• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Galaxy 35 Billion Light Years Away

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A distant galaxy thirty-five billion light years away has been discovered but how is that possible if the universe is 13.5 or 14.2 billion years old?
ttps://www.ed.ac.uk/news/2022/edinburgh-astronomers-find-most-distant-galaxy

A distant galaxy thirty-five billion light years away has been discovered but how is that possible if the universe is 13.5 or 14.2 billion years old?
It's because the space between us and that galaxy has been expanding the entire time that the light has been traveling. So even though that light only left its galaxy 13 billion years ago, the light wave has been getting stretched and red-shifted by the expansion of space. It's like an ant walking on the surface of a balloon as someone is blowing the balloon up.

So even though the universe is only about 13.8 billion years old, the radius of the observable universe is about 45 billion light-years.

Your link is missing an 'h' at the beginning.

Some scientists believe the universe is expanding - if the light from a galaxy has been traveling 13.5 billion years until reaching earth, the expansion of the universe has moved that galaxy billions of light years during that time.

(A few minutes for a good explanation - ten minutes for whole video.)

It's because the space between us and that galaxy has been expanding the entire time that the light has been traveling. So even though that light only left its galaxy 13 billion years ago, the light wave has been getting stretched and red-shifted by the expansion of space. It's like an ant walking on the surface of a balloon as someone is blowing the balloon up.

So even though the universe is only about 13.8 billion years old, the radius of the observable universe is about 45 billion light-years.
Or somebody misplaced a decimal point and screwed up the math 😛

Bang!

The expansion was faster than the speed of light for a period of time? (theory)

Also, the new found galaxy is probably moving in the opposite direction from ours?

Why is science baffling to neo-conservatives?
For starters those types of conservatives are raised thinking that opinions and deeply held religious beliefs supercede facts.
In fact, not even just those kinds of conservatives, you can find people on the other end of the political spectrum who harbor similar ideas, only with them, it's called "your truth".
"Yes, speak your truth, celebrate your truth."
We mustn't ever tell someone that their truth is invalid, that's a microaggression!

But in the end it's the Right side that's the most well-funded, and represented...at least for now.

For starters those types of conservatives are raised thinking that opinions and deeply held religious beliefs supercede facts.
In fact, not even just those kinds of conservatives, you can find people on the other end of the political spectrum who harbor similar ideas, only with them, it's called "your truth".
"Yes, speak your truth, celebrate your truth."
We mustn't ever tell someone that their truth is invalid, that's a microaggression!

But in the end it's the Right side that's the most well-funded, and represented...at least for now.
Funny cause they also run their mouths saying facts over feelings while spouting their bullshit.

what i want to know is what existed before the big bang and what caused the big bang.

it's something we'll never know.

Other people have already answered your question (even though you coulda Googled it yourself).

Funny how you went through this whole exercise thinking that mathematicians and astronomers didn't have an answer for a question you thought was a stumper.

Real "if we evolved from primates why is there still chimpanzees" energy.

On a more serious note:

what i want to know is what existed before the big bang and what caused the big bang.

The problem is that the Big Bang is so poorly understood by scientists, that at least two words in this sentence don't have clear meanings.

It's unclear if "what existed before the Big Bang" is even a valid question. Some theories speculate that time itself began with the Big Bang, so there would be no "before," just as you can't go North from the North Pole. If these theories are true, the question itself would be a category error.

However, at this point it's just speculation that time started with the Big Bang. There are also some theories where it didn't, where "before" would be a valid frame of reference.

Which brings us to the second part of your question: What caused the Big Bang? This again is a question that possibly involves a category error: It assumes that the Big Bang was a singular event that needs a cause. The most popular theory where time existed before the Big Bang is called eternal inflation...where the Big Bang is the default state of the universe that's always happening, almost everywhere. In this theory, a better question might be "what caused the Big Bang to stop, in our patch of the universe?" And we don't know. It may have just been a random quantum fluctuation.

My incorrect opinion is that what came before was a contracting universe which caused the big bang. I'm apparently incorrect about this idea because of entropy and because I haven't adequately wrapped my mind around the physical distances that make it impossible for all of the spread out masses to recombine. At least I think that's why I'm wrong. I could be wrong about that.

The problem is that the Big Bang is so poorly understood by scientists, that at least two words in this sentence don't have clear meanings.

It's unclear if "what existed before the Big Bang" is even a valid question. Some theories speculate that time itself began with the Big Bang, so there would be no "before," just as you can't go North from the North Pole. If these theories are true, the question itself would be a category error.

However, at this point it's just speculation that time started with the Big Bang. There are also some theories where it didn't, where "before" would be a valid frame of reference.

Which brings us to the second part of your question: What caused the Big Bang? This again is a question that possibly involves a category error: It assumes that the Big Bang was a singular event that needs a cause. The most popular theory where time existed before the Big Bang is called eternal inflation...where the Big Bang is the default state of the universe that's always happening, almost everywhere. In this theory, a better question might be "what caused the Big Bang to stop, in our patch of the universe?" And we don't know. It may have just been a random quantum fluctuation.
If our entire universe is simply a single cell in a being and one of the cells split then that could be the big bang.

My incorrect opinion is that what came before was a contracting universe which caused the big bang. I'm apparently incorrect about this idea because of entropy and because I haven't adequately wrapped my mind around the physical distances that make it impossible for all of the spread out masses to recombine. At least I think that's why I'm wrong. I could be wrong about that.
Ha

Your link is missing an 'h' at the beginning.

Some scientists believe the universe is expanding - if the light from a galaxy has been traveling 13.5 billion years until reaching earth, the expansion of the universe has moved that galaxy billions of light years during that time.

(A few minutes for a good explanation - ten minutes for whole video.)

What an annoying person.

Hawking solved that entropy problem before he died, using imaginary time.

link
It looks like the OP's question has been answered. Meanwhile....

HERE is the actual paper, not the news release. Note this first came out in November. Also note that:
"We used the photometric redshift (photo-z) code EAZY (Brammer et al. 2008) for our redshift determination for every object in the COSMOS and JWST catalogues."
I don't know if this "most distant galaxy" claim has held up -- maybe it has -- but everyone should know that the early James Webb findings -- especially determining redshift through photometric means -- are possibly flawed due to the dustiness surrounding these most distant objects, which causes them to appear redder (and hence further) than they actually are.

Nevertheless, this finding could very well be accurate, and the OP's confusion demonstrates why astronomers use redshift distance rather than saying something is so many billion lightyears away. The paper states the galaxy has a redshift of z=16.4. That's how many times the light has been "stretched" due to universal expansion. That is WAY out there! The problem is, the number of billion lightyears that corresponds to z=16.4 DEPENDS on the cosmological parameters being used. That is, it depends on (1) the estimate of what portion of the Universe is made up of MASS (including dark matter), (2) what portion is made up of the dark energy in the vacuum, and (3) exactly what the Hubble constant is. And this all is based on the observed determination that the topology of the Universe is nearly, if not exactly, flat. The exact value of the Hubble constant (not actually a constant) is currently "in tension," so a value of 69 km/sec/Mpc might actually be closer to 72.

Anyway, as suggested in the article, the light from an object at z=16.4 is coming from a time when the Universe was only 240 million years old, and it's comoving radial distance is 34.7 billion lightyears. Here is Ned Wright's Cosmology Calculator where you can change the cosmological parameters and see how that changes the apparent co-moving distance to an object. :)

The problem is that the Big Bang is so poorly understood by scientists....
I assume you mean The Big Bang, that is, the very beginning at time t=0. Yeah, that's beyond observation. But amazingly, scientists have a pretty good understanding of the Universe at time 1 second after the very beginning. After all, Weinberg's classic The First Three Minutes was written in 1977. (Of course, he doesn't cover the first half second. But after that, the physics is pretty solid.)

I assume you mean The Big Bang, that is, the very beginning at time t=0. Yeah, that's beyond observation. But amazingly, scientists have a pretty good understanding of the Universe at time 1 second after the very beginning. After all, Weinberg's classic The First Three Minutes was written in 1977. (Of course, he doesn't cover the first half second. But after that, the physics is pretty solid.)
One (predominant) view holds that there was no "t=0", because the universe is boundless. So if you went backwards in time in our universe, you would never reach a boundary and would go forever.

The most popular theory where time existed before the Big Bang is called eternal inflation...where the Big Bang is the default state of the universe that's always happening, almost everywhere.
Well, Vilenkin's "eternal inflation" imagines that the faster-than-light inflation is going on "everywhere," but once in a while a universe "decays" out of the inflation -- like ours did -- the "decay" resulting in a phase transition, slowing the superluminal expansion down to something considerably more manageable, and this sudden decay releases an extraordinary amount of heat that provides sufficient energy to convert into the quarks and electrons and subsequently protons and neutrons. So our Universe is a decay product of this ongoing inflation, while other pocket universes also decay into their own brand of universe, which we will NEVER be able to detect since superluminal inflation is going on between these universes. Or so the thinking goes. Vilenkin does suggest a way to support at least a part of the idea.

If your theory is true then why is this discovery unique? One galaxy out of billions?! You do bring up the question never to be answered by saying the "observable universe". We will never know what is beyond that.

If your theory is true then why is this discovery unique? One galaxy out of billions?!
Correct, there are billions of galaxies far away from us. It isn't unique. According to the story it's the most distant galaxy found. But there are lots of others in that same ballpark.

You do bring up the question never to be answered by saying the "observable universe". We will never know what is beyond that.
Correct, by definition we can't know anything beyond the observable universe. At best we might be able to make some conjectures about it by, for example, measuring some curvature in the observable universe. But so far all efforts to detect any curvature have failed, so we know that the universe is within 1% of perfect flatness. It looks like the universe is infinite, but we can never know for sure.

Last edited:

If our entire universe is simply a single cell in a being and one of the cells split then that could be the big bang.
Hawking solved that entropy problem before he died, using imaginary time.
Well, Vilenkin's "eternal inflation" imagines that the faster-than-light inflation is going on "everywhere," but once in a while a universe "decays" out of the inflation -- like ours did -- the "decay" resulting in a phase transition, slowing the superluminal expansion down to something considerably more manageable, and this sudden decay releases an extraordinary amount of heat that provides sufficient energy to convert into the quarks and electrons and subsequently protons and neutrons. So our Universe is a decay product of this ongoing inflation, while other pocket universes also decay into their own brand of universe, which we will NEVER be able to detect since superluminal inflation is going on between these universes. Or so the thinking goes. Vilenkin does suggest a way to support at least a part of the idea.
Eternal inflation with random fluctuations. Cells in a multiverse-being. Imaginary time. Universe decay.

It's amazing what people who consider themselves rational skeptics are willing to believe in. One could get the impression there's something missing in your lives.

Back
Top Bottom