified?

Never said otherwise. :shrug:

Not going to win? Kal, your position on this is already lost. Even if I'm wrong about your personal fear of immigrants voting for Democrats, it's really a subatomic-sized victory on your part, because your overall position is lost.

1)Doesn't want a wall.

You lost this issue up and down. There are many reasons for this, but I'd have to say that Republicans lying about the wall issue every step of the way didn't help.
Lol, it was entirely because of this:

His ideologically idiotic supporters have to go back 12+ years to find something, anything, they can compare to that 2000m Gillette razor they want to build using eminent domain, wasting billions when there are tangible housing, and opioid crises.

They're failing and the reason for that is that their Savior Salesman can't stay coherent for longer than 15 seconds without being followed by 20 min pauses of rambling to please the country's self declared racists

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Last edited:

Lol, it was entirely because of this:

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Seriously, there are so many reasons for Republicans losing on this issue that I think I can be forgiven for forgetting some of the biggest and most obvious reasons for this. **** it, I'm going back and editing that into my post.

Republicans have been so horribly dishonest about this issue that as a result they get nothing at all. If you want a wall so badly, you can buy this and build it yourself:

View attachment 67247710

Noted: you did not answer my question regarding the Democratic plan. Why is that?

My statement of "A wall, a fence, sensors, border security. I don't care what word - semantics someone wants to use. Politicians should address the issue of illegal aliens." makes my position pretty clear. Elected officials need to address the illegal alien issue. I don't care how.

Bold: Oh...I don't think its all that inexplicable.....

~~~~~~
Then explain Chuckie Schumer touting the:
Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borde...ty,_and_Immigration_Modernization_Act_of_2013
The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 was a proposed immigration reform bill introduced by Sen. Charles Schumer in the United States Senate and co-sponsored by the other seven members of the "Gang of Eight", a bipartisan group of U.S. Senators who wrote and negotiated the bill. It was introduced into the Senate of the 113th United States Congress on April 16, 2013.
Title I includes a number of provisions which are explained more explicitly in the bill's text. This is a short list of some of them:
Definitions: "Rural, high-trafficked areas" are rural areas through which drugs and illegal aliens are routinely smuggled, as designated by the Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The "Southwest border region" is the area in the United States that is within 100 miles of the Southern border.
Additional U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers are added - 3,500 additional federal law enforcement officers to be trained by 2017
Authorization for the National Guard to be deployed to the Southwest border for the following purposes:
(1) to construct fencing, including double-layer and triple-layer fencing;
(2) to increase ground-based mobile surveillance systems;
(3) to deploy additional unarmed, unmanned aerial systems and manned aircraft sufficient to maintain continuous surveillance of the Southern Border;
(4) to deploy and provide capability for radio communications interoperability between U.S. Customs and Border Protection and State, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies;
(5) to construct checkpoints along the Southern border to bridge the gap to long-term permanent checkpoints; and
(6) to provide assistance to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, particularly in rural, high-trafficked areas, as designated by the Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Authorizes and funds border crossing prosecutions and related court costs in the Tucson Sector at a level sufficient to increase the average number of prosecutions from 70 a day to 210 a day ($50 million from the $3 billion Border Security Fund). It also provides increased funding for Operation Stonegarden to assist state and local law enforcement to help prevent illegal activity along the border.
Provides additional funding for additional border patrol stations and forward operating bases to interdict individuals entering the United States unlawfully immediately after such individuals cross the Southern border and to provide full operational support in rural, high-trafficked areas.
Provides funding for vital radio communications and interoperability between CBP -Office of Border Patrol and state, local, and tribal law enforcement to assist in apprehension efforts along the border.

What? The entire right wing case for a wall is based on fear.

Staying with the thread premise...
So you admit that prominent Democrats who are quoted by the O/P made their statements originating from FEAR... :lol: Okay,..

How about all the Democrats who voted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006? (Biden, Obama, Clinton, Schumer, and 22 other Democrats)
Their votes must have been based on FEAR because of course you know... ;)

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/109-2006/s262

I can't help notice though that you don't seem to mind being lied to though... Different rules for yourself?

Therefore we should have a seven hundred foot ice wall on the entire southern border, right?

Some day you people are going to have to learn "I support improving border security" does not mean "I support any ridiculous, wasteful plan any jackass comes up with." Not all walls are equal.

Staying with the thread premise...
So you admit that prominent Democrats who are quoted by the O/P made their statements originating from FEAR... :lol: Okay,..

How about all the Democrats who voted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006? (Biden, Obama, Clinton, Schumer, and 22 other Democrats)
Their votes must have been based on FEAR because of course you know... ;)

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/109-2006/s262

None of these are people calling for a two thousand mile wall, or suggesting this is some dramatic crisis.

~~~~~~
Then explain Chuckie Schumer touting the:
Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borde...ty,_and_Immigration_Modernization_Act_of_2013
The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 was a proposed immigration reform bill introduced by Sen. Charles Schumer in the United States Senate and co-sponsored by the other seven members of the "Gang of Eight", a bipartisan group of U.S. Senators who wrote and negotiated the bill. It was introduced into the Senate of the 113th United States Congress on April 16, 2013.
Title I includes a number of provisions which are explained more explicitly in the bill's text. This is a short list of some of them:
Definitions: "Rural, high-trafficked areas" are rural areas through which drugs and illegal aliens are routinely smuggled, as designated by the Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The "Southwest border region" is the area in the United States that is within 100 miles of the Southern border.
Additional U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers are added - 3,500 additional federal law enforcement officers to be trained by 2017
Authorization for the National Guard to be deployed to the Southwest border for the following purposes:
(1) to construct fencing, including double-layer and triple-layer fencing;
(2) to increase ground-based mobile surveillance systems;
(3) to deploy additional unarmed, unmanned aerial systems and manned aircraft sufficient to maintain continuous surveillance of the Southern Border;
(4) to deploy and provide capability for radio communications interoperability between U.S. Customs and Border Protection and State, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies;
(5) to construct checkpoints along the Southern border to bridge the gap to long-term permanent checkpoints; and
(6) to provide assistance to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, particularly in rural, high-trafficked areas, as designated by the Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Authorizes and funds border crossing prosecutions and related court costs in the Tucson Sector at a level sufficient to increase the average number of prosecutions from 70 a day to 210 a day ($50 million from the $3 billion Border Security Fund). It also provides increased funding for Operation Stonegarden to assist state and local law enforcement to help prevent illegal activity along the border.
Provides additional funding for additional border patrol stations and forward operating bases to interdict individuals entering the United States unlawfully immediately after such individuals cross the Southern border and to provide full operational support in rural, high-trafficked areas.
Provides funding for vital radio communications and interoperability between CBP -Office of Border Patrol and state, local, and tribal law enforcement to assist in apprehension efforts along the border.

So Democrats are lining up in opposition, even to the provisions they approved in 2013.
Cute...:lol:

Not going to win? Kal, your position on this is already lost. Even if I'm wrong about your personal fear of immigrants voting for Democrats, it's really a subatomic-sized victory on your part,

1: You are wrong. :shrug:

2: I was never looking for a victory. In fact I never look for one on a forum. But I know others do. Which is why I said what I did to you and put quotes around the word "win".

because your overall position is lost.

1)Doesn't want a wall.

Since I was not arguing about any of that in this thread I haven't even lost on any of these "scores".

1: I'm well aware of what the Polls say. Would it surprise you to note that I do not want The Wall either? I would prefer other things to reduce illegal immigration myself. And have stated such in many past posts.

2: Again, I'm well aware of what the polls say. But just because the majority thinks otherwise does not mean its not. The majority does not get to dictate reality. And 30k-60k illegals entering the US monthly is imo a crisis. (30k apprehended with another 30k slipping past and not being apprehended as estimated by our own government)

3: Naturally. Most people don't want government shutdowns regardless of the reasoning behind it so this is nothing new.

4: Again, well aware of the polls. Again, the majority does not get to dictate reality. And reality shows that both Democrats and Republicans could end this shutdown any time that they wanted to if they either A: Gave Trump his $5 billion or B: made a veto proof effort to pass a bill to re-open the government. Which means the blame goes to ALL involved. Including Trump, Democrats and Republicans. I have been consistent on this also as I have said the same thing during each government shutdown that I have lived through.

How About That?: College Students Shocked to Hear Hillary, Obama & Schumer Pushed Border Security​

https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01...es-border-wall-surprised-it-was-obama-hillary
Students at American University reacted unfavorably to calls for increased border security to stem the flow of illegal immigrants, expressing shock that prominent Democrats have agreed with the idea in the past.... Campus Reform's Cabot Phillips visited the university's Washington, D.C. campus amid the ongoing border funding battle and partial government shutdown.... He presented students with several quotes that sounded a lot like President Trump's speeches, but actually came from then-Senator Barack Obama, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Hillary Clinton -- including:
“I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders.” - Clinton, 2015​
Students described the quotes as “dehumanizing,” “problematic” and “jingoist," with one student dubbing it "hateful speech" and another claiming the comments contained "racial biases."... The were in for a surprise, however, when Phillips informed that prominent Democrats actually made the remarks.

~~~~~~
People both young and old get all their news from their smart phones and computers. The fact that these college students were clueless about this indicates just how thorough a job of censorship is being done by MSN, Google, Facebook and others in Silicon Valley This is becoming critical it is we should do something about it.
Politicians of the Progressive Left have only supported increased border security as part of a huge amnesty give-away “comprehensive package.” They NEVER really supported border security in and of itself, and were always dead set against “border security first,” which was really a GOP reaction to leftist dithering on the matter.
Just think: It was Obama who starved the Border Patrol of resources and who put in all sorts of rules basically telling them to let people in. Sure, he had a lot of “deportations,” but that was a statistical at the border game to make his numbers look good. Remember, he didn’t do squat when the trains of aliens rolled north through Mexico. There is a claim that 693 miles of border wall were built during the Obama administration. That is a lie/falsehood/misstatement of fact. Most of the wall was already there constructed by previous administrations before Bush 43 and Obama. Actually under the Obama administration less than one tenth of that was constructed as new border wall. Whatever happened to the $56 billion alloted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006?

There's stupid people everywhere. The problem with videos like this are

1) While Democrats have endorsed boarder security and fences in the past, it dishonest to try to make that seem as if that automatically should mean support for a huge ass wall that Trump wants. It further speaks to the dishonesty of the right-propaganda-machines who kept saying things like Dems want open boarders because they didn't support Trump's wall. Not many actually want open boarders, and I haven't seen any in the mainstream Democratic party that have. They have supported boarder security and fences and technologies, just not thousands of miles of steel wall.

2) These sorts of videos will always parse out anyone who "knew" the answer. Jay Leno used to do things like that, you can see videos on people trying to ban dihydrogen monoxide. It's not to say there are quite a few people who get it, but they never show the people who do. Mostly it's for fun, but it can be used (much like this case) to insinuate that there is a far wider population of the ignorant than there may really be.

Oh baloney. The evangelical, hysterical, rabid right wingers do the same odious bull****. "ALL COLLEGES ARE LIBERAL DUMPS!" Yet only colleges in the NE and West have any sort of safe space issues.

Blaming the youth is idiotic. The problem is the current flock of college kid's PARENTS.

did you say something in all of that no you didn't.
let us know when you can actually form a coherent argument that actually address something
that was said.

no when you are 22 etc your parents are no longer to blame for you being naive. it is all on your to
continue to be ignorant of what is going on around you.

Back
Top Bottom