• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GM is slashing 14,700 factory and white collar jobs in North America; may close five factories

GM to end production of Chevy Volt.

They are ending the production of most SEDANS altogether.
I assure you Voltec technology will live on in other more popular models, most likely small SUV type vehicles.
It is the Volt style CAR that is being sunsetted, because people are not interested in buying traditional sedan style CARS any longer.

Meanwhile Trump continues to recruit and hire foreign nationals to work at Mar-a-Lardo.

And to produce his stupid namesake trinkets overseas.

No refusing to accept data and facts is part of a cult following, that is reality. You actually believe what you are told that GM would fold? You are very naive and don't understand the private sector at all.

Given the fact that I'm too smart to have voted for Trump, and considering my level of position in a multi-national private sector company, I know more about the private sector than you do. And unlike you, I don't like to see hundreds of thousands of my fellow Americans lose their jobs. I'm not a hater.

Trump promised more American jobs in the auto manufacturing sector. He doesn't understand the private sector at all, apparently. I'm a poster on a message board. Your hero is running - and ruining - the country's economy. Cheered on by you, of course. Let me guess - you share his love for the Saudis and his hatred for American workers.

And to produce his stupid namesake trinkets overseas.

I bought you a new MAGA hat for Christmas. It's made in China but that's okay. Ivanka's slave labor helped manufacture it and there may be a naked picture or two in the rim.

From the WSJ it sounds like GM is making these moves now while times are good. Cutting products that aren't selling makes sense.

Despite two straight years of record operating profit and a historically strong run of U.S. vehicle sales, GM said it is seeking to tighten its belt while times are good. Ms. Barra said the company wants to be more efficient in its core business of engineering and building cars, while plowing more money into potential game-changing innovations like electric and self-driving cars.

“We don’t see anything specific on the horizon,” Ms. Barra said. “This about making sure GM is lean and agile to get in front and lead in autonomous and electric vehicles.”

GM to Idle Factories, Cut Thousands of North American Jobs https://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-say...alaried-workforce-in-north-america-1543246232

Woah!

I looked at that thing a couple of years ago when it was made available. Didn't like it. Too small for me.

Then you will be thrilled when the same technology makes its way under the hood of three or four other GM vehicles, most likely ones that are similar to the Equinox SUV instead. It would be nice to have a small sport utility that gets the equivalent of 60 or 70 miles per gallon with 40 or 50 miles of pure electric range.

It's also likely that we'll start seeing all electric EV options in those same small SUV's as well, probably with anywhere between 150 and 280 miles of range. The Chevy BOLT (GM's ultra compact pure EV) was the "mule" or test platform for their pure EV technology, and it's been successful.

Then you will be thrilled when the same technology makes its way under the hood of three or four other GM vehicles, most likely ones that are similar to the Equinox SUV instead. It would be nice to have a small sport utility that gets the equivalent of 60 or 70 miles per gallon with 40 or 50 miles of pure electric range.

It's also likely that we'll start seeing all electric EV options in those same small SUV's as well, probably with anywhere between 150 and 280 miles of range. The Chevy BOLT (GM's ultra compact pure EV) was the "mule" or test platform for their pure EV technology, and it's been successful.

I'm a Honda girl. Never wanted a GM in recent years. Just looked at the Volt because it was making so much news. It's also too small for me.

Because of CAFE it is basically impossible to build a sedan at a marketable
price point so Ford and Chrysler have stopped making them. GM will too. Thanks Obama!

It's not because of CAFE, it's because EV (pure electric) and hybrid electric have become fully viable, but Americans don't want sedans anymore. They want small SUV's and trucks. The few who DO want sedans want sports coupes.
I suspect GM will continue to make one flagship model for them...but only one, just as Ford is continuing to make ONE, the Mustang.

Yeah, I'm not a Trump supporter, not by a long shot. That doesn't change the fact that primary factor here is changing tastes, not tariffs or trade wars. Higher steel and aluminum prices didn't help, but it is not the key cause behind slow passenger car sales.

In comparison, soy farmers are seeing a much more direct impact of tariffs, as China shifts buying away from the US and to other soy export nations like Brazil.

I.e. believe it or not, the President is not to blame for every piece of economic bad news.

It then would have been prudent for the President to have known about the "changing tastes" back in March in order to warn his supporters rather than to promise them something that couldn't be achieved as well as lie to them about great things occurring. Maybe if he had cared about things other than himself, he could have worked out a real deal with GM and not a fake one he lied about.

It then would have been prudent for the President to have known about the "changing tastes" back in March in order to warn his supporters rather than to promise them something that couldn't be achieved as well as lie to them about great things occurring. Maybe if he had cared about things other than himself, he could have worked out a real deal with GM and not a fake one he lied about.

What's really pathetic is that the idiots in Michigan actually believed him when he kept promising to save and grow their jobs.

Given the fact that I'm too smart to have voted for Trump, and considering my level of position in a multi-national private sector company, I know more about the private sector than you do. And unlike you, I don't like to see hundreds of thousands of my fellow Americans lose their jobs. I'm not a hater.

Trump promised more American jobs in the auto manufacturing sector. He doesn't understand the private sector at all, apparently. I'm a poster on a message board. Your hero is running - and ruining - the country's economy. Cheered on by you, of course. Let me guess - you share his love for the Saudis and his hatred for American workers.

It does appear that you believe you are smarter than you truly are, the alternative was Hillary. I chose wisely and am getting the results I had hoped for. You on the other hand continue to buy rhetoric and ignore results. Trump promised jobs, 4.5 million of them have been created since January 2017, and over 1 million of those part time jobs Obama created are now working full time. We also have 3% ANNUAL GDP growth for the first time since 2005 so not sure what results you are looking at but those posted are verifiable at bea.gov and bls.gov. Apparently your idea of ruining the country is different from the results being generated.

I can't help but find it a little sad how much enjoyment people are taking in Trump's failure. 15,000 people are out of work in our country. 15,000 people will be having trouble giving their kids a Christmas and trying to keep their lives together.

Maybe instead of cheering that the president got one-upped, we give those families our sympathy and try to find productive things we might do to help them. We can always vote against Trump, but maybe we could look for any little thing we could do to help these poor folks in their time of need.

None of are cheering, you think this makes anyone on my side happy? It's more like, see, we told you how corrupt, stupid and out of his depth King Tangface is? A "we told you so"" moment. But no, you gotta make it "look at the evil librul bullies cheer" cuz you have you programmers and you drink your kook aid like Trump tells you to right?

You could try and learn from it, support someone better, or even human perhaps, but no, you won't, we know that. Frustrates us, so we come here to vent frustration so you can misread it and generate your faux outrage. Satisfied with it? Feel good to be so mad at total misunderstanding?

No, Obama DID NOT hand over a stable improving economy. The non-natural born Citizen was a economic failure proving that a minority should never be elected President.

Just when I think you can't post anything more bigoted and stupid you outdo yourself. :2rofll:

It does appear that you believe you are smarter than you truly are, the alternative was Hillary. I chose wisely and am getting the results I had hoped for. You on the other hand continue to buy rhetoric and ignore results. Trump promised jobs, 4.5 million of them have been created since January 2017, and over 1 million of those part time jobs Obama created are now working full time. We also have 3% ANNUAL GDP growth for the first time since 2005 so not sure what results you are looking at but those posted are verifiable at bea.gov and bls.gov. Apparently your idea of ruining the country is different from the results being generated.

Next time look at your ballot when you vote. I looked at mine. It had another name on it. Gary Johnson. And others I wouldn't vote for. I don't vote for frauds. I'm too smart to have voted for the fraud in the Oval Office today.

Trump promised auto making jobs in Michigan. If you had stopped being starry eyed at him and actually listened to his false promises, you would know that. But you don't pay attention.

The man is wrecking the country, and he's being enabled by anti-Americans who want companies like GM to go under.

Trump is a failure, and that's why he got crushed in the midterms. The people who foolishly supported him in 2016 are wising up to the embarrassment that he is. And most of them wouldn't admit to wanting to see GM fail. Like you did.

Here is what you want to ignore

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
Original Data Value

Series Id: LNS12000000
Seasonally Adjusted
Series title: (Seas) Employment Level
Labor force status: Employed
Type of data: Number in thousands
Years: 2008 to 2018

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2008 146378 146156 146086 146132 145908 145737 145532 145203 145076 144802 144100 143369
2009 142152 141640 140707 140656 140248 140009 139901 139492 138818 138432 138659 138013
2010 138438 138581 138751 139297 139241 139141 139179 139438 139396 139119 139044 139301
2011 139250 139394 139639 139586 139624 139384 139524 139942 140183 140368 140826 140902
2012 141584 141858 142036 141899 142206 142391 142292 142291 143044 143431 143333 143330
2013 143292 143362 143316 143635 143882 143999 144264 144326 144418 143537 144479 144778
2014 145122 145161 145673 145680 145825 146267 146401 146522 146752 147411 147391 147597
2015 148113 148100 148175 148505 148788 148806 148830 149136 148810 149254 149486 150135
2016 150576 151005 151229 150978 151048 151164 151484 151687 151815 151939 152126 152233
2017 152076 152511 153064 153161 152892 153250 153511 153471 154324 153846 153917 154021
2018 154430 155215 155178 155181 155474 155576 155965 155542 155962 156562

Looks to me like job creation so maybe you aren't as smart as you want to believe

Next time look at your ballot when you vote. I looked at mine. It had another name on it. Gary Johnson. And others I wouldn't vote for. I don't vote for frauds. I'm too smart to have voted for the fraud in the Oval Office today.

Trump promised auto making jobs in Michigan. If you had stopped being starry eyed at him and actually listened to his false promises, you would know that. But you don't pay attention.

The man is wrecking the country, and he's being enabled by anti-Americans who want companies like GM to go under.

Trump is a failure, and that's why he got crushed in the midterms. The people who foolishly supported him in 2016 are wising up to the embarrassment that he is. And most of them wouldn't admit to wanting to see GM fail. Like you did.

Yep, a true failure, 3% GDP annual growth for the first time since 2005, over 4 million jobs created, and people getting to keep more of what they earn. He was crushed at midterms? really who controls the Senate which is a state wide election not a local election easily manipulated by the people you now seem to support.

I am truly embarrassed for people like you who always buy rhetoric and ignore the true role of the federal govt. and the results generated

Oh, by the way not too smart to vote for someone who had zero chance to win so all you can is whine about it now. That isn't smart that is simply foolish

But....but.....but the tariffs were supposed to bring jobs back to America!

Nothing to do with the Tarriff's.. the hells man.

DETROIT — General Motors will cut up to 14,000 workers in North America and put five plants up for possible closure as it abandons many of its car models and restructures to cut costs and focus more on autonomous and electric vehicles.

The reduction includes about 8,000 white-collar employees, or 15 percent of GM's North American white-collar workforce. Some will take buyouts while others will be laid off.

At the factories, around 3,300 blue-collar workers could lose jobs in Canada and another 2,600 in the U.S., but some U.S. workers could transfer to truck or SUV factories that are increasing production.
GM to slash up to 14,000 jobs in North America - StarTribune.com

Making America Great Again!
#winning

Eh, that ****ing fat idiot in the White House will come out with some stupid Tweet soon, blaming this on everyone under the sun, except himself. And his Fan Nation will line up like good foot soldiers and repeat his bull**** message.

GM is restructuring to get ahead of the curve because Cars are not profitable as they once were. This has nothing to do with Trump, Tarriffs or the like.

GM doesn't foresee an economic downturn and is making the cuts "to get in front of it while the company is strong and while the economy is strong," CEO Mary Barra told reporters.

She also noted that tariffs on imported aluminum and steel have hit the company, but she stopped short of saying they had anything to do with the restructuring.
GM to slash up to 14,000 jobs in North America - StarTribune.com

You're unhinged.

None of are cheering, you think this makes anyone on my side happy? It's more like, see, we told you how corrupt, stupid and out of his depth King Tangface is? A "we told you so"" moment. But no, you gotta make it "look at the evil librul bullies cheer" cuz you have you programmers and you drink your kook aid like Trump tells you to right?

You could try and learn from it, support someone better, or even human perhaps, but no, you won't, we know that. Frustrates us, so we come here to vent frustration so you can misread it and generate your faux outrage. Satisfied with it? Feel good to be so mad at total misunderstanding?

I imagine the incredible irony of your post is completely lost on you. It did give me a good chuckle that you took your comment as a serious point, though. Thank you for that.

I would ask you to point out in that post or any other where I support Trump, but obviously you aren't interested in the reality of the situation. Otherwise you would be able to read the thread without a severe case of TDS. Btw, I like Obama better than Trump and I wasn't blind to the onslaught of ODS before you try to imagine there is some argument to be made there.

No outrage here. Just sad awareness of the reality of these posts. I'm all for getting Trump out of office if we are given a choice this coming election unlike the last one. I, like so many millions of others, wasn't comfortable with choosing which type of extreme corruption was best. I went third party, but I think we probably came out 1% ahead by choosing the obvious moron over the secretly corrupt.

I hope someday you can get beyond the incredibly cringy attacks and realize you are giving Trump a boost. Maybe we can actually do better next time.

Making America Great Again!
#winning

Eh, that ****ing fat idiot in the White House will come out with some stupid Tweet soon, blaming this on everyone under the sun, except himself. And his Fan Nation will line up like good foot soldiers and repeat his bull**** message.
NEWS FLASH: Fat shaming is no longer acceptable and shows intolerance for others.

I imagine the incredible irony of your post is completely lost on you. It did give me a good chuckle that you took your comment as a serious point, though. Thank you for that.

I would ask you to point out in that post or any other where I support Trump, but obviously you aren't interested in the reality of the situation. Otherwise you would be able to read the thread without a severe case of TDS. Btw, I like Obama better than Trump and I wasn't blind to the onslaught of ODS before you try to imagine there is some argument to be made there.

No outrage here. Just sad awareness of the reality of these posts. I'm all for getting Trump out of office if we are given a choice this coming election unlike the last one. I, like so many millions of others, wasn't comfortable with choosing which type of extreme corruption was best. I went third party, but I think we probably came out 1% ahead by choosing the obvious moron over the secretly corrupt.

I hope someday you can get beyond the incredibly cringy attacks and realize you are giving Trump a boost. Maybe we can actually do better next time.

I mistook it, I suppose, but for reasons easy to figure I'd think. It's kinda a theme for some of these guys "the librul want 'murica to fail" they just hate trump, as if there just is zero justification, it's a frustration for sure.

Back
Top Bottom