• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Four Referendums On Donald Trump

Are Trump Supporters Tired Of All This Winning?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The point is that it should've been a landslide for Republicans...but it wasn't.

Utah 2017 General Election shows who's currently running in the UT-3 special 11/7/17.

UT-3 has a Cook's PVI rating of R + 25, far above the R + 8 that GA-6 and SC-5 have.

Cook considers a swing CD to be between D+5 and R+5 and he gives a list of all 435 CDs .

Each of these races were in very Republican districts. Oddly, Trump maintains a 75% approval rating amongst Republicans. This is not exactly winning games that you should not win. The fact that some of these were even in doubt is the bigger story.

I will say, however, that ever since Trump was elected, the Rockies have been a winning team. In fact, they are the winningest team in the National League. Not so before Trump.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Baseball+Standings&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I am not tried of that winning. Thanks, Donald.

Trump, OTH, managed to parlay his honeymoon period to a 36-40% approval rating, has no legislative accomplishments, is under direct and indirect investigation on a number of matters. Pretty pathetic!

Trump should spend to some time thinking how to actually go about winning. As of now, he appears to be the biggest loser ever elected to POTUS.
Sounds like the propaganda arm of the DNC needs to work on their messaging then...

When they signal "the next election is going to be a referendum on Trump", it tells the GOP to rally the base and get their own fundraisers ready. Instead of quietly pouring money into the next special election they pre-emptively signal that they're going to make a great big deal if they win and so the Republicans counter-attack. I said it before...

The DNC have got to be the worst tacticians on the planet.

The frequently take defeat from the jaws of victory. If the DNC hadn't put so much symbolic importance on all these special elections and instead just pumped in money I bet they would have been able to win at least one.

I sure hope making excuses on "Losing Day" makes you guys feel better. Losing day being ****ing always for you leftists. Good luck in 2018!
The current generation of Dems rely on participation trophies to make the hurting stop.

Trump has faced four "special referendums" after he dethroned Queen Hillary. And Republicans are 4-0 in all of them. Are Trump supporters tired of winning? I don't think so. And I bet Trump haters aren't tired of losing.

I think those four special elections were a continued referendum AGAINST the Democrats.

Hillary threw an enormous amount of money at her election, the media was virtually totally on her side, Hollywood's money was on her side...and she lost. The same thing happened in all of these special elections. The Democrat candidate...no matter HOW much money, no matter how much media support, no matter how much Hollywood...all lost.

If the Democrats want to accomplish anything but further losses in 2018 they REALLY have to change their focus. Myself, I don't think they have any idea about what to do to change that focus.

Trump has faced four "special referendums" after he dethroned Queen Hillary. And Republicans are 4-0 in all of them. Are Trump supporters tired of winning? I don't think so. And I bet Trump haters aren't tired of losing.

LOL .....4-0 in all extremely safe Republican districts. Districts that the prior candidate won by double digits. I understand that the Republicans won all four.....to the disappointment of the Dems who thought that they might pull off an upset. But don't kid yourself. These were all seats that the GOP should be able to sleepwalk through.

I keep hearing that repeated. Is that consolation prize for 2nd place (1st loser)? :)

It shows a weakness in the GOP districts...especially the ones that voted over overwhelmingly for Trump. In three out of the last four special elections, the GOP margin of winning narrowed by double digits. The the Georgia race is the only one that gained a few percentage points...but Trump only won by 1 percentage point in that district....and that's why Dems thought they stood a good chance. These special elections help test the water for the 2018 mid term elections.

Rep. Chaffetz is quitting at the end of this month...so there will be another special election coming up. But I don't expect a lot of outside money to come pouring in for the Democrat candidate mainly because the Democrat party seems to have pretty much written off Utah.

LOL .....4-0 in all extremely safe Republican districts. Districts that the prior candidate won by double digits. I understand that the Republicans won all four.....to the disappointment of the Dems who thought that they might pull off an upset. But don't kid yourself. These were all seats that the GOP should be able to sleepwalk through.

Yet your side poured in millions? Smart use of donor money, I'm sure that waste wont turn off future donors.

Yet your side poured in millions? Smart use of donor money, I'm sure that waste wont turn off future donors.

Oh I agree completely. I was never one of those who thought that he much of a shot to win. I recognized that it was a big long shot. His best chance was to get 50+1 at the primary...when that didn't happen, it was unlikely that he would win. Which is why I think it was an extremely poor use of resources going after a longshot. Its like placing a multi-million dollar bet on a longshot horse. If it pays off, its great for you, but the likelihood of that happening should make you think twice about putting down that bet...but then again...I'm not a huge gambler.

Perhaps the propaganda arm of the DNC shouldn't be hyping up the symbolism then? These snowflakes are very emotional as of late...

HRCcry.jpg

The talking heads should really stop making these children cry.

Perhaps the propaganda arm of the DNC shouldn't be hyping up the symbolism then? These snowflakes are very emotional as of late...

HRCcry.jpg

The talking heads should really stop making these children cry.

I agree. The DNC was foolish to try to make it seem like they ever had a chance in this race. It was possible that there could be an upset but it was never a good chance. I don't understand why they put so much emphasis on this. It was a big gamble that didn't pay off. Some people would credit them for aiming high and giving it a shot despite failing....however, I am not a big gambler and rarely go for the big payoff.

I agree. The DNC was foolish to try to make it seem like they ever had a chance in this race. It was possible that there could be an upset but it was never a good chance. I don't understand why they put so much emphasis on this. It was a big gamble that didn't pay off. Some people would credit them for aiming high and giving it a shot despite failing....however, I am not a big gambler and rarely go for the big payoff.

It was good to get the GOP dark money PACs on record as to how low they would go with their ads.

With the party of Nixon 2.0, politics is not a game and they don't play.

Time to put McConnell's face on every DEM ad they run against GOP lawmakers and time to do it now .

It shows a weakness in the GOP districts...especially the ones that voted over overwhelmingly for Trump. In three out of the last four special elections, the GOP margin of winning narrowed by double digits. The the Georgia race is the only one that gained a few percentage points...but Trump only won by 1 percentage point in that district....and that's why Dems thought they stood a good chance. These special elections help test the water for the 2018 mid term elections.

Rep. Chaffetz is quitting at the end of this month...so there will be another special election coming up. But I don't expect a lot of outside money to come pouring in for the Democrat candidate mainly because the Democrat party seems to have pretty much written off Utah.

Dr. Allen will no doubt close the gap. She has to run according to her district's views on the issues and be ready for the smear ads that will no doubt come in October, such as those run at Ossoff. I see the GOP has its primary 8/15 and that there will be 5 third party candidates in nov.

Dr. Allen will no doubt close the gap. She has to run according to her district's views on the issues and be ready for the smear ads that will no doubt come in October, such as those run at Ossoff. I see the GOP has its primary 8/15 and that there will be 5 third party candidates in nov.

I dunno. I haven't heard much from or about her for awhile...not even sure if she's got the nomination yet.

Trump is holding his voters together. Only two things will brake up his very solid base:
1) When he names the next Supreme Court Justice he can't pick a moderate, he has to pick another obviously conservative judge
2) He has to show that he is trying his best to 'BUILD THAT WALL'

Jon Ossoff’s defeat made the last 10 days of Republicans’ worry and anxiety worthwhile. Democrats are left with nothing to show for their tens of
millions of dollars and full-court press. It signifies that nothing about the current faux-scandal-ridden environment has produced a downdraft for Republicans.

I dunno. I haven't heard much from or about her for awhile...not even sure if she's got the nomination yet.

As from the green papers, she was picked by convention already and can generically campaign until the GOP primary 8/15.

The web sites of the 3 GOPs can be accessed from that same green papers link. I'll go with Herrod to win at this point.

Trumps poll numbers are the actual national referendum.

Last week his approval rating had plummeted down to 36% -- an historical low for a new president at this point in his first term.

The NYT article says that Handel got most of her money from outside party committees and Super Pacs.

"...Although Mr. Ossoff’s campaign far outraised Ms. Handel’s, she had much more outside support from party committees and “super PACs.” These groups spent more than $25 million on the race, primarily on advertising against the other side...."​

So while Ossoff's campaign received more from individual donors from outside the state....and Handel got most of her funding from outside committees and super PACs....they both seemed to receive and spend about the same.

So the 6 times thing didn't impress you. Okay.

So the 6 times thing didn't impress you. Okay.

I dunno...

Ossof's campaign raised $23.6 million from individual donors...plus $7.6 million from PACs = $31.4 million

Handel's campaign raised $8.3 million from individual donors...plus $18.2 million from PACs = $26.5 million

Is that the "6 times thing" you speak of?

Do you have any actual evidence from the ground in each of these four congressional special elections that the campaigns there were indeed about a referendum on Trump?

I AM NOT talking about national media talking heads trying to fill air time with speculation. I am asking if you have actual evidence from the actual campaigns of the actual candidates that they turned them into a referendum about Trump?
The MSM wants it to be a referendum on TRUMP until he wins. They dont want to birw it as a referendum on the DNC. That would be counter productive to their agenda. Truth is that its a little bit of both and a little bit of neither.

Generally voters vote for their self-interests. If they think one guy will benefit them more than the other they eill cross party lines. If they think one party benefits them more than the other they will vote party line.

Many times its just a question of who has the stronger ground game.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I dunno...

Ossof's campaign raised $23.6 million from individual donors...plus $7.6 million from PACs = $31.4 million

Handel's campaign raised $8.3 million from individual donors...plus $18.2 million from PACs = $26.5 million

Is that the "6 times thing" you speak of?

Talking about the campaigns, and not the PACs. Handel raised and spent 4.5 million. Ossoff raised and spent 23.6.

Back
Top Bottom