• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hillary's Veep

Most of the time you do, but Hillary has got an enthusiasm problem, especially from the left. I think her campaign might see Booker as a way to combat this.

It probably won't work, since VP picks basically never help. But Booker doesn't seem like the gaffe prone type who could hurt either, so I imagine they'll think it's worth a try with his relatively safe Senate seat.

This whole prez election, not unlike many in the past won't be about exciting one's own base for themselves but exciting your own base with hate of the other candidate. Sad state of affairs.

Most of the time you do, but Hillary has got an enthusiasm problem, especially from the left. I think her campaign might see Booker as a way to combat this.

It probably won't work, since VP picks basically never help. But Booker doesn't seem like the gaffe prone type who could hurt either, so I imagine they'll think it's worth a try with his relatively safe Senate seat.

Agreed.
If he does get picked, needs to be supportive rather than exciting in his own right.
Otherwise he'll just be in the running for the next Pres election.

They might both be angry at the democratic deficit in US politics, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing in common between their proposed solutions to that issue. That's the bit I don't get. At all. I guess those Bernie supporters planning to vote Trump are Henrin-style 'burn the whole house down' types who don't care about solutions because they don't want one.

In elections, facts don't matter, just emotions.

They might both be angry at the democratic deficit in US politics, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing in common between their proposed solutions to that issue. That's the bit I don't get. At all. I guess those Bernie supporters planning to vote Trump are Henrin-style 'burn the whole house down' types who don't care about solutions because they don't want one.

That's exactly it. There is a bit of anarchy in both sides. They feel burning it all down and start over to achieve what they want is quicker than waiting for decades to get things passed. Hard to believe but its already been 8 years and to the progressives, there still is no single payer and we are still in overseas wars. They don't see Hillary as achieving either. So maybe if the anarchists elect someone who they view as terrible it will wake people up.

I think it comes tomorrow but we can lay predictions down now.

My prediction is she will use her pick to shore up the Wall Street support aka Tim Kaine which might help her with Virginia. Other possibilities include Tom Vilsack who might help her with Iowa or Sherrod Brown to help her with Ohio.

It is official: Tim Kaine so that means she's got Virginia locked.

She doesn't need progressives, she can win without them. She is looking to sway all those center and center right anti Trump voters. Appears to be a mistake to ever think she cared about the progressive vote.

That is my take at the moment as well. Choosing Warren would at least be an olive branch to Bernie supporters and progressives. It would also be an attempt to show she doesn't take her marching orders from Wallstreet. But if I had to choose I would guess she will pick Kaine, the guy who wants to further deregulate the financial industry. Maybe I am wrong, though.

I think it'll be Kaine or Vilsack. Whichever has the most Wall St/War Machine connections.

Did Hannity Jump the gun on me??

Oh well. CNN just had it now. Hillary Clinton selects Tim Kaine as her running mate - CNNPolitics.com

Welp... the only thing that had me even considering her was Bernie's endorsement. That move just wiped it out. She just took all those concessions she promised bernie and his supporters and spat in their faces. Just like I thought she might. That's Clinton triangulation. Kick the left in the balls repeatedly to try and gain more votes from the right.

Next ball kicking will be backing out on being against the TPP.

I think this sets up the DNC's style of convention which will probably now be just like a mirror image of the RNC. They will talk incessantly about Trump and how much we all should hate him rather than providing a vision and leadership because this move here shows she's going to tow the same ****ing corporatist bankster line that the clintons have always been towing.

Here's a big **** YOU to ya Hillary!

You're gonna stand up to Wall Street? My ass you are.

Last edited:
What is it with this goddamn election? Its like there is some kind of RNC vs DNC bet on who can make the biggest moves to lose the election.

Tim Kaine Wouldn’t Do Much To Help Clinton Win The Election

If Hillary Clinton chooses Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia as her running mate, as betting markets and journalists suspect, then in some ways, it’s a dull story. Kaine has traditional credentials, having served as Virginia’s governor before joining the U.S. Senate. He’s young enough, at 58, that he could run for president himself in 2020 or 2024. He’s not especially liberal, but he’s no Blue Dog Democrat, either. He’s a white guy, although he speaks good Spanish. If Mike Pence is a “generic Republican,” then Kaine is a “generic Democrat.”​

What is it with this goddamn election? Its like there is some kind of RNC vs DNC bet on who can make the biggest moves to lose the election.

Tim Kaine Wouldn’t Do Much To Help Clinton Win The Election

If Hillary Clinton chooses Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia as her running mate, as betting markets and journalists suspect, then in some ways, it’s a dull story. Kaine has traditional credentials, having served as Virginia’s governor before joining the U.S. Senate. He’s young enough, at 58, that he could run for president himself in 2020 or 2024. He’s not especially liberal, but he’s no Blue Dog Democrat, either. He’s a white guy, although he speaks good Spanish. If Mike Pence is a “generic Republican,” then Kaine is a “generic Democrat.”​
Sometimes picking the "exciting, non generic" VP pick backfires. Ask John McCain.

BTW, as the article said, Kaine is fluent in Spanish--a big plus.

Just hearing that Jill Stein for the second week in a row has broken records for a third party candidates donations. Bet this choice will help her.

Sometimes picking the "exciting, non generic" VP pick backfires. Ask John McCain.

Won't fix him being a wall street shill.

Big plus for who? The Hispanics are already going to vote for her, certainly not Trump. She needs those white states Sanders won.

Big plus for who? The Hispanics are already going to vote for her, certainly not Trump. She needs those white states Sanders won.
If Hispanics are organized and get to the polls, they will vote for her. Having a top candidate speak to them directly at rallies and on Hispanic TV is a big plus. The white states that Sanders won are not solidly in the Trump camp with a Kaine VP, especially since Trump picked a strong TPP supporter in Mike Pence.

If Hispanics are organized and get to the polls, they will vote for her. Having a top candidate speak to them directly at rallies and on Hispanic TV is a big plus. The white states that Sanders won are not solidly in the Trump camp with a Kaine VP, especially since Trump picked a strong TPP supporter in Mike Pence.

True but now both VPs are in the pro TPP group. I still think a lot of people on both sides will go third party. Even Nate Silver said Johnson could score electoral votes.

Back
Top Bottom