• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FDA releases plan to ban menthol in cigarettes, cigars

The passages did not say what the OP claimed they said. This is not about equity and targeting African-American smokers. And you know it.
Again, tell me you didn't read the article without telling me you didn't read the article.

Again, tell me you didn't read the article without telling me you didn't read the article.

The ban is not about "equity". The ban is not about "targeting African Americans". You don't need to tell me you have no idea what this is about, or the fact that the government has been trying to ban menthol since 2013.

And you know it.

The ban is not about "equity". The ban is not about "targeting African Americans". You don't need to tell me you have no idea what this is about, or the fact that the government has been trying to ban menthol since 2013.

And you know it.

What you wish to ignore is the disparate impact on current adult smokers. I am sure that the intent is to target younger (than legal age?) smokers, hoping that fewer will start smoking.

More than half (54%) of youth ages 12-17 years who smoke use menthol cigarettes.
  • That percentage is higher than the percentage of adults 18 and older who smoke menthol cigarettes.
  • A nationwide study showed that among smokers who started smoking as young adults (over age 18), a majority first started smoking using menthol cigarettes.

And you know it.
Do you disagree that the definition of institutionalized racism is when a law, policy, or rule by the government or authoritative institution negatively impacts individuals disproportionately based on race?

Do you disagree that the definition of institutionalized racism is when a law, policy, or rule by the government or authoritative institution negatively impacts individuals disproportionately based on race?

Trying to stop people from getting cancer is "negatively impacting" individuals? You want them to die of cancer, don't you.

And, in the process, drive the creation of a black market that will get (brown and black) people arrested, incarcerated, and (in the course of the former) subjected to uses of force that the folks currently in power claim are so bad and over trivial matters.

One can't help but wonder why they are creating more trivial matters, and what they expect to be done when people break these new regulations.

Really?

Do you imagine a nefarious underground in illegal menthol cigarettes??????

Brilliant! "In the name of equity", the FDA is going to target predominantly African-American smokers.

How is this constitutional? How exactly can the federal govt ban a company from adding a flavor that adults like to a product that adults can legally use?

How is this constitutional? How exactly can the federal govt ban a company from adding a flavor that adults like to a product that adults can legally use?

The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, signed into law on June 22, 2009, gave the FDA this authority.

Hmm… do you suppose that there should be limits on what the federal power to regulate interstate commerce means? After all, this is from the FDA and tobacco is a recreational drug, so the FDA must be able to dictate its allowable (and disallowable) ingredients. ;)

Clearly the FDA only wants to bomb the northern half of the (New) Yalu River Bridge.

Hmm… do you suppose that there should be limits on what the federal power to regulate interstate commerce means? After all, this is from the FDA and tobacco is a recreational drug, so the FDA must be able to dictate its allowable (and disallowable) ingredients. ;)

Seems pretty obvious that the power to regulate trade does not mean the power to tell people what they can and can not smoke.

The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, signed into law on June 22, 2009, gave the FDA this authority.

Maybe, and maybe not - see bolded below. I expect a lawsuit over this one.

The Tobacco Control Act gives FDA authority to help protect the public and create a healthier future for all Americans. For example, the Tobacco Control Act:

• Requires tobacco company owners and operators to register annually and open their manufacturing and processing facilities to be subject to inspection by FDA every two years.
  • Allows FDA to implement standards for tobacco products to protect public health. For example, FDA has the authority to regulate nicotine and ingredient levels.
  • Bans cigarettes with characterizing flavors, except menthol and tobacco.
  • Funds FDA regulation of tobacco products through a user fee on the manufacturers of certain tobacco products sold in the United States, based on their U.S. market share.

The Tobacco Control Act does not:​

The law makes clear that FDA's role is to regulate and protect the public health, but it places a few restrictions on FDA's powers. FDA cannot:

• Require prescriptions to purchase tobacco products.
  • Require the reduction of nicotine yields to zero.
  • Ban face-to-face sales in a particular category of retail outlets.
  • Ban certain classes of tobacco products.

I must have missed the references to "in the name of equity" and "African American smokers" in the link.
It was a comment from fox news. It was not made by the FDA. In other words, it's fox playing the race card.

Menthol has particularly high rates of use by youth, young adults and African Americans and other racial and ethnic groups.

It was a comment from fox news. It was not made by the FDA. In other words, it's fox playing the race card.
The equity part was a quote from the FDA. The fact that African-Americans are the largest ethnic group of menthol smokers is a fact, not Fox News playing any race card.

Fail less

i know it's not possible but i would love to know how many humans have died from tobacco AND how many years of life that tobacco has cost all humans since the beginning.

Brilliant! "In the name of equity", the FDA is going to target predominantly African-American smokers.

Your posts suggest that African-American smokers will pursue menthol cigarettes no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom