• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Governor DeSantis

Then by all means Gov DeSantis should go ahead and kick out the crusie lines and the air services such as United and Delta who demand employees be vaccinated.
And he should probably kick out Disneyworld who demands employees be vaccinated and guest wear masks.
Kick them all out Governor.
I think DeSantis has picked the wrong hill to die on. This issue, mask or not, should be a local issue, but then he can’t get the press to pay him all this attention.

Being cleared for an asylum case is this process...you receive a credible fear finding...then, you are either held or released on bond with a NTA...and that NTA requires you present your evidence to an asylum officer and then in court to an IJ....
That's supposed to be the process - for those who enter at border crossing entry points. That's where it can be managed that way.
But you believe all those people shipped off to god-knows-where-in-the-USA have all had credible fear findings? You must be joking.

I think DeSantis has picked the wrong hill to die on. This issue, mask or not, should be a local issue, but then he can’t get the press to pay him all this attention.
Dr. Makary (Johns Hopkins) was interviewed yesterday and asked about masks. He said there has yet to be a single study done to indicate whether or not they help/make a difference. He's quite surprised/annoyed by that because he feels they've had plenty of time to do many a good study of masks by now. While there are new covid happenings that crop up and it's justified that not enough time has passed to have study data yet, he thinks it's quite weird that we don't yet have any decent data on the advantages (or even disadvantages) of masking. But, if you are aware of any good studies showing that regular (not N95) masks do any good, please post a link.

Dr. Makary (Johns Hopkins) was interviewed yesterday and asked about masks. He said there has yet to be a single study done to indicate whether or not they help/make a difference. He's quite surprised/annoyed by that because he feels they've had plenty of time to do many a good study of masks by now. While there are new covid happenings that crop up and it's justified that not enough time has passed to have study data yet, he thinks it's quite weird that we don't yet have any decent data on the advantages (or even disadvantages) of masking. But, if you are aware of any good studies showing that regular (not N95) masks do any good, please post a link.
I don’t have any studies to link, I just feel that the governor thought this was going to be a good idea and the data, as far as infections, seem to be climbing in an alarming manner. There is not a consistent message from the powers that be, either.

Dr. Makary (Johns Hopkins) was interviewed yesterday and asked about masks
Let me guess...on Fox. Nothing like a surgeon who is a gastro intestinal surgeon and believes in herd immunity to be a knowledgeable expert on virology and masking. Get back to us when Fox has a real expert in the field of virology who isn't into fringe theories.

"Martin Adel "Marty" Makary is an American surgeon, professor, and author. He practices surgical oncology and gastrointestinal laparoscopic surgery at the Johns Hopkins Hospital"

That's supposed to be the process - for those who enter at border crossing entry points. That's where it can be managed that way.
But you believe all those people shipped off to god-knows-where-in-the-USA have all had credible fear findings? You must be joking.
almost all of them are fitted with electronic ankle monitoring until they go to their first court date. Asylum officers meet with you monthly...its not as easy to abscond as you seem to think. It took my husband from 2014 until now..he is still going through the process and still meets montly with an asylum officer

I did hear a dr saying the other day the KN95 are the only reliable masks if worn properly, for the delta variant because of the smaller highly tranmissable particles. Cloth masks may provide 20-30% depending. The info is out there but it depends what we are listening to if we hear it.

Let me guess...on Fox. Nothing like a surgeon who is a gastro intestinal surgeon and believes in herd immunity to be a knowledgeable expert on virology and masking. Get back to us when Fox has a real expert in the field of virology who isn't into fringe theories.

"Martin Adel "Marty" Makary is an American surgeon, professor, and author. He practices surgical oncology and gastrointestinal laparoscopic surgery at the Johns Hopkins Hospital"
he is a surgeon that removes tumors...it is an admirable job, but he clearly would not have knowledge of how viruses operate...bacteria, yes...because he has experience in gastroenterology...but not in virology.

Do you have links to good data showing there is an advantage to school children being masked? I'd love to see this published data from a doctor you think "knows". Or, is your post simply snarky source bashing.
Clearly, you think DeSantis is wrong in not allowing schools to mandate masks (instead letting parents choose for their own child). Why is he wrong? Based on what data? If a CDC recommendation - what is their recommendation based upon?
I think required masking of children, especially young children is a very big ask. IMO, that type of "requirement" should have some excellent data behind it. Is Makary right or wrong in that we have none? Rather than silly comments bashing Fox News or Makary - how about a worthwhile comment with good reasoning/links about the value/effectiveness in masking of school children?

I did hear a dr saying the other day the KN95 are the only reliable masks if worn properly, for the delta variant because of the smaller highly tranmissable particles. Cloth masks may provide 20-30% depending. The info is out there but it depends what we are listening to if we hear it.
I have heard similar reporting lately - that the only masks of value for delta are the N95, worn properly. As yet, I haven't heard that is what is proposed for schools.

I don’t have any studies to link, I just feel that the governor thought this was going to be a good idea and the data, as far as infections, seem to be climbing in an alarming manner. There is not a consistent message from the powers that be, either.
I agree, it's not a consistent message. If we had good data, I think we'd have a much higher chance of various leaders providing consistent messages. But, we've got a big problem, IMO, if we are just tossing something as invasive as 8 hours of a young child wearing a mask 5 days a week - over an unsubstantiated guess that might be worthless.

he is a surgeon that removes tumors...it is an admirable job, but he clearly would not have knowledge of how viruses operate...bacteria, yes...because he has experience in gastroenterology...but not in virology.
Great, maybe you are someone who can provide a link to the effectiveness of masks for school children - from virologists.

Great, maybe you are someone who can provide a link to the effectiveness of masks for school children - from virologists.
your request

you have links to good data showing there is an advantage to school children being masked? I'd love to see this published data from a doctor you think "knows". Or, is your post simply snarky source bashing.
Clearly, you think DeSantis is wrong in not allowing schools to mandate masks (instead letting parents choose for their own child). Why is he wrong? Based on what data? If a CDC recommendation - what is their recommendation based upon
I have no intention of doing your homework for you. You have shown over and over again that you simply discount anything unless Fox promotes it. Providing data for youu, as I have done many times about pediatric Covid and the value of pediatric vaccines, is a waste of my time. For my part I'll go with Pediatric associations and the virology experts both in the US and in Canada...you go with Fox.

We will see what happens once schools open in Florida.....

He also said this:

In the February 19, 2021, print edition of The Wall Street Journal, Makary predicted that the United States would achieve herd immunity for COVID-19 around April 2021.[7] In a followup opinion piece in the March 24, 2021, The Wall Street Journal, Makary criticized Anthony Fauci, the director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), for underestimating the level of herd immunity in the United States, arguing that "herd immunity is likely close at hand."[8]

I agree, it's not a consistent message. If we had good data, I think we'd have a much higher chance of various leaders providing consistent messages. But, we've got a big problem, IMO, if we are just tossing something as invasive as 8 hours of a young child wearing a mask 5 days a week - over an unsubstantiated guess that might be worthless.
Your quest for "good data" may be in the works if Florida would like to take the role of the participant given a placebo.

The virus is spread when an infected person exhales small droplets and particles that contain the virus. And another human can become exposed by breathing in the air with these droplets or handling objects with these droplets and touching one's eyes, nose, or mouth.

If one can avoid contacting these droplets by social distancing, masks, or handwashing the rate of infected people would drop sharply.
I notice no one is clamoring for research on the effectiveness of hand washing.

We do know thing for certain the rate of people infected with influenza sure took a dive.

I have no intention of doing your homework for you. You have shown over and over again that you simply discount anything unless Fox promotes it. Providing data for youu, as I have done many times about pediatric Covid and the value of pediatric vaccines, is a waste of my time. For my part I'll go with Pediatric associations and the virology experts both in the US and in Canada...you go with Fox.

We will see what happens once schools open in Florida.....
Dr. Makary thinks we'll see a peak in delta cases in approximately 3 weeks (early Sept.), then a fairly rapid and noticeable decline after that into October - across the nation. I will be watching to see if true - where children are masked and where they aren't.
By the way, you are the one completely obsessed with Fox. It appears to be quite difficult for you to even write a comment without mentioning Fox or Tucker. Maybe that's because your dwindling news source (CNN) is obsessed with Fox and so jealous of their ratings.

Dr. Makary thinks we'll see a peak in delta cases in approximately 3 weeks (early Sept.), then a fairly rapid and noticeable decline after that into October
So do I and so do many real experts but of course the hopitizations and deaths follow the decrease in cases. I think Fall bodes better but not until there is one hell of a lot more suffering.

Dr. Makary thinks we'll see a peak in delta cases in approximately 3 weeks (early Sept.), then a fairly rapid and noticeable decline after that into October - across the nation. I will be watching to see if true - where children are masked and where they aren't.
By the way, you are the one completely obsessed with Fox. It appears to be quite difficult for you to even write a comment without mentioning Fox or Tucker. Maybe that's because your dwindling news source (CNN) is obsessed with Fox and so jealous of their ratings.
Dr. Malarky is out of his lane.

My opinion of Fox comes from watching it intermittently. MCAllen Republican Mayor seems to like Fox too. It only takes a bit of watching to see who has stirred the pot.

You are damn right I am obsessed with Fox and the damage they do every day by promoting their untruths and causing such divisvness. However, I don't think I would be pointing to the obsession of Fox by another poster when you quote their " experts" in post after post after post......most of which are easily debunked or shown to be misleading.....not that seen to register.

almost all of them are fitted with electronic ankle monitoring until they go to their first court date. Asylum officers meet with you monthly...its not as easy to abscond as you seem to think. It took my husband from 2014 until now..he is still going through the process and still meets montly with an asylum officer
You're dreaming or delirious if you think things today are like they were in 2014. The sheer volume of illegal entries can't be processed the way you think they are.

Oh, from a practical standpoint it wouldn't, simply because the vast majority of Floridians don't go on cruises.

Well, let me clarify: Floridians go on those three day, Bahama ghetto cruises, but those are on ships which only sail to and from Florida (be it Miami, Tampa or Cape Canaveral), so they're likely to adhere to whatever mandates and directives are put in place by the state of Florida, just so they can keep operating. If the state says a cruise line can't demand proof of vaccination, they'll play ball and not require it. The end result is that Floridians will still be able to go on those three day Bahama ghetto cruises unabated.

The larger cruise lines may have their vaccine requirements, but the state can simply refuse them service and, in the long run, it won't have any real measurable impact on Floridians.

It would also send the message that, if you want to do business in Florida, you'll do so only if you follow Florida's rules...
It would impact Florida's hospitality industry. Not everyone jumps off the plane and hops directly onto their cruise ship. Connections don't work that way. While they wait they'll have dinner at a restaurant, maybe stay a night in a hotel. Same when the ship comes back into port after the cruise.

Great news Norwegian cruise lines won their suit against DeSantis. They can demand their guests be vaccinated!

Back
Top Bottom