• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Four Referendums On Donald Trump

Are Trump Supporters Tired Of All This Winning?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

reinoe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Trump has faced four "special referendums" after he dethroned Queen Hillary. And Republicans are 4-0 in all of them. Are Trump supporters tired of winning? I don't think so. And I bet Trump haters aren't tired of losing.

Trump has faced four "special referendums" after he dethroned Queen Hillary. And Republicans are 4-0 in all of them. Are Trump supporters tired of winning? I don't think so. And I bet Trump haters aren't tired of losing.

Do you have any actual evidence from the ground in each of these four congressional special elections that the campaigns there were indeed about a referendum on Trump?

I AM NOT talking about national media talking heads trying to fill air time with speculation. I am asking if you have actual evidence from the actual campaigns of the actual candidates that they turned them into a referendum about Trump?

Do you have any actual evidence from the ground in each of these four congressional special elections that the campaigns there were indeed about a referendum on Trump?

I AM NOT talking about national media talking heads trying to fill air time with speculation. I am asking if you have actual evidence from the actual campaigns of the actual candidates that they turned them into a referendum about Trump?
The MSM said that these were referendums on Trump. Was the MSM lying?

1) Hillary would had to have been "throned" first before she could be dethroned. Kind of goes in a logical order that way.

2) What the hell are you talking about? Are you attempting some vague mind-reading thing? What "special referendums"? Any idiot can claim they're 4-0 when they don't what they're 4-0 at.

1) Hillary would had to have been "throned" first before she could be dethroned. Kind of goes in a logical order that way.

2) What the hell are you talking about? Are you attempting some vague mind-reading thing? What "special referendums"? Any idiot can claim they're 4-0 when they don't what they're 4-0 at.
1. Hillary Clinton was anointed the DNC party nomination and her coronation as president was assumed.

2. Four special elections. All of them implied or outright stated to be special Referendums on Trump. Republicans won all four of them.

A close race in a dominantly held republican district where republicans should've easily won by a landslide and didn't...is considered a referendum.

1. Hillary Clinton was anointed the DNC party nomination and her coronation as president was assumed.

2. Four special elections. All of them implied or outright stated to be special Referendums on Trump. Republicans won all four of them.

1) So?

2) Why didn't you say so?

A lot of the news media seems to think so but honestly if a special election came up in my state, regardless of who the president was, my vote wouldn't be about the president it would be about the candidate and the local issues.
I would say that unless the president was stumping for them or they were involved in something specific then its not relative at all.

A close race in a dominantly held republican district where republicans should've easily won by a landslide and didn't...is considered a referendum.

In the biggie: Handel vs Ossoff, the Dems threw a lot of money at the race. Money talks. Along with the other races the Dems threw an unprecedented amount of money at those races too.

And a loss, no matter the margin, is a loss.

Let me say this as straight and as clear as possible - I do not give a fifty gallon drum filled with wet stinky diarrhea what the main stream media said. I ask again Do you have any actual evidence from the ground in each of these four congressional special elections that the campaigns there were indeed about a referendum on Trump?

Here was YOUR CLAIM OF FACT

Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post

So why are you impotent to back it up with evidence from those races that they were run and contested as referendums on Trump as you claimed?

All four races were in what used to be safe Republican seats. All four.

Plus, you guys only have 235 other seats to defend next year!

It's evidence that the Democratic party doesn't have a winning message, but it's not evidence of love for Trump. Now, there's currently a battle waging over what the message of the Democratic party will be, but continuing to attack Trump is still high on that agenda, as it should be. There's a few reasons for this:

1.) Democrats are favored by the majority of Americans to re-take the House. That's not a state-by-state poll, which is much more important in our ridiculously gerrymandered country, but it is an indicating that the winds are not blowing well for Trump.

2.) Democrats still haven't convinced anyone they have a message, and Tom Perez is a terrible leader because he won't take a stand that actually unifies the party. That needs to be resolved going forward. In a sense, 4 loses are quite noteworthy for Democrats, and may spark change (Although I'm quite skeptical).

3.) Trump's favorables are still s***, they're always been s***, and they probably will remain s*** until he leaves office. Do not brag about having exclusively approval ratings in the thirties.

4.) Despite what the DNC war machine wanted to tout, these aren't really referendums on Trump. They're referendums on Trump in areas that voted for Trump and are hardline conservative. Given that these seats polls shifted so much towards Democrats, this foreshadows a serious shift in Blue. If districts start pushing up by 10-30 points for Democrats in 2018, even if Democrats don't resolve their internal political issues, Republicans will be obliterated in the House and lose the Senate. That's obviously a serious suggestion for the districts to shift that much, but all the same, those are the shifts in the 4 districts we have just sampled. If that's the trend, then the referendum on Trump will be devastating, but it's not clear right now how much of a national shift (in the right districts) there will be. There's too many unknowns.

In the biggie: Handel vs Ossoff, the Dems threw a lot of money at the race. Money talks. Along with the other races the Dems threw an unprecedented amount of money at those races too.

Republicans threw a lot of money at the races, too.

And a loss, no matter the margin, is a loss.

The point is that it should've been a landslide for Republicans...but it wasn't.

The point is that it should've been a landslide for Republicans...but it wasn't.

I've heard the point already, and I understand such merit as there is in it. Take whatever comfort you can from that view. From my perspective, it surely looks as if the dems threw everything they had at that election - particularly cash - and still lost. I'd say you guys need a new plan. The old plan and the current one aren't working. Of course, again from my perspective, the old plan and the current one are the same plan. Hence the need for a new one.

Republicans threw a lot of money at the races, too.

They did, but as an example of just how much the dems spent in the Georgia 6th, there's this:

Who Financed the Georgia Sixth, the Most Expensive House Election Ever - The New York Times

Ossoff spent nearly six (!) times what Handel spent. I realize this particular contest had symbolic content for many, but if the political left wants to win back the House in 2018, this can't be the way to do it. I realize a lot could be said about this particular race and the others as well, and no doubt will be, but I'm not going to. There was simply way too much hype over these races - in particular the GA 6th. It was one House seat.

I think GA-6 was more a referendum on Karen Handel than Trump. After all she was our Secretary of State and before that she was a Fulton County Commissioner. She had experience whereas Ossoff had none. Handel also received a higher percentage of the vote in CD-6 than Trump did. But that wasn't unusual down here. So too did Senator Johnny Isakson and almost every other Republican who ran.

What the hell is going on in politics these days? Money just does not buy you elections like it used to.:)

What is funny is hearing democrats deflect away from the loss by saying R's should of won bigger.

They did, but as an example of just how much the dems spent in the Georgia 6th, there's this:

Who Financed the Georgia Sixth, the Most Expensive House Election Ever - The New York Times

Ossoff spent nearly six (!) times what Handel spent. I realize this particular contest had symbolic content for many, but if the political left wants to win back the House in 2018, this can't be the way to do it. I realize a lot could be said about this particular race and the others as well, and no doubt will be, but I'm not going to. There was simply way too much hype over these races - in particular the GA 6th. It was one House seat.

The NYT article says that Handel got most of her money from outside party committees and Super Pacs.

"...Although Mr. Ossoff’s campaign far outraised Ms. Handel’s, she had much more outside support from party committees and “super PACs.” These groups spent more than $25 million on the race, primarily on advertising against the other side...."​

So while Ossoff's campaign received more from individual donors from outside the state....and Handel got most of her funding from outside committees and super PACs....they both seemed to receive and spend about the same.

Each of these races were in very Republican districts. Oddly, Trump maintains a 75% approval rating amongst Republicans. This is not exactly winning games that you should not win. The fact that some of these were even in doubt is the bigger story.

I will say, however, that ever since Trump was elected, the Rockies have been a winning team. In fact, they are the winningest team in the National League. Not so before Trump.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Baseball+Standings&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I am not tried of that winning. Thanks, Donald.

Trump, OTH, managed to parlay his honeymoon period to a 36-40% approval rating, has no legislative accomplishments, is under direct and indirect investigation on a number of matters. Pretty pathetic!

Trump should spend to some time thinking how to actually go about winning. As of now, he appears to be the biggest loser ever elected to POTUS.

Last edited:
All four races were in what used to be safe Republican seats. All four.

Plus, you guys only have 235 other seats to defend next year!

I sure hope making excuses on "Losing Day" makes you guys feel better. Losing day being ****ing always for you leftists. Good luck in 2018!

Let me say this as straight and as clear as possible - I do not give a fifty gallon drum filled with wet stinky diarrhea what the main stream media said. I ask again Do you have any actual evidence from the ground in each of these four congressional special elections that the campaigns there were indeed about a referendum on Trump?
Here was YOUR CLAIM OF FACT
So why are you impotent to back it up with evidence from those races that they were run and contested as referendums on Trump as you claimed?

Handel smartly ran as far away from trump as she could, refusing to discuss trump wealthcare along the way .

I sure hope making excuses on "Losing Day" makes you guys feel better. Losing day being ****ing always for you leftists. Good luck in 2018!

Four solidly conservative districts, three of which were much closer than in previous elections, hardly constitutes a representative sample. You are aware of how this random sampling thing works, right?

Back
Top Bottom