• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Federal anti gay marriage amendment moves forward.

Navy Pride said:
Because you have a difference of opinion on gay marriage does not make you a homophobe or bigot becasue I am neither............

Excellent....you just changed my opinion....thanx

So, my question is, why aren't more republicans up in arms against this bill? It's a very Hamiltonian (aka Democrats) idea.

Navy Pride said:
I will agree with you on your last paragraph..........I hope every state adopts and amendment to protect the sanctity of marriage.........As I have said many times I favor civil unions with the same benefits that married people get...........I have gay friends that feel the same way.........They just want to live their lives in peace and harmony like all Americans and are embarrassed by a small group of militant gays who they say don't speak for them and wish they would just shut up........

Because you have a difference of opinion on gay marriage does not make you a homophobe or bigot becasue I am neither............

Sancitity of Marriage?

Mass. has gay marriage.

Mass is 49th in the rank of states that have the most divorces. It seems straight people have ruined marriage enough. In Las Vegas its a joke.

GarzaUK said:
Sancitity of Marriage?

Mass. has gay marriage.

Mass is 49th in the rank of states that have the most divorces. It seems straight people have ruined marriage enough. In Las Vegas its a joke.

We have been over this over and over again........The reason why the divorce rate in Mass. is low is becasue the state of Mass has a heavy population of devout Irish Roman Catholics and divorce is prohibited by the RC church...........

Navy Pride said:
We have been over this over and over again........The reason why the divorce rate in Mass. is low is becasue the state of Mass has a heavy population of devout Irish Roman Catholics and divorce is prohibited by the RC church...........
And, ironically, so is gay marriage.

shuamort said:
The RCC is against d-i-v-o-r-c-e and gay marriage.

The vast majority of religions are against gay marriage snd the few liberal fringe ones that have allowed it are having many problems....

But like I said to me my objection togay marriage has very little to do with religion..

Navy Pride said:
The vast majority of religions are against gay marriage snd the few liberal fringe ones that have allowed it are having many problems....
The UCC, with 1.3 Million members is a fringe church? Or the 77 million members of the Episcopal Church? Hmm.

shuamort said:
The UCC, with 1.3 Million members is a fringe church? Or the 77 million members of the Episcopal Church? Hmm.

I don't know about the UCC but the decision to allow gay pastors and marriage byt a small segment of thr Episcopal Chrch has caused many problems within the church if to the effect the vast majority of its members condemn the move. and are talking about removing that liberal sect.........

To say that 77 million Episcopalians endorse that move is high inaccurate...............

I would

Navy Pride said:
I don't know about the UCC but the decision to allow gay pastors and marriage byt a small segment of thr Episcopal Chrch has caused many problems within the church if to the effect the vast majority of its members condemn the move. and are talking about removing that liberal sect.........

To say that 77 million Episcopalians endorse that move is high inaccurate...............

I would
The point is that with the numbers, we're not talking fringe churches, but churches with large memberships. To say that all 77 million endorse "X" would be ridiculous. As with any group, no group follows all tenents lockstep.

shuamort said:
The point is that with the numbers, we're not talking fringe churches, but churches with large memberships. To say that all 77 million endorse "X" would be ridiculous. As with any group, no group follows all tenents lockstep.
77 million episcopals? I read somewhere that it is less than 3 million. or are you including churches with similar beliefs?
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001481.html

Last edited:
UtahBill said:
77 million episcopals? I read somewhere that it is less than 3 million. or are you including churches with similar beliefs?
Globally 77 Million
Pittsburgh diocesan officials estimate that although conservatives represent only about 10 percent of the roughly 2.3 million Episcopalians in the United States, an estimated 45 million to 50 million of the world's 77 million Anglicans consider themselves conservative.

Navy Pride said:

I would
Then you're obviously not a member of the Episcopalian church. The church as a whole endorses gay marriage, at least the north american branch, and in my experience the vast majority of them support gay rights and have no problem with gay marriage.
In my life time at my episcopalian church we've had 3 gay priests, 1 gay choir director (he was there for 30 years, just retired), and now we have a lesbian rector, we're not afraid of gays in my church.

UtahBill said:

I would assume that number includes all and any segements of the Anglican church?

UtahBill said:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001481.html
I thought that number seemed a little large. Maybe he meant worldwide, cause otherwise that would be more than a third of the country I think.

galenrox said:
In my life time at my episcopalian church we've had 3 gay priests, 1 gay choir director (he was there for 30 years, just retired), and now we have a lesbian rector, we're not afraid of gays in my church.

I think the Roman Catholic church has you beat if comparing number of homosexual priests. Though they would not admit it. :lol:

shuamort said:

Your the one who brought up the 77 million like they all agree with a small liberal sect, not me........

Navy Pride said:
Your the one who brought up the 77 million like they all agree with a small liberal sect, not me........
That's a strawman. My point, as I elucidated earlier that you're glossing over now, is the fact that the anglican church has approved it and are not a fringe church. I never claimed that all 77 million have and I even confirmed that point earlier.

Gibberish said:
I think the Roman Catholic church has you beat if comparing number of homosexual priests. Though they would not admit it. :lol:

Its really ironic how Catholic Bashers like you has blown the gay priest thing out of proportion.........Actually less the 1% of all priests have been accused of crimes.............That stat is never published by the left wing media though.........

shuamort said:
That's a strawman. My point, as I elucidated earlier that you're glossing over now, is the fact that the anglican church has approved it and are not a fringe church. I never claimed that all 77 million have and I even confirmed that point earlier.

A small branch of the Anglican Church not the whole church approved it.....The Church of England the biggest branch of the Church is against it...........

It looked to me like you were saying that 77 million approved of it.........If that is not the case I apologize........

Navy Pride said:
Its really ironic how Catholic Bashers like you has blown the gay priest thing out of proportion.........Actually less the 1% of all priests have been accused of crimes.............That stat is never published by the left wing media though.........

Interesting.

"The 4,450 accused priests represent about 4 percent of the 110,000 priests who served during the 52 years covered by the study. "

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/02/16/church.abuse/

Don't forget pedophilia.

"According to the survey, 78 percent of those abused were between 11 and 17, 16 percent were 8 to 10, and nearly 6 percent were 7 or younger."

Last edited:
Gibberish said:
Interesting.

"The 4,450 accused priests represent about 4 percent of the 110,000 priests who served during the 52 years covered by the study. "

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/02/16/church.abuse/

Don't forget pedophilia.

"According to the survey, 78 percent of those abused were between 11 and 17, 16 percent were 8 to 10, and nearly 6 percent were 7 or younger."

Do you know the difference between accused and convicted?:roll:

and even if they were all convicted that is a very small amount especially since about 4% of the population is gay.......You would probably find the same percentage in any church if it was investigated......

Navy Pride said:
Do you know the difference between accused and convicted?:roll:

and even if they were all convicted that is a very small amount especially since about 4% of the population is gay.......

Who said anything about conviction? I was responding to your post:

Actually less the 1% of all priests have been accused of crimes

Which is false since 4% were accused, and not only for homosexuality but pedophilia.

.......You would probably find the same percentage in any church if it was investigated......

I would love to see your source of none Catholic churches having accusations of homosexuality and pedophilia.

Back
Top Bottom