• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Handgun or AR-15

zsu2357

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I was sure I heard handgun and then it just sorta went off the radar with no mention and the AR-15 took the center stage.
It did go from possibly rifle to an absolute.
Now this is shortly after, but how do you go from a handgun to possibly a rifle to no mention of handgun later?

I was sure I heard handgun and then it just sorta went off the radar with no mention and the AR-15 took the center stage.
Now this is shortly after, but how do you go from a handgun to possibly a rifle to no mention of handgun later?

Easily. Rumor and hearsay are reported as “breaking news” and then, eventually, facts might later replace them.

The same way he was first being chased by border patrol and then he wasn't. And first he was a trans kid and then he wasn't. Rumors and bad info are flying every which way in a situation like that.

The same way he was first being chased by border patrol and then he wasn't. And first he was a trans kid and then he wasn't. Rumors and bad info are flying every which way in a situation like that.
We really shouldn't pay any attention to "details" for 48 hours.

Well people shot on the scene that didn't die but later died in the hospital would cause the body count to go up.
That was exactly my point. The total details of the event are often not known until well after the event has passed.

how do you go from a handgun to possibly a rifle to no mention of handgun later?

Gun rights groups keep looking at gun control compromises as a slippery slope to full gun control. Yet they're overlooking how partial gun control could appease people enough to prevent the risk to them of total gun control "in one fell swoop" as Matt Damon would say about Australia.
https://ew.com/article/2016/07/05/matt-damon-gun-control-jason-bourne-interview/

https://www.samharris.org/podcasts/making-sense-episodes/283-gun-violence-in-america
23:08 (Graeme Wood) "One argument that I've heard people make is the AR15 is an excellent against tyranny... But if we're just talking about self-defence... then you could just say no more AR15s but anyone who wants to can own a shotgun... The upper half of a home invader would no longer exist and it wouldn't be very useful as an offensive weapon... It seems like the good guy uses of a shotgun are high and the bad guy uses are pretty low. No more AR15s, no more handguns but you can have a shotgun anytime you want it?"

Criminals will adapt to the weapons legally available and if they can only get shotguns then lo and behold shotgun crime will rise exponentially.

24:15 (Sam Harris - paraphrased) "The overwhelming problem with firearms in our society is a problem of handguns. A handgun is preferable to a shotgun because banning the handgun is a non-starter in this society. The handgun can be concealed by a mass shooter until the last moment whereas an AR15 gives people the ability to notice that something is about to happen. Any place that doesn't have a metal detector is vulnerable to someone with a handgun. It's easier to wrestle a long gun away from an attacker."

A rifle is concealable if you disassemble the barrel and hide the parts in a bag. For example a springer air-rifle can be cocked to half of its length. So I don't think this a knock-down argument for rifles being safer than handguns. If it was an impromptu attack then the gunman might not bother to conceal a rifle but this wouldn't be the case for a stealthy shooter. The suitcases of rifles brought by Stephen Paddock into the Las Vegas hotel were invisible to the staff.

A broken rifle could fit inside a backpack:
2C087B7E-1AA8-4392-8BF7-DF5F88054631.jpeg

44:13 (Graeme Wood) "You should organise the school such that there are lots of ways out."

An interesting half-measure but a playground mass shooting is almost as much of a threat as a classroom mass shooting.

1:10:05 (Sam Harris) "I was thinking about another heavily armed society where things like this don't happen; it plays out as the most dewy eyed NRA enthusiast would imagine. I'm thinking of Israel."

The problem with other heavily armed societies that don't have as many mass shootings as America is temporal; they haven't yet had a mass shooting. Sadly Norway could have said the same before Breivik's rampage. It only takes one evil person* to attempt such an atrocity and some of the relative safety in gun countries like Switzerland is attributable to luck. The longer the timespan since the last terror attack, the greater the risk that complacency among civilians will creep in. After Breivik's attack, does every village on remote islands through-out the world have an armed response team? Only state-wide gun control could prevent a repeat of such an attack. Having a society where half the population own guns and the other half don't isn't a great compromise in my opinion due to the strength imbalance against unarmed people. Banning rifles and legalising handguns for everyone would almost be less worse thanks to the equality in weaponry. A second point to make is that Israel has actually had mass shootings in its history:

"Goldstein opened fire on a large number of Palestinian Muslims who had gathered to pray inside the Ibrahimi Mosque in Hebron. The attack left 29 people dead, several as young as 12 years, and 125 wounded."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_the_Patriarchs_massacre

*A nation's multi-million population counts as a truly large number where criminal anomalies are to be expected:

Wiki: The law of truly large numbers (a statistical adage), states that with a large enough number of samples, any highly implausible (i.e. unlikely in any single sample) result is likely to be observed.

Last edited:
YOu know that's a pump action pellet gun, right?

Hi yes; it was a bit of an analogy. An semi-auto rifle would be even easier than a single-shot rifle to disassemble and hide away:

How to Disassemble an M4 .223 | Gun Guide

If time isn't a factor then you could break down a gun even further:
ADA992DC-131C-4829-9A53-0DBC395D46EE_4_5005_c.jpeg

Hi yes; it was a bit of an analogy. An semi-auto rifle would be even easier than a single-shot rifle to disassemble and hide away:

View attachment 67394144

Easier than folding the pellet gun in half?

LOL

View attachment 67394144

You know that first gun is an air rifle...right? And that is not how it gets broken down but rather how the air cynder gets charged?

That was exactly my point. The total details of the event are often not known until well after the event has passed.
Good point. Gosh I wonder if they are going to bring in a demolition crew with signed confidentiality agreements to level the place and haul it off?

And that's how we get Sandy Hooks, irresponsible reporting.
That's really kind of why we have a lot of the social problems we have now. When I was a kid back in the '90s there weren't BLM riots in fact white kids and Asian kids and everybody else seem to be able to get along just fine. The media created The divide to sell Chevrolets and Peyronie's disease medications.

Yeah but if it bleeds it leads so that's why you hear about it before all the details are in.
Yeah ever go to read something online and it's exactly the same outlet after outlet? They won't check for
inaccuracy's they just pull it and run it.

Yeah ever go to read something online and it's exactly the same outlet after outlet? They won't check for
inaccuracy's they just pull it and run it.
To be honest I never read anything from these sources anymore. And I think a lot of people are doing the same thing I would advise instead of clicking on their websites save it first to archive, and then read the copy and archive so you can deny them the internet traffic. The way they make money is selling ad space. That's why whenever you click on one of these sources another reason why I don't click on them it's always this circus and the screen jumps around and there's these video advertisements that are two or three minutes long that you can't stop.

That's really kind of why we have a lot of the social problems we have now. When I was a kid back in the '90s there weren't BLM riots in fact white kids and Asian kids and everybody else seem to be able to get along just fine. The media created The divide to sell Chevrolets and Peyronie's disease medications.
We had the same problem of everyone getting along.

To be honest I never read anything from these sources anymore. And I think a lot of people are doing the same thing I would advise instead of clicking on their websites save it first to archive, and then read the copy and archive so you can deny them the internet traffic. The way they make money is selling ad space. That's why whenever you click on one of these sources another reason why I don't click on them it's always this circus and the screen jumps around and there's these video advertisements that are two or three minutes long that you can't stop.
When I go to a site to read something if I get a bunch of sign up shit or other garbage I gotta wade through I go elsewhere. I read news articles from different states covering some event that happened then usually double check it against some other news article about it if I use it. I said outlet I just saw that -edit- when I said outlet I meant something like KGW, KOAP more local types or what have you, not CNN,FOX,MSNBC et al.

When I go to a site to read something if I get a bunch of sign up shit or other garbage I gotta wade through I go elsewhere. I read news articles from different states covering some event that happened then usually double check it against some other news article about it if I use it. I said outlet I just saw that -edit- when I said outlet I meant something like KGW, KOAP more local types or what have you, not CNN,FOX,MSNBC et al.
I refuse to give traffic to news sites.

Back
Top Bottom