• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Rep. Jackson Sentenced to 2½ Years

I haven't read as close as you on Sandy. Actually, Dwight is closed. I go by there every time I go see Mom. There's talk of it partially reopening with prisoners of overcrowded county jails and such elsewhere. Maybe a barter with downstate Repubs. They were up in arms when Pontiac almost closed. Those workers are wimps compared to the ones at Stateville.

Oh.....I thought they still had part of it open. Sorry bout that. That makes it even worse here Quinn fought to close it and now he wants it opened back up as they still need room for women prisoners. As that BS of a Unisex Prison in Logan didn't work out so well. Specially once a few of the women got preggers.

Can't say I have any sympathy for the "good" councilman.

Well, we still have Derek Smith running around here too. Which they did kick him out of the Illinois State Assembly. But then let him win re-election. Rather than lose his seat to a Repub. Both Danny Davis and Boobie Rush were instrumental in getting him re-elected. Even though he was a crook and convicted of taking a bribe.

Now he is still casting votes.

Well, we still have Derek Smith running around here too. Which they did kick him out of the Illinois State Assembly. But then let him win re-election. Rather than lose his seat to a Repub. Both Danny Davis and Boobie Rush were instrumental in getting him re-elected. Even though he was a crook and convicted of taking a bribe.

Now he is still casting votes.

Sounds like the good people of Chicago either don't care or they enjoy being taken advantage of. Can't say I have any sympathy for them either. People deserve the government they elect, particularly if they know better.

Actually Illinois would not be technically involved. It must sign off to use state facilities but would not run it, a consortium of counties would. There've been some pretty good male officer/female prisoner scandals over the years, plenty of babies. Btw, I believe in the Hyde amendment.
Oh.....I thought they still had part of it open. Sorry bout that. That makes it even worse here Quinn fought to close it and now he wants it opened back up as they still need room for women prisoners. As that BS of a Unisex Prison in Logan didn't work out so well. Specially once a few of the women got preggers.

Sounds like the good people of Chicago either don't care or they enjoy being taken advantage of. Can't say I have any sympathy for them either. People deserve the government they elect, particularly if they know better.

That's the problem round here.....people want to get them out. Yet all their support comes in from the city and the Democratic Party. Not so much with all the suburbs. Plus there are those districts that only can be represented by an individual who is black. Yet allegedly they can be voted out of Office.

Jackson district is such a district.

Actually Illinois would not be technically involved. It must sign off to use state facilities but would not run it, a consortium of counties would. There've been some pretty good male officer/female prisoner scandals over the years, plenty of babies. Btw, I believe in the Hyde amendment.

Yeah I know about some of the Officer scandals.....but I meant with the prisoners inside Logan being able to do so.

well, it's a pretty light sentence, with the judge going out of his way to make concessions for the babies... concessions that don't generally make their way to the unwashed masses and unconnected peons..

it's funny to think about.. but if you stole 3 loaves of bread on 3 different occasions,you can die in prison on some states..... steal 750k,and have the right connections and you'll walk with less than 2 years behind bars ..
ok, it's not so funny

You must have just fallen off the turnip truck, or you are completely out of it? I guess the convictions of Duke Cunningham and Tom DeLay kind of went to the memory hole until it became useful to use. I notice you tried to compare Christine O'Donnell to the ex-Congressman and the son of Jesse Jackson. Hmm..., I wonder where junior learned how to embezzle funds?
You asked what conviction white conservatives would get for doing what Jesse Jackson Jr did...which was to misuse of campaign funds. So thats what I responded to. Tom DeLay and Duke Cunningham were already elected and abused their power while in office to embezzle, money launder and accept bribes, which are far more serious crimes.

Btw, Tom DeLay still hasn't gone to prison....

DeLay out on bail, pending appeal - YNN - Your News Now

And Duke Cunningham plea bargained a sentence of life in prison down to 8 1/2 years and got released early to a half way house....

Disgraced U.S. Rep Cunningham to halfway house | UTSanDiego.com

Hmmm, I wonder what the conviction would have been if it was a black democrat caught doing the same thing as DeLay and Cunningham? :thinking

In 2009, former Rep. Jefferson was found guilty of 11 of 16 corruption charges and sentenced to 13 years in prison....

Jefferson loses bribery appeal - POLITICO.com

Jefferson is still doing his 13 years in prison. 13 years is more than 8 1/2 years or should I say 6 years out for good behaviour?

Last edited:
I'm saying you are... or at least you think you are.

How many times do I have to hear about the "poor white Christian" getting picked on by everyone else.

It's people playing the pathetic victim card.

Jesse Jackson Jr and his Wife are two good examples of what's wrong with this Country. Finally a Democrat Politician has to suffer the consequences of his actions.

Who did he piss off ?

You asked what conviction white conservatives would get for doing what Jesse Jackson Jr did...which was to misuse of campaign funds. So thats what I responded to. Tom DeLay and Duke Cunningham were already elected and abused their power while in office to embezzle and accept bribes, which is a far more serious crime.

Btw, Tom DeLay still hasn't gone to prison....

DeLay out on bail, pending appeal - YNN - Your News Now

And Duke Cunningham plea bargained a sentence of life in prison down to 8 1/2 years and got released early to a half way house....

Disgraced U.S. Rep Cunningham to halfway house | UTSanDiego.com

Hmmm, I wonder what the conviction would have been if he was a black democrat caught doing the same thing as DeLay and Cunningham? :thinking

In 2009, former Rep. Jefferson was found guilty of 11 of 16 corruption charges and sentenced to 13 years in prison....

Jefferson loses bribery appeal - POLITICO.com

Jefferson is still doing his 13 years in prison. 13 years is more than 8 1/2 years or should I say 6 years out for good behaviour?

Either way after you look at all the stats you still can't get round all those Democrats and the corruption and ethics charges. Sure there are Conservatives and Republicans that have been busted. But damn near for every one of them there is 3 coming straight out of the Democratic Party.

Either way after you look at all the stats you still can't get round all those Democrats and the corruption and ethics charges. Sure there are Conservatives and Republicans that have been busted. But damn near for every one of them there is 3 coming straight out of the Democratic Party.
Unless of course you want to prove it, I think it's probably about even.

Sure look up Chicago Politicians and Illinois. Then get back to me when you can show where the Republicans are even close or when they even held an Office. I believe we had it up in another thread on Illinois. Actually it is more than 3 to one odds here. Which that goes back at least 85 years.

Can you show us when the Republicans ever held the City of Chicago and the City Council? How about the State legislature? When in the last 85 years did the those On the Right ever control anything in the state of Illinois?

From 2010 even Huff Po and those on the left cannot deny it anymore.

Just last week, Chicago was named the most corrupt city in America according to a study by the University of Illinois at Chicago and the University of Illinois' Institute of Government and Public Affairs.

The report cites federal data showing that, between 1976 and 2010, there were 1,531 convictions for public corruption in "the federal district dominated by Chicago," according to the Associated Press.

On Friday, Beavers told reporters he did not "give a f**k" about Fitzgerald, adding "F**k him."

Beavers is not the first local politician to proclaim innocence after an indictment -- and will sadly not be the last. We rounded up some other local politicians who have been charged with corruption in Chicago, Cook County and Illinois. Since 1,531 slides seemed excessive, we stuck to some of the most recent corrupt officials. And since Beavers has yet to have his day in court, we left him out... for now.....snip~

Corrupt Illinois Politicians: Indicted Elected Officials Through The Years (PHOTOS)

Yeah and this is just Illinois and Chicago.....then throw in NY and L.A. any other Bastions of liberaldom. The Right just doesn't come close at all. Especially when it comes to corruption and ethics.

And those were just the governors. In 1895, a group of Chicago aldermen known as the Gray Wolves (because they preyed on the public) awarded the city's gas business to the fictional Ogden Gas Company — in which the Wolves were involved — and forced the real gas company to purchase it from them. There's also the state auditor who stole $1.5 million and used it to buy two planes, four cars and three homes before spending six and a half years in prison; the Prison Review Board member who voted to free notorious mobster Harry Aleman in exchange for getting his son a Las Vegas singing job; and the city employee who ran a heroin distribution ring out of Chicago's Department of Water Management. In Chicago's Hired Truck Scandal of 2004, trucking companies on city contracts were discovered to have links to city employees, convicted felons and the mob. And of course there was the time Mayor Richard M. Daley hired John "Quarters" Boyle — a man previously convicted of stealing $4 million (in quarters) from the Illinois Toll Highway Authority — for a Department of Transportation job. When asked in a press conference whether stealing $4 million from a public agency disqualified someone from a city job, Daley replied, "No, I don't think so." Boyle went on to take hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Hired Truck bribes, for which he was eventually convicted. "Everyone else was doing it," he later said. In Illinois, that may be a bit too close to the truth.

Read more: A Brief History of Illinois Corruption - TIME

It's more of a Democrat problem than a white collar problem. These types of crimes are federal crimes, and typically carry pretty harsh sentences. Don't be under the impression that businessmen get preferential treatment in this. They definitely don't.

Load of crap. You can look it up. Along with the Tom Delay example I've already shown, there are numerous GOP staffers, and political aides that have embezzled campaign funds only to get minor sentences. Some even taking as much or more than Jackson did. And I'm sure there are liberal ones too before you chime in with that. It happens all over, and very few get the punishment they deserve.

As far as businessmen go, yes they do. They get minor sentences and they serve the time in their place of choice, usually in something that doesn't come close to actually resembling a prison. There are a few people that got fair penalties, usually only to try to prove a point or to try to make example of them, but they are few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom