• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GM is slashing 14,700 factory and white collar jobs in North America; may close five factories

He took credit for the economy a few weeks ago.

The thing is, Obama handed over a stable, steadily improving, economy.

Unfortunately Trump had to be best, so he artificially stimulated the economy through tax cuts and cuts to environmental protection, so he could have say how great the economy was doing. Unfortunately, those tax cuts, that environmental damage, has to be paid for later, through medical problems for you, your children, and likely your grandchildren, and for the huge tax cuts Trump gave himself and his buddies.

Trumps steel tariffs are to blame?
No problem, GM can get their steel from domestic steel companies.
Oh wait, they were all put out of business by the Democrats and their nation wrecking schemes which made us dependent on foreign sources.
Now as soon as someone tries to level the playing field only to have it back fire, they are blamed for the entire mess.

We sell scrap metal to Asian steel companies who melt it down and manufacture structural steel.
They in turn sell the same steel back to us and ship it all the way across the Pacific ocean, unload it from ships and truck it hundreds of miles inland to Michigan and it costs less than buying it from an American steel mill a few miles away?
The Democrats did this.

Trumps steel tariffs are to blame?
No problem, GM can get their steel from domestic steel companies.
Oh wait, they were all put out of business by the Democrats and their nation wrecking schemes which made us dependent on foreign sources.
Now as soon as someone tries to level the playing field only to have it back fire, they are blamed for the entire mess.

We sell scrap metal to Asian steel companies who melt it down and manufacture structural steel.
They in turn sell the same steel back to us and ship it all the way across the Pacific ocean, unload it from ships and truck it hundreds of miles inland to Michigan and it costs less than buying it from an American steel mill a few miles away?
The Democrats did this.

See below:
The company does not import a great deal of steel into the United States, but the increased demand for domestic steel has raised prices.

No, the Dems didn't put domestic steel out of business but because of Trump's tariffs, domestic steel makers jacked up the prices -- you know, capitalism.

How come the citizens of Trump Fan Nation aren't in this thread? Where is Conservative to post some of his charts?

Your beloved Anointed One, loses 10.5 billion trying to save a company that should have been left to fail.

The Treasury Department sold off its remaining stake in General Motors, losing $10.5 billion.

Obamafail

From what I'm seeing so far, I don't think that Trump's policies are a major driver of the layoffs.

It seems like the steel tariffs are having some effect; presumably it increased GM prices, which dinged sales. However, the primary reason appears to be much more about consumer tastes. Buyers are shifting away from passenger cars, and buying more trucks, SUVs, and crossovers. From what I'm reading, it sounds like several of GM's plants are running well below capacity, while others are still going strong.

Apparently they are whacking a bunch of vehicles. Via Jalopnik:

w8drgjhn433s7ztjlk3k.png

They also claim they're continuing the "Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, Zero Congestion" philosophy, we'll have to see if that pans out.

There is no indication yet that they are opening or scaling up international plants, in fact one of the plants which is closing is in Ontario. They are "unallocating" another 4 plants in the US.

Yeah but Trump lied to you in that he said in March at a rally that there will be new jobs and auto expansions in Michigan. That didn't happen and now jobs are leaving the area.

OK I am not gonna sign up for the Washington Post, so I can't read the article.

Question: These plants they are closing. Are they opening new ones to replace them anywhere?

Unfortunately Trump had to be best, so he artificially stimulated the economy through tax cuts and cuts to environmental protection, so he could have say how great the economy was doing. Unfortunately, those tax cuts, that environmental damage, has to be paid for later, through medical problems for you, your children, and likely your grandchildren, and for the huge tax cuts Trump gave himself and his buddies.

No, Obama DID NOT hand over a stable improving economy. The non-natural born Citizen was a economic failure proving that a minority should never be elected President.

Your beloved Anointed One, loses 10.5 billion trying to save a company that should have been left to fail.

The Treasury Department sold off its remaining stake in General Motors, losing $10.5 billion.

Obamafail

Who is my "beloved anointed one"? Bush 43, who I did vote for and who came up with the concept of saving GM (which he and Obama managed to do)? I never thought of him as my "beloved anointed one". I was never in love with a President. I'm not like the Trump fans.

Who is my "beloved anointed one"? Bush 43, who I did vote for and who came up with the concept of saving GM (which he and Obama managed to do)? I never thought of him as my "beloved anointed one". I was never in love with a President. I'm not like the Trump fans.

Bush gave GM a loan, Obama took over the company with a 52 billion dollar takeover

No, Obama DID NOT hand over a stable improving economy. The non-natural born Citizen was a economic failure proving that a minority should never be elected President.
Yea, but this is not the Bigoted States of America that you envision.

No, Obama DID NOT hand over a stable improving economy.

Yeah, he did. Basically all indicators steadily increased once he fixed the near disaster Bush handed him. For example:

BN-DY733_stocks_G_20140804135105.jpg

The non-natural born Citizen was a economic failure proving that a minority should never be elected President.

I would say non natural born citizens are a positive boon to your country.

They tend to be less violent to start. And you won't find 50% of them being such huge dumb-asses that they think their uniformed opinion about scientific matters counts for more than that of the scientists who have devoted their lives to being experts in their fields.

You should be grateful to every immigrant, each one makes your country a little bit better.

Save it, that is nothing more than an opinion. GM should have been left to fail. It would have been split up and those companies taking over GM would produce more than what GM was producing. Obamafail was nothing but saving the union with over 10 billion of taxpayer money
Nobody wanted to buy the plants. They tried selling them. Nobody was interested.

Bush gave GM a loan, Obama took over the company with a 52 billion dollar takeover

And it was doing fine until the moron Trump decided to start playing with the economy. Well, a lot of Trump's top staff say he's an idiot, so perhaps "the idiot Trump" would be more appropriate. How's that trade war working out, eh?

Yeah, he did. Basically all indicators steadily increased once he fixed the near disaster Bush handed him. For example:

BN-DY733_stocks_G_20140804135105.jpg

I would say non natural born citizens are a positive boon to your country.

They tend to be less violent to start. And you won't find 50% of them being such huge dumb-asses that they think their uniformed opinion about scientific matters counts for more than that of the scientists who have devoted their lives to being experts in their fields.

You should be grateful to every immigrant, each one makes your country a little bit better.
Only working Immigrants of White European heritage make our country a little bit better.

That's backwards. Obama stimulated the economy through years of artificially low interest rates and quantitative easing. At the same time he was putting the brakes on with lots of unnecessary and oppressive layers of regulation. Despite this, the economy did limp along, and slowly improved. The tax cuts (and especially regulatory reform), have provided real growth, and allowed the FED to back off on emergency measures they took.

Back
Top Bottom