• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground

Re: Idiot firefighters let house burn down because owner didn't have $75!!

No, it should be retitled, "Homeowner Forgets to Pay His Bill and Nobody Gives a Damn."

Incredible that otherwise sane people (I'm assuming here, I know) wouldn't see the criminal negligence that went on here. Simply unbelievable.

yep it is criminally negligent for this guy to refuse to pay for a service and then expect that service to be rendered.

yep it is criminally negligent for this guy to refuse to pay for a service and then expect that service to be rendered.

What can I say in the face of ignorance?

What can I say in the face of ignorance?

I ask myself the same thing every time I come in here.

please, professor, explain to us how the city could be held criminally negligent in this case.

how is it negligent for the city to refuse to provide an optional service to someone who has not purchased the service?

Last edited:

I'm curious. Did the heroes ask the guy for the money when they got there? Probably not.

I read the Huffpo. (edit). The guy was begging to pay whatever it would take to get them to put out the fire. They ignored him. There are places in Hell for some of those guys.

Last edited:

Most ridiculous story I've ever read. Will anyone be freakin' fired???? Nah.

No, no one will be fired. Nor should they be. The fire fighters were only following city policy. More often then not, when some violates a business or government policy, they have just stepped out from under the umbrella of their legal protection and opened themselves up to a whole heap of litigation. I don’t blame them one bit for not breaking the city rules.

And if there was a mistake in the records? If, in fact, these people HAD paid the fee but some bureaucratic bungler forgot to put them on the list? And if there kids inside? Absolutely absurd that they stood around with their thumbs in their noses and did nothing. Just common decency. 75 freakin' dollars.

The fire department already stated they would not hesitate to save lives. That shouldn’t even be a part of your argument. Point is, no one was in danger, the guy was too cheap to protect his belongings. He gambled and lost.

If I don’t buy homeowners insurance and something of mine is damaged or stolen or burned, should I be entitled to go collect reimbursement from the nearest insurance carrier?

Again, the homeowners complaint is with his COUNTY for not providing a service, not the City Firefighters who were doing their job.

Sucks, but them’s the breaks.

I ask myself the same thing every time I come in here.

please, professor, explain to us how the city could be held criminally negligent in this case.

I'm not talking about a court case, Oscar. I'm talking about common decency. It is a "crime" for good people to stand around doing nothing while someone's life is being destroyed. The fire chief is a freakin' idiot. A NEIGHBOR would have thrown water on the fire if they'd had it. Total STRANGERS would have helped. ANYBODY would have helped except some bureaucratic idiots who checked their list to see if a silly $75 fee had been paid. If you can't see the absurdity, you aren't looking hard enough.

Frustratingly yours,
Professor Maggie

No, it should be retitled, "Homeowner Forgets to Pay His Bill and Nobody Gives a Damn."

Incredible that otherwise sane people (I'm assuming here, I know) wouldn't see the criminal negligence that went on here. Simply unbelievable.

Similarly, if he gets termites, but hasn't paid for protection, he should sue the local termite companies for criminal negligence when his house falls apart.

And, he should sue the federal flood insurance program for criminal negligence when his house floods and he doesn't have flood insurance.

And, he should sue his non-existent homeowner's insurance company when his house burns down and it isn't covered by homeowner's insurance, right?

I'm finding it hard to give a damn since I've never missed a payment for my homeowner's insurance, termite protection, and ambulance/fire protection (we have a similar situation where I live).

Fire coverage, in his area, is OPTIONAL. He chose not to pay for it. Thus, he doesn't get protection.
My home is important to me, so I pay for coverage of these things.

Last edited:

I'm not talking about a court case, Oscar. I'm talking about common decency. It is a "crime" for good people to stand around doing nothing while someone's life is being destroyed. The fire chief is a freakin' idiot. A NEIGHBOR would have thrown water on the fire if they'd had it. Total STRANGERS would have helped. ANYBODY would have helped except some bureaucratic idiots who checked their list to see if a silly $75 fee had been paid. If you can't see the absurdity, you aren't looking hard enough.

Frustratingly yours,
Professor Maggie

What I am seeing is if the FD had violated policy they would've opened themselves up to possible litigation. I don't put it passed this cheap bastard to have tried to sue them for not saving his house, had they made the attempt.

It's not about decency...it's about taking responsibility for your actions. this guy knowingly chose not to pay the $75 and then cried like a little bitch when it came back and bit him in the ass.

No, no one will be fired. Nor should they be. The fire fighters were only following city policy. More often then not, when some violates a business or government policy, they have just stepped out from under the umbrella of their legal protection and opened themselves up to a whole heap of litigation. I don’t blame them one bit for not breaking the city rules.

The fire department already stated they would not hesitate to save lives. That shouldn’t even be a part of your argument. Point is, no one was in danger, the guy was too cheap to protect his belongings. He gambled and lost.

If I don’t buy homeowners insurance and something of mine is damaged or stolen or burned, should I be entitled to go collect reimbursement from the nearest insurance carrier?

Again, the homeowners complaint is with his COUNTY for not providing a service, not the City Firefighters who were doing their job.

Sucks, but them’s the breaks.

Well, I'm glad they're not "the breaks" where I live. Fire protection should not be on a house-by-house basis. I agree with you that his county is responsible for not levying a tax on all county residents in unincorporated areas to cover their fire protection -- and thus negligent, imo. The fact remains that good people stood around doing NOTHING when they could have helped. As to it being an insurance question, you can say that, but that doesn't make it so. Has a nice ring to it, though.

What would you be saying if he HAD paid and the records were wrong?? TERRIBLE atrocious public policy.

Similarly, if he gets termites, but hasn't paid for protection, he should sue the local termite companies for criminal negligence when his house falls apart.

And, he should sue the federal flood insurance program for criminal negligence when his house floods and he doesn't have flood insurance.

And, he should sue his non-existent homeowner's insurance company when his house burns down and it isn't covered by homeowner's insurance, right?

I'm finding it hard to give a damn since I've never missed a payment for my homeowner's insurance, termite protection, and ambulance/fire protection (we have a similar situation where I live).

Fire coverage, in his area, is OPTIONAL. He chose not to pay for it. Thus, he doesn't get protection.

I wish I had the option to pay for fire coverage. I'd gladly pay $75 a year.

This is just another case of the bleeding hearts club wanting society to protect people from their own stupidity.

Last edited:

Frustratingly yours,
Professor Maggie

Please address.

If an insurance adjuster "feels bad" for someone who was injured at work due to their own negligence, should they break the company rules to help that person?

If I was a fire fighter with my job on the line, why would I go out of my way to help someone who didn't think they needed to bother helping themselves?

Last edited:

What would you be saying if he HAD paid and the records were wrong?? TERRIBLE atrocious public policy.

Then I'd be saying that the city was going to be paying his ass one huge settlement. but this was not the case.

I'm not talking about suing anybody, Cat. I'm betting your "ambulance protection" is paid for on an as-used basis. If not, it would be absurd. If you're going to tell me that your ambulance service requires that you pay a yearly fee or they don't come to your house, well, I'm sure not gunna' believe ya'.

Same thing. Ambulance. Fire. These are essential public services that every single person in the US ought to be able to count on. The firefighters should be ashamed of themselves.

Then I'd be saying that the city was going to be paying his ass one huge settlement. but this was not the case.

I'd be saying he's going to have a big, beautiful new house. :D

I'm not talking about suing anybody, Cat. I'm betting your "ambulance protection" is paid for on an as-used basis. If not, it would be absurd. If you're going to tell me that your ambulance service requires that you pay a yearly fee or they don't come to your house, well, I'm sure not gunna' believe ya'.

Same thing. Ambulance. Fire. These are essential public services that every single person in the US ought to be able to count on. The firefighters should be ashamed of themselves.

Whether you believe me or not, fire/ambulance services costs me $210 a year. My county contracts for this with the city, and we pay it separately from other fees.

Please address.

If an insurance adjuster "feels bad" for someone who was injured at work due to their own negligence, should they break the company rules to help that person?

If I was a fire fighter with my job on the line, why would I go out of my way to help someone who didn't think they needed to bother helping themselves?

Stupid rules are meant to be broken. Look, IMO, making people pay a separate yearly fee, like a charge for garbage, for fire protection is ridiculous. These are municipal services that should be included at the county/city taxation level. I blame firemen who are charged with serving a protecting the rest of us for not stepping up in SPITE of the rules. And for not working tirelessly to get "the rules" changed.

Whether you believe me or not, fire/ambulance services costs me $210 a year. My county contracts for this with the city, and we pay it separately from other fees.

Well, I won't doubt you, but I would like to know where you live. I think it's outrageous public policy.

You've freakin' bleeding to death....you call for an ambulance...they check their list...you haven't paid. You bleed to death. Does that even SOUND logical to you that a fee for this important service should be levied on a per-house basis?

I wish I had the option to pay for fire coverage. I'd gladly pay $75 a year.

This is just another case of the bleeding hearts club wanting society to protect people from their own stupidity.

What is so wrong with that? It's better than wanting to see others lose so that you can feel better about yourself.

Stupid rules are meant to be broken. Look, IMO, making people pay a separate yearly fee, like a charge for garbage, for fire protection is ridiculous. These are municipal services that should be included at the county/city taxation level. I blame firemen who are charged with serving a protecting the rest of us for not stepping up in SPITE of the rules. And for not working tirelessly to get "the rules" changed.

maybe the residents of the county should "step up" and offer to pay more taxes to be included in the service area. why is it the firemen's responsibility to work to get the rules changed?

What is so wrong with that? It's better than wanting to see others lose so that you can feel better about yourself.

because when you constantly protect people from their own stupidity they don't learn from their mistakes. the moron in this story is a classic example. his house had already caught fire once before and they came and put it out, even though he hadn't paid the fee. so what lesson did he learn? NONE, just that he could be irresponsible and get away with it. they should've let his house burn the first time.

Well, I won't doubt you, but I would like to know where you live. I think it's outrageous public policy.

You've freakin' bleeding to death....you call for an ambulance...they check their list...you haven't paid. You bleed to death. Does that even SOUND logical to you that a fee for this important service should be levied on a per-house basis?

Why do you feel that people should receive city services for free?

Why do you feel that people should receive city services for free?

They shouldn't receive city services for free. The charges should be automatically included in their real estate taxes so that anyone who lives anywhere is protected by police/ambulance/fire....whether at the county or municipal level.

maybe the residents of the county should "step up" and offer to pay more taxes to be included in the service area. why is it the firemen's responsibility to work to get the rules changed?

A resident shouldn't have to say, "Raise my taxes." Basic services should be included with one's basic real estate tax bill.

Firemen work to get rules changed allll the time. They work at getting the latest and greatest equipment in their firehouses. They work at requiring sprinkler systems, wired alarms. They are as political as they are service-oriented.

I'm guessing this is a product of the rural south since I note that you live in Alabama. Maybe Cat lives in the south as well. This is soooo over the top for the area I live in that I cannot even IMAGINE something like this occurring. I'll say it again. Atrocious public policy.

Back
Top Bottom