• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First Use of Automatic Firearm in Mass Shooting ?

Not exactly.

Automatic weapons are not illegal.

Fully automatic weapons require a special license from the ATF (FFL). A friend of mine has a FFL, and a full-auto M4A1, which is a variant of the M4 carbine.
you need a TAX stamp to buy a pre-1986 fully automatic weapon. You need a Class III License to sell pre-1986 machine guns. Post 1986 machine guns cannot be owned by private citizens. You need a police request letter or a military contract as a dealer to possess post 1986 "dealer samples"

I guess I could be less lazy and just look it up, which I just did.

“The term "submachine gun" was coined by John T. Thompson, the inventor of the Thompson submachine gun,[1] to describe its design concept as an automatic firearm with notably less firepower than a machine gun (hence the prefix "sub-").”

- wikipedia
generally-if it is hand held and shoots a pistol cartridge it is either an SMG or a machine pistol. If it shoots an intermediate cartridge-it is an assault rifle (M16, AK 47, etc). If it shoots a full sized battle rifle cartridge (8mm , 303, 30-06 or 762 NATO) it is an Automatic Rifle (BAR, M14, FN-FAL)

Gun lovers constantly state that no mass shooting has ever been committed with an automatic firearm. Did this just change ?

"Six people were killed and ten injured in a mass shooting in California's capital city early Sunday morning as a gunman with an automatic rifle opened fired on a group of revelers fighting outside a bar...."

So will gun owners cede that automatic firearms are very deadly now ?

Every firearm has the capability to be deadly depending on the user. I don't think any other 2nd amendment supporter has disagreed with that. It depends on the user of the firearm to make that capability a reality. Should something that has the capability of being deadly mean that it should be illegal to have or use? Alcohol also has the capability to be deadly depending on how much is consumed and what actions the consumer takes after drinking alcohol. Should alcohol be illegal because it has the "capability" of being deadly?

Don't gangsters count? Thompson's sub-machine guns were used on Valentine's Day in Chicago.
Pin on speakeasy

easily? hmmm. Yeah they can be altered. slam fire easily. Select fire a bit tougher
It’s been a long time since I had one broke down that far bu I believe I would remember how to do it.

I assume the newer models are more complicated than the older models o worked with…

It’s been a long time since I had one broke down that far bu I believe I would remember how to do it.

I assume the newer models are more complicated than the older models o worked with…
The ATF requires semi autos to be "difficult to convert" years ago some of the Tech Nine faux machine pistols operated from an OPEN BOLT. BTW those are easy to convert-so easy that the ATF classified them as machine guns. Long story but they were really easy to convert. I know how-I won't publicly divulge it but it took less than a minute. It's probably on the internet.

Gun lovers constantly state that no mass shooting has ever been committed with an automatic firearm. Did this just change ?

"Six people were killed and ten injured in a mass shooting in California's capital city early Sunday morning as a gunman with an automatic rifle opened fired on a group of revelers fighting outside a bar...."

So will gun owners cede that automatic firearms are very deadly now ?
Well, the Police Chief says the investigation is in its "very preliminary status". I'll wait for the official word.

Clyde Barrow was very fond of his Browning Automatic Rifles, which were certainly used in assault by the Army... and by him. I don't place much stock in that assault rifle/assault weapon stuff. They're very general terms, and arguing on their basis is semantics pushing a narrative.

Clyde got his assault capable BARs by stealing them. From a Nasty Girls Armory, IIRC.

And civilian legal BARs were part of the arsenal used to whack Bonnie and Clyde.

And civilian legal BARs were part of the arsenal used to whack Bonnie and Clyde.
few real automatic weapons were in the pipeline for civilian ownership. The military, police and NG armories had most of the small number of supplies that were available

stupid response. I doubt that company sold anything directly to gangsters. Try again

But they made them...as a high end hunting/self defense weapon.

Though I grant you, Auto Ordnance probably sold to a "middle man" gun dealer.

But they made them...as a high end hunting/self defense weapon.

Though I grant you, Auto Ordnance probably sold to a "middle man" gun dealer.
hunting?

The ATF requires semi autos to be "difficult to convert" years ago some of the Tech Nine faux machine pistols operated from an OPEN BOLT. BTW those are easy to convert-so easy that the ATF classified them as machine guns. Long story but they were really easy to convert. I know how-I won't publicly divulge it but it took less than a minute. It's probably on the internet.
I once smuggled a Mac-10 across the border for a fellow Ironworker who wasn't allowed to cross. He said the conversion was a simple thing in the circles he moved in.
There is- or was, this is probably 30 years ago almost- a sandwich shop in Blaine, Washinton that is just a small storefront with a mini wharehouse behind full of stuff Canadians ordered by mail or shipping that couldn't cross the border. The guy asked me if I was going to pick up the two cans of black powder my bud had there too but I passed. I took the numbered package to a hardware store and bought some heavy tie-wire and a mile or so short of the border I took the pistol apart into as many pieces as I could, popped the hood and wired them here and there to the engine.

When someone goes out and looks for an animal to kill:

www.biblio.com

Guns and Hunting Magazine, July 1969 *Thompson Submachine Gun Feature Article* by Multiple Contributors - Paperback - First Edition - 1969 - from RareNonFiction.com (SKU: 658c9660)

New York: Maco Publishing, 1969. Book. Good. Paperback. First Edition . 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. 74 pages. Features: Savage's new lineup of .22's; Latest Products; The 50-year old Thompson is still the one they turn to; Light ...
www.biblio.com
www.biblio.com

When someone goes out and looks for an animal to kill:

www.biblio.com

Guns and Hunting Magazine, July 1969 *Thompson Submachine Gun Feature Article* by Multiple Contributors - Paperback - First Edition - 1969 - from RareNonFiction.com (SKU: 658c9660)

New York: Maco Publishing, 1969. Book. Good. Paperback. First Edition . 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. 74 pages. Features: Savage's new lineup of .22's; Latest Products; The 50-year old Thompson is still the one they turn to; Light ...
www.biblio.com
www.biblio.com
GUNS and Hunting/ The Thompson meets one of those categories

keep failing Rich

Trivia for gun huggers

Rather morbid topic

Guns and hunting is a magazine for...hunters

Try again.

Car and Driver is a magazine for drivers. But there's nothing says one has to be a driver to read the magazine.

Back
Top Bottom