• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FDA releases plan to ban menthol in cigarettes, cigars

Your posts suggest that African-American smokers will pursue menthol cigarettes no matter what.
It doesn't suggest that at all.

Fail less

Brilliant! "In the name of equity", the FDA is going to target predominantly African-American smokers.
Sorry dude, but I don't get that implication.

Really? Then there should be no problem banning menthol in cigarettes.
Why just ban menthol and not all cigarettes then? Do you really think that African-American's won't see this as an attack on them? Every one that I've talked to about this see it that way.

Why just ban menthol and not all cigarettes then? Do you really think that African-American's won't see this as an attack on them? Every one that I've talked to about this see it that way.

Getting fewer African-Americans to smoke is an attack on them? That sounds like something the tobacco lobby would say.

Sorry dude, but I don't get that implication.
From your link:

Different groups of people—like some racial/ethnic minorities, LGBT people, people with mental health conditions, etc.—are more likely to smoke menthol cigarettes than the rest of the population. This is particularly true for African Americans.

Getting fewer African-Americans to smoke is an attack on them? That sounds like something the tobacco lobby would say.
It's an attack on those who are currently smokers. Again, why just ban menthol and not all cigarettes? You seem to be missing the point, as usual.

It's an attack on those who are currently smokers.

How? You haven't answered that question. It sounds like something the tobacco lobby would say.

Again, why just ban menthol and not all cigarettes? You seem to be missing the point, as usual.

I didn't implement the policy, nor do I have the data to back it up. So you're barking up the wrong tree.

How? You haven't answered that question. It sounds like something the tobacco lobby would say.
I have answered that question, you just didn't like the answer.
I didn't implement the policy, nor do I have the data to back it up. So you're barking up the wrong tree.
So you should have stayed out of the conversation since you have nothing to do with it and you don't understand the data.

I have answered that question, you just didn't like the answer.

No, you didn't. Taking menthol away from cigarettes is in no way an "attack" on anyone but the tobacco industry.

So you should have stayed out of the conversation since you have nothing to do with it and you don't understand the data.

You're the one who started this race-baiting thread without any burden of proof supplied.

Exactly. There are hardly any nefarious underground markets supplying illegal (aka federally banned) recreational drugs. ;)
No shit. I read his comment like five times and still couldn't believe my eyes.

Reactions: lwf

Oh well, if every one you talked to sees it as an attack on them, it must be true!

The government banned lawn darts back in the 1980s. That must have been an attack on everyone who used them.

The FDA has been researching menthol products since 2013. 11 years. You and your black friends think this was started 11 years ago to attack black people?

Lots of black people probably used lead paint too. We should not have banned it because it was an attack on those black people!

And, in the process, drive the creation of a black market that will get (brown and black) people arrested, incarcerated, and (in the course of the former) subjected to uses of force that the folks currently in power claim are so bad and over trivial matters.

One can't help but wonder why they are creating more trivial matters, and what they expect to be done when people break these new regulations.

According to the article they will not be enforcing it against people.

The FDA noted that it cannot and will not enforce against individual consumers for the possession or use of menthol cigarettes or flavored cigars.

Should the rules be finalized and implemented, FDA enforcement will only address manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, importers and retailers who manufacture, distribute or sell such products within the U.S. that are not in compliance with applicable requirements.

Notably, state and local law enforcement agencies do not independently enforce the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and do not – and cannot – take enforcement actions against any violation of FDA’s tobacco authorities, including its regulations, on the FDA’s behalf.

Phys251 wants to follow it up with more policing in Black neighborhoods to get fewer African-Americans to commit crimes.

Safety first!

According to the article they will not be enforcing it against people.

" manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, importers and retailers who manufacture, distribute or sell such products within the U.S. that are not in compliance with applicable requirements." are people. Hundreds of thousands of people.

And, in the process, drive the creation of a black market that will get (brown and black) people arrested, incarcerated, and (in the course of the former) subjected to uses of force that the folks currently in power claim are so bad and over trivial matters.

One can't help but wonder why they are creating more trivial matters, and what they expect to be done when people break these new regulations.
Not really, because no one has the production capacity to offer menthol cigarettes, a mass produced product, for public sale. Maybe if menthols are still sold in Canada or Mexico people will bring them back and smugglers will fill car trunks of them, but it won’t be a mass business

Back
Top Bottom