• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

German Unity Day [W:192]

I think maybe at some point in his childhood, Rostocker's mean old American uncle must of stolen his candy...or something.

from my perspective it is far east - and insults dont´give you right - although you permanentely try hard

Anhalt was conquered by the Saxons in the time of the (Saxon) Ottonen Emperiors. But there was no population exchange. Even in parts of Holstein there were slavs. When the Saxon dukedom went to the east to Meißen after the fail of Henry the lion, the land today called Saxony emerged. But there are no ethnic Saxons living in Saxony - it´s a mixture from thuringian and slavic influences as the language is. About th old Thuringian Kingdom nobody knows much - not even if they where germannic people.

Of course we are germanic people. Even Sueton mentions us as germanic Tribe. The Thuringii.

I have No relatives in shithole countries.

I've had discussions with other Germans online, some even in far right parties, I got no impression they hated Americans. So are you the odd man out?

I've had discussions with other Germans online, some even in far right parties, I got no impression they hated Americans. So are you the odd man out?

I dont hate americans. I just think USA is a pathetic shithole. That doesnt mean i hate the people.

Im glad that i have no relatives in USA. I would see that as bad for my family renomee.

I dont hate americans. I just think USA is a pathetic shithole. That doesnt mean i hate the people.

Im glad that i have no relatives in USA. I would see that as bad for my family renomee.

Have you ever been here?

Of course we are germanic people. Even Sueton mentions us as germanic Tribe. The Thuringii.
QED
in Suetons times they called anything north either celtic or germannic - cause they didn´t know anything about these people

Don´t try too hard to understand him . He´s weird. Anything not german is to him either a shithole or a third world country or both. He is NOT representative to the people here.

Thats wrong. I like Spain, France, Chile, Japan, Australia and New Caledonia. Absolutely loved those places.

I have certain standards.

As usual bullshit.

The Thuringii, Toringi or Teuriochaimai,[1] were an early Germanic[2] people that appeared during the late Migration Period in the Harz Mountains of central Germania, a region still known today as Thuringia.
as usual because you say so - I´m tired of your populist games and don´t discuss with you anymore. You are not able to do that. But I will point my finger on the wound when your boasting and fact free posting gets too much again.
And when you tell everybody you speak for Germany.

as usual because you say so - I´m tired of your populist games and don´t discuss with you anymore. You are not able to do that. But I will point my finger on the wound when your boasting and fact free posting gets too much again.
And when you tell everybody you spek for Germany.

I dont discuss with you. I lecture you. Thats a difference.

Btw you like the new camp on Lesbos? Its build there because people like me.

Two of my colleagues in Berlin: a Frenchman named Hartmann and a German named Dybovski.
Back to your expert colleagues in Berlin are we? The same people who think Ronald Reagan reunited Germany and destroyed the Soviet Union? Your posts have been off-topic for pages.
Sorry, but your #11 was an attack on Americans. An attack apparently based on ignorance, btw.
It is not ignorance to suggest that many Americans believe Ronald Reagan reunited Germany and destroyed the Soviet Union at the same time. You are one of them and your posts which derail this thread proves it. I have asked you to stop and a Moderator has intervened. My topic was to congratulate the Germans on reunification and has nothing to do with American grasp of European history or American presidents such as Iran-Contra Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall or John Kennedy before him saying he was a Berliner.

Back to your expert colleagues in Berlin are we? The same people who think Ronald Reagan reunited Germany and destroyed the Soviet Union? Your posts have been off-topic for pages.

It is not ignorance to suggest that many Americans believe Ronald Reagan reunited Germany and destroyed the Soviet Union at the same time. You are one of them and your posts which derail this thread proves it. I have asked you to stop and a Moderator has intervened. My topic was to congratulate the Germans on reunification and has nothing to do with American grasp of European history or American presidents such as Iran-Contra Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall or John Kennedy before him saying he was a Berliner.
And I came here to join the celebration, only to be attacked.
No one believes Ronald Reagan reunited Germany. Ronald Reagan created the conditions by which Mikhail Gorbachev could accidentally destroy the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact. That enabled the collapse of East Germany. Germans reunited Germany, with George H.W. Bush playing a strong role in smoothing the way for other Europeans to accept that reunification.

And I came here to join the celebration, only to be attacked.
No one believes Ronald Reagan reunited Germany. Ronald Reagan created the conditions by which Mikhail Gorbachev could accidentally destroy the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact. That enabled the collapse of East Germany. Germans reunited Germany, with George H.W. Bush playing a strong role in smoothing the way for other Europeans to accept that reunification.
Americans tend to show no appreciation of the German people's own agency in reuniting their country. They also, like yourself, exaggerate the role of American presidents. It is remarkably insensitive and insulting, and particularly unwelcome in a thread dedicated to the German people.

Americans tend to show no appreciation of the German people's own agency in reuniting their country. They also, like yourself, exaggerate the role of American presidents. It is remarkably insensitive and insulting, and particularly unwelcome in a thread dedicated to the German people.
Ah, the irony of being considered "insensitive and insulting" while saluting the anniversary of German unification.

Americans tend to show no appreciation of the German people's own agency in reuniting their country.
Their agency was &*^%ed, pardon my french. They needed the west, particularly including the US, to bring down their Russian rulers. It is what it is; I much prefer to avoid revisionist history.

Starting in 1949, Russian language was mandatory in all East German schools. So everyone was taught; few may have retained much.
Oops, it kind of sounds like East Germans were unusually dumb and couldn't learn the language their Russian masters were trying to teach them. Is that Rostockers' point?

Their agency was &*^%ed, pardon my french. They needed the west, particularly including the US, to bring down their Russian rulers. It is what it is; I much prefer to avoid revisionist history.
Being an American, you would write such a post which rather makes my point. You write of "the west" but you mean the USA. You appear unaware of Ostpolitik which was the effort to normalize relations between the Bundesrepublik Deutschland (West Germany) under the Chancellorship of Willy Brandt (already mocked in this thread) and the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (East Germany). As a Social Democrat, Brandt determined that the short-sighted conservative policy of Konrad Adenauer's Christian Democratic Union (CDU) toward the DDR was too hostile and unlikely to help bring together in a spirit of cooperation both parts of Germany. It so happened that Willy Brandt had a particular knowledge and experience of divided Berlin since he had been the mayor of West Berlin from 1957 to 1966 when the Americans and the Soviet Union relations were tense and both had occupation armies facing each other in Germany. You can imagine the tact, intelligence, and vision Brandt must have had to be able to concentrate on building trust with East Germans in a way that did not get either the Americans or the Soviets from becoming all hot under the collar. As Chancellor, Willy Brandt made great progress by disregarding the failed conservative policy of the CDU and by signing treaties with the Soviets (renouncing military force and recognizing current European borders) and the Poles (recognizing the Oder-Neisse line ceding former German territory to Poland). Brandt proceeded to recognize that the DDR existed and the scene was set for economic cooperation and trade between both Germanys which would slowly but surely undermine the reason for the DDR to continue as a separate sovereign state. It worked. In your post which I quoted above, you dismiss this German agency as ineffectual. As you can see, I hold a different view.

330px-John_F._Kennedy_meeting_with_Willy_Brandt%2C_March_13%2C_1961.jpg

I did not want to fail to mention an American president so I include here Social Democrat West Berlin Mayor Willy Brandt with John Kennedy in 1961.

Oops, it kind of sounds like East Germans were unusually dumb and couldn't learn the language their Russian masters were trying to teach them. Is that Rostockers' point?

It was teached as secondary language. What secondary language do you speak?

I speak as my native language German. As 2nd language English and as 3rd language had latin.

As you can see, I hold a different view.

I did not want to fail to mention an American president so I include here Social Democrat West Berlin Mayor Willy Brandt with John Kennedy in 1961.

I can see that you hold a different view. I think it is deluded, but I can see.

Your last line, also included above, is awesome, and I thank you for it.

It was teached as secondary language. What secondary language do you speak?

I speak as my native language German. As 2nd language English and as 3rd language had latin.
My second language is irrelevant. Why were Germans so bad at learning Russian from their rulers? (Note -- I'm not saying they were, but that was apparently your point.)

My second language is irrelevant. Why were Germans so bad at learning Russian from their rulers? (Note -- I'm not saying they were, but that was apparently your point.)

Because 1. Nobody gave a shit about learning russian as 2nd language and 2. It had zero practical use. There was almost No business nor contact. Eastern Germany had Higher living standard than USSR, what Sense does it make to learn a language you cant do anything with?

I can see that you hold a different view. I think it is deluded, but I can see.

Your last line, also included above, is awesome, and I thank you for it.

I dont understand how one can be so slimy and desperat to try to squish into another nations great achievement. Its quite disgusting actually.

Back
Top Bottom