• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP's Chronic negativity is why America rejects the party- Newt Gingrich

Negativity is not reality it is a style and reflects someones attitude towards life. You can disagree, even vehemently, but still have a constructive debate the edges you towards compromise and solutions. This is what the two party system was originally intended to do.

Then the question is why do liberals feel that compromise is just getting less of what they want? Why do they never give anything up in return for a nice new shiny welfare program? Still, I don't see anything liberals want done that I personally want any part of. I have no interest in compromising towards anything they offer.

Then the question is why do liberals feel that compromise is just getting less of what they want? Why do they never give anything up in return for a nice new shiny welfare program? Still, I don't see anything liberals want done that I personally want any part of. I have no interest in compromising towards anything they offer.

Were you trying to be funny?

wanna know where pork is......check the military.

Republicans wanting that gravy train ....want to claim this is the only efficient form of government.
We're fighting a handful of men running around in slippers ...with no real weaponry...no boats, ships, planes or tanks...and after 20 years we can't win????:(

How many $100/hr contractor does the military pay for every grunt actually doing the fighting?
Was some under-qualified idiot like Ed Snowden ....something we just couldn't live without?

The only reason the military looks tough is because America ...carefully picks it's fights...and they always find this huge mis-match to go against.

wanna know where pork is......check the military.

Republicans wanting that gravy train ....want to claim this is the only efficient form of government.
We're fighting a handful of men running around in slippers ...with no real weaponry...no boats, ships, planes or tanks...and after 20 years we can't win????:(

How many $100/hr contractor does the military pay for every grunt actually doing the fighting?
Was some under-qualified idiot like Ed Snowden ....something we just couldn't live without?

The only reason the military looks tough is because America ...carefully picks it's fights...and they always find this huge mis-match to go against.

The military looks tough because we pay contractors like Lockhead Martin billions of dollars to develop cool equipment. The wars in the Middle East have been the first time in a LONG time where it seemed like we were an era ahead if we were playing a game of Civ.

I would also say that we have "won", but the reason we are still fighting a war is because the contractors want us there. More war means more tanks, planes, rifles, etc... More of those things means more profit. Yay military-industrial complex!

Last edited:
The military looks tough because we pay contractors like Lockhead Martin billions of dollars to develop cool equipment. The wars in the Middle East have been the first time in a LONG time where it seemed like we were an era ahead if we were playing a game of Civ.

I would also say that we have one, but the reason we are still fighting a war is because the contractors want us there.

Like I said ...America's.."tough-ness"...is demonstrated going up against enemies who can barely find food to eat...yet alone fight a war.
Get into a fight with anybody spending even 20% of what we spend on our military....go take on a power-house like China ....and America better build some ...body-bag factory!!

What I think some people, many in fact, in the Center/Moderate group and on the Left need to understand is that you are never going to see a "positive" Governmental Program from those of us who call ourselves Conservatives. Our proposals move in one of two avenues, neither of which you folks consider to be "positive"...

1. Reduction of the Size/Scale/Influence of Government on Average Citizens and return this country to its Constitutional origins.
2. Imposition of Social/Societal Controls to repair the Moral Foundation of this nation.

Since you folks don't see either of those things as "positive" acts, you are never going to see a policy from real Conservatives that you consider to be "positive".

that's because you are not a true conservative....

Do you realize that your two points are in direct opposition of each other... 1.Less government...2. more imposition

that's because you are not a true conservative....

Do you realize that your two points are in direct opposition of each other... 1.Less government...2. more imposition

...ssshhh....shhh....don't you know not to get in the way of..."LOGIC".:lamo

No negativity from the left when Bush was pres, nope none whatsoever.:lol:

I see the sarcasm... because you are right. and that's why Bush had two terms and a republican congress for most of it.

George bush in his debate with John Kerry said it best " a litany of complaints is not leadership"...

too bad that we republicans forgot that.

Hmmm so as a self described libertarian... you don't want government out of peoples lives... i.e free to choose who they wish to marry and free to have an abortion if they need it?

How about the closing of Gitmo? Or getting rid of drone strikes, or not going to Iraq?

These are things that liberals have supported. As well as the Libertarian party.

I blame much of their problems and the party division on Glenn Beck and fox news. Beck was especially pushing the TP and Palin. I remember he looked into her eyes and with his chin shivering and though his tearful sobs, he said something like he thought she could save this country like George Washington did.

The negativity is, without a doubt, why I cannot stand the Republican party. I disagree with many of their positions, but the intense dislike I have of the party is the negativity. Because the negativity seems to breed ignorance and as long as you say something bad, it doesn't matter if it's factually correct or not. It's the dishonesty in negativity which bothers me the most about the Republican party.

I agree with many of the philosophical concepts of being conservative, but Republicans are not conservative. Right now, the Republican party is little more than a bunch of whiny, petulant children.
The GOP is going nowhere. Recent history has shown there will be times when one party has the advantage, but then will do something dumb and the other party will be dominant. Yes, the GOP politicians are collectively acting like a bunch of loons. But they are not going to fade into a minor party, they have way too much money and way too many people who support their gun-toting, bible thumping, blame the government for everything rhetoric.

You realize that you just criticized liberals for not compromising then said you would never compromise....right?

The difference between us is that they think they can fool people in believing that they are compromising by just getting less than what they want while I don't try to fool anyone and just say no outright.

The difference between us is that they think they are compromising by just getting less than what they want while I don't try to fool anyone and just say no outright.

So then who is the difficult one when it comes to working together?

So then is the difficult one when it comes to getting along?

I would rather be honest in my approach than be dishonest and try to trick people into thinking I'm working with the other side when I'm not.

I would rather be honest in my approach than be dishonest and try to trick people into thinking I'm working with the other side when I'm not.

I think that is just how you chose to see it. This is the problem with conservatives. You always seem to choose the most negative possible motivation for your opponents behavior. You want to be seen as noble and well intentioned but you seem to never have that confidence in anyone else.

How do you not start the blame with Rushbo, good or bad? Without him, MSLSD would have little to start their programs. I was hearing Limp over 3 decades ago after his
1st two bankrupcies. Boehner is scared to death of him. He is the titular head of the GOP. Just today, Politico has two articles on him moderating GOP primary debates.
I blame much of their problems and the party division on Glenn Beck and fox news. Beck was especially pushing the TP and Palin. I remember he looked into her eyes and with his chin shivering and though his tearful sobs, he said something like he thought she could save this country like George Washington did.

No, I have an IQ larger than my shoe size.
Well, asserting that certainly does not make it true…and even if it were, I do know they have some pretty small shoe sizes...so what you inform us is not really very descriptive... or is it? i would suggest you have a much too high estimation of your own IQ, too low of tea partiers. You give no basis for your assessment so it bears little reason to pay any attention to what amounts to unexamined, and certainly unproven or even attempted, ramblings.

I agree with the basic idea of keeping what works, while searching for a provably better solution. I believe in the idea we should not recklessly spend money where it's not needed. I believe in the idea of government interfering only when interference is necessary for the good of all.
Clap clap clap…I guess not too bad for surface level musings.

Those are conservative concepts, they are not Republican or Tea Party concepts. A true conservative would not pass Voter ID reform to solve a voter fraud problem which does not exist. A true conservative would not want to waste billions of dollars on an already bloated defense budget which is roughly equal to the rest of the world combined. A true conservative would not actively seek amendments to deny someone something based upon their race, religion or sexual preference.

If one wants integrity in the system, one logically puts into place and enforces policy meant to achieve that end. In this case to make voter fraud less and less possible. We have no real counts on just how often it happens, how many people get away with it, but we do know it happens. What is your reasoning of not having assured integrity in the system? Do you leave your doors open and unlocked as, if you rely on the laws of average, most houses and cars are not broken into? Or do you do the smart thing, make efforts not to make your place or auto an attractive nuisance?

I think closely aligned with an educated electorate, the founders/framers, to which conservatives harken back to, would endorse a system of eliminating most chances of fraud. I think it is generally attributed to Ben Franklin to have said, “ An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. “ Besides, it is up to the states, another thing with which the founders would agree. They sure would not be scared silly like the liberals and perhaps you are about it...what is your beef? Think voter fraud will never and has never occurred before?

As regards the bogus belief that true conservatives would advocate for something like SSM whereas is rather ludicrous. Now, sexual preference is up to you, no true conservative denies that, it would be pointless. Most the founders did, however, believe in virtue and looked to faith in a higher being for proper guidance. The allowance to allow anybody to do anything they want, including that which is abnormal and unnatural, well, I rather know the founders would align with the true conservatives on this one as well.

So its seems you really have little knowledge of what you are attempting to promulgate here.

Your economic and fiscal sense fails you as well. Billions in defense, like most other forms of prevention, are much less expensive than actual war. Your assumed economy would cost us more than just money, but far more misery, death and destruction. No doubt the peace dividend is a platitude that sounds good, rings well in the surface of the mind, but deeper thought will disabuse most… and actual experience will prove it.

Your pronouncements ring so hollow, as if we did not have history to instruct us in the better ways. Ask Santayana.

I'm not a true conservative, but in many ways, I'm closer than the Republican party or the Tea party.
Again, asserted yet unproven.

You would have to ask a Democrat, I am not a Democrat. I do find them to be the more rational of the two parties at the moment, though I fully realize that could just very well be because they have more power right now and don't have to act crazy to change the balance of power.
No bearing with which to gain much insight there, have not a clue to these baseless prosaicisms you keep uttering as if they were the law.

Yes, one most certainly can rationally deny that, especially since that comment is utterly ridiculous on so many levels.
Again, nothing but unsupported noise and unsubstantiated exclamations, no substance.

You just posted all that, and you accuse others of being low information voters and being scared by media. I find that incredibly amusing.
Sounds like you might be too easily amused. Jon Stewart your kinda guy, not really serious but kinda funny.

Well, asserting that certainly does not make it true…and even if it were, I do know they have some pretty small shoe sizes...so what you inform us is not really very descriptive... or is it?
It's incredibly descriptive, to anyone who reads the quote honestly.

It's really simple. I have an IQ larger than my shoe size. It could be two points higher, it could be 120 points higher, but the fact it IS higher is enough proof I don't belong to the Tea Party. I cannot believe I had to explain that to you.

Clap clap clap…I guess not too bad for surface level musings.
I wasn't sure you'd be able to follow me if I went much deeper.

If one wants integrity in the system, one logically puts into place and enforces policy meant to achieve that end. In this case to make voter fraud less and less possible.
How do you get "less possible" than zero, which is what they had in Pennsylvania?

That's not integrity, that's dishonesty. The entire point was to increase government intervention into the process, for the purpose of making it more difficult for those who were more likely to vote Democrat. That's not conservative, that's dishonest.

We have no real counts on just how often it happens, how many people get away with it, but we do know it happens.
So you want the government to spend taxpayer money which makes it difficult for citizens to exercise their right to vote in order to solve a problem you cannot define or even prove exists.

You must be Republican, because you sure don't seem conservative in this case.

I think closely aligned with an educated electorate, the founders/framers, to which conservatives harken back to
Which is incredibly amusing considering how progressive the founders/framers were.

would endorse a system of eliminating most chances of fraud.
You think? I think they'd be far more concerned with Republicans actively trying to suppress representation of the electorate in the government. It seems to me they went to war, in large part, over that very ideal.

Again, you must be Republican, because you don't seem to know much about our founders either.

Besides, it is up to the states, another thing with which the founders would agree. They sure would not be scared silly like the liberals and perhaps you are about it...what is your beef? Think voter fraud will never and has never occurred before?
I'm more concerned about voter suppression, especially considering your evidence of voter fraud is "well, I can't prove it happens on anything but the rarest of occasions, but I KNOW it exists".

Again, a true conservative would not jump to ridiculous legislation to solve a problem which doesn't really exist. The fact you're defending these acts suggest to me, again, you are Republican, because you sure don't seem very conservative.

As regards the bogus belief that true conservatives would advocate for something like SSM whereas is rather ludicrous.
No, no it isn't. A true conservative would not advocate for government interference into a person's private life, as long as that private life does not negatively affect anyone else. You must be Republican, because you don't seem like a conservative on this issue either.

Now, sexual preference is up to you, no true conservative denies that, it would be pointless. Most the founders did, however, believe in virtue and looked to faith in a higher being for proper guidance.
I cannot speak on "most" of the founders, but three of the most influential of the time, Franklin, Jefferson and Paine were deists.

well, I rather know the founders would align with the true conservatives on this one as well.
On this we absolutely agree. That's why they wrote the 1st Amendment, which forbids Congress from passing a law establishing a religion. In other words, believe what you want but don't force your religious beliefs on every one else.

Once again, you must be Republican, because you sure aren't conservative on this issue.

So its seems you really have little knowledge of what you are attempting to promulgate here.
I believe this is what is commonly known as irony.

Your economic and fiscal sense fails you as well. Billions in defense, like most other forms of prevention, are much less expensive than actual war.
Again...we spend roughly the same amount as the rest of the world combined. There was the well publicized story about Congress purchasing tanks the army didn't even want a few months ago. We spend far more than we need to on defense, especially considering the changing nature of warfare as technology continues to evolve. Furthermore, the idea that less military spending equals more war is not only ridiculous, it is simply laughable. And that's before you even consider the "need" for our military to go to war in order to justify our ridiculous amounts of spending.

You must be Republican, because a true conservative would not insist on spending billions of dollars which aren't even wanted and we don't have in the first place.

Again, asserted yet unproven.
Not at all. It's not my fault you've been blinded to what a conservative would actually believe. You're a Republican, not a conservative, at least from what I can tell in this post. You actively support government spending and intervention in a problem you cannot define or prove which attempts to deny people their right to vote, you oppose the idea of government staying out of the private lives of its citizens and you support wasteful spending of billions of dollars on military spending which is not necessary or even desired.

Just from what I know about you in this thread, you're a Republican. And it seems I'm much closer to being conservative than you are. I wouldn't label myself a true conservative, but it sure does seem I'm closer than you or the Republican party.

No bearing with which to gain much insight there, have not a clue to these baseless prosaicisms you keep uttering as if they were the law.
It's not baseless at all. Republicans go around shouting the sky is falling the moment an acorn falls from a tree. They lie, their presidential candidate claimed nearly half of this country (the half who wouldn't vote for him) don't take responsibility for themselves and they deliberately misquote the President on a regular basis.

Again, that's not to say Democrats don't and won't, they just don't have to nearly as often right now because they have the majority of the power.

Again, nothing but unsupported noise and unsubstantiated exclamations, no substance.
It was utterly ridiculous, on so many levels. But I wouldn't expect you to agree because I think it's pretty clear right now you are a Republican.

Sounds like you might be too easily amused.
Ironical comments which speak to intelligence amuse me greatly. People who make ridiculous claims while criticizing others for their intelligence and/or knowledge is quite funny.

Last edited:
How do you not start the blame with Rushbo, good or bad? Without him, MSLSD would have little to start their programs. I was hearing Limp over 3 decades ago after his
1st two bankrupcies. Boehner is scared to death of him. He is the titular head of the GOP. Just today, Politico has two articles on him moderating GOP primary debates.

This is what I think many political analysts are missing. The rightwing noise machine now runs the GOP. It was created by Rove who invited the knownothing tea party and fundies into the party, and hooked their xenophobic concerns up with the billionaire rightwing think tanks, all to win an election or two. But like a Frankenstein monster the rightwing noise machine is now killing its maker. It can't be shut off. It has to take more and more extreme and lunatic positions and any Republican that even questions it is mercilessly attacked and beaten into submission. Witness the Limbaugh "slut" incident, where GOP leaders we're forced to withdraw criticism of his freakish rhetoric.

So there will never be any moderate Republican wing of the GOP any more. It will become more and more weird as the rightwing noise machine produces stranger and more delusional rightwing rhetoric and narratives.

I in fact think that will doom the GOP. Rove thinks the same, which is why he spends most of his time now criticizing the tea party weirdos like Palin. There isn't much Rove and I agree on, so something's happening here.

I used to be one of those moderate Repubs here in the Land of Lincoln, but couldn't vote for Nixon. Our Sen. Percy used to thrash Nixon. Our national Repubs have a pretty good reputation, like Sen. Dirksen. Locally, we're hurtin.
This is what I think many political analysts are missing. The rightwing noise machine now runs the GOP. It was created by Rove who invited the knownothing tea party and fundies into the party, and hooked their xenophobic concerns up with the billionaire rightwing think tanks, all to win an election or two. But like a Frankenstein monster the rightwing noise machine is now killing its maker. It can't be shut off. It has to take more and more extreme and lunatic positions and any Republican that even questions it is mercilessly attacked and beaten into submission. Witness the Limbaugh "slut" incident, where GOP leaders we're forced to withdraw criticism of his freakish rhetoric.

So there will never be any moderate Republican wing of the GOP any more. It will become more and more weird as the rightwing noise machine produces stranger and more delusional rightwing rhetoric and narratives.

I in fact think that will doom the GOP. Rove thinks the same, which is why he spends most of his time now criticizing the tea party weirdos like Palin. There isn't much Rove and I agree on, so something's happening here.

Honest being the operative word here. The problem is that business has to be kept on a leash by government or the consumer gets screwed. I see insurance companies as foxes guarding the hen house and think they are the main culprit in our broken system. They do not belong in the picture. They do all they can to weasel out of paying claims and actually providing the service we pay them too. Derail, I know.

You are correct. As long as the insurance companies are guaranteed their 15% to 20% take, as allowed by PPACA, they are happy to skim off their "fair share" in the process.

You are correct. As long as the insurance companies are guaranteed their 15% to 20% take, as allowed by PPACA, they are happy to skim off their "fair share" in the process.

I have people I know in the industry. They told me stories about waiting out the life expectancy of clients so they didn't have to pay. It's horrific.

Back
Top Bottom