• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fighting back is the most effective way to reduce violent crime

I think they'd be dead had they fought the guy that robbed them.

Exactly my point regarding fighting back

Fighting back against someone armed with a gun is a great way to get killed>

Just this week an off duty deputy sheriff, in Texas, got killed trying to stop thieves stealing the catalytic-converter, from his truck. And that was a trained peace officer:

Just this week an off duty deputy sheriff, in Texas, got killed trying to stop thieves stealing the catalytic-converter, from his truck. And that was a trained peace officer:

Oh well that proves the larger categorical claim. It's a wonder the police carry those damnable guns.

Oh well that proves the larger categorical claim. It's a wonder the police carry those damnable guns.
the victim disarmament movement wants to create safer working conditions for violent criminals. it is rather stunning how many anti gun lefties have soft spots for violent thugs.

Not very often in the UK or Japan
I wonder why that is ?
Are the British and Japanese just better people than Americans ?

What states require CCW holders to be citizens ?

Have to be a citizen or legal resident alien. People who are on vista's need not apply.

Plenty of dead criminals at the hands of legally armed citizens. Everyone has a right to defend themselves, even at the cost of their own life.

Have to be a citizen or legal resident alien. People who are on vista's need not apply.

LOL
A fruitless internet search huh - hope you didn't waste too many hours

Let's see, I think I said:
FWIW, you don't need to be a citizen to have a CCW.

So when you tried to contradict me, by saying:
Depends on the state.

You were completely, and utterly wrong weren't you ?

FYI: I am not a citizen, but have a CCW (though in Georgia, they're known as a WCL - weapons carry license)

Plenty of dead criminals at the hands of legally armed citizens. Everyone has a right to defend themselves, even at the cost of their own life.

Plenty of armed citizens too:

LOL

FYI: I am not a citizen, but have a CCW (though in Georgia, they're known as a WCL - weapons carry license)

You said you obtained your WCL (though you thought it was called a CCW) to make it easier to buy and transport a gun.

Square that with your advocacy for banning guns.

My roommates were here on STUDENT VISAS.

Student visa holders are not allowed to purchase a gun except for in very rare circumstances. If you can't own a gun, you can't have a concealed carry permit.
What does that have to do with their fighting back or not? What violent crime did they suffer?

Cherry picking I see...

LOL

Even though you lamented why a few people on a student visa, non-citizen didn't have one.

I read an article about home protection some years ago. The author had interviewed criminals and asked questions about how they decided on their victims and what deterrents worked best. One of them was gun racks in pickup trucks. The former jailbird said that when a home had a truck with a gun rack it was a sure sign to stay away, gun in the house.

I don’t live in Philly anymore. Did my 10+ years there. Dealt with vandalism of my car and roommates being held up at gun point.

No thanks.
The dystopian utopia of a Democrat controlled and Democrat run large city.
When liberal / progressive 'theories' of public policy run into the realities and results they create, and fall flat on their faces in a most embarrassing way.
And Democrats want more political power with this established track record? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gun violence as a solution to gun violence reminds me of the old African ideas that sleeping with a virgin cures AIDs. In both cases the cure spreads the disease. Its so sad that guns are so out of control that people have to become killers to protect themselves from the violence they engender.

You having a gun AND a CCW license....have got to be the worst gun control, ban all guns avocate ever.

I read an article about home protection some years ago. The author had interviewed criminals and asked questions about how they decided on their victims and what deterrents worked best. One of them was gun racks in pickup trucks. The former jailbird said that when a home had a truck with a gun rack it was a sure sign to stay away, gun in the house.

Unfortunately, a gun in the home is much more likely be used in the death or maiming of a loved one or even oneself.

Having a dog in the home is a good preventive measure. I lived in two neighborhoods that got hit with a spate of robberies. In both cases, the only homes that got robbed didn't have a dog. Those that did, didn't get touched.

Poll after poll of house invaders or burglars who have been incarcerated, proves these parasites fear armed homeowners more than anything else. And these predators are not stupid. They don't want to die. As I have noted several times in the past, a study was done where a researcher filmed people in a crowded shopping mall. The film was then shown to hardened street criminals in a state penitentiary and the convicts were asked who they would mug of those in the film. The answers varied-generally women or older folks were selected-especially those not paying attention (this might have been before cell phones were readily available). HOWEVER, there was one guy that every single mope said he would avoid. And at first glance it was surprising-the shopper was a man in his 50s or 60s Not a big man-maybe average height-no more than 150 pounds. But the convicts said the guy gave them "the willies". Watching the film, you could see this guy was completely alert. When he walked past a corner he positioned himself-almost instinctively, so that he wouldn't be surprised. He looked confident and prepared and one convict noted-"that dude would "F you up" and another said the guy looked like a stone cold killer. They were right-the guy was a highly decorated special operations veteran whose former military speciality was taking out sentries. Criminals sense that sort of danger

Gun violence as a solution to gun violence reminds me of the old African ideas that sleeping with a virgin cures AIDs. In both cases the cure spreads the disease. Its so sad that guns are so out of control that people have to become killers to protect themselves from the violence they engender.
that's really stupid and the analogy is pathetic. there are two kinds of gun violence-criminal gun violence-which is bad, and justified gun violence which-depending on one's views -which is at worst excusable and at best, doing society a favor. gun banners don't really have a solution to criminal gun violence-their schemes merely make justifiable gun violence far harder to accomplish

Poll after poll of house invaders or burglars who have been incarcerated, proves these parasites fear armed homeowners more than anything else. And these predators are not stupid. They don't want to die. As I have noted several times in the past, a study was done where a researcher filmed people in a crowded shopping mall. The film was then shown to hardened street criminals in a state penitentiary and the convicts were asked who they would mug of those in the film. The answers varied-generally women or older folks were selected-especially those not paying attention (this might have been before cell phones were readily available). HOWEVER, there was one guy that every single mope said he would avoid. And at first glance it was surprising-the shopper was a man in his 50s or 60s Not a big man-maybe average height-no more than 150 pounds. But the convicts said the guy gave them "the willies". Watching the film, you could see this guy was completely alert. When he walked past a corner he positioned himself-almost instinctively, so that he wouldn't be surprised. He looked confident and prepared and one convict noted-"that dude would "F you up" and another said the guy looked like a stone cold killer. They were right-the guy was a highly decorated special operations veteran whose former military speciality was taking out sentries. Criminals sense that sort of danger
The other thing you could do is simply get a big dog.

Not only will you have the enhanced richness of a canine family member and companion, you'll have someone who will watch over your house while you are away, one who will instinctively know when 'something's not right' with the man at the door when you answer it, someone who will adopt your children and protect them from harm as if they were their own.

House invaders or burglars don't want to mess with a house which is known to have a large dog, there are easier houses which are easier targets, and will most likely skip right over yours. All it'll cost you is dog food and a few vet bills along the way, but you'll get more, far more, in return.

I have a hand gun, a rifle not because I think I need them in home defense, because I was interested at developing the skill of firing them accurately and consistently. I have a CCW permit permit (though I never carry) simply to make it easier to procure the weapons I wanted.

I don’t live in Philly anymore. Did my 10+ years there. Dealt with vandalism of my car and roommates being held up at gun point.

No thanks.
Dang!

That doesn't sound like the Philly of the '60s where all that great rock and roll music came from.

Not to mention Dick Clark!

Killing a cop in Texas....good way to get the death penalty.

Back
Top Bottom