• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Governor Ron DeSantis Signs Financial Literacy Bill to Support Florida’s Students

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. Today, Governor Ron DeSantis signed Senate Bill 1054, titled the Dorothy L. Hukill Financial Literacy Act, which will require high school students to take a financial literacy course to receive a standard high school diploma. The legislation will officially become a graduation requirement for students who enter high school in the 2023-2024 school year and will not affect students currently enrolled in high school.

“Financial literacy is an important life skill for a student to have,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “Ensuring our students have the skills to manage their finances and perhaps one day own a business will pay dividends for our state. I am proud to sign this bill to support the future of Florida’s students and ultimately their families and communities.”

Two common sense pieces out of FL this week.
In theory it's a good idea. I have doubts about the content of the bill. Will it talk about the importance of tithing or making political donations?

I'd say if a choice is needed, I'd argue financial literacy should be higher priority than some of the other classes taught. Not that those classes aren't important, but financial literacy is more important than many.

My question is whether this curriculum is going into social studies, math, or both. Then, what gets cut? Obviously the legislators thought it would work out, otherwise they wouldn't have passed it with bipartisan support.

Oh....MY.....LMAO!:ROFLMAO::LOL:
View attachment 67381829

I'm sure he'd like to require a Magic Sky Man Indoctrination curriculum, and maybe insert Gun Nut Basics 101 in there somewhere as well.
Lets be honest...."academics" is something that folks like Decrapis dont have a whole lotta time or patience for. Ya know how much they hate the Librull Purrfesssirrs, its been well documented many many times.
Why would you be sure of that? He's not suggested anything of the kind.

The ones that don't have time for academics are the ones who insist that we need to have teachers discussing gender identity and sexual orientation with third graders, and modifiying the history curriculum to fit the woke agenda and the 1619 project.

Everyone should hate the Leftist professors. What does that have to do with academics? It's the Leftist professors who have dumbed down the curricula in schools in the US over the past 50 years.

Aren't students already required to take math? Is this another one of those feel-good but completely irrelevant and redundant Decrapis thangs?
Math isn't the same as understanding credit ratings and loans. Anyone can do their time tables but how does that make them literate in buying a house and understanding local/state laws for credit regulations?

I am actually good with this, one of the biggest faults of our public education system is not bothering to prepare students for real life. Money, credit, dealing with Banks, dealing with interest rates, debt, investment, what have you. Assuming the bill makes an impact with this fault I am good to support it.
Yep, this is something I can support as well. It's scary to see how many people don't have a basic understanding of managing finances and the broader financial environment.

In theory it's a good idea. I have doubts about the content of the bill. Will it talk about the importance of tithing or making political donations?
If the Democrats get their hands on it, there will be sections added on the importance of racial and sexual/gender diversity in investing - the need for white students to invest in black owned businesses, as well as the history of American finance and its racist and patriarchal roots, and don't forget the inherent racism and sexism of the capitalist economy in general - we'll need to include chapters on that. We can spend a day exploring why the saying "opening the kimono" is both sexist and racist. https://www.ellevest.com/magazine/disrupt-money/sexist-finance-terms

Math isn't the same as understanding credit ratings and loans. Anyone can do their time tables but how does that make them literate in buying a house and understanding local/state laws for credit regulations?

For the record, I am not against teaching such things as interest rates etc in schools. And that is well covered, at least it was in my state which really is a fairly backward state, and I'm sure its covered in Floriduh too, but this is Decrapis being Decrapis and "requiring" something that already exists.

But its cool, doesnt hurt me any.

Something akin to "home economics" for home finance would be great. I would want the schools to go over - (a) how is money earned in the US (work, investing, savings, etc.), (b) what is money (currency, metals, the former gold standard, etc), (c) how can we have money (at home, in banks, in investment accounts, equity in businesses, real estate, etc.), (d) basic things like how to open checking and savings accounts, how to balance accounts, (e) how to create a balance sheet and financial statement, (f) calculating interest on accounts, how to apply for and get loans, and the nature of the credit rating system, etc.

I'm sure there is a ton more, but some of that in high school would be fantastic.

For the record, I am not against teaching such things as interest rates etc in schools. And that is well covered, at least it was in my state which really is a fairly backward state, and I'm sure its covered in Floriduh too, but this is Decrapis being Decrapis and "requiring" something that already exists.

You sounded very much against it. You referenced basic math to credit and loan/finance learning. As if they are related. You then started calling the governor a name which leads me to believe you just disagree with him no matter what he does. Fair assumption?

If the Democrats get their hands on it, there will be sections added on the importance of racial and sexual/gender diversity in investing - the need for white students to invest in black owned businesses, as well as the history of American finance and its racist and patriarchal roots, and don't forget the inherent racism and sexism of the capitalist economy in general - we'll need to include chapters on that. We can spend a day exploring why the saying "opening the kimono" is both sexist and racist. https://www.ellevest.com/magazine/disrupt-money/sexist-finance-terms
1648140058007.png

Maybe you could search for the bill and read it rather than sharing your dumb musings.

My question is whether this curriculum is going into social studies, math, or both. Then, what gets cut? Obviously the legislators thought it would work out, otherwise they wouldn't have passed it with bipartisan support.

For argument sake lets say the hardest choices that seem like a possibility - (for record I hope it isn't) but financial literacy gets added and the number of credits don't change. So for round numbers lets say currently you need 4 math, 4 science, 4 social, 4 electives and 4 art/music/lang type classes

With this change math gets a 5th because of financial literacy. One of the others drops to a 3 as a result. In my opinion, elective get 3. But even if they want kids to have more flexibility and 4 science or social classes goes to 3 I'd still be ok. If I kid is only has to take 3 science classes, and can take if they choose with electives, I see no issue there for the benefit of financial literacy.

Florida schools are among the better schools in the nation.

DeSantis also spearheaded a recent program to fund schools over a quarter billion dollars more - Namely
  • $105 million for after-school and summer learning camps that help struggling students catch up;
  • $47 million for primary materials aligned to Florida’s new standards for English Language Arts (ELA), math, civics and Holocaust education;
  • $50 million to support reading intervention and professional development for reading coaches;
  • $44 million to support STEM and hands-on learning programs;
  • $22.5 million for resources to help parents be more involved in their children’s education; and
  • $5 million to establish Regional Mental Health Resiliency Teams.

DeSantis is also moving the State away from over-reliance on standardized testing, especially the end of year Florida State Assessments which were considered "high stakes testing" - putting kids on the spot at the end of year to either pass or fail. Starting in 2022 and 2023, Florida is going to a "progress monitoring" system, with check-ins on all students three times a year, not one giant "winner take all" at the end of the year. If you listen to the media, though, you wouldn't know this, and the teacher's unions are so up the Democrats' asses that they can't do anything but bitch about it.

He has also increased public school funding to its highest ever by any measure, and he has given the largest increases in teacher compensation ever.

But yeah - he's all religious and "Floriduh." LOL.

Many parents don't have a clue about lots of things, which is why we're seeing so much hostility at school board meetings as well as book bannings. Uncle Ron, though, he knows best.
Right, parents should sit back passively while "skilled educators" churn out graduates who can't read at a functional level, struggle to make change for a dollar, and can't tell time from an analog clock. Worse, schoolboard associations conspire with Federal law enforcement to treat parents protesting schoolboard abuses as terrorists.

Right, parents should sit back passively while "skilled educators" churn out graduates who can't read at a functional level, struggle to make change for a dollar, and can't tell time from an analog clock. Worse, schoolboard associations conspire with Federal law enforcement to treat parents protesting schoolboard abuses as terrorists.

I have a few friends who are teachers and guidance counselors. I was shocked to hear how many people get insanely pissed when a school fails their kid and their kid didn't do or doesn't comprehend the work. It amazes me how many people value a diploma over the education.

Given most time in public schools is wasted, I would suspect there is some opportunity to teach finance.
Asinine comments like these nearly always come from people who have not set foot in a public school since they graduated were dropped out.

Yes, those are the talking points. Beautifully regurgitated.

I have a few friends who are teachers and guidance counselors. I was shocked to hear how many people get insanely pissed when a school fails their kid and their kid didn't do or doesn't comprehend the work. It amazes me how many people value a diploma over the education.
I'm more amazed at how many parents can't tell you what their kid is learning.

wow, Republicans did something useful for once

High school is still for 14-18 year olds, right? I would think that parents should/would have addressed financial literacy long before high school.

Parenting is a lost art, imo.

Yeah, parenting went down the shitter when greedy companies couldn't pay wages so only one parent had to work, now both have to work, and many longer and longer hours, which would definitely take away from parenting. On top of that, due to cost of living in places where there is jobs, many have to commute long distances to get to work so its even more time away from kids

Here is the relevant text of a pretty short bill:

(h) One-half credit in personal financial literacy.—
Beginning with students entering grade 9 in the 2022-2023 school
year, each student must earn one-half credit in personal
financial literacy and money management. This instruction must
include discussion of or instruction in all of the following:
1. Types of bank accounts offered, opening and managing a
bank account, and assessing the quality of a depository
institution’s services.
2. Balancing a checkbook.
3. Basic principles of money management, such as spending,
credit, credit scores, and managing debt, including retail and credit card debt.
4. Completing a loan application.
5. Receiving an inheritance and related implications.
6. Basic principles of personal insurance policies.
7. Computing federal income taxes.
8. Local tax assessments.
9. Computing interest rates by various mechanisms.
10. Simple contracts.
11. Contesting an incorrect billing statement.
12. Types of savings and investments.
13. State and federal laws concerning finance.

Here is the relevant text of a pretty short bill:

(h) One-half credit in personal financial literacy.—
Beginning with students entering grade 9 in the 2022-2023 school
year, each student must earn one-half credit in personal
financial literacy and money management. This instruction must
include discussion of or instruction in all of the following:
1. Types of bank accounts offered, opening and managing a
bank account, and assessing the quality of a depository
institution’s services.
2. Balancing a checkbook.
3. Basic principles of money management, such as spending,
credit, credit scores, and managing debt, including retail and credit card debt.
4. Completing a loan application.
5. Receiving an inheritance and related implications.
6. Basic principles of personal insurance policies.
7. Computing federal income taxes.
8. Local tax assessments.
9. Computing interest rates by various mechanisms.
10. Simple contracts.
11. Contesting an incorrect billing statement.
12. Types of savings and investments.
13. State and federal laws concerning finance.
Common sense stuff right there. And 1/2 a credit sounds like it will be a part of the year elective.

High school is still for 14-18 year olds, right? I would think that parents should/would have addressed financial literacy long before high school.

Parenting is a lost art, imo.

same with sex ed. something that parents are usually far more familar with than even financial education.

I think the law is a good idea. teach things like basic balancing of checkbook, basic low level investing. the time value of money. the importance of saving.
things that will definitely help prepare them for adult life.

Back
Top Bottom