• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Five shootings linked to one gun

Weren't you the one insisting Buses were impractical in your neck of the woods?
That was to make a different point. In order to make this one buses are like super practical trust him

That was to make a different point. In order to make this one buses are like super practical trust him

You can just leave his assertions alone, and within a day or two he will contradict them himself.

You said:
Ah, semantic hairsplitting...the sign of a successful argument, yes?
And I just showed that to be a blatant lie.
Hyperbole =/= lie. English is a complex language, filled with nuance. Your inability to fully grasp it is understandable.
But some do, or are you going to lie about that too ?
So, all the folks you deem as being unworthy of car ownership and driving can only seek employment at the "some that do"? Are you punking me, lol?
Nope, using Uber to travel to work is cheaper than running your own car.
No it's not.
Nope, you're just not thinking this through
Hint: that would ONLY be true if your trip and back to work were the Uber driver's ONLY fares of the day !!!
Incorrect.
So you're saying that you do own a car and pay for it's upkeep
I own several. First car, was an 88 Chevy corsica, I bought it for 900$, and sold it 2 years later...for 900$. 2nd car was a 95 Oldsmobile achieva. Bought it for 1,500$, and drove the wheels off it. Traded it in for the 1st new car I ever bought, an 05 civic. Got 150$ for it. Drove the civic till I sold it last year, over 15 years of use, for a car that was 16k brand new. Minimal upkeep. Sold it for 3k. Bought a 2014 SHO. For 10k. And that's not including the 76' vette I restored, the 94 civic hatch I motor swapped and turbo charged, or the pick up truck I still drive.

I've forgotten more about cars than you're likely to ever know.
OK then, do you have any idea what it costs you per year to run it ?
I think not, from your clue replies so far.
Let's see, with gas included, my civic was right around 2k per year to run. Out the door. That's not a lot of ubering, buddy.
Says the guy who claims that running a car is cheaper than using Uber
Because it is.
And seemingly thinks Uber and buses are devoid of minor as passengers.
Citation of where I said, or even implied that?

Ah, semantic hairsplitting...the sign of a successful argument, yes?

No you made an absolute assertion:
No busses run in Greer, SC.

And I showed that to be a blatant lie, because your assertion was wrong. It was a lie because buses DO run in Greer
Then you try to move the goal posts by blurting out "well not in my part of town"

You've been caught out in a lie
Own it !!!

So, all the folks you deem as being unworthy of car ownership and driving can only seek employment at the "some that do"? Are you punking me, lol?

I don't deem anyone of being "unworthy" of car ownership. Mere that those under 18 should not be allowed to drive unaccompanied by a qualified driver).

No it's not.

Prove it...prove that running a car is cheaper than taking Uber to work.

Incorrect.

Nope
Hint: that would ONLY be true if your trip and back to work were the Uber driver's ONLY fares of the day !!!

If you continue to remain in denial, show how this is "incorrect"
Your terse answers, devoid of any reasoning, are actually a tacit admission that you are wrong.

I own several...

Yet for all your claims, you remain clueless on the economics of vehicle ownership.

I've forgotten more about cars than you're likely to ever know.

I somehow doubt that...especially given some of your replies.

Let's see, with gas included, my civic was right around 2k per year to run. Out the door. That's not a lot of ubering, buddy.

Really, you ran a Honda Civic for just $2k p/year ?
BS, just what are you counting ?

Also a Honda Civic depreciates about 39% in 5 years and about 45% in 6 years.

Because it is.

Your (flawed) opinion isn't proof.

Citation of where I said, or even implied that?

Post#99 when you said:
Less than paying for Uber, round trip, daily. Otherwise, Uber wouldn't be profitable.

No you made an absolute assertion:

And I showed that to be a blatant lie, because your assertion was wrong. It was a lie because buses DO run in Greer
Then you try to move the goal posts by blurting out "well not in my part of town"

You've been caught out in a lie
Own it !!!
Yep, you got me. Buses run in Greer, SC.
I don't deem anyone of being "unworthy" of car ownership. Mere that those under 18 should not be allowed to drive unaccompanied by a qualified driver).
IE, not allowed, unworthy.
Prove it...prove that running a car is cheaper than taking Uber to work.
You made the assertion, burden of truth is on you. Average American commute is 15 miles, one way. So, how much is it, for 2 users, 15 miles each? WAY more than the cost of gas and insurance, smart guy.
Nope

If you continue to remain in denial, show how this is "incorrect"
Your terse answers, devoid of any reasoning, are actually a tacit admission that you are wrong.

Yet for all your claims, you remain clueless on the economics of vehicle ownership.
Nope.
I somehow doubt that...especially given some of your replies.
Uh huh.
Really, you ran a Honda Civic for just $2k p/year ?
BS, just what are you counting ?
Gas, upkeep/maintenance, and insurance. Even at today's gas prices, the civic would cost 40$ or less to fill, and it'll go 350 miles on that tank. Tires every 40k miles or so will set you back 800$. Insurance, assuming you've a clean record, 125$ per month (if your under 25, less if you're over...but this discussion is for 16 and 17 year olds), and upkeep, which, for the civic, was an annual oil change, at 40$.

Now, how much is it just to go 15 miles in an uber?
Also a Honda Civic depreciates about 39% in 5 years and about 45% in 6 yearsUber?
False. I sold MY Honda civic for 3 grand, last year. It was an 05.
Your (flawed) opinion isn't proof.
Neither is yours.
Post#99 when you said:
Has nothing to do with minors as passengers. Read it again.

Less than paying for Uber, round trip, daily. Otherwise, Uber wouldn't be profitable.

Just checked, the cheapest rate for me to get to work, from my address in bristol, ct, to get to North haven, ct, was 48$. So that's 96$ per day.round up to 100 for easy math...that's 500$ per week.

Well, smart guy?

Thoughts? Opinions? Opposing view points?

Just checked, the cheapest rate for me to get to work, from my address in bristol, ct, to get to North haven, ct, was 48$. So that's 96$ per day.round up to 100 for easy math...that's 500$ per week.

Well, smart guy?

Thoughts? Opinions? Opposing view points?

I hope you understand you are arguing with someone who has maintained that privately owned vehicles are an absolute necessity, in other threads.

His point is to sealion the hell out of things, to be disruptive. No matter how much intellectual dishonesty, flexible positions, and portable goalposts it takes.

I'm sure the good guy with the gun is doing these cities a service by eliminating homeless people by shooting them.

Goodness. With better tracking data we would have this SOB locked up by now.

I believe there was an arrest in this case. No thanks to our fabulous Gun Nuts.

Yep, you got me. Buses run in Greer, SC.

Like getting blood from a stone.

IE, not allowed, unworthy.

Not allowed to drive
You also subscribe to this philosophy - just that you would appear to have a different age to deem "unworthyness".

You made the assertion, burden of truth is on you. Average American commute is 15 miles, one way. So, how much is it, for 2 users, 15 miles each? WAY more than the cost of gas and insurance, smart guy.

Because, my dear chap, you're not including the full economic costs of running a motor vehicle - it's not just gas and insurance
Hint:
Depreciation
Car payments (interest on loan, as few people buy a car outright)
Tires
Brakes
Wipers
Oil and Lubes
Servicing (even if you do this yourself, there's an opportunity cost to your labor)
Cleaning (especially if you live in a Northern state that uses salt on the roads)
Emission checks if your state requires it
Repairs
Tags

"In 2016, owning and operating an average sedan costs $8,558 per year, which is equal to $713 per month or 57 cents per mile..."

QED

Now, how much is it just to go 15 miles in an uber?

Less than the cost of running a car.

False. I sold MY Honda civic for 3 grand, last year. It was an 05.

What was it new ?

Neither is yours.

Which is why I don't offer it as such, unlike you.

Has nothing to do with minors as passengers. Read it again.

Has everything to do with the economics of profitability be it an Uber driver or a bus company.

Not allowed to drive
You also subscribe to this philosophy - just that you would appear to have a different age to deem "unworthyness".

Because, my dear chap, you're not including the full economic costs of running a motor vehicle - it's not just gas and insurance
Hint:
Depreciation
Tires
Brakes
Wipers
Oil and Lubes
Servicing (even if you do this yourself, there's an opportunity cost to your labor)
Cleaning (especially if you live in a Northern state that uses salt on the roads)
Repairs
Tags

"In 2016, owning and operating an average sedan costs $8,558 per year, which is equal to $713 per month or 57 cents per mile..."

QED

What was it new ?

Has everything to do with the economics of profitability be it an Uber driver or a bus company.
You're arguing that you can hire a privately owned vehicle, cheaper than operating your own.

Do Uber drivers operate their vehicles at a loss?

Not allowed to drive

Hint:
Depreciation
Tires
Brakes
Wipers
Oil and Lubes
Repairs
Tags

QED

What was it new ?

The figures are based on a good driver, a new car purchase and a five-year/75,000-mile vehicle ownership period.

From your own cite.

Fail, lol.

@Rich2018 , your source gives a cost of 57 cents per mile to operate a private vehicle.

I found a source that says you can expect to pay 1-2 dollars a mile for Uber.

I'm sure the good guy with the gun is doing these cities a service by eliminating homeless people by shooting them.

Goodness. With better tracking data we would have this SOB locked up by now.
NYC and Washington DC have some of the toughest gun laws in the country.
What tracking data do you think would work here?

That's the policy of the gun lobby, and doesn't work.
The policy of the anti gun lobby is beat the chickens because the horse ran away.

Public transport like buses, trains, UBER. Or friends/relatives, bicycles, walk...or stay on at school.
We live 100 miles from the nearest public transportation.
You expect my sons to bike or walk the 30 miles they get to work and back.. everyday?

Please explain.

The figures are based on a good driver, a new car purchase and a five-year/75,000-mile vehicle ownership period.

From your own cite.

Fail, lol.

So what if the car' two, five or ten years old - it still depreciates in value and the costs of running it are way more than Uber fares. Moreover the costs of repairs grow with older cars and the gas/oil consumption increases. You're more likely to need new tires and fail emissions tests

Of course not to someone who thinks that the only costs are gas and insurance...or that it wouldn't make economic sense for an Uber driver to charge less than the cost of running his car - to EVERY passenger.
Have you learned something about the economic costs of running a car at least.

You've been proven WRONG on everything you've posted about...I even had to school you on bus services in your own town. Now that must have been embarrassing!
And you talk about "fail" ???

Pardon me while I fall down laughing.

The policy of the anti gun lobby is beat the chickens because the horse ran away.

Or just whine to them...

We live 100 miles from the nearest public transportation.
You expect my sons to bike or walk the 30 miles they get to work and back.. everyday?

Please explain.

Then I guess Uber would be your best bet if you had no car
Public transport is not exactly great where I live and I actually worked with a guy who took Uber to work every day.

Or just whine to them...

Then I guess Uber would be your best bet if you had no car
Public transport is not exactly great where I live and I actually worked with a guy who took Uber to work every day.
Uber? There is no " Uber " where I live.".

So what if the car' two, five or ten years old - it still depreciates in value and the costs of running it are way more than Uber fares. Moreover the costs of repairs grow with older cars and the gas/oil consumption increases. You're more likely to need new tires and fail emissions tests

Of course not to someone who thinks that the only costs are gas and insurance...or that it wouldn't make economic sense for an Uber driver to charge less than the cost of running his car - to EVERY passenger.
Have you learned something about the economic costs of running a car at least.

You've been proven WRONG on everything you've posted about...I even had to school you on bus services in your own town. Now that must have been embarrassing!
And you talk about "fail" ???

Pardon me while I fall down laughing.

Aren't you supposed to be arguing that it is cheaper to hire an Uber for your transportation, than to own your own car? How does that work out, when your own reference has an Uber at between almost twice, up to more than three times the cost per mile to an average driver?
to
Do you think this is another question that is answerable in black and white blanket style?

If someone only uses a car 100 miles a year, then an Uber would likely be less expensive than owning a car. But someone who drives 25000 miles a year is going to find using an Uber as a replacement for a private car to be prohibitively expensive.

Besides...you've previously argued that a privately owned vehicle is an absolute necessity for virtually the entire population.

Back
Top Bottom