• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hawaiian Sovereignty Movement

Hawaii is a State, for some reason, I don't understand. but it is nothing like the America I know. --How could it be?? It's in the middle of the ocean, in nearly a state of isolation. Where as we all live near each other, and share common interests.

It's a state because we needed the islands as a secure base from which to operate our Pacific Fleet and allows us to become a global power.

Oh you are so believeable. :roll:

Oh, what, to love something you must feel it's the best over everything else or something? To appreciate something or have faith in something you have to believe that everything else is inferior?

Your view is a little wonky.

I sure as hell don't loath this country that we've shed blood, sweat and tears for.

Oh, what, to love something you must feel it's the best over everything else or something? To appreciate something or have faith in something you have to believe that everything else is inferior?

Your view is a little wonky.

I sure as hell don't loath this country that we've shed blood, sweat and tears for.
Let's see you say something good about the US. Think you can without feeling pressured?

Let's see you say something good about the US. Think you can without feeling pressured?

:rofl Why would I feel pressured? There are so many good things about our country - and some bad things. That's life. The bad things do not outnumber the good, that's for certain.

It's no big deal to admit and accept that ___ and ___ are wrong or off - but we can fix them or at least improve them. Either quickly or slowly. Example: our infrastructure - we were quick to build it but we're quite slow to maintain it or renew it.

The good thing is that we CAN renew and maintain it as needed - if we see fit.

We're off track, now, but we're not as bad off (in the political spectrum) as we use to be - in comparison to our country's strengths and weaknesses 200 years ago. (Example: the political parties use to own and operate the media).

To be honest, the whole "we're the greatest" debate is a bit silly, don't you think? I remember arguing with a school girl in the 3rd grade about whose church was better - hers or mine.
To me this present debate mirrors that very arguement from childhood.

Why do I have to stand up for my views? What about you and yours?
Since you think our country is the greatest in the world - then why do we have so many problems in politics, in our social and cultural makeup?
Why aren't we problem free?
If we're the best - then why have we allowed corporations to send our jobs overseas for decades, dwindling our homefront foothold and rendering us prey to foreign powers?

If we're just *that* good - then why do we have to look to China and other countries for financial bailouts when our country, yet again, faces dire times?

Our problems are inexcusable and it's quite surprising that someone would see that - and still feel we're totally awesome.

I think we're good - but we're not the best.
Whose the best? Don't know- maybe no one is the best. Maybe the idea of "my country is better than your country" is archaic and snivly?

Perhaps your "good, better, best" way of thinking is root of the problem. That way of thinking, in fact, is what brought around the housing crisis, is it not? (Remember - the fail of Franny and Freddie - and how they started?)

Watch out for the boastful pride - sometimes it turns against you.

Not everyone in this country is arrogant enough to assume we're the best at everything. We're not.

We're good at many things. We might even be the best at some things. We're also pretty bad at some things. Just depends on your individual priorities.

When was the last time you heard of a boat load of Americans showing up on the shores of another country looking for a better life? :confused:

Originally Posted by American

:rofl Why would I feel pressured? There are so many good things about our country - and some bad things. That's life. The bad things do not outnumber the good, that's for certain.

It's no big deal to admit and accept that ___ and ___ are wrong or off - but we can fix them or at least improve them. Either quickly or slowly. Example: our infrastructure - we were quick to build it but we're quite slow to maintain it or renew it.

The good thing is that we CAN renew and maintain it as needed - if we see fit.

We're off track, now, but we're not as bad off (in the political spectrum) as we use to be - in comparison to our country's strengths and weaknesses 200 years ago. (Example: the political parties use to own and operate the media).

To be honest, the whole "we're the greatest" debate is a bit silly, don't you think? I remember arguing with a school girl in the 3rd grade about whose church was better - hers or mine.
To me this present debate mirrors that very arguement from childhood.

Why do I have to stand up for my views? What about you and yours?
Since you think our country is the greatest in the world - then why do we have so many problems in politics, in our social and cultural makeup?
Why aren't we problem free?
If we're the best - then why have we allowed corporations to send our jobs overseas for decades, dwindling our homefront foothold and rendering us prey to foreign powers?

If we're just *that* good - then why do we have to look to China and other countries for financial bailouts when our country, yet again, faces dire times?

Our problems are inexcusable and it's quite surprising that someone would see that - and still feel we're totally awesome.

I think we're good - but we're not the best.
Whose the best? Don't know- maybe no one is the best. Maybe the idea of "my country is better than your country" is archaic and snivly?

Perhaps your "good, better, best" way of thinking is root of the problem. That way of thinking, in fact, is what brought around the housing crisis, is it not? (Remember - the fail of Franny and Freddie - and how they started?)

Watch out for the boastful pride - sometimes it turns against you.

So the short answer was no?

So the short answer was no?

Perhaps everyone should grow up a little? What a childish question: say something positive about your country.

The fact that I can sit here and debate politics and eventually take my opinions to the polling booth is a positive in action, words not needed. I don't need to fear Sharia Law or risk having my fingers severed by speaking out against the President.

Why don't you answer my questions - why do people feel the need to classify or grade one's country as 'awesome' or 'better'?

How can you, without experiencing an alternative government or lifestyle, deem that we're the 'best' or 'better' than everyone else?

I don't feel that a classification is necessary - in fact, I feel that grading one's country in that way is just impossible.
We might have an upper hand in some ways - but not others. Just how many upper-hands are needed to be defined as 'better than everyone else'?

Everyone's attitudes towards me about this really trumps the threads about Europeans being condescending to Americans. Obviously a lot of Americans are full of their selves and lack respect for others just the same and trap in an aged mindset that we will always be amazing.

I challenge you to take your 'we're awesome, dude' attitude to a foreigner's face while they're visiting and tell them that our country is better than theirs.

We've been bumped off the top of the list, unfortunately - as is purely evident by the lack of support from other countries and our endeavors lately as well as our growing inability to stand on our own two feet amid a crisis.

Open your eyes and wake up - if you keep feeding yourself this brainwashed "we're better than you" fodder this country will never get on it's own two feet - everyone is thinking we're already squared away and we're not.

Oh - but never mind me. I'm just reiterating the very campaign jibber that all politicians rattle off on their election tours.

Admitting we have problems that need to be fixed does not mean you don't support or respect your country - I'm surprised that people here on this forum seem to be incapable of realizing that.

It's a state because we needed the islands as a secure base from which to operate our Pacific Fleet and allows us to become a global power.
We had that way before we made it into a state. I remember when they changed out our flag. From 48, then to 49, then to 50. I would like to see 52. I like to expand and take over neglected areas. I have "adopted" some land near me. It is My park for the Neighborhood, till somebody takes it back.

Hawaiian sovereignty movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HAWAII - INDEPENDENT & SOVEREIGN

Hawaiian Sovereignty: Which Path Should Be Taken? - Hohonu

The 1897 Petition Against the Annexation of Hawaii

I find this fascinating, especially with a Hawaiian as POTUS, and anti-US sentiment within our country. I'm interested to know how the fact the Hawaii is a state affects this movement to separate land for a unique nation, and its Constitutional implications.

Nothing'll change. Some might be stirring up to gain resources/money/land from generated grief, but most people won't want to just separate.

Better watch out with that sovereignty movement. Heard there are big tsunamis heading towards Hawaii. TIME TO BRING IN THE TROOPS Obama?

Hawaiian sovereignty movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HAWAII - INDEPENDENT & SOVEREIGN

Hawaiian Sovereignty: Which Path Should Be Taken? - Hohonu

The 1897 Petition Against the Annexation of Hawaii

I find this fascinating, especially with a Hawaiian as POTUS, and anti-US sentiment within our country. I'm interested to know how the fact the Hawaii is a state affects this movement to separate land for a unique nation, and its Constitutional implications.

When I lived in Hawaii I saw these yahoos on the news quite often. They do nothing but promote pro-Hawaiian racism. They even staged a mock takeover of the government of Hawaii. There were chased off by HPD (Hawaii Police Department).

They are bunch of loons.

Better watch out with that sovereignty movement. Heard there are big tsunamis heading towards Hawaii. TIME TO BRING IN THE TROOPS Obama?

Why "bring in the troops"? There is at least one base for each branch of the US military and the USCG on Oahu alone. Thousands of military personnel are already there.

Some Hawaiians take this very seriously, others could care less. A friend of mine was an accountant at Iolani Palace when it was taken over. They chained the gates and wouldn't let the employees into work, but it was peaceful. Most Hawaiians I met while I was there were really nice, but many live in poverty. It's kinda sad. I don't think it would get better for them to set up a reservation, and complete sovereignty would be pretty much impossible. I really don't think the US would agree to give up its bases or military presence.

Why "bring in the troops"? There is at least one base for each branch of the US military and the USCG on Oahu alone. Thousands of military personnel are already there.

Some Hawaiians take this very seriously, others could care less. A friend of mine was an accountant at Iolani Palace when it was taken over. They chained the gates and wouldn't let the employees into work, but it was peaceful. Most Hawaiians I met while I was there were really nice, but many live in poverty. It's kinda sad. I don't think it would get better for them to set up a reservation, and complete sovereignty would be pretty much impossible. I really don't think the US would agree to give up its bases or military presence.

I was in Hawaii when that happened. Those responsible should have been arrested. However, the balls-less namby-pamby who ran the government at the time decided against it.

Back
Top Bottom