• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FDA releases plan to ban menthol in cigarettes, cigars

If tobacco is the danger, why don't they ban that instead?
And that's the goal, isn't it? Tax it to the moon. Ban it in certain places. Then try taking a smidge away. And once the camel gets his nose under the tent, he's in.
It will be good for entrepreneurship. :p

Perception is reality for a lot of people.

Just like you see anyone who doesn't share some of the ridiculous views you take as "Trumpists", "Trump panty sniffers" or any other stupid term you and the rest of the leftist trash so *cough* eloquently *cough* like to use, it's your perception that they are, even if it's dead wrong. As usual, you fail to see the big picture, yet again.

Many black people have the perception that banning menthol flavored cigarettes is targeting them. Since they are the highest percentage of menthol smokers, I can see how they come to this conclusion, right or wrong. It doesn't matter what you think of the menthol ban and it doesn't matter what I think of the menthol ban. You're set in your own views and I'm set on mine. You see this as the government "protecting people from themselves" and I see it as the government overreaching, yet again. Menthol flavor isn't the issue, it's the tobacco, along with the chemicals that are in the cigarettes that are harmful. And just so you know, the same government that is banning menthol flavoring is the same government that forces cigarette manufacturers to put even more harmful chemicals in them.

Your stupid lawn dart analogy would only work if they had only banned a certain color (or flavor, to make the analogy come anywhere close to making sense) of lawn darts. The same can be said of your dumb lead paint analogy. Again, your failure to see the big picture has exposed your ridiculous views as lacking anything resembling common sense.
/like

I am against smoking and think that more should be done for smoking cessation, but with that said...I am against making items illegal, even if they are harmful. We can see the disastrous results of making illicit drugs illegal. Alcohol was also a disaster to make illegal.

wow! so defensive of the conservative.
I've seen a lot of bizarre and abnormal behavior from conservatives over the past few years. I wouldnt be suprised that there's a segment of conservatives that wouldnt mind seeing a few dead African Americans from smoking.
Yes I can’t imagine why a conservative would get defensive in response to your BS claim that conservatives would rather see African Americans die of lung cancer then vote. Nothing there to be offended by.

Frankly this is a nutless proposition from the government. It's a feel-good measure that will change nothing. If the government had any balls they'd ban cigarettes outright. They want to say they're concerned with people's health. First-hand and second-hand smoke are estimated to kill just below half a million people per year. But will they ban cigarettes? No. They wanted to ban vape saying they were concerned that vape was killing people. But if vape kills people it's exponentially less than cigarettes do. But will they ban cigarettes? No. Why? Because the tobacco lobby lines a lot of pockets handsomely. You'll never get politicians to act against their own bank account. Plus we know prohibition doesn't work. So this menthol thing will very likely do nothing to move the needle on tobacco revenues and cigarette deaths.
The keep the tobacco industries around as the boogieman to sue and extra hundred of millions out of from time to time. The tobacco lobby also contributes. ;)

"the actions have the potential to significantly reduce disease and death." That's some trick, possibly significantly reducing disease and death while still allowing significant disease and death. Banning the smoking products altogether due to its long known hazards to health is the only real solution.

It's just plain stupid, is what it is. The reason people are addicted to cigarettes is the nicotine, the reason people choose menthol over regular is because of the flavor. As a former smoker, let me tell you what... when the Menthol is taken off the shelf people will get used to the lack of menthol way easier than they will a lack of nicotine.

This is like trying to stop drunk driving by banning pale ales.

Worse, really, because their selected ban is racially targeted.

you and the rest of the leftist trash

Well isn't that interesting. The super administrator of this board just called me "leftist trash". A personal attack. A dumb one too, since I'm not a leftist, but do I gather that it's okay for you to personally attack me for no reason? What kind of trash would I be allowed to call you on here?

Trump, Trump, Trump...nobody mentioned Trump but you. Is your thread about Trump?

There are many kinds of paint. Lead paint was one of them. It was banned. If black people used it, by your assessment, it would have been an attack against them.

Your failure to do anything but attack me instead of my post, and your inability to think before you posted about the lead paint, tell me everything I need to know here.

But on a positive note, your post did get Trix all hot.

Some people can only "debate" by repeating what they have already said while insulting the person they are repeating it at.

wow! so defensive of the conservative.
I've seen a lot of bizarre and abnormal behavior from conservatives over the past few years. I wouldnt be suprised that there's a segment of conservatives that wouldnt mind seeing a few dead African Americans from smoking.
Liberals kill thousands of black babies every year.

Exactly, this is so stupid. Is the menthol some special bad over a cigarette in general? It's like the stupid shit about wanting to ban flavored e cigarettes because kids might get it.

Reactions: lwf
Too much money in it?

Those tobacco companies make a ton of money selling their products internationally in countries with way less regulation, including via stands literally right next to schools, and in single-cigarette amounts to get the kids hooked.

Because that would punish white people too. Like voting id and vaccine card requirements, these rules are tailored to punish minorities.

Back
Top Bottom