• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Great Examples of the Bible's Historical Accuracy...

But people did think that Troy was fictional until excavations starting in 1871 showed layers that matched the description in the Illiad and showed evidence of war.

That some of the history in the Bible is true has never been questioned by anyone and does nothing to prove the truth of any supernatural claims.
True. I'm always interested when more of the historical reporting in the Bible is discovered to be true, though. I hate when Bible critics say dumb stuff like Christ didn't exist. Among other things, those people were recording their history and it's ignorant and arrogant to say it's all fiction.

Then, of course, there are the ones that shows that there are Bible inaccuracies, such as 'exodus', and 'global flood'. For that matter,

It has been shown those two claims can NOT have happened,
I thought the exodus did happen?

I thought the exodus did happen?
No. For one, there would be evidence of nomads in the Sinai Desert if it happened, like camps, pits for waste, etc etc etc. None of that is in evidence, and that is after many hundreds of years of looking. The evidence is the Hebrew culture of that time developed from the Northern Canaanites, not from the migration of Hebrew escaped slaves from Egypt. There might be some historical basis, but nothing that is provable. At best, it is taking a minor event and exaggerating the heck out of it. There definitely is some egyptian influence, but since they are a much more advanced civilization that is just next door, that would be expected.

True. I'm always interested when more of the historical reporting in the Bible is discovered to be true, though. I hate when Bible critics say dumb stuff like Christ didn't exist. Among other things, those people were recording their history and it's ignorant and arrogant to say it's all fiction.
Is there any proof of Moses existence?

At best, it is taking a minor event and exaggerating the heck out of it
Yes. More likely, but I still wonder if that event did take place. Not 40 years, not the 10 commandments, but some Hebrews got stuck as slaves in Egypt for a time, and then got away when Egypt went through a time of chaos due to social unrest, etc. At least, I don't count that out.

Yes. More likely, but I still wonder if that event did take place. Not 40 years, not the 10 commandments, but some Hebrews got stuck as slaves in Egypt for a time, and then got away when Egypt went through a time of chaos due to social unrest, etc. At least, I don't count that out.

It is feasible that the smaller one might have happened, but not the story as told in the bible. There is also no evidence of that happening, but there is no evidence that it could not have happened. There is evidence that it did not happen as told in the story of Exodus.

It is feasible that the smaller one might have happened, but not the story as told in the bible. There is also no evidence of that happening, but there is no evidence that it could not have happened. There is evidence that it did not happen as told in the story of Exodus.
I was never arguing for the historical accuracy of the Book of Exodus. But it's a humdinger of a tale, is it not? People hunger for heroes, epic history, super powerful forces on their side.

I was never arguing for the historical accuracy of the Book of Exodus. But it's a humdinger of a tale, is it not? People hunger for heroes, epic history, super powerful forces on their side.
There was a Rabbi that was asked if the Exodus was a true story. His response was 'It's absolutely true. It just might not be historically accurate'

There was a Rabbi that was asked if the Exodus was a true story. His response was 'It's absolutely true. It just might not be historically accurate'
Well, that sounds just like what a Rabbi would say. Confound all these learned folks, anyway, saying clever stuff I don't understand.

Well, that sounds just like what a Rabbi would say. Confound all these learned folks, anyway, saying clever stuff I don't understand.
It means at a story, it tells a lot of moral lessons and lessons about humanity, but it really didn't happen.

It means at a story, it tells a lot of moral lessons and lessons about humanity, but it really didn't happen.
Thankee!

I really like Moses being hidden in the bullrushes as an infant and taken in by a Princess to lead a charmed life.

Every once upon a time story starts here.

People who claim the Bible isn't true history (or whatever) ignore lots of key facts.

Most of us grew up thinking that Yuri Gagarin landed in his spacecraft that he became the first man to enter space in.

He didn't. But that wasn't known until the 1990s.

Thankee!

I really like Moses being hidden in the bullrushes as an infant and taken in by a Princess to lead a charmed life.

Every once upon a time story starts here.
One think you might want to look at is The Legend of Sargon

This indicates a cultural interchange between the ancient Canaanites and Egypt, as well as the fictionalization of the story of Moses.

Interesting read, if anyone's interested.

Hum yes and no You have to remember that, like all media, they do have certain bias, and as a Israeli news organization, they do post articles that highly exaggerate things like that, just like you will see western news papers talk about 'discoveries' about Jesus in Israel around this time of year. Some amount of their evidence is taken out of context and exaggerated. It's to see papers and promote Judaism. So, like the western news papers making stories about Jesus this time of year, so they make claims about evidence for the exodus. Many of the things they mention might be true, but they are not evidence for the exodus. It is evidence of the fact the two cultures interacted.

Hum yes and no You have to remember that, like all media, they do have certain bias, and as a Israeli news organization, they do post articles that highly exaggerate things like that, just like you will see western news papers talk about 'discoveries' about Jesus in Israel around this time of year. Some amount of their evidence is taken out of context and exaggerated. It's to see papers and promote Judaism. So, like the western news papers making stories about Jesus this time of year, so they make claims about evidence for the exodus. Many of the things they mention might be true, but they are not evidence for the exodus. It is evidence of the fact the two cultures interacted.
Alright.

I have never met or even heard of anyone who says that everything in the bible is fiction
I could introduce you to a few of them residing right here on DP. Just a simple search with the words "the Bible is myth" would do the trick. I would cite the specific examples, but then you might choose to defend them with nuances and I would be tempted to debate something which is really not pertaining to the thread.

I could introduce you to a few of them residing right here on DP. Just a simple search with the words "the Bible is myth" would do the trick. I would cite the specific examples, but then you might choose to defend them with nuances and I would be tempted to debate something which is really not pertaining to the thread.
Every single person on here that I have seen who have said that was clearly referring to the supernatural aspects of the bible

Every single person on here that I have seen who have said tat was clearly referring to the supernatural aspects of the bible
Ok. Enjoy your day.

Every single person on here that I have seen who have said that was clearly referring to the supernatural aspects of the bible
Then you haven't been paying attention...

Then you haven't been paying attention...
No one ever claimed 100% of the bible is fiction

But there are theists who claim it is 100% fact

Which means we have no idea what the original versions of the Old Testament said and what was changed/added later.

The oral tradition/transmission of the Old Testament was reliable.

The Old Testament is by far the most reliable book of history of the ancient world.
In fact, there is not even a good candidate for the second most reliable historical text.
We obviously cannot prove that everything in the Old Testament happened from other sources. This is because we simply do not have enough other reliable sources. I cannot prove that David fought Goliath from other sources, for example. However, without a single exception, whenever the historical claims and information in the Bible has been compared to known facts, either from archaeological discovery or from reasonable inference from other histories, the Old Testament has proved to be reliable. Finds such as the Tel Dan inscription, the Ebla Tablets, the Moabite Stone, the Cyrus Cylinder, the Taylor Prism, the Siloam Inscription, the Tel el Amarna letters, the Nuzi Tablets, the Behuistan Inscription and many more have consistently supported the reliability of the Old Testament. For many years, historians doubted the existence of the biblical city of Nineveh. Then they dug up the city of Nineveh. Historians questioned the reality of the Hittites. Then they discovered Hattusha, the capital of the Hittites. The said David was not a real person. Then they found the Tel Dan inscription which shows this to be a lie. I could go on for dozens of examples. Archaeological digs around the Dead Sea confirm five cities, all destroyed about 2100 BC. A tablet found in Babylon confirms that King Jehoachim was in fact taken there and given special honor. You will find a chapter on this topic in my book “Reasons for Belief” also at www.ipibooks.com, as well as more info on the topic in the power point section of my web site.

I will conclude that the Old Testament is historically a fantastically reliable document. This is part of the evidence for its inspiration. If you read the histories of the Assyrians, the Mayans, the Egyptians and the Greeks, they tend to exaggerate or even fabricate. They also have a hugely biased account, ignoring nearly all mistakes and disasters. The Bible definitely does not follow this pattern. It is chock full of very bad errors and defeats of its leaders.

I challenge anyone to produce any ancient history which can hold a candle to the Old Testament as a reliable source of information about the ancient world.

The challenge goes to you too. Can you provide something?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom