• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

(W:#933)God and Science

No, values like "don't kill members of your tribe" existed before we even really had sentience, much less religion. They are evolutionary values.

So, you have it backwards. We grafted various spirits, totems, and deities onto these values to give them more weight.

You may be right. But I still believe that superstition developed alongside of modern human principles.

You may be right. But I still believe that superstition developed alongside of modern human principles.

Yeah, I think we have a built-in need to explain things, to understand them. And when we don't have the information or tools to understand something, we invent the explanation. That's why we believed in the wrath of spirits and deities to explain storms at sea or a plague or a man struck by lightning. Now we understand the disease, so we stop attributing it to the supernatural. We understand the weather, it's no longer the realm of the gods.

There is simply no doubt that is true. Due to superstion, humans developed gods to overlay onto the ethical principles that they had developed and this eventually came to be known as "religion".

What if doing so would forfeit your place in eternity?

So no there are conditions that you didn't start with. Since there is no way to be sure that one is eternal, it doesn't matter. It all would feel exactly the same.

Do you believe if there's a God that this supreme being is the author of all science? It would seem that the supreme intelligence would still have to do the work for things to make sense to him and everyone else.
I think of it like this:

Amazing breakthroughs have come from scientific studies- no one can deny that. Where would we be without electricity? Antibiotics?

But my problem with science is that it has turned into a kind of "solid proof" that people hide behind in our world today. Which, I believe, is not just. I define science as: humans trying to understand and give names to God's creation. He is the almighty ruler of this land. We were created to maintain and work the land. In return for our lives and our earth, we've given our Lord a front row seat to the destruction of His land, His animals, and His people.

I think of it like this:

Amazing breakthroughs have come from scientific studies- no one can deny that. Where would we be without electricity? Antibiotics?

But my problem with science is that it has turned into a kind of "solid proof" that people hide behind in our world today. Which, I believe, is not just. I define science as: humans trying to understand and give names to God's creation. He is the almighty ruler of this land. We were created to maintain and work the land. In return for our lives and our earth, we've given our Lord a front row seat to the destruction of His land, His animals, and His people.

I agree that science is humanity's way of discovering God's methods of creating. And that many find it the only source of knowledge and information, sort of a replacement for belief. I think our purpose here is to become mature individuals suitable for an eternal home as God's people and companions.

I agree that science is humanity's way of discovering God's methods of creating. And that many find it the only source of knowledge and information, sort of a replacement for belief. I think our purpose here is to become mature individuals suitable for an eternal home as God's people and companions.

Myth.

Do you believe if there's a God that this supreme being is the author of all science? It would seem that the supreme intelligence would still have to do the work for things to make sense to him and everyone else.
Science is not religion or religious dogma.
If science changes its view on something, it doesn't mean science lied to you, it means science learned something new.
Science is not "truth", it is the search FOR truth.
There is no "Moses of Science" descending from the mountaintop with God's Laws of Science carved into stone tablets.

I think God gave us the ability and skill to be able to invent and problem solve and research. He knows what we are capable of, and created us this way for a reason.

But to answer your question... Science is mostly human brains trying to understand and explain God's miracles.

"Lean not unto thine own understanding” Proverbs 3:5

I think God gave us the ability and skill to be able to invent and problem solve and research. He knows what we are capable of, and created us this way for a reason.

But to answer your question... Science is mostly human brains trying to understand and explain God's miracles.

"Lean not unto thine own understanding” Proverbs 3:5

“God” is extraneous. Science is in the business of explaining the natural, and “God” has nothing at all to do with that.

Science is not religion or religious dogma.
If science changes its view on something, it doesn't mean science lied to you, it means science learned something new.
Science is not "truth", it is the search FOR truth.
There is no "Moses of Science" descending from the mountaintop with God's Laws of Science carved into stone tablets.
I don't see how this is a question!!!

Regardless of your beliefs, you cannot argue the fact that the Bible has predicted many science phenomenons thousands of years before they were "discovered" by man. I agree science is a search for truth. But I also believe the Bible is something every scientist should read at least once. Throughout history, the Bible has aided in life changing scientific discoveries and advancements. (And I wish they taught us this in any science class! Because it is absolutely incredible once you start learning about it!)

Let's look at some scientists that used the Bible to aid their research:

Isaac Newton 1643-1727
  • Generalized the binomial theorem
  • Built the world’s first working reflecting telescope
  • Discovered/invented calculus, the mathematics of change, without which we could not understand the behavior of objects as tiny as electrons or as large as galaxies.
  • Wrote the Principia, one of the most important scientific books ever written; in it he used mathematics to explain gravity and motion. (Principia is pronounced with a hard c.)
  • Discovered the law of universal gravitation, proving that the force holding the moon in orbit around the earth is the same force that causes an apple to fall from a tree.
  • Formulated his three laws of motion – Newton’s Laws – which lie at the heart of the science of movement
  • His scientific work had revealed a universe that obeyed logical mathematical laws. He had also discovered that starlight and sunlight are the same, and he speculated that stars could have their own systems of planets orbiting them.
  • He believed such a system could only have been made by God.
  • He is known to have spent more time on Bible study than math and physics.

Robert Boyle 1627-1691
  • He defined elements, compounds, and mixtures, and he coined the new term ‘chemical analysis,’ a field in which he made several powerful contributions.
  • He discovered Boyle’s Law – the first of the gas laws – relating the pressure of a gas to its volume; he established that electrical forces are transmitted through a vacuum, but sound is not; and he also stated that the movement of particles is responsible for heat. He was the first person to write specific experimental guidance for other scientists, telling them the importance of achieving reliable, repeatable results.
  • In 1675 Boyle discovered that electric attraction operates in a vacuum.
  • "A deeper understanding of science is a higher glorification of God." -Robert Boyle

...and tons more in the article I linked below!

And God actually speaks about "research" in the Bible. He gave us the ability to figure out his amazing creations.

"Since wisdom requires knowledge, we must seek knowledge with extreme diligence and hard work, as a miner digs for hidden treasure." -Proverbs 2:2-5

"And I set my mind to seek and explore by wisdom concerning all that has been done under heaven. It is a grievous task which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with. I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted." -Ecclesiastes 1:13-17

Articles:
Great Scientists that were Committed Christians
Parts of the Bible science has confirmed to be true

Regardless of your beliefs, you cannot argue the fact that the Bible has predicted many science phenomenons thousands of years before they were "discovered" by man. I agree science is a search for truth. But I also believe the Bible is something every scientist should read at least once. Throughout history, the Bible has aided in life changing scientific discoveries and advancements. (And I wish they taught us this in any science class! Because it is absolutely incredible once you start learning about it!)

Isaac Newton 1643-1727
  • Discovered/invented calculus, the mathematics of change, without which we could not understand the behavior of objects as tiny as electrons or as large as galaxies.
  • Wrote the Principia, one of the most important scientific books ever written; in it he used mathematics to explain gravity and motion. (Principia is pronounced with a hard c.)
  • Discovered the law of universal gravitation, proving that the force holding the moon in orbit around the earth is the same force that causes an apple to fall from a tree.
  • Formulated his three laws of motion – Newton’s Laws – which lie at the heart of the science of movement
  • His scientific work had revealed a universe that obeyed logical mathematical laws. He had also discovered that starlight and sunlight are the same, and he speculated that stars could have their own systems of planets orbiting them.

Robert Boyle 1627-1691
  • He defined elements, compounds, and mixtures, and he coined the new term ‘chemical analysis,’ a field in which he made several powerful contributions.
  • He discovered Boyle’s Law – the first of the gas laws – relating the pressure of a gas to its volume; he established that electrical forces are transmitted through a vacuum, but sound is not; and he also stated that the movement of particles is responsible for heat. He was the first person to write specific experimental guidance for other scientists, telling them the importance of achieving reliable, repeatable results.
  • "A deeper understanding of science is a higher glorification of God." -Robert Boyle

And God actually speaks about "research" in the Bible. He gave us the ability to figure out his amazing creations.

"Since wisdom requires knowledge, we must seek knowledge with extreme diligence and hard work, as a miner digs for hidden treasure." -Proverbs 2:2-5

"And I set my mind to seek and explore by wisdom concerning all that has been done under heaven. It is a grievous task which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with. I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted." -Ecclesiastes 1:13-17

Articles:

You're not following the meaning of what I said.
I am pointing out the difference between science and religion.
And to reiterate, one must not view, treat or react to science the way one does with dogma, because again, science isn't dogma.

Isaac Newton 1643-1727

Robert Boyle 1627-1691

Articles:

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every so often. In other words, the Bible is about as far from a scientific document that you can get. If it happens to include some “good” science, that is purely by chance. It is absolutely full of mistakes regarding science and is based mostly in myth and not in science.

No intelligence needed. It is what it is.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every so often. In other words, the Bible is about as far from a scientific document that you can get. If it happens to include some “good” science, that is purely by chance. It is absolutely full of mistakes regarding science and is based mostly in myth and not in science.
So... let me get this straight. You think nothing created everything, then that nothing created science and science discovered itself?

So... let me get this straight. You think nothing created everything, then that nothing created science and science discovered itself?

Science did not “discover itself”, nor did anyone “discover” it. Humans have always had a curiosity about the natural world, and eventually that curiosity was channeled into a formal manner of “discovery” called science. In other words, it evolved into a formal entity based on simple human curiosity over the ages. Science was not somehow just sitting there waiting to be “discovered”.
And your “nothing” bit has a huge hole in it because evidently you believe that your “God” came from nothing, so what’s the difference?

I think of it like this:

Cool story

A real shame, tho, that you have no evidence to prove any of it...

We don't really know what the very start of everything was. So think anything created anything, we just don't have a strong understanding of the origin of matter yet so making a strong statement about it would be silly.

I mean, if you believe that some being had to exist to create the universe, who's to say that they didn't just create the matter/laws of physics then just went off did something else? I don't think a belief in a supreme being necessitates that being creating science.

This ^ made me ROFL. :ROFLMAO: (y)
I mean, it's not any sillier than any other explanation. We don't really know either way so there isn't much sense in making strong statements about the origin of matter.

I mean, it's not any sillier than any other explanation. We don't really know either way so there isn't much sense in making strong statements about the origin of matter.

You can't get something from nothing, it doesn't make sense. And science is about making sense of everything.

Back
Top Bottom