• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hillary's Veep

My guess would be Cory Booker.

While I think he would be a great pick for anybody, I just like him as a "politician" and that bar isnt high though it should be it will not be him IMO.
He says no but I believe he wants the white house one day and being associated with hilary may hinder that with the amount of partisanship out there right now it would probably be a bad move.

The right should have had this election locked up IMO simply based on natural swing but they blew it bad. SO if hil gets 8 years the right gets the white house back almost for sure IF they can simply pick a moderate conservative and not extremists. And booker running as hillary's VP (same old same old it will be sold as) he could have a lot of trouble getting into the white house.
Now this is NOTHING but speculation and opinion on my part but its what I think.

If Hispanics are organized and get to the polls, they will vote for her. Having a top candidate speak to them directly at rallies and on Hispanic TV is a big plus. The white states that Sanders won are not solidly in the Trump camp with a Kaine VP, especially since Trump picked a strong TPP supporter in Mike Pence.

Hours Before Hillary Clinton’s VP Decision, Likely Pick Tim Kaine Praises the TPP

HILLARY CLINTON’S RUMORED vice presidential pick Sen. Tim Kaine defended his vote for fast-tracking the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) on Thursday.​

Before it's over, Hillary will be backing the TPP. You mark my words. And Trump will then become the anti-TPP populist candidate while Hillary will be the pro-corporatists candidate on this topic. She'll have NO high ground to stand on even if she were right on other economic topics.

True but now both VPs are in the pro TPP group. I still think a lot of people on both sides will go third party. Even Nate Silver said Johnson could score electoral votes.
Maybe Johnson will benefit, but that doesn't mean that Kaine was a bad pick. The other choices had their problems--Vilbeck (TPP supporter, little foreign policy experience), Sherrod Brown (losing Ohio senate seat to Republicans), and Warren (little influence outside of progressive Democrats, little foreign policy experience, possible loss of Massachusetts senate seat to Republicans, not close to Hillary). Hillary has the added advantage of a deep bench of advocates starting with President Obama himself and folks like Warren. The Democratic platform does reflect many of the Sanders issues as well.

All that said, any of the possible picks have risks. This election will be very close no matter the VP choice and Democrats better get ready for that reality.

Maybe Johnson will benefit, but that doesn't mean that Kaine was a bad pick. The other choices had their problems--Vilbeck (TPP supporter, little foreign policy experience), Sherrod Brown (losing Ohio senate seat to Republicans), and Warren (little influence outside of progressive Democrats, little foreign policy experience, possible loss of Massachusetts senate seat to Republicans, not close to Hillary). Hillary has the added advantage of a deep bench of advocates starting with President Obama himself and folks like Warren. The Democratic platform does reflect many of the Sanders issues as well.

All that said, any of the possible picks have risks. This election will be very close no matter the VP choice and Democrats better get ready for that reality.

You think Massachussetts has a worse chance of losing a senate seat to the GOP than a Virginia senate seat? Especially in a general election year?

Hours Before Hillary Clinton’s VP Decision, Likely Pick Tim Kaine Praises the TPP

HILLARY CLINTON’S RUMORED vice presidential pick Sen. Tim Kaine defended his vote for fast-tracking the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) on Thursday.​

Before it's over, Hillary will be backing the TPP. You mark my words. And Trump will then become the anti-TPP populist candidate while Hillary will be the pro-corporatists candidate on this topic. She'll have NO high ground to stand on even if she were right on other economic topics.

It bugs me that apparently Clinton and the DNC are so sure they will landslide that they laugh this off. Even Michael Moore said Trump could win as he is winning the blue collar vote. It really makes those that called democrats "latte sipping liberals" right. Whatever happened to the working men of Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio? Oh I know we call them "low information voters." Old school liberals must be flipping in their graves.

You think Massachussetts has a worse chance of losing a senate seat to the GOP than a Virginia senate seat? Especially in a general election year?

Yes because Warrens seat wouldn't be chosen in November, it would be a special election and the GOP is doing well in MA these days with their "most popular governor in America."

Kaine's support is lukewarm. From your article:

Kaine, who spoke to The Intercept after an event at a Northern Virginia mosque, praised the agreement as an improvement of the status quo, but maintained that he had not yet decided how to vote on final approval of the agreement.

TPP will not be the defining issue in November, so Hillary will have no reason to change her position. Trump's pick of Pence, a staunch TPP supporter, will blunt his ability to use that issue, especially in the debates. Also, TPP and similar agreements are not universally unpopular in all 50 states. They get hammered in the rust belt, but not all Americans by far want to see an end to global trade agreements or support the imposition of Trumpian tariffs.

Kaine, who spoke to The Intercept after an event at a Northern Virginia mosque, praised the agreement as an improvement of the status quo, but maintained that he had not yet decided how to vote on final approval of the agreement.

TPP will not be the defining issue in November, so Hillary will have no reason to change her position. Trump's pick of Pence, a staunch TPP supporter, will blunt his ability to use that issue, especially in the debates. Also, TPP and similar agreements are not universally unpopular in all 50 states. They get hammered in the rust belt, but not all Americans by far want to see an end to global trade agreements or support the imposition of Trumpian tariffs.

Maybe but the rust belt states matter. Realistically this election comes down to about 10 states up for grabs, the rest are known. So that blue collar vote is going to be critical this fall. TPP and even NAFTA is going to be important.

Good point, but Massachusetts has a Republican governor who will appoint Warren's replacement. Virginia's governor is a Democrat. The last time the MA Democrats tried to defend a Senate special election appointee, we got a Republican dufus named Scott Brown. Nothing is guaranteed and I'm sure the Clinton campaign weighed that possibility into their VP vetting process.

Good point, but Massachusetts has a Republican governor who will appoint Warren's replacement. Virginia's governor is a Democrat. The last time the MA Democrats tried to defend a Senate special election appointee, we got a Republican dufus named Scott Brown. Nothing is guaranteed and I'm sure the Clinton campaign weighed that possibility into their VP vetting process.

They said that was a criteria and also why Sherrod Brown wasn't chosen as Kasich would pick the successor. Come to think of it Christie would appoint a Booker replacement, so that left her few choices.

Maybe but the rust belt states matter. Realistically this election comes down to about 10 states up for grabs, the rest are known. So that blue collar vote is going to be critical this fall. TPP and even NAFTA is going to be important.
Very true. But Clinton also has to worry about Virginia, a state that has only recently trended blue. If she wins Virginia, she can still lose one or more of the blue collar states and still win in some scenarios. She's betting that she can hold most if not all of the traditionally Democratic rust belt, just as she did against Sanders. Kaine helps in Virginia, but his blue collar background and plain speaking Midwestern campaign style could be an asset in the Midwest too. All of this is a risk, of course. We'll see if it works in November.

It bugs me that apparently Clinton and the DNC are so sure they will landslide that they laugh this off. Even Michael Moore said Trump could win as he is winning the blue collar vote. It really makes those that called democrats "latte sipping liberals" right. Whatever happened to the working men of Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio? Oh I know we call them "low information voters." Old school liberals must be flipping in their graves.

Exactly. Everyone and the brother knows Hillary's weakness is voter excitement. Something Bernie supporters have in droves. Why the **** would you betray your own strength that you JUST bagged? Stupidest ****ing campaign strategizing ever.

Exactly. Everyone and the brother knows Hillary's weakness is voter excitement. Something Bernie supporters have in droves. Why the **** would you betray your own strength that you JUST bagged? Stupidest ****ing campaign strategizing ever.

As I previously said, if by some chance she loses, the Sanders supporters are going to be pissed. He polled double digits over Trump in every swing state.

She will change her support for TPP and even if she didn't, she's so middle groundish on it that Trump is going to club her over and over again as him being FULLY in support of killing TPP. Do I believe him? No. But the vast bulk of America does. Do people believe Hillary is against the TPP? The vast majority of America does not believe her oh so recent conversion. And why should they? She consistently displays a betrayal... excuse me... constant evolving on issues.

I think it comes tomorrow but we can lay predictions down now.

My prediction is she will use her pick to shore up the Wall Street support aka Tim Kaine which might help her with Virginia. Other possibilities include Tom Vilsack who might help her with Iowa or Sherrod Brown to help her with Ohio.

She chose Maine (f'ing iPad won't spell K-a-i-n e's name) :roll:

He's fluent in Spanish and from one of the confederate states. Hillary is assuming the blacks won't notice, but Mexicans will be impressed that he is bilingual.

As I previously said, if by some chance she loses, the Sanders supporters are going to be pissed. He polled double digits over Trump in every swing state.

She had his whole infrastructure of excitement and insane small donor-based contributions. All kicked square in the nuts.

She chose Maine (f'ing iPad won't spell K-a-i-n e's name) :roll:

He's fluent in Spanish and from one of the confederate states. Hillary is assuming the blacks won't notice, but Mexicans will be impressed that he is bilingual.

The black vote was in the bag. The latino vote would've been in the bag any time Trump opened his mouth so she didn't need help there. Both of those demo's have excitement in their voters. White voters for Hillary... not so much. And she just made her vulnerability more vulnerable whereas embracing Bernie supporters would've shored that weakness up.

I want to punch her campaign adviser more than I wanted to punch Donna Brazille for her idiotic strategy for Gore back in the day... and I wanted to sock her pretty damn badly.

The black vote was in the bag. The latino vote would've been in the bag any time Trump opened his mouth so she didn't need help there. Both of those demo's have excitement in their voters. White voters for Hillary... not so much. And she just made her vulnerability more vulnerable whereas embracing Bernie supporters would've shored that weakness up.

I want to punch her campaign adviser more than I wanted to punch Donna Brazille for her idiotic strategy for Gore back in the day... and I wanted to sock her pretty damn badly.

She wants Virginia. She has a good chance at winning it now.

She wants Virginia. She has a good chance at winning it now.

And losing Ohio and Pennsylvania and boatloads of the blue collar vote across the country because trump is now the anti TPP candidate and the Clinton/Kaine ticket? Who the **** knows.

And losing Ohio and Pennsylvania and boatloads of the blue collar vote across the country because trump is now the anti TPP candidate and the Clinton/Kaine ticket? Who the **** knows.

Ohio, PA and MI are all within 5 or 6 points right now. So...they have some selling to do.

I put this in the dupe thread but let me drop it here:

Another Ivy League lawyer.....because of course.

I put this in the dupe thread but let me drop it here:

Another Ivy League lawyer.....because of course.

Represent, Represent Bitches!

representwallst.jpg

My guess would be Cory Booker.

He would have been my choice for her. A rising star in the democratic party, and progressive enough to woo some Sanders supporters.

But I'd been forced to place a bet it would have been on Tim Kaine, a pro-choice Catholic to offset Pence, a pro-life Catholic, yet Kaine also gets 5 star marks from Planned Parenthood, and is quite progressive, I hear, when it comes to economic restructuring of banks and wall street, which should also appeal to some Sanders supporters. A few extra votes would also help garnering the prize of winning Virginia! She's already got New Jersey in the bag, so Booker's vote-getting there wouldn't have been a turning point.

Still, I really liked Booker. He would have added a lot of energy to her campaign.

Back
Top Bottom