• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Got a Pre-exsisting Condition Your Premium Could Rise Sharply Under the New GOP Plan

minnie616

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
From a Consumers Report article:
As House Republicans frantically seek support for legislation to replace the Affordable Care Act, the biggest sticking point is whether the bill fulfills one of the GOP’s central pledges: preserving protections for people with pre-existing health problems.

More than a quarter of adult Americans under 65 have a pre-existing health issue, which includes everything from asthma and diabetes to heart disease and cancer, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. Under current law, insurers cannot deny those or other sick people coverage or charge them more than healthy people. It's one of the ACA's most popular provisions.

President Donald Trump insists that the GOP’s American Health Care Act makes good on that pledge, and House Speaker Paul Ryan says on his website that “under no circumstance can people be denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition.”

But a recent amendment to the AHCA, authored by House Republican Tom MacArthur (shown above), from New Jersey, provides a loophole. It allows states to let insurers charge higher premiums to sicker people if their coverage has lapsed, and if the state has set up a so-called "high-risk pool," or special health insurance programs for sicker patients.

In a bid to garner more votes from moderate Republicans concerned about going back on their pledge to cover sick people, House Republicans said Wednesday they are discussing adding more funding for those high-risk pools.

But critics say that even with that extra cash those risk pools will be underfunded. And they point out that people with pre-existing conditions are especially likely to have gaps in insurance, because if they become too sick to work they may lose coverage through their employer,
says Sara Collins, vice president of health care coverage and access at the Commonwealth Fund, a nonpartisan foundation that supports independent research on health and social issues.

And while those people may technically still have access to insurance, in practice it may be out of their reach.
"If you can charge sick people whatever you want, that’s effectively denying people coverage,” says Linda Blumberg, a senior fellow in the Health Policy Center at the Urban Institute, a nonpartisan health policy research group.

Read more:

Pre-Existing Conditions & Health Insurance Premiums - Consumer Reports

How many people who voted for President Trump thought those persons who had pre excisting conditions were going to be able to keep affordable health care? Guess the House GOP thinks not.

Please write to your Senators and other senators if you reject this plan.

You or one of your loved ones who has a pre exsisting condition cannot afford to lose their coverage.

Last edited:
Re: Got a Pre-exsisting Condition Your Premium Could Rise Sharply Under the New GOP

Read more:

How many people who voted for President Trump thought those persons who had pre excisting conditions were going to be able to keep affordable health care? Guess the House GOP thinks not.

You or one of your loved ones who has a pre exsisting condition cannot afford to lose their coverage.

The irony of the AHCA, is it benefits young, healthy people who vote Democrat. And it disadvantages older people who have perhaps developed a condition, that vote Republican.

Re: Got a Pre-exsisting Condition Your Premium Could Rise Sharply Under the New GOP

Read more:

Minnie. They can afford to lose their coverage. I am assuming they saved that money under Obama's 8 years?

Health INSURANCE.

Is stupidity a pre-existing condition?

Seems so.

Read more:

This sounds like auto insurance. You're always a ding or a speeding ticket away from being dropped, so you pay the premiums but never make a claim. Anyone who already has a ticket or ding, well, you're screwed.

Atlas won't even be at your funeral to shrug. He shrugged once. That was enough.

Health INSURANCE.

Make a claim. Get dropped => high risk pool. So you try to pay out of pocket and loose your house. Or you make one claim, get dropped, and loose your house.

Cheers!

This sounds like auto insurance. You're always a ding or a speeding ticket away from being dropped, so you pay the premiums but never make a claim. Anyone who already has a ticket or ding, well, you're screwed.

Atlas won't even be at your funeral to shrug. He shrugged once. That was enough.

A even better example is life insurance. Companies have the right to deny you coverage if you are in bad health.

In general people needs to do a better job eating healthier and making better life choices. Save money for retirement and a lot of these people complaining wouldn't be in this mess asking for the government - which has a stellar record in managing a budget, bail them out.

I've never understood the push for demanding insurance coverage for pre-existing conditions.

The point of insurance is to cover a risk, not to pay out for a certainty.

Requiring shared coverage for pre-existing conditions means constant demands on the funds everyone else is contributing to. That means everyone else's insurance premiums have to increase to cover them.

That defeats the entire purpose of insurance, and turns it into almost an entitlement for the already ill.

I'm already pissed about the fact I have to have car insurance, having been accident free for more than 30 years...yet having to face constant semi-annual increases to cover other people who are accident-prone.

Now you want me to have required medical coverage, so that I can pay for everyone else who is already sick?

If I have to do that, then I want single-payer, so like Medicare and Medicaid the government can regulate how much the Medical Industry can charge for treatment and medications.

Last edited:

The irony of the AHCA, is it benefits young, healthy people who vote Democrat. And it disadvantages older people who have perhaps developed a condition, that vote Republican.

An extraordinary narrative is that a person's health has become a referendum on that person's character.

To whit: "Why should I have to pay for that person's healthcare because she (probably) drank herself silly, had sex with twenty strangers a night without protection and smoked like a chimney?"

Which forgets that all human beings, regardless of lifestyle, age and break down. So if you consider a person's inevitable deteriorating health a sign of poor character, then all humans are amoral for aging.

A even better example is life insurance. Companies have the right to deny you coverage if you are in bad health.

In general people needs to do a better job eating healthier and making better life choices. Save money for retirement and a lot of these people complaining wouldn't be in this mess asking for the government - which has a stellar record in managing a budget, bail them out.

Bucky: you are channeling your best GOP Rep. Mo Brooks

I've never understood the idea behind demanding insurance for pre-existing conditions.

The point of insurance is to cover a risk, not a pay out for certainty.

Requiring shared coverage for pre-existing conditions means constant demands on the funds everyone else is contributing to. That means everyone else's insurance premiums have to increase to cover them.

That defeats the entire purpose of insurance, and turns it into almost an entitlement for the already ill.

I'm already pissed about the fact I have to have car insurance, have been accident free for more than 30 years...yet have to face semi-annual increases to cover other people who are accident-prone.

Just out of curiosity, let's say you have to get different insurance because you were dropped or had to move. And you will eventually have a pre-existing condition given enough time because you're human. How do you treat it?

I've never understood the push for demanding insurance coverage for pre-existing conditions.

The point of insurance is to cover a risk, not to pay out for a certainty.

I'm already pissed about the fact I have to have car insurance, have been accident free for more than 30 years...yet have to face semi-annual increases to cover other people who are accident-prone.

Sounds like your GOP left needs to be changed to GOP right, Captain Adverse .

That isn't the irony. It is the design.

Too bad those young, healthy people you referred to aren't voting in the same % as older sicker voters who vote GOP .

Read more:

Lol... I thought the House bill abandoned people with pre-existing conditions outright

So there's not enough money in the risk pools for people with pre-existing conditions who are too sick to work ?

Wouldnt those people then qualify for Medicaid ?

Honestly, this outrage seems a bit contrived if you ask me.
The House bill set up risk pools for people with pre-existing conditions, and now are even considering adding even more funding to them.

This justifies continuing on with the disaster that is ObamaCare ?
Currently 1/3 of US Counties have 1 insurer to buy plans from, co-ops have failed, state exchanges have failed, insurance companies have dropped out of exchanes, HUNDREDS of millions of dollars have been wasted building websites that never worked and out of pocket expenses and premiums have skyrocketed for hard working Middle class Americans.

The Dems are going to have to come up with something better than this because this just sounds like more sour grapes.

Minnie. They can afford to lose their coverage. I am assuming they saved that money under Obama's 8 years?

Bucky: why the need for you and so many other red/GOP conservatives to call out posters by name when quoting them?

Who are you to say any American can afford to lose their coverage, especially the trump voters who loved their ACA but hated OBAMAcare ?

Is stupidity a pre-existing condition?

Definitely; there were a lot of Hillary voters.

stupidity & paranoia are typically the pre-existing conditions of the greater majority of Republicans ......................

hopefully the only coverage they receive for these issues is from their God, Satan ...............

Too bad those young, healthy people you referred to aren't voting in the same % as older sicker voters who vote GOP .

I get the feeling the midterms are going to be a bloodbath for GOPs.

That isn't the irony. It is the design.

Bloody ****, that's so true.

An extraordinary narrative is that a person's health has become a referendum on that person's character.

To whit: "Why should I have to pay for that person's healthcare because she (probably) drank herself silly, had sex with twenty strangers a night without protection and smoked like a chimney?"

Which forgets that all human beings, regardless of lifestyle, age and break down. So if you consider a person's inevitable deteriorating health a sign of poor character, then all humans are amoral for aging.

But we already have a program funded via taxes to insure older Americans who have age related health issues have access to health insurance.

Its called Medicaid, been around since the 70s. If you look on your paycheck stub you'll notice youre being taxed for it, and it may even say " medicare " next to the amount

But we already have a program funded via taxes to insure older Americans who have age related health issues have access to health insurance.

Its called Medicaid, been around since the 70s. If you look on your paycheck stub you'll notice youre being taxed for it, and it may even say " medicare " next to the amount

Medicaid is getting gutted.

I get the feeling the midterms are going to be a bloodbath for GOPs.

Never take the GOPs for granted. They're already opening field offices in dozens of districts with at-risk house members.

There's a reason why citizens divided is so important to them, with billions of dark money to attack DEM opponents.

The best part right now is how much they're spending, tens of millions, on four 'safe' GOP districts vacated by congressmen going into the trump admin .

Just out of curiosity, let's say you have to get different insurance because you were dropped or had to move. And you will eventually have a pre-existing condition given enough time because you're human. How do you treat it?

Not necessarilly. Lots of people live relatively healthy lives right up until the body finally goes kaput due to old age.

Meanwhile, instead of addressing real cures for aging, what does our pharmaceutical industry focus on?

Why, "maintenance" drugs! :thumbs:

They learned a long time ago, from the Smallpox vaccine no less, that there is no profit in cure...only in constant treatment.

Thus we have our senior citizens surviving on cabinets full of expensive drugs to treat their ills, while further debilitating them via side-effects of constant and/or combined uses.

So to answer your final question? I'll live, and deal with life's problems as best I can as they arise...and eventually die. :shrug:

Sounds like your GOP left needs to be changed to GOP right, Captain Adverse .

I am not a member of the GOP. Don't confuse Libertarian with Republican. :roll:

Now as any honest member of the Libertarian wing will admit, there are different levels, from those like myself who want government limited to those areas government is necessary (like justice, defense, and in my view education and health) to those who are actually closet Anarchists.

I add education and health because a healthy and educated citizen is better able to inform and defend himself from tyranny.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom