• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First Use of Automatic Firearm in Mass Shooting ?

Legal shot guns can also be sawed off to make them illegal. What's your point?
Well mainly just pointing out that you don’t know shit about firearms…

I guess I could be less lazy and just look it up, which I just did.

“The term "submachine gun" was coined by John T. Thompson, the inventor of the Thompson submachine gun,[1] to describe its design concept as an automatic firearm with notably less firepower than a machine gun (hence the prefix "sub-").”

- wikipedia

It is generally considered that submachine guns fire cartridges more commonly associated with pistols. Sub-caliber, compared to machine guns that fire rifle type cartridges.

Fair point - but they're generally talking about assault rifles like the M-16.
Probably.
The Thompson was military issue back in the day though. I don't know about 1929 but by WW2 anyway.

Probably.
The Thompson was military issue back in the day though. I don't know about 1929 but by WW2 anyway.

Clyde Barrow was very fond of his Browning Automatic Rifles, which were certainly used in assault by the Army... and by him. I don't place much stock in that assault rifle/assault weapon stuff. They're very general terms, and arguing on their basis is semantics pushing a narrative.

Clyde got his assault capable BARs by stealing them. From a Nasty Girls Armory, IIRC.

Gun lovers constantly state that no mass shooting has ever been committed with an automatic firearm. Did this just change ?

"Six people were killed and ten injured in a mass shooting in California's capital city early Sunday morning as a gunman with an automatic rifle opened fired on a group of revelers fighting outside a bar...."

So will gun owners cede that automatic firearms are very deadly now ?
Sure, just for poops and giggles. Now how many more gun laws do you want to write, that will be absolutely nothing about gang bangers and thugs murdering each other?

They like to split hairs over mechanical differences like selector levers. They think it makes them sound smarter and they can play gotcha over a technical detail. It’s pretty lame really.

Yeah, predictable right-wing twerps on here love to do that.

Always good for a laugh...

They like to split hairs over mechanical differences like selector levers. They think it makes them sound smarter and they can play gotcha over a technical detail. It’s pretty lame really.
It's also like these very learned people.

These two are probably the most famous.
Split hairs over mechanical differences. We know the differences so hell yeah we will point them out when there are those that don't have a clue nor really wish to. It's fools like the two above that think they should make gun laws when they don't know straight up.

Well mainly just pointing out that you don’t know shit about firearms…
Asinine projection on your part. I served three years in the military. I probably know more about firearms then you. I am also a life member of the National Rifle Association.

I should be more precise.

The article doesn't show a picture of the weapon, so I don't know for a fact that it is not an automatic firearm. It presumable COULD be an automatic weapon, but, if so, it was fired in a semi-automatic mode.
The brass looked to be a pistol caliber maybe 9mm. Bump fired? If so kinda half assed.

Gun lovers constantly state that no mass shooting has ever been committed with an automatic firearm. Did this just change ?

"Six people were killed and ten injured in a mass shooting in California's capital city early Sunday morning as a gunman with an automatic rifle opened fired on a group of revelers fighting outside a bar...."

Media often calls semi auto guns "automatics" which makes people think machine gun.

I s
Asinine projection on your part. I served three years in the military. I probably know more about firearms then you. I am also a life member of the National Rifle Association.
ii did as well then I spent over a decade selling firearms…

Where oh where did you dream that up at? You must of heard/read it on some anti gun site. Easy NO.
Kits are available,but not necessary if you have a clue.

I can think of a few members on here that would be more than capable.

Although I have never altered one I know several people who have…

Think Indian village’s and Gatling guns…

It's also like these very learned people.

These two are probably the most famous.
Split hairs over mechanical differences. We know the differences so hell yeah we will point them out when there are those that don't have a clue nor really wish to. It's fools like the two above that think they should make gun laws when they don't know straight up.

self fulfilling prophecy really

there has never been a case of a legally owned automatic rifle being used to commit a murder in the USA. there have been maybe two cases of SMGs (like a Mac 11) used for murders-last one I heard of involved a Dayton Ohio Cop who used a Mac SMG to kill an informant/ The infamous Miami shoot where FBI SA jerry Dove and another SA along with two felons were killed, involved illegally converted/illegally possessed fully automatic Ruger Mini 14 rifles. BTW The press often calls semi autos "automatics" either deliberately or due to ignorance

These factored heavily in WW1 right? I’m not sure the precise answer to the OP’s question but it’s got to be at least 100 years ago.
WWI did not see many hand held automatic weapons The BAR and the US Thompson SMG were not available then. There might have been an Italian Sub machine gun--most of the automatic weapons were crew served jobs like the MAXIM gun, the Colt and Vickers machine guns IIRC

Back
Top Bottom