• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Home Births

They are NOT midwives, they assist midwives. They do not deliver babies. My daughter went through the training, and they merely assist. They primarily act as a substitute for a father, when one isn't present....but not solely.

Anyway, birthing/obstetrics is a strange animal in the medical world. The revival of c-sections was the biggest factor in women surviving births. The reintroduction of the c-section with the cross incision in the late 1800's reduced deaths dramatically. On the opposite side is the fact that Obstetricians carry the highest level of malpractice insurance, because they are often blamed for anything that might be wrong with the baby, even if the mother snorted coke, drank and smoked for 9 months. So what we have here is possibly an over use of a procedure to counter the crazy liability issue with this profession. Many OB doctors have gotten out of delivering babies altogether........they very reason most got into the profession to begin with. Sad, is what it is.

That is true. C-sections can save lives, but at the same time if there aren't any expected complications, natural delivery is a healthier alternative which a person would normally recover from much more quickly with less serious problems down the road. Also, incising the uterus repeated has effects too.

That is true. C-sections can save lives, but at the same time if there aren't any expected complications, natural delivery is a healthier alternative which a person would normally recover from much more quickly with less serious problems down the road. Also, incising the uterus repeated has effects too.

I realize that, and I don't think my post implied it didn't. And btw, I wouldn't call natural childbirth an alternative. A c-section is an alternative. Natural birth helps the baby get breathing and helps to remove excess fluid from the abdomen through the contraction of muscles. C-sections are passive. Two of my three children were born via c-section.

I realize that, and I don't think my post implied it didn't. And btw, I wouldn't call natural childbirth an alternative. A c-section is an alternative. Natural birth helps the baby get breathing and helps to remove excess fluid from the abdomen through the contraction of muscles. C-sections are passive. Two of my three children were born via c-section.

You'd be surprised how many woman actually choose the cesarean section, to avoid pain, because they're scared, because they want an "exact" date, because of a lot of silly reasons. That's why I called it an "alternative." It actually IS an alternative nowadays.

You'd be surprised how many woman actually choose the cesarean section, to avoid pain, because they're scared, because they want an "exact" date, because of a lot of silly reasons. That's why I called it an "alternative." It actually IS an alternative nowadays.

Yes - and that's the crux of the issue: they are given the CHOICE. Drs should refuse that unless it's an emergency - or to prevent an absolute emergency.

So, what the hell is wrong with doctors, why do they do it when it's not necessary?

I was scheduled for a cesarean for my first child because supposedly I was too small - and he was too big - and I was overdue by several weeks - and it was destined for tragedy (thus, also, why I wasn't at all prepared for birth - I prepped myself for the idea of the C)

Birth - was much less frightening. It was pain, which I could handle. I was up and around after a few days. GREAT. A C-section, though - no thanks . . . pass. I wouldn't OPT for that. The very idea gave me nightmares.

Being induced gave me nightmares too. *sigh* - you've never seen two people so polar opposite: me pale with fear, and my husband giddy as a little **** head taking me in for that on.

Yes - and that's the crux of the issue: they are given the CHOICE. Drs should refuse that unless it's an emergency - or to prevent an absolute emergency.

So, what the hell is wrong with doctors, why do they do it when it's not necessary?

I was scheduled for a cesarean for my first child because supposedly I was too small - and he was too big - and I was overdue by several weeks - and it was destined for tragedy (thus, also, why I wasn't at all prepared for birth - I prepped myself for the idea of the C)

Birth - was much less frightening. It was pain, which I could handle. I was up and around after a few days. GREAT. A C-section, though - no thanks . . . pass. I wouldn't OPT for that. The very idea gave me nightmares.

Being induced gave me nightmares too. *sigh* - you've never seen two people so polar opposite: me pale with fear, and my husband giddy as a little **** head taking me in for that on.

I can't say why it's a choice. Could it be because the hospitals make more money by performing cesarean sections as opposed to delivering a child the natural way? I can't say for sure, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising that money would play a role.

Yeah, I agree. I would never choose to be opened up.

I'm a medical transcriptionist, and I type about this all the time. A lot of women who have had a C-section are just afraid to go through with VBAC I think, so they always opt for the C-section instead. It seems as if you've already had a C-section, then the doctors are more apt to repeat that procedure than if you had prior vaginal deliveries.

That's true. It's more difficult and more dangerous to have a VBAC than a regular vaginal birth. So a lot of c-sections do get recommended there. I'm not an expert on that risk, but I do know my Mom had 3 c-sections because her doctor recommended she not try a VBAC. I think they just weren't done back then because she had the "classic" incision that is more damaging to the uterus.

That's true. It's more difficult and more dangerous to have a VBAC than a regular vaginal birth. So a lot of c-sections do get recommended there. I'm not an expert on that risk, but I do know my Mom had 3 c-sections because her doctor recommended she not try a VBAC. I think they just weren't done back then because she had the "classic" incision that is more damaging to the uterus.

Your mom probably had some kind of complication that would occur no matter what, maybe a narrow pelvic opening or some other type of problem. I'm sure that there are plenty of women who don't have any other option except a C-section. However, I know of many times when the doctor would like to try VBAC, but the patient refuses for whatever reason.

I've had four children - nothing but risky pregnancies and deliveries.

You know what?
Doctors are dishonest, don't explain true risks, and mothers are left with vague suggestions of 'the doom that might happen' (if even that much) - but they aren't left with enough specifics to actually get them to overcome their FEARS or CONCERNS. They are not well informed - about anything.

All aspects of pregnancy are:
1) Watered down - it's natural, it's no big deal.
2) Ignored - it's natural, it's no big deal.
3) Dealt with quietly - not involving Mom, not informing Dad, etc.
4) When you do ask questions, you will likely get an answer that's washed out, lightweight, and concerned for your sensitive feelings more than honesty.

People don't trust OBGYN's because OGBYN's can't be trusted to be brutally honest. The DANGERS of birth and pregnancy are not DISCUSSED with anyone.

Example:
What happens when you push during delivery when they tell you NOT TO?

- I never found out from my own actions and I was never told what could happen - I overheard a NURSE complaining through a door while I was at the clinic, pregnant with my 4th child, about a patient: "well she pushed when they weren't ready and she had a rectal prolapse" (paraphrasing to put it nicely)

OH! I had no idea that's what could happen . . . so after 3 kids and experiencing all sorts of problems I never knew why on earth they tell you to 'stop pushing' when the baby's almost born. Mid hard labor - that's not when you think to ask about that ****. It just irritates you when they say it, and never once do they say WHY. So - it made no sense to me, never once did a nurse or doctor ever dare TELL me what the real concerns were and what could happen.

I guarantee you when they said to her "Don't push" she didn't think "Oh, I might permanently injure myself to a point of requiring surgery" - and in fact, it feels unnatural not to when you're at the brink of delivery. So I consider the tight-lipped delivery-room nature to be directly at fault for failing to inform the patient of the issues.

So - I promise you that women like my sister and the one you're talking about had no idea that "the baby's too big" would mean "the baby might get stuck and become permanently paralyzed" . . . etc.

I guarantee you they thought "It's delivery, it's been done for thousands of years, it's no big deal" - and DOCTORS being hush-hush are a large part of that. Unless you're in the medical field or have experienced it first hand - you have no reason to KNOW of the risks.

...You want to know why parents are stupid?
...and I want to know why when I DID ask questions - I received light weight, false answers in return. . . they opt for the "I didn't want to emotionally upset you" - when OBVIOUSLY they should.

That's terrible that your experience has been doctors being dishonest with you. I do understand that urge to want to tell people everything will be fine and not to worry, but that's not fair to them. I wasn't there for the conversation this woman's OB had with her about a home delivery. Maybe he wasn't forceful enough or didn't paint a clear enough picture. After all, he couldn't have known with absolutely certainty anything bad would happen. I can't really blame this mother too much. She had her other children born at home and they turned out just fine. I just wish there was more awareness of what could go wrong. And the all natural crowd preaching about how childbirth is natural and nobody ever needs to be induced or have a c-section, and doctors only want to force their beliefs on you and take your money would realize the real harm they are doing. There has to be a balance and some common sense used.

Your mom probably had some kind of complication that would occur no matter what, maybe a narrow pelvic opening or some other type of problem. I'm sure that there are plenty of women who don't have any other option except a C-section. However, I know of many times when the doctor would like to try VBAC, but the patient refuses for whatever reason.

She just had failure to progress with my older brother, then scheduled c-sections for the rest of us. That's just what they did I believe. She was never told of any other reason for it other than they cut her uterus vertically instead of horizontally which does a lot more damage to the uterus.

She just had failure to progress with my older brother, then scheduled c-sections for the rest of us. That's just what they did I believe. She was never told of any other reason for it other than they cut her uterus vertically instead of horizontally which does a lot more damage to the uterus.

Yeah, I think they used to do that a lot, just assuming that every other pregnancy would be complicated as well, or it could very well have something to do with the incision maybe making the uterine wall prone to rupture during contractions or something like that, can't be sure.

Not sure how old your mom is, but we do know now that every pregnancy is different, and that some women can still have a vaginal birth after a cesarean. I think if it were me, I would give it a shot, in the hospital of course. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom