• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Fries and Mayonnaise in Europe

anomaly said:
It's obvious. France never (in the 20th-21st centuries) invaded a country based on the notion of 'premptive' war. France is sensibe, we are not.

Since you brought up the 20th century - No, France just made deals not to interfere with countries invading others; then threw up their hands when the same country invaded them. Sounds sensible. :thinking

France's foreign policy is still far superior than that of the USA. How can you neo-cons support such a notion as preemptive war?

anomaly said:
France's foreign policy is still far superior than that of the USA. How can you neo-cons support such a notion as preemptive war?

If what I described is your idea of superior foreign policy, I'm glad it's theirs.

anomaly said:
But Pacridge, why are they bashing America? It's obvious. France never (in the 20th-21st centuries) invaded a country based on the notion of 'premptive' war. France doesn't continually move to the right, giving corporations more and more power. France is sensibe, we are not. That's why America is getting 'bashed'. Frankly, we deserve it.

I agree. I would just like to see the discussion stay focused on politics and away from such other things. I have just as much distaste in my mouth when I read how dirty the French people are or how their idea of military action is to surdender as I have when I read how we Americans live in "Trashville" and stuff our faces with Big Macs and "Freedom Fries" all day long. Though, to be honest we probably asked for the "Freedom Fries" jabs. As a moderator part of my goal is to keep the conversation focused away from bashing, or at least bashing based on ethic or national orgins. I also try to keep posters focused away from spelling and grammatical attacks. I don't see either as "debating" or adding to the forum.

Now as for: "France is sensible, we are not. That's why America is getting bashed. Frankly, we deserve it" You might be right. Or you may be wrong. To be honest I don't know enough about what France has and hasn't actually done, in recent years, to give any assessment either way. I do know I thought the whole "Freedom Fries" incident was a embarrassment. "You're not going to support our war? Well, we're going to change the name of the fried potato's in our dinning room, so there." Sounds like something kids on a playground would do, not the United States Congress. But I read some stuff about the food for oil mess that didn't make me think France had their act all that together either. So? Can you give some reasons why you think they are "sensible?"

Pacridge said:
I mean how exactly is telling someone they live in "Trashville" engaging in a debate?

It's a play on words dearest. There's a place in Tennessee called Nashville. I'm amazed you don't know it? It's quite famous for country music.

I'm making the point that many people who expouse the kinds of views I was arguing against are often expoused by a certain type of US citizen, not infrequently associated with trailer parks, who then go off and demonstrate even worse behaviour than the behaviours they rail against. If people are seriously offended by banter, I suggest they give up on forums like this and go discuss hairstyles on the Céline Dion forum.

Love Céline btw, but isn't she looking rough these days?

Are Fries the same as Chips ? Why they have different names ?

Of course, rice is always the best, even with mayonnaise !!

Fried Rice - even goes with Peanut Sauce

Fried Rice said:
Are Fries the same as Chips ? Why they have different names ?

Of course, rice is always the best, even with mayonnaise !!

Fried Rice - even goes with Peanut Sauce

In British English "chips" are "fries", but in other anglophone countries, such as South Africa for example, "chips" are potato crisps. "Fries" in an Americanism. They started to call what you know as chips "French fries" even though they are a Belgian invention. One theory for this is that Americans heard Belgians speaking French and couldn't work out the difference between francophone Belgians and French, hence the name French fries stuck. Now of course they've been re-named "freedom fries". Rather childish really, since in France we kept "Place des Etats-Unies" and our métro station "Frankln D. Rooesevelt" and didn't feel the need to re-name things. I think that says alot about the maturity of the US.

Urethra Franklin said:
In British English "chips" are "fries", but in other anglophone countries, such as South Africa for example, "chips" are potato crisps. "Fries" in an Americanism. They started to call what you know as chips "French fries" even though they are a Belgian invention. One theory for this is that Americans heard Belgians speaking French and couldn't work out the difference between francophone Belgians and French, hence the name French fries stuck. Now of course they've been re-named "freedom fries". Rather childish really, since in France we kept "Place des Etats-Unies" and our métro station "Frankln D. Rooesevelt" and didn't feel the need to re-name things. I think that says alot about the maturity of the US.
Jeez. Can't you leave the American bashing out of your ignorance spewing (or are they one and the same?). French fries are called that because they originate in France.
For also in the 1840s, pomme frites ("fried potatoes") first appeared in Paris. Sadly, we don't know the name of the ingenious chef who first sliced the potato into long slender pieces and fried them. But they were immediately popular, and were sold on the streets of Paris by push-cart vendors.

Frites spread to America where they were called French fried potatoes. You asked how they got their name--pretty obvious, I'd say: they came from France, and they were fried potatoes, so they were called "French fried potatoes." The name was shortened to "french fries" in the 1930s.

By the way, the verb "to french" in cooking has come to mean to cut in long, slender strips, and some people insist that "french fries" come from that term. However, the French fried potato was known since the middle 1800s, while the OED cites the first use of the verb "to french" around 1895, so it appears pretty convincing that "french fried potatoes" came before the verb "frenching." The origin of the name is thus the country of origin French and not the cooking term french.

As for Belgian Fries, the story doesn't pan out.:
How it all started is still a mistery.
Of course, in good food tradition, the French claim to be the inventors of our beloved fries: they originated in Paris on the Pont Neuf (fries are still called like that in the chique French restaurants) somewhere in the middle of the 19th century. As with most "French" inventions, they forgot to note the name of the inventor and they are still searching for proof. As we will see later, even the word "French Fries" has nothing to do with the French.
(note, they never do get around to that.)
(Snip)

Why are they called "French Fries"?
Explanation 1: the French invented fries, that's why we call them French Fries. Wrong, as we have seen above.

Explanation 2: during the first World War, American soldiers came to our country and discovered our fries. As the inhabitants spoke French (the biggest battles were fought in Ieper near the French border), the soldiers called them French Fries. Wrong again.

In fact, the explanation is quite simple: in English, 'to french' means (or at least meant) 'to cut into lengthwise pieces'. You probably know 'frenched beans'. So logically, French Fries is short for 'frenched and fried potatoes'. In fact, the English call them 'chips', a word which has a similar meaning (a chipped piece of wood).
Explanation 1 is incorrect for the obvious reasons.
Explanation 2 doesn't make sense since the term pre-dates WW1
"Explanation 3" doesn't make sense either since the OED doesn't recognize the term "frenching" in that sense until much after "french fries" had been used.

shuamort said:
Jeez. Can't you leave the American bashing out of your ignorance spewing (or are they one and the same?). French fries are called that because they originate in France.

As for Belgian Fries, the story doesn't pan out.:
Explanation 1 is incorrect for the obvious reasons.
Explanation 2 doesn't make sense since the term pre-dates WW1
"Explanation 3" doesn't make sense either since the OED doesn't recognize the term "frenching" in that sense until much after "french fries" had been used.

Re-read my post.
My key word was "theory"
Now calm down and take a xanax

Urethra Franklin said:
Re-read my post.
My key word was "theory"
Now calm down and take a xanax
You also said "they are a Belgian invention". Your "key word" wasn't applying to that statement.

shuamort said:
You also said "they are a Belgian invention". Your "key word" wasn't applying to that statement.

Yes I did, as I believe they are. I have heard this from several different sources and no I don't have the Wankypedia reference to quote. I'm too busy having a life thanks.

Last edited:
Urethra Franklin said:
Yes I did, as I believe they are. I have heard this from several different sources and no I don't have the Wankypedia reference to quote. I'm too busy having a life thanks.
Welcome to the world of debating where people back up their claims with facts and not hearsay. (Obviously, you're so busy having a life that you had time to reply. :rolleyes: )

shuamort said:
Welcome to the world of debating where people back up their claims with facts and not hearsay. (Obviously, you're so busy having a life that you had time to reply. :rolleyes: )

I gracefully sacrifice my time to give you a taste of European reality, but no, I don't digest encylopeadiae for dinner. :rolleyes:
I have read about "Belgian" fries in both British and Swiss newspapers. No, I don't have the references for you, but I never base my debate on "hearsay"
I leave that to your president (and your American encyclopaediae) :rolleyes:

Urethra Franklin said:
I gracefully sacrifice my time to give you a taste of European reality, but no, I don't digest encylopeadiae for dinner. :rolleyes:
I have read about "Belgian" fries in both British and Swiss newspapers. No, I don't have the references for you, but I never base my debate on "hearsay"
I leave that to your president (and your American encyclopaediae) :rolleyes:
Facts, my dear chap, facts. Provide 'em to support your claim. You've been so wrong about so many other things that even if your posts came notarized I'd still find 'em dubious (thanks Millan!).

shuamort said:
Facts, my dear chap, facts. Provide 'em to support your claim. You've been so wrong about so many other things that even if your posts came notarized I'd still find 'em dubious (thanks Millan!).

Reduced to your level, which is pretty low, but here you go:

http://www.stim.com/Stim-x/9.2/fries/fries-sidebar-09.2.html

*Urethra awaits the next Wankypaedia quote* :rolleyes:

Urethra Franklin said:
Reduced to your level, which is pretty low, but here you go:

http://www.stim.com/Stim-x/9.2/fries/fries-sidebar-09.2.html

*Urethra awaits the next Wankypaedia quote* :rolleyes:
First off, neither of my cites were from Wikipedia. So you can roll that idea up reallllly tight and cram it.
Secondly, your website is dubious at best as its corroborating link goes nowhere, hey, that's just like your argument!
The Dutch, however, cannot take responsibility for inventing the fry. Neither can the French. That honor goes to the Belgians, where fries are cherished even more than they are in Holland. The fry culture in Belgium is similar to that of Holland—fries are everywhere, the thick slabs of potatoes are freshly fried and served in paper cones, and they are offered with a variety of toppings, the most popular being mayonnaise—but the Belgians have also developed a wide variety of specialized fries shops, called, in Belgium "frietkots" or "fritures". These range from small stands, to sheds, busses and caravans, to shacks or quaint chalets.
Go ahead, try it yourself. Go back to your "cite" and try it there too.

Urethra Franklin said:
Worked for me. Must be your inferior US software.

Try this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/french-fry

and that's my final word as this is getting very tedious.

Shuamort, do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend?
Good, as long as your final word was dubious at best we can rest. Your last cite even said "However, there exist many other theories.". I'll stick by my proven information sources on this one.

I've got a fiancé. So, sorry. I'm taken.

shuamort said:
Good, as long as your final word was dubious at best we can rest. Your last cite even said "However, there exist many other theories.". I'll stick by my proven information sources on this one.

I've got a fiancé. So, sorry. I'm taken.

Oh I wasn't asking because you enflame passions within me.
I was just wondering, his name must be wilkiepaedia.

It was recently announced by Football Association in UK that we Chinese invent football - maybe we invent the French Fry as well !!

Fried Rice Doesnt Really like Fries

Back
Top Bottom