• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you met any real-life Trump supporters?

I live in Ohio. So, most Republicans I know support Kasich. If he doesn't win, they are all pretty much resigned to support any of the other GOPers who happen to be the nominee.

If Kasich were to endorse, in Ohio, how strong do you think the impact of that endorsement could be? Would he be able to transfer his full (or near full) support to another candidate?

The death of Scalia changes things in Trumps favor. Right now, he doesn't have the support of the conservative/educated demo (generally). When it comes to the general election, this demo will be forced to support Trump. He may or may not nominate a conservative justice but the democratic nominee will not.

Sure. Until we take a look at the people Trump is likely to nominate.

No thanks. I'd rather take liberals from a liberal president, and be able to count on the GOP opposing them. If Trump is the nominee, I'll vote third party for POTUS.

I'm interested in non-Trump supporters' perspective. I find this tweet in particular interesting, and easy to believe, but I want more evidence.

There was one on this board who was initially a Trump Fan, and then seemed to hedge when presented with the evidence of Trump's past positions. So there is a portion of that populace who is with him because of name-recognition and the general impression that "he's not PC", but who remain open to new information.

Generally, however, I think the rule is that they have bought in to a Cult of Personality. You can't defeat that with logic or by demonstrating ideological inconsistency, because it wasn't based on those things to begin with. You have to point to the failings of the man, and then someone has to beat him down in public.

Last edited:
If Kasich were to endorse, in Ohio, how strong do you think the impact of that endorsement could be? Would he be able to transfer his full (or near full) support to another candidate?

Wow...good question. It would not sway me to vote for whom he endorses. However, I'm sure it would be effective nonetheless.

Depends on what you mean by "supporters".
I have heard some family members say that if it came down between Trump and Clinton or Sanders that Trump would get their vote but they weren't like "Woohoo! Can't wait to vote for Trump!"
I haven't seen many real world people, aside from a coworker or two, who are super excited about any of the candidates.

I don't know a single person from real life who would vote for Trump. (Obviously, his supporters are unavoidable online.) Maybe this is because of my age, or because I live in a diverse and well-educated area. Granted, most of the people I know are liberal... but I have conservative family members, and had 2 conservative roommates in college, and I can't fathom any of them voting for Trump - in the primaries or the general.

Do you know anyone voting for Trump?

Are they as nasty as the stereotypes? Or just decent people who want to Make America Great Again?

Are they conservatives, or non-ideological? Are they life-long Republicans, or were they non-political until now?

Are they as angry, upset, and bitter as the media says? Or just drawn to Trump's charisma?

I want to know how anyone could even consider voting for this guy - not to mention 33% of the Republican Party.

All of the Trump supporters that I have personally met have been thoroughly uninterested in the political process, yet still harboring some disenfranchisement with politics in general. None of them have been particularly informed about issues, or about Trump's policies themselves.

I don't know a single person from real life who would vote for Trump. (Obviously, his supporters are unavoidable online.) Maybe this is because of my age, or because I live in a diverse and well-educated area. Granted, most of the people I know are liberal... but I have conservative family members, and had 2 conservative roommates in college, and I can't fathom any of them voting for Trump - in the primaries or the general.

Are they as nasty as the stereotypes? Or just decent people who want to Make America Great Again?

Are they conservatives, or non-ideological? Are they life-long Republicans, or were they non-political until now?

Are they as angry, upset, and bitter as the media says? Or just drawn to Trump's charisma?

I want to know how anyone could even consider voting for this guy - not to mention 33% of the Republican Party.

I know a couple personally. And for the most part they're very good and decent people, and all pretty conservative to begin with, though not Michele Bachmann/Ted Cruz bat-scheit crazy conservative. They're just hoodwinked by his chutzpah, IMO. He's appealing to their frustration, and I get that, but they're not looking beyond it.

If there are any Trump supporters in my everyday life then they aren't open about it. I do have a couple Facebook friends why will vote for Trump. I know them in person but I haven't seen them in a few years.

I think there are a lot of Trump supporters out there who keep it to themselves IRL.
I heard a lady on a radio talk show the other day say she supported Trump because he was "going to make America great again", and she had nothing else beyond that when asked.

I guess my promise of a puppy on every couch and a kitten in every pot didn't go over as well.

I heard a lady on a radio talk show the other day say she supported Trump because he was "going to make America great again", and she had nothing else beyond that when asked.

I guess my promise of a puppy on every couch and a kitten in every pot didn't go over as well.

Well now, a chicken in every pot worked, people have not changed that much. Then there was this:

ObamaPhone2.jpg

I have, biggest appeal seems to be he's an outsider and has an R after his name.

I know a few people who are also Trump supports and their reasoning was the same and I have to agree to a point, at least Trump is not a politician. I think many of the American people are just plain sick and tired of our clowns in Washington and want something "Not Washington" even if that someone is Trump.

I have only met one person who openly supports Trump. He was a good ol' boy I met at deer camp. I had a few beers with him. Nice enough of a guy.

Most folks, almost all, in my neck of the woods have a VERY bad opinion of the Donald. And they ain't afraid to tell you about it.

A LOT of Bernie supporters in my area.

I know of exactly two Trump supporters in real life. One is a friend on Facebook who I used to serve with in the military, the other is the father of a friend of mine.

They seem to basically be the same sort of person. Middle aged Conservative males, who fall rather firmly on the "low information"/non-intellectual side of the spectrum. I can't say whether they are "racist," or "angry," or not. However, I'd certainly say that they have failed to properly think things through.

Last edited:
I found those susceptible to his message, although they may proclaim to be ultimately turned off by portions of his message. They really do believe he is saying stuff that no one else does and that is good, even when it is issues that most candidates in the Republican Party have been saying for years. Saying stuff is a highly valued commodity to them, though it tends to be more valued when it's angrier and of more consequence to legality or constitutionality. His get along messages aren't particularly remembered. And yeah, they have tended to break into the previously known demographics. Some are young, some are middle aged, but often they come from the white working class, have less educational attainment, are half interested (or less) in politics, are inconsistent at best with supporting minorities doing mundane tasks and ordinary social activities throughout the day, believe "something" should be done "about the muslims."

A resume and a record is not necessarily valued among the portions of the electorate for high office at the national level. For well over a generation they have been getting their information from venues that are proud to be outsiders, disdaining experience, any adherence to parliamentary procedure, and ironically, negotiated deals. Sounding like the tough guy sells, and Trump sells that in spades. Experience is either something that doesn't enter their mind at all or is a potential landmine for positive thoughts toward that person. I suspect that they are applying the same criteria for a Presidential candidate that they do for selecting a tv show or radio show to tune in to. It's presentation and attitude, not governance or leadership.

There's plenty of others that are really turned off by him, however.

Last edited:
My 91 year old Grandmother. Her words "I can vote for a bunch of people that helped get us into our current mess or someone that might do something different".

My 91 year old Grandmother. Her words "I can vote for a bunch of people that helped get us into our current mess or someone that might do something different".
I agree with your grandmother's sentiment completely. I have long said it make absolutely no sense to complain and disapprove of our current crop of politicians then go and re-elect them at the overwhelming rate that we do. We need to get new people in there. Having said that, I just don't think Trump is it.

Who is that someone, did she mention a name or was she just speaking in generalities?

Who is that someone, did she mention a name or was she just speaking in generalities?

Please refer to the thread title.

She was speaking in regards to Trump.

Please refer to the thread title.

She was speaking in regards to Trump.
Strange since he does not actually have any real plans on how to accomplish anything, I guess Platitudes and Rhetoric are viewed differently in some families.:roll:

Strange since he does not actually have any real plans on how to accomplish anything, I guess Platitudes and Rhetoric are viewed differently in some families.:roll:

That will put him a step up on DC politicians because all their plans just make things worse.

That will put him a step up on DC politicians because all their plans just make things worse.

Who puts and keeps them there, and you think Trump is a step Up, now that speaks volumes.

hmm? at work i've met many. why would you think a man garnering near 50% support nation-wide would have no 'real life' supporters? head out of the sand OP, he's going to be the republican nominee whether you like it or not.

I think a lot of people are not very open about their support for Trump for various reasons. But I know they are there. I have friends who make statements like, "Well I don't necessarily agree with Trump, but I'm not liking the other candidates either" who are obvious Republicans and obviously Trump supporters. But among younger millennials, openly declaring your support for Trump is the same as ostracizing yourself in many cases depending on where you live and who your friends are.

Back
Top Bottom