• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground

Since this guy was too cheap to pay $75 a year for fire service, what would you bet he was too cheap/stupid to carry homeowner's insurance?

I saw an interview with the guy, and he claims he has insurance and the insurance company indicates they will be paying. Who knows though. I would think if I were an insurance company, I would try to get out of paying it. I guess it depends on what the contract and application state.

Re: Idiot firefighters let house burn down because owner didn't have $75!!

I know, and my point is that if you don't make people pay the fee, they won't do so. I am a volunteer firefighter, and I understand our responsibility to the community. I joined, because I want to help others. However, we also have expenses that need to be paid for.

So you put the fire out and bill the owner. Duh!

I very good point. I am surprised the insurance co. doesn't require them to pay for the coverage before insuring the house or just paying it themselves and passing the cost along to the customer. I live in a rural area with a volunteer fire dept. They have to be certified at a certain level or our home owners insurance goes up.

I live in a rural area with VFD. I get hosed on insurance because my house is more than 1000 feet away from the nearest hydrant. even though the VDF is equipped with pumper trucks and I have a 1.5 acre pond in front of the house and a 26K gallon pool in back.

except for the fact that this guy was outside the city and they couldn't tax him to pay for it.

Exactly. I think Hoplite missed the part where the homeowner lives on county property and it is the fire department from a nearby city that offers this service to residents outside their city limits as a courtesy, and for a small fee.

The homeowner's complaint should be with the county for not providing the proper services, not the fire department who had no obligation to do anything for him.

Besides, I'm sure he's saving enough tax money living outside the city that he could've afforded $75. By his own admission, he didn't pay it because he just figured the fire department would come anyway and help him for free if he had a problem. Looks like he only has his own sense of entitlement to blame for his being SOL.

Last edited:

So you put the fire out and bill the owner. Duh!

who then refuses to pay, so you spend even more money to take him to court and if/when you win a judgement against him..he still doesn't pay.

the main point is: Fire service to county residents was offered as a courtesy by the city FD...for a very nominal fee. This guy chose not to purchase this optional service. he made his choice, don't demonize the FD for making him be responsible for it.

kind of like when you decline the "extended warranty" on that new toaster. don't whine when walmart won't give you a refund when it craps out after 90 days.

Exactly. I think Hoplite missed the part where the homeowner lives on county property and it is the fire department from a nearby city that offers this service to residents outside their city limits as a courtesy, and for a small fee.

The homeowner's complaint should be with the county for not providing the proper services, not the fire department who had no obligation to do anything for him.

Besides, I'm sure he's saving enough tax money living outside the city that he could've afforded $75. By his own admission, he didn't pay it because he just figured the fire department would come anyway and help him for free if he had a problem. Looks like he only has his own sense of entitlement to blame for his being SOL.

exactly. just another example of the "something for nothing" mentality that is rampant in our country today.

except for the fact that this guy was outside the city and they couldn't tax him to pay for it.
Ok, and? Are there such an influx of demand for firefighter services outside the city limits that it'll bankrupt the city to provide their services WITHOUT a $75 fee?

umm

hmmm

uhhhh

yeah, some people seem to be having trouble grasping that concept. this guy did not pay any city taxes. so the answer to Prof's question is..."they weren't"

who then refuses to pay, so you spend even more money to take him to court and if/when you win a judgement against him..he still doesn't pay.

the main point is: Fire service to county residents was offered as a courtesy by the city FD...for a very nominal fee. This guy chose not to purchase this optional service. he made his choice, don't demonize the FD for making him be responsible for it.

kind of like when you decline the "extended warranty" on that new toaster. don't whine when walmart won't give you a refund when it craps out after 90 days.

A fire fighting crew should put out any house fire that is in their range of response. Most people will pay a bill for $75. If he doesn't, ding his credit.

Ok, and? Are there such an influx of demand for firefighter services outside the city limits that it'll bankrupt the city to provide their services WITHOUT a $75 fee?

Could be, you and I have no idea what the financial situation of this city is.

is this guy so poor that $75 a year will bankrupt him? $75 a year or ~20 cents a day is cheap, cheap, cheap for peace of mind.

A fire fighting crew should put out any house fire that is in their range of response.

bull. there have to be limits placed on services. why do you think they have police jurisdictions? school districts? etc...

my question is, since the guy hadn't paid the fee...why did they bother responding at all?

Most people will pay a bill for $75. If he doesn't, ding his credit.

the kind of person who refuses to pay a bill is probably not going to give a rat's ass about a ding on his/her credit, that or it will already be in the ****ter.

Vowell said people always think they will never be in a situation where they will need rural fire protection, but he said City of South Fulton personnel actually go above and beyond in trying to offer the service. He said the city mails out notices to customers in the specified rural coverage area, with coverage running from July 1 of one year to July 1 the next year.
At the end of the enrollment month of July, the city goes a step further and makes phone calls to rural residents who have not responded to the mail-out.
“These folks were called and notified,” Vowell said. “I want to make sure everybody has the opportunity to get it and be aware it’s available. It’s been there for 20 years, but it’s very important to follow up.”

Mayor Crocker added, “It’s my understanding with talking with the firefighters that these folks had received their bill and they had also contacted them by phone.”
Tempers flare in SF after house allowed to burn; fire chief hit on NWTNTODAY.COM

FD went out of it's way about it policy and fees. If the guy didn't pay it...shame on him.

Could be, you and I have no idea what the financial situation of this city is.
Lets see some proof.

Tempers flare in SF after house allowed to burn; fire chief hit on NWTNTODAY.COM

FD went out of it's way about it policy and fees. If the guy didn't pay it...shame on him.

he "forgot", even though this had happened to him once before. even though the city called to remind him. either not the sharpest knife in the drawer or just a cheap bastard.

The fire started when the Cranicks' grandson was burning trash near the family home. As it grew out of control, the Cranicks called 911, but the fire department from the nearby city of South Fulton would not respond.

what the hell were they doing letting a kid burn trash near the house in the first place? why did they wait until the fire grew out of control?

The more I find out about this story the dumber this guy appears.

Lets see some proof.

you're the one who brought it up as an issue...you find the proof. :lamo

my question is, since the guy hadn't paid the fee...why did they bother responding at all?

According to the article, the neighbor's house was in danger of catching fire, and that homeowner DID pay the fee. What better object lesson to show someone they're a cheap bastard with an entitlement complex.

you're the one who brought it up as an issue...you find the proof. :lamo
Not my responsibility. You claim there might be financial problems within the city, lets see the proof.

And if there was a mistake in the records? If, in fact, these people HAD paid the fee but some bureaucratic bungler forgot to put them on the list? And if there kids inside? Absolutely absurd that they stood around with their thumbs in their noses and did nothing. Just common decency. 75 freakin' dollars.

The point is that there shouldn't BE a bill for services like this.

You think that these kinds of services are free? There IS a fee for services like this, but it is often wrapped into a lump sum for property taxes.

This thread should really be retitled: Idiot Homeowner forgets to pay his bills.

and lets his retarded grandson burn trash next to the house. what a tool.

This thread should really be retitled: Idiot Homeowner forgets to pay his bills.

No, it should be retitled, "Homeowner Forgets to Pay His Bill and Nobody Gives a Damn."

Incredible that otherwise sane people (I'm assuming here, I know) wouldn't see the criminal negligence that went on here. Simply unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom