• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has Putin lost his mind?

Intelligence seems to prove that something is seriously off with him.
Now he's threatening to use nukes. Not exactly a stable mind at work there...

IMO, the people who surround him need to plan a military coup and take him out.

Earlier I found a tweet on a story. Apparently, he notified the Chechnya leaders that he was going to invade about a week before he did. They are quoted as having been in shock, almost disbelieving Putin was serious.

Your right tho. Imagine a guy sitting at huge empty conference table, alone. No generals, no advisors, not even his head of foreign policy seated next to him. It's also been reported that he is cloistered up, not making public appearances.

WTF, who the hell threatens to launch nuke because the world has little interest in doing business with a maniac?

BTW, I've always said when he attended a G7/8 conference, somebody needs to take him out. They won't get that chance again.

Earlier I found a tweet on a story. Apparently, he notified the Chechnya leaders that he was going to invade about a week before he did. They are quoted as having been in shock, almost disbelieving Putin was serious.

Your right tho. Imagine a guy sitting at huge empty conference table, alone. No generals, no advisors, not even his head of foreign policy seated next to him. It's also been reported that he is cloistered up, not making public appearances.

WTF, who the hell threatens to launch nuke because the world has little interest in doing business with a maniac?

BTW, I've always said when he attended a G7/8 conference, somebody needs to take him out. They won't get that chance again.

(y)
It's hard to believe that this is happening.
Maybe some of the major players missed it purposely because they need their oil.

Ukraine has been saying for years that Russia will invade, that it was inevitable. I don't think it has to do with his mental condition.
I do suspect he may have underestimated the unified (well excluding Trump, Tucker, Bannon, and a chunk of our lovely Republican party) condemnation of Russia and support for Ukraine.
I think he used Crimea as the experiment, but they aren't the same, and he's getting far different results.

Those were civil protests, not governments condemning and sanctioning the United States and its partners in protest.
You think I don't know the difference?

Whatever their governments might have felt about the issue, the point is that most of the educated world knew we had no business invading Iraq, and that it would be a bloody catastrophe for all concerned if we did. As we now know, clearly all those protesters were correct.

You think I don't know the difference?

Whatever their governments might have felt about the issue, the point is that most of the educated world knew we had no business invading Iraq, and that it would be a bloody catastrophe for all concerned if we did. As we now know, clearly all those protesters were correct.

This is 2022. Why hijack this thread about Ukraine/Putin?

Kill two birds. Get rid of the Mexicans [talking about his viewpoint], gain white people.
LOL - except that most of the population of Greenland aren't white people - they're Inuit. But I guess as long as they didn't make Trump eat whale blubber, it wasn't a problem.

He sees his chance given 60%+ of Republicans have bought into the various disinformation campaigns he and his pal Trump have been waging the past five years and would rather talk about how horrible Biden and liberals are than the psychotic mass murderer currently threatening nuclear war.
🤥

(y)
It's hard to believe that this is happening.
Maybe some of the major players missed it purposely because they need their oil.

I don't know. The has been a clarifying moment for most intelligent people, I can't believe anyone would be making excuses for Putin or wringing their hand towels and mumbling "Its our fault we should have capitulated".

But in the end this was Ukraine's choice, not ours. Briefly they considered a deal just before the war to offer everlasting neutrality but backed away. To me it was obvious. If Putin wanted to negotiate, he would have taken up the President's offer and meant with him to negotiate...anywhere, anytime. Instead, Putin was totally focused on making the west bend the knee.

If he had, a sane person (or even an insane one like Hitler) he would be direct and blunt. "If you do X, Y. Z in the next number of days, I won't invade. Fail to deliver on any one element, I will invade". Hitler effectively did that, except with Poland his demands were so outrageous he was HOPING they did not accept them. Days before he attacked, he instructed Ribbentrop to reject any Polish offer, even one of full capitulation to his terms.

I remember the fall of the Berlin wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union. I was so happy, thinking it was over.

Yes, it is hard to believe.

This is 2022. Why hijack this thread about Ukraine/Putin?
I'm not hijacking anything. I was just answering a direct question by BirdinHand's post#13 on this thread!

"The man has started a war that is opposed by practically every country on the face of the planet.
Who in their right mind does that?"

Don't jump in my shit. I didn't pose the question. I just responded to it.

Because he's the Vice-Chair of the Senate's Select Committee on Intelligence?

And he was making an official statement in that capacity?

Smarten up. This putin is nuts campaign is nuts, not Putin.

And he was making an official statement in that capacity?

Smarten up. This putin is nuts campaign is nuts, not Putin.

I agree. I do not think Putin is insane. I think he vastly overestimated his forces capabilities and severely underestimated the resolve of the Ukrainians. I'm sure he thought the Ukrainian military would have folded in less than 24 hours, his forces would have fully taken all the major cities, that they would have installed their puppet government and everyone would have been home before Easter.

Well now, is he mad?

Entirely possible and as much chance of being unlikely.

The same story about collecting peoples stools was said of Stalin. Coincidence? An attempt to have his compadres overthrow him? A gaslighting to have the Russians get rid of him for the West?

Here's one you won't like and will soon completely change the slant being put on here.

Is the claim of madness actually presenting any defence lawyers with a chance to claim diminished responsibility in the event of a trial? Don't think that would enjoy support from those pushing this.

Well now, is he mad?

Entirely possible and as much chance of being unlikely.

The same story about collecting peoples stools was said of Stalin. Coincidence? An attempt to have his compadres overthrow him? A gaslighting to have the Russians get rid of him for the West?

Here's one you won't like and will soon completely change the slant being put on here.

Is the claim of madness actually presenting any defence lawyers with a chance to claim diminished responsibility in the event of a trial? Don't think that would enjoy support from those pushing this.

Too many people confuse incomprehensibly ruthlessness combined with brutal audaciousness (i.e. "evil") with insanity. Putin had succeeded in brutal adventurism like this before. It stands to reason that he thought his winning streak would continue uninterrupted.

Too many people confuse incomprehensibly ruthlessness combined with brutal audaciousness (i.e. "evil") with insanity. Putin had succeeded in brutal adventurism like this before. It stands to reason that he thought his winning streak would continue uninterrupted.

If Putin is mad for the crimes he has committed, why not others who have committed the same crimes apparently with the sole difference of not having stools examined?

If Putin is mad for the crimes he has committed, why not others who have committed the same crimes apparently with the sole difference of not having stools examined?

That's my point. I don't think he is insane. People only start calling dictators possessed by ruthless audacity "insane" when they hit speed bumps.

Paranoia, aggression, isolation, all signs of a deteriorating mental condition.

Fears 'paranoid' Putin has lost his mind as leader limits contact to inner circle

Even the RWNJ National REview is wondering.

Has Putin Actually Lost His Mind?
He may very well have.

By all observations it would appear that Putin thought that this was going to be an easy win, that he could simply march into Kiev , depose the democratically elected government and install one of his own choosing. This certainly doesn't add up in a reality based world view nor a reality based assessment.

If you go to his recent over 1 hour speech, it slides into non-reality and unrealistic as well.

Maybe he has lost his mind. I'm willing to give this a hearing.

It's not just Biden, although I agree he is part of the issue.

It's the country, in general.

Just look at this board and the Jew/Palestinian mentality that seems to exist here between right and left.
"The right views the left as people with bad ideas.
The left views the right as bad people with ideas."

Accurate and true, and expressed succinctly.

Putin hasn't changed at all. His actions today are totally congruent with his entire known history, from his tenure in the KGB, his cold war influences, his ruthless strong arm tactics . . . all of it. His invasion of South Ossetia, his invasion of Crimea, . . . . .

Insanity is something that tends to be unpredictable - but Putin is anything but. You can almost draw a straight line from his school days to Kyiv. And the West's insistence on NATO expansion after the dissolution of the SSRs has provided Vladimir with more than enough pretext.
A fair counter assessment.

The man has started a war that is opposed by practically every country on the face of the planet.

Who in their right mind does that?

The question shouldn't be "has Putin lost his mind" but "what's his end game/exit strategy".
The far more scarier part is if he doesn't have an end game/exit strategy.

Back
Top Bottom