• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fatty tumors on dogs

Tying family members to trees and hugging them must be one of those weird Southern traditions...��

Depends, mine was on a 50' light chain a few times with a circular metal hoop that went around the base of the tree.
That said, its was becasue we didnt have a fence up at that house yet and we never left him out there alone. He was always within reach of us. Our house backed up to a canal as well and I didnt want him to become gator lunch.
People that tie a dog to a tree out side all day all night should be tied to a tree all day all night.

I had a nine year old Rottie. She had a weak colon which eventually ruptured. It cost seven grand to operate. The repair didn't work. They tried to fix her again for another seven grand. She died. I would have done it again back then but I've learned that fourteen grand is a lot to pay for a dead dog and I don't think I'd do it again.

We got another Rottie to replace the one who died. She has health insurance. It's not that expensive.

I had a collie who got cancer in the lower jaw; a few thousand later, the cancer and half the lower jaw were gone. Totally worth it. He lasted another couple years. But everyone has to make the decision that's right for them in these cases. We were lucky with the success of the operation.

The vet said most people in those cases choose not to have the surgery; he was glad to see the success because he now had more data for other people in that position.

I had a collie who got cancer in the lower jaw; a few thousand later, the cancer and half the lower jaw were gone. Totally worth it. He lasted another couple years. But everyone has to make the decision that's right for them in these cases. We were lucky with the success of the operation.

The vet said most people in those cases choose not to have the surgery; he was glad to see the success because he now had more data for other people in that position.

It's always sad when you lose a dog because of suffering unbelievable pain..they are the lucky ones..humans don't have the same courtesy!

I just had my black lab put down. He was 14 and hips just finally gave out.
He had no fatty tumors (deposits) but I have seen that and the vet is right. Unless they become a hinderence to his bowl movements are make it hard for him to get up and down. I would just keep an eye on them.
9 is kinda old to start going through surgery. But it depends on his overall health.
I will say 100 lbs is a BIG lab. Mine at his heaviest was 75.
I would make sure his body fat index is right, as he gets older in the next few years that weight will really start to kill those hips.
If you can get any weight off him now, it would be a good idea.
Good luck and love him, because you only have a few more good years with him.

Sorry for your loss - it's never easy - my dog is 11 and a half and slowing down so she'll soon by my 7th dog to put to sleep and it never gets any easier.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375465422433.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375465422433.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 15
I just had my black lab put down. He was 14 and hips just finally gave out.
He had no fatty tumors (deposits) but I have seen that and the vet is right. Unless they become a hinderence to his bowl movements are make it hard for him to get up and down. I would just keep an eye on them.
9 is kinda old to start going through surgery. But it depends on his overall health.
I will say 100 lbs is a BIG lab. Mine at his heaviest was 75.
I would make sure his body fat index is right, as he gets older in the next few years that weight will really start to kill those hips.
If you can get any weight off him now, it would be a good idea.
Good luck and love him, because you only have a few more good years with him.

I remember your post and had to add to it.

Our 9 yr old Rottie Mix had not been himself the last couple weeks. Couple times did not eat his food and wasn't as active. So wife took him to the vet yesterday and after labs and Xray we found out he had cancer throughout his lungs, spleen, kidneys, and stomach. His blood count was 50% what it is usually for a dog. The vet said he could probably die in couple days or the most couple weeks. I did not expect this. I thought maybe he had a virus or a blockage but this was so extreme and we had no idea. A dog can't tell you how he is feeling. He wasn't being himself and couple days he would rebound and be himself and we would think he is getting over it. No loose stools or blood in them as all his blood was being stored in his gut.

So the only real option was putting him down at the vets' clinic. One thing about our vet she was honest with us and not try to get us to do every possible treatment available. There was just no way we could turn the tide.

It was sad day and is sad again today. You begin to remember all the things he would do and the favorite places he liked to sit in the house . He was a good dog and we gave him the best life we could.

I feel for anyone who has to put their pet down. Am so glad though that we were there with him for the last minutes of his life. They put a small blanket on the floor and I got down on my knees with him and held him as they gave him the IV. It is the hardest thing in the world to feel your dog go limp in your arms but better than him being held by a stranger at the clinic. Just part of the cycle of life.

Our 9 yr old Rottie Mix had not been himself the last couple weeks. Couple times did not eat his food and wasn't as active. So wife took him to the vet yesterday and after labs and Xray we found out he had cancer throughout his lungs, spleen, kidneys, and stomach. His blood count was 50% what it is usually for a dog. The vet said he could probably die in couple days or the most couple weeks. I did not expect this. I thought maybe he had a virus or a blockage but this was so extreme and we had no idea. A dog can't tell you how he is feeling. He wasn't being himself and couple days he would rebound and be himself and we would think he is getting over it. No loose stools or blood in them as all his blood was being stored in his gut.

So the only real option was putting him down at the vets' clinic. One thing about our vet she was honest with us and not try to get us to do every possible treatment available. There was just no way we could turn the tide.

It was sad day and is sad again today. You begin to remember all the things he would do and the favorite places he liked to sit in the house . He was a good dog and we gave him the best life we could.

I feel for anyone who has to put their pet down. Am so glad though that we were there with him for the last minutes of his life. They put a small blanket on the floor and I got down on my knees with him and held him as they gave him the IV. It is the hardest thing in the world to feel your dog go limp in your arms but better than him being held by a stranger at the clinic. Just part of the cycle of life.

I'm so Sorry, CC. :(

Your post made me cry...I hope the loss of your friend eases with the passage of time. *Hug*

I'm so Sorry, CC. :(

Your post made me cry...I hope the loss of your friend eases with the passage of time. *Hug*

Thank you for your warm thoughts. Being a dog lover I know you can very well relate.

Nothing else needs to be said. I will goes through this again undoubtedly and so will you. Just remember how much love we gave our dogs.

Thank you.

I've had to do this several times in my life and I never allow my dog to be put to sleep outside my presence at the end - no matter how much I trust the vet, I just don't feel it's right to let my good friend die without me there - if I'm there, I tell myself that they feel it's just like he's/she's falling asleep like any other time. If they're being handled by strangers, held down by strangers, their last minutes are in fear and I'll never let that happen to anyone, dog or person, who's shared love and happiness with me in their lives.

And yes, it's just part of the cycle of life, but we as "owners" or more appropriately, "the owned", have roles and responsibilities in that cycle and we accept them when we adopt any pet. I respect and am proud of any pet owner who does things right, as you've done.

I have a 9 year old Labrador. Last month I took him for shots, etc...

He has two large fatty tumors. One in front of his right hip on this side and the other is on his underbelly by his genitalia, on the same side of his body.

The vet said he'd leave them unless they seemed to be causing a problem with mobility. Well, he's started having what seems to be, hip dysplasia. Not sure if that's it (he's over a hundred pounds and just a big dog) or if it's caused by these tumors.

I'm torn on whether or not to have him undergo surgery at his age to remove those tumors or...?

Anyone have any experiences like this with an older pet??

Fatty cysts are normal in dogs... They're ingrown hairs that the body resists.. Generally dogs get them because they're covered in hair....

I've had to do this several times in my life and I never allow my dog to be put to sleep outside my presence at the end - no matter how much I trust the vet, I just don't feel it's right to let my good friend die without me there - if I'm there, I tell myself that they feel it's just like he's/she's falling asleep like any other time. If they're being handled by strangers, held down by strangers, their last minutes are in fear and I'll never let that happen to anyone, dog or person, who's shared love and happiness with me in their lives.

And yes, it's just part of the cycle of life, but we as "owners" or more appropriately, "the owned", have roles and responsibilities in that cycle and we accept them when we adopt any pet. I respect and am proud of any pet owner who does things right, as you've done.

Very nicely said, CJ. :thumbs: I have done the same for my animals, and while it's difficult, I feel better for doing it, even though I cry...a lot!

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

Very nicely said, CJ. :thumbs: I have done the same for my animals, and while it's difficult, I feel better for doing it, even though I cry...a lot!

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

Good morning Lady P. One of the lousy things in life is that dogs, and other domestic animals, live such short lives.

Sorry about your buddy, I know its a tough thing. But you did the right thing as hard as it was.

I completely agree that we have those responsibilities. I've had to put two shepherds down. We all know it isn't easy. My husband wanted to drop the dog at the vet. Coward. I held him and whispered, "You are SUCH a good dog!!!" in the calmest happiest voice I could muster as I felt the life go out of both of them. *tears*

My third had a wonderful pizza treat the night before he died. I heard him struggling to get to his feet during the middle of the night . . . led him into the living room as he staggered down the hallway . . . gently told him to go lie down, which he did. And he died. OMFG. I always considered his easy passing as his final gift to me. He was a wonderful dog. They've all been so.

I think what we have to remember is that dogs are so damned stoic about pain. Think of US in the last days of our lives, especially if we have cancer. Liberal morphine throughout. Dogs? I've never heard of a dog being given "the good stuff" at the end of their lives...we probably wait too long much of the time.

I have nothing but respect for those people who help their dogs on their final journey. As a vet once said to me, "Your dog has loved and trusted you to do the right thing for him his whole life. Don't let him down now."

To all of those who have fought the tears and stayed with your dogs through their final moments, "Good on you." You are angels walking.

To those who drop their dogs at the clinic and drive away? "**** you."

I had a then-12 yr old basset who developed a couple of these fatty deposits on his back hips. The vet suggested just keeping an eye on them, and said they didn't require surgery if they didn't cause any pain, though I could have had them removed for aesthetic reasons if that was important to me (which, to me, is an absurd reason).

They never seemed to bother him so I left them alone. He lived two more quite happy years with them there.

I completely agree that we have those responsibilities. I've had to put two shepherds down. We all know it isn't easy. My husband wanted to drop the dog at the vet. Coward. I held him and whispered, "You are SUCH a good dog!!!" in the calmest happiest voice I could muster as I felt the life go out of both of them. *tears*

My third had a wonderful pizza treat the night before he died. I heard him struggling to get to his feet during the middle of the night . . . led him into the living room as he staggered down the hallway . . . gently told him to go lie down, which he did. And he died. OMFG. I always considered his easy passing as his final gift to me. He was a wonderful dog. They've all been so.

I think what we have to remember is that dogs are so damned stoic about pain. Think of US in the last days of our lives, especially if we have cancer. Liberal morphine throughout. Dogs? I've never heard of a dog being given "the good stuff" at the end of their lives...we probably wait too long much of the time.

I have nothing but respect for those people who help their dogs on their final journey. As a vet once said to me, "Your dog has loved and trusted you to do the right thing for him his whole life. Don't let him down now."

To all of those who have fought the tears and stayed with your dogs through their final moments, "Good on you." You are angels walking.

Amen - my respect for you and your approach to life grows every day. You're an eminently good, decent, strong person.

Your post made tears swell up in my eyes again. You are right about dogs being so stoic about pain. I just had no idea my dog was going through such hell. But I can breath some in knowing I spent time with my dog everyday.

The words of your vet ""Your dog has loved and trusted you to do the right thing for him his whole life. Don't let him down now" is the best I have ever heard it put.

My vet was compassionate enought to let us exit the clinic through the back door. I told her no way could I walk out into that waiting room with everyone sitting there with their pets and I just have a lone collar in my hand.

Back
Top Bottom