• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guns, Machete and Ammo Get Jan. 6 Protester a 4-Year Prison Term

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Seems like a light sentence, but maybe Mr Coffman handed over a few names to the FBI that helped to possibly reduce his sentence.

The weapons were found in Coffman’s pickup truck, which he parked a half-mile from the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, to attend a rally at the National Mall, the Justice Department said. His truck also was stocked with large-capacity ammunition-feeding devices, a crossbow, machetes, camouflage smoke devices and a stun gun, the government said.

“Coffman also carried a loaded handgun and a loaded revolver as he walked around the area that day,” the DOJ said in a statement.

Coffman didn’t have a license to carry a pistol in the District of Columbia and had not registered any firearms in the national database as required by law, the Justice Department said. A search of his home also uncovered 12 jars containing more ignitable substances for Molotov cocktails, the U.S. said.

It sounds like a light sentence, I agree. But when you think of the impact on his life - being away from family, not free to go anywhere, probably the loss of his job & income.....I'll bet it doesn't sound light to him. But I do think he should have gotten more time.

Well, forget the loss of job - he's 72. You'd think he might have known better.

It sounds like a light sentence, I agree. But when you think of the impact on his life - being away from family, not free to go anywhere, probably the loss of his job & income.....I'll bet it doesn't sound light to him. But I do think he should have gotten more time.

They gave a black woman 5 years in prison for a mistaken vote that was not counted.

It pays to be white.

Maybe it's light because he didn't use any of those weapons? (Thankfully)

Seems like a light sentence, but maybe Mr Coffman handed over a few names to the FBI that helped to possibly reduce his sentence.

The weapons were found in Coffman’s pickup truck, which he parked a half-mile from the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, to attend a rally at the National Mall, the Justice Department said. His truck also was stocked with large-capacity ammunition-feeding devices, a crossbow, machetes, camouflage smoke devices and a stun gun, the government said.

“Coffman also carried a loaded handgun and a loaded revolver as he walked around the area that day,” the DOJ said in a statement.

Coffman didn’t have a license to carry a pistol in the District of Columbia and had not registered any firearms in the national database as required by law, the Justice Department said. A search of his home also uncovered 12 jars containing more ignitable substances for Molotov cocktails, the U.S. said.
Just a friendly kegger..

Not possible. The insurrectionists weren't armed. Just ask any republican.

Meanwhile a person is sitting in prison for at least a decade with no chance of parole for being caught with a joint of marijuana in some red states.

The priorities in our nation are all messed up.

That person should be facing much more than only 4 years in prison.

If all he got was 4 years, he must have cooperated quite nicely with the FBI.

Meanwhile a person is sitting in prison for at least a decade with no chance of parole for being caught with a joint of marijuana in some red states.
Totally insane. Here, the provinces are raking it in from legal pot sales.

what firearms do you think he had that were required to be registered nationally?

Not possible. The insurrectionists weren't armed. Just ask any republican.
Remind us about the firearm that was fired that day?
The firearm that a capitol police officer used to shoot and killed a unarmed tressapsser.
The only violence with a firearm that day.

The firearm that a capitol police officer used to shoot and killed a unarmed tressapsser.
Nobody shot an unarmed trespasser.

nobody? a police officer did

Question for you: If the same circumstances happened at DoJ headquarters, would DoJ security try to stop them from entering?

By the looks of his personal arsenal, his "job' may be domestic terrorism. imo

What were the guidelines? Are the terms lenient for these crimes? It seems most J6 sentences are lenient.
But, believe me at 72, 4 years could be a life sentence.

Maybe if a shot was fired by Police before the Insurrectionists entered the Capital building, we would be having a completely different conversation.

Back
Top Bottom