• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Governor Ron DeSantis Signs Financial Literacy Bill to Support Florida’s Students

Use your imagination. Or go to the library and read some of the modern young adult books. Sarah Maas is a good place to start.

OH NO!! You mean....*gasp* NEKKID WIMMIN?!?😧😧🤮

The sex scenes I'm talking about are nothing like Shakespeare's.

When I went to high school, some of the female students were pregnant. Literally like going to class pregnant, late in pregnancy.

Do you think they will be harmed by books? Dont get me wrong, sexually explicit material isnt for elementary schoolers obviously.
By the time I was in 6th grade I had read Gone With the Wind and James Clavell's Shogun.

Can you give examples of what has you so worried about books?

The sex scenes I'm talking about are nothing like Shakespeare's.
Really?

The beast that makes two backs.

Black ram tupping your white ewe.

Lavinia raped and mutliated in Titus Andronicus

Underaged teenage sex and murder in Romeo and Juliet

And then there is all of the violence

All filthy.

When I went to high school, some of the female students were pregnant. Literally like going to class pregnant, late in pregnancy.

Do you think they will be harmed by books? Dont get me wrong, sexually explicit material isnt for elementary schoolers obviously.
By the time I was in 6th grade I had read Gone With the Wind and James Clavell's Shogun.

GASP! Scandalous. I'm talking about explicit sex scenes.

Can you give examples of what has you so worried about books?

Can I give you examples of graphic sex in literature? No, pretty sure that would break the rules here. Look up some Sarah Maas sex scenes for starters.

Anyway .................. this topic is way off the OP's topic. We're already talking about this elsewhere so I'll respond there if you want to continue.

Anyone ban "Wizard's First Rule" by Terry Goodkind?

That has some serious kinky shit in it.

Can I give you examples of graphic sex in literature? No, pretty sure that would break the rules here. Look up some Sarah Maas sex scenes for starters.
Is it anything like a couple of daughters whose dad offers them up to a crowd of men to be raped a couple of days later getting him drunk and having sex with him?

Because that story is sick.

Is it anything like a couple of daughters whose dad offers them up to a crowd of men to be raped a couple of days later getting him drunk and having sex with him?

Because that story is sick.

Agreed.

I know...................
Yet... a lack of understanding about that story means that there are parts of Western Culture and Art that becomes a black hole.

Kids can handle sex.

Heck when I was 14 I read Lord Foul's Bane because it was the hot Fantasy book at the time and it had all sorts of adult themes in it.

Stop coddling kids.

If High School kids can handle Romeo and Juliet or Oedopus Rex then they can handle Sarah Maas.

GASP! Scandalous. I'm talking about explicit sex scenes.

Anyway .................. this topic is way off the OP's topic. We're already talking about this elsewhere so I'll respond there if you want to continue.

OK. Probably not a topic that I am interested in discussing further at this time.
I believe that most kids that are readers will definitely read graphic sex, violence, and all sort of adult themes very early in life, say by Jr high school if not earlier.
I do understand your point as well.
This topic has been discussed quite a bit already with the GOP book burnings and such going on.
tips hat.gif

It seems like a stupid idea. Yes, its a good idea to know how to budget your daily expenses and use credit wisely, but a whole class on it?

They would be better served learning about the the monopolistic practices of business, which of them get subsidies and why and the issue of the yawning gap between the very rich and everybody else, and the consequences of these things on on our lives.

Well informed consumers is a good thing, but well informed citizens are essential to a functioning democracy.

It seems like a stupid idea. Yes, its a good idea to know how to budget your daily expenses and use credit wisely, but a whole class on it?

They would be better served learning about the the monopolistic practices of business, which of them get subsidies and why and the issue of the yawning gap between the very rich and everybody else, and the consequences of these things on on our lives.

Well informed consumers is a good thing, but well informed citizens are essential to a functioning democracy.
We can't have that.

The point of school is to produce future economic inputs... not Jacobins.

I am actually good with this, one of the biggest faults of our public education system is not bothering to prepare students for real life. Money, credit, dealing with Banks, dealing with interest rates, debt, investment, what have you. Assuming the bill makes an impact with this fault I am good to support it.
Agreed. I’d like to see all states adopt this.

DeSantis should crush the competition if he runs in 2024 for President.

He is doing a great job. He should also push for other academic topics to be stressed - give the schools more to do in terms of academics and then maybe they wont have all this time on their hands to dick around with "gender studies" glossaries and vocabulary lists full of 100 different "genders."

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. Today, Governor Ron DeSantis signed Senate Bill 1054, titled the Dorothy L. Hukill Financial Literacy Act, which will require high school students to take a financial literacy course to receive a standard high school diploma. The legislation will officially become a graduation requirement for students who enter high school in the 2023-2024 school year and will not affect students currently enrolled in high school.

“Financial literacy is an important life skill for a student to have,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “Ensuring our students have the skills to manage their finances and perhaps one day own a business will pay dividends for our state. I am proud to sign this bill to support the future of Florida’s students and ultimately their families and communities.”

Two common sense pieces out of FL this week.
The real question is "Why were the students not being taught this all along?".

PS - Given the current rate and level of literacy and numeracy amongst American high school graduates, I have some serious doubts that the course can be taught with sufficient rigor to actually be any use to the students. On the other hand, it may teach them how to be able to tell the difference between a "Washington", a "Hamilton", and a "Benjamin" and that a "Lincoln" is better than a "Grant" for 'blow' (because you can get rid of it easier).

This is one of the rare things I agree with DeathSentence on. I think kids are so very often ill-prepared for adult life. And understanding bills and budgeting and saving and investing is a damn good thing to know. I wish I had known more about it.

However, I do find it funny that a party of supposedly small government has been rallying behind a guy who has been using the force of government to force societal change in Florida. Interesting....

Back to the OP--the bill passed the Florida legislature with bipartisan support. I am for it, as long as they can find a way to incorporate this financial literacy into the curriculum without disrupting other skills that students need to learn.

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. Today, Governor Ron DeSantis signed Senate Bill 1054, titled the Dorothy L. Hukill Financial Literacy Act, which will require high school students to take a financial literacy course to receive a standard high school diploma. The legislation will officially become a graduation requirement for students who enter high school in the 2023-2024 school year and will not affect students currently enrolled in high school.

“Financial literacy is an important life skill for a student to have,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “Ensuring our students have the skills to manage their finances and perhaps one day own a business will pay dividends for our state. I am proud to sign this bill to support the future of Florida’s students and ultimately their families and communities.”

Two common sense pieces out of FL this week.

Rare for me to agree with DeSantis - but great job here. I hope other states follow suit.

DeSantis should crush the competition if he runs in 2024 for President.

He is doing a great job. He should also push for other academic topics to be stressed - give the schools more to do in terms of academics and then maybe they wont have all this time on their hands to dick arou

Oh....MY.....LMAO!:ROFLMAO::LOL:
lolz.gif

He should also push for other academic topics to be stressed - give the schools more to do in terms of academics

I'm sure he'd like to require a Magic Sky Man Indoctrination curriculum, and maybe insert Gun Nut Basics 101 in there somewhere as well.
Lets be honest...."academics" is something that folks like Decrapis dont have a whole lotta time or patience for. Ya know how much they hate the Librull Purrfesssirrs, its been well documented many many times.

Back to the OP--the bill passed the Florida legislature with bipartisan support. I am for it, as long as they can find a way to incorporate this financial literacy into the curriculum without disrupting other skills that students need to learn.

I'd say if a choice is needed, I'd argue financial literacy should be higher priority than some of the other classes taught. Not that those classes aren't important, but financial literacy is more important than many.

Given most time in public schools is wasted, I would suspect there is some opportunity to teach finance.

Back
Top Bottom