• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk Buys Twitter for $44 B and Will Take It Private

The difference between Trump supporters and Biden lefties:
Trump supporters do not want Biden banned from Twitter. We truly believe in the right to freedom of expression.
Biden, lefties salivate at the mouth over Trump being banned. That is the difference.
Biden supporters have no problem with terrorists or Putin on Twitter.
So let's be straight. Cut out the duplicity. Bidens bunch are filled with hate.

Take note that the left are terrified of free speech.

It really is pathetic the way the trump right wing actually think it’s going to get “freedom of speech” from a billionaire.

But then, it fits a long standing pattern.

Trump nation has been voting for politicians who promise then that if they give Wall Street more wealth and lower taxes, that the benefits will “trickle down”.

Taht was the GOP line 40 years ago.

Of course, it didn’t come true. The working class lost ground in every measureable way after tax policies were altered to favor the investing class.

But the rubles keep voting for the billionaire/Wall Street agenda.

Then, a sleazy crookend real estate developer with a penchant for getting on the cover of cheap tabloids told the rubes he was going to save America (from black people and Hispanics, per his own rhetoric)

And the rubes voted for that too.

And now that their savior isn’t haunting social media, they’re cheering for another billionaire who doesn’t even have to promise anything at all. Trump nation actually believes that their “freedom of speech“ is going to be guaranteed by the strength of Elon Musk’s own perceived largesse.

It really isn’t surprising that trump nation cheered for the mob on Jan 6.

They don’t believe in democracy, the Constitution or the rule of law.

They believe in the nobility and generosity of billionaires who owe them nothing (and promised them nothing).

They just want a strong man.

What a waste of money. Oh well. It's not like Elon Musk needs more of it.

He’ll pump it and dump it.

And he’ll dump trump nation with it.

Lol Russian doll cheers for Putin, and they all wag their fingers. So the Russian doll goes away for a bit.

Then the Russian doll comes back, cheers for Elon Musk, the guy whose contribution to Twitter are "free speech", overpayment, and an edit button...

And... what? We all forget there is agenda cause the libs have been owned? The crazy is getting thicker.

😁

This time, they’re so anxious to be conned, that they’re busy cheering for Elon Musk (after twenty years of attacking and condemning him), even though Musk hasn’t actually promised them anything at all.

Of course, they’re yelling “free speech”, which has absolutely NOTHING to do with this.

This is a financial play, and nothing more.

But the suckers area all standing in line to cheer for another billionaire.

What a waste of money. Oh well. It's not like Elon Musk needs more of it.
Apparently it's not about the money for Musk based on what he's said, and that could very well be considering he's targeted a social media company that is not in the top ranks in terms of profitability or number of users. He may have bought a company that he personally likes in an attempt to fix what as a user he thinks is broken. Whether or not that (or his proposed changes) is what will make Twitter a more successful company is the big question mark because Twitter's net income and loss has been less than stellar well before content moderation became the main talking point.

This could very well be a Cinderella story, or egg on Musk's face, but we'll just have to wait and see whether his proposed changes generate the kind of user growth that will make this an actual business venture or just a hobby. Twitter's main problem has been one of not having enough users, and who knows how much of that changes simply because of Musk's acquisition. I am curious to see if Musk can make some inroads in Twitter's main issue of drawing in new users, which will be interesting given what's known of Twitter's MAU growth up to 2019 after which they stopped reporting those stats.

I am very curious to see whether the content moderation changes will have any real change from a business perspective. One can argue those who left Twitter as a result of that could come back, and with that bring an increase in engagement since controversial figures tend to drive the comments and re-tweets. I suspect that will be more of a novelty than something that really drives steady user growth in the way other social media companies have managed to obtain. In the end, Twitter is a known quantity, so I'm not sure what will make it more attractive over the long haul.

As I've done in the past, I suggest a drizzle of patience be added to the impulse to comment about the event. Valid opinions are rooted in fact and at this point in time facts are thin on the ground.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

The difference between Trump supporters and Biden lefties:
Trump supporters do not want Biden banned from Twitter. We truly believe in the right to freedom of expression.
Biden, lefties salivate at the mouth over Trump being banned. That is the difference.
Biden supporters have no problem with terrorists or Putin on Twitter.
So let's be straight. Cut out the duplicity. Bidens bunch are filled with hate.

Well, another way of putting it is that trump supporters know that nobody cares if Biden wasn’t on Twitter.

Trump supporters certainly do not believe in freedom of expression. They’re all harassing school boards to ban books. Their fuhrer attacked the press and suggested that censorship would be a good idea for four years.

Biden supporters do not think “some guy on the internet” is an authoritative source of news. And they don’t follow imaginary characters created by secretive operatives the way the trump crowd does.

Nice rhyme in the last sentence!

Apparently it's not about the money for Musk based on what he's said, and that could very well be considering he's targeted a social media company that is not in the top ranks in terms of profitability or number of users. He may have bought a company that he personally likes in an attempt to fix what as a user he thinks is broken. Whether or not that (or his proposed changes) is what will make Twitter a more successful company is the big question mark because Twitter's net income and loss has been less than stellar well before content moderation became the main talking point.

This could very well be a Cinderella story, or egg on Musk's face, but we'll just have to wait and see whether his proposed changes generate the kind of user growth that will make this an actual business venture or just a hobby. Twitter's main problem has been one of not having enough users, and who knows how much of that changes simply because of Musk's acquisition. I am curious to see if Musk can make some inroads in Twitter's main issue of drawing in new users, which will be interesting given what's known of Twitter's MAU growth up to 2019 after which they stopped reporting those stats.

I am very curious to see whether the content moderation changes will have any real change from a business perspective. One can argue those who left Twitter as a result of that could come back, and with that bring an increase in engagement since controversial figures tend to drive the comments and re-tweets. I suspect that will be more of a novelty than something that really drives steady user growth in the way other social media companies have managed to obtain. In the end, Twitter is a known quantity, so I'm not sure what will make it more attractive over the long haul.

I’m not sure what the play is, but “freedom of speech” has nothing to do with it.

By not restricting free speech.
YOu conservatives need to realize that lies are not free speech. Neither are they opinions. Lies are lies, nothing else. You folks are mostly religious types, right? well think about this:

1650974154087.png

Defamation isn't free speech.
Musk’s free speech advocacy seems to apply mostly to his own speech or that of his fans and promoters. When it comes to his employees’ free speech, Musk demonstrates little tolerance. Musk has repeatedly sought control over what journalists, bloggers, analysts and other researchers say about his businesses, their products, and himself.

YOu conservatives need to realize that lies are not free speech. Neither are they opinions. Lies are lies, nothing else. You folks are mostly religious types, right? well think about this:

View attachment 67387548
A lie can be free speech. An untruth can be free speech. My opinion that you choose to call a lie can be free speech. The left is loosing the ability to call someone else's opinion a lie and have it banned.

I’m not sure what the play is, but “freedom of speech” has nothing to do with it.
I can't imagine that being the only motive, no. While I think his assessment of Twitter's importance is a bit over generous, it's not far off the mark in terms of influence in the idea space. What I mean is that unlike some of the other social media apps, it's more engaging in the exchange of ideas than Facebook or TikTok. So from that perspective I don't doubt his desire for Twitter to be less restrictive, the challenge is keeping the space open while having to deal with what that actually means in the context of maintaining a space friendly to advertisers if he's looking to keep the platform free of cost to users.

Musk’s free speech advocacy seems to apply mostly to his own speech or that of his fans and promoters. When it comes to his employees’ free speech, Musk demonstrates little tolerance. Musk has repeatedly sought control over what journalists, bloggers, analysts and other researchers say about his businesses, their products, and himself.
You must think that people can be perfect. Are you? You think that you don't have biases? Liberals usually deny theirs, so I'm not surprised. I'm conservative, so I am biased. But I think my ideology (supporting the Constitution) is a better one, and will lead to more prosperity for everyone.

View attachment 67387548
You think that you'll escape judgment because you don't believe in the Bible?

Yep, it's one where you have to question how much of this is "do as I say, not as I do". If he were a real advocate of free speech, he'd be less restrictive of those who critique him and welcome that as part of free speech and expression. I remember when he blocked Robert Reich, and not because Reich said anything offensive, mind you. This raises the question of what Musk's thoughts are when the company has to manage content that is equally disagreeable.

I wonder if far right wingers will support electric cars now.

You must think that people can be perfect. Are you? You think that you don't have biases? Liberals usually deny theirs, so I'm not surprised. I'm conservative, so I am biased. But I think my ideology (supporting the Constitution) is a better one, and will lead to more prosperity for everyone.
Thomas Sowell's "A Conflict of Visions" should be on all high school senior's required reading. It really does spell out in perfect detail where the current political rift in America comes from. And yes, the core of the debate, as put forward by Sowell, is that one side's vision of Man is that he is perfectable, and therefore they make Utopian plans to be enjoyed by this better man of the future (ie. Communism), while the other side's position is that man is not perfectable and we should always look to the past when assessing the viability of new ideas.

A lie can be free speech. An untruth can be free speech. My opinion that you choose to call a lie can be free speech. The left is loosing the ability to call someone else's opinion a lie and have it banned.
No, lies are not free speech, they are lies. Lies are not opinions, they are lies. This is the problem we're having in the US today. A buncha conservative politicians and pundits have gotten together and lied to their followers. Now you think those are your honest opinions, but they aren't. They're simply regurgitated lies.

My point was that while Musk claims that his reason for buying Twitter was because he's a free speech absolutist, there is no evidence that he is. He bought Twitter because it gives him power. He already has money.

Also, don't get too full of yourself thinking that conservatives support the Constitution, while liberals don't. There is plenty of hypocrisy there. Most recently, conservatives who didn't want to wear masks were rallying and cheering, "my body, my choice" -- but deny women's right to choose, who say the same thing.

Moreover, when discussing the constitutional powers of the president, whether a president has certain powers aligns strictly to whether the particular president is a Democrat or Republican. When the president is a Democrat, conservatives view their power narrowly, and when the president is a Republican, he has sweeping powers. As an example, conservatives cheered President Trump for taking monies appropriated by Congress to the military and re-allocate it to build the border wall.

Likewise, about 20 years ago, in the Terry Schiavo case, where the husband of a women on life support wanted to remove her from life-support, conservatives dragged the husband through every court in Florida to prevent him from doing so. When all legal remedies in Florida were exhausted and the husband prevailed, Republicans in Congress passed a special bill and President Bush had a special flight just to sign the bill. The bill yanked jurisdiction from Florida and made it federal. Normally, conservatives champion "states rights." In this case where something conservatives didn't like what the state was doing, they had no ideological objection to federalizing a state matter. Again, hypocrisy.

I wonder if far left wingers will finally move to Canada.

No, lies are not free speech, they are lies. Lies are not opinions, they are lies. This is the problem we're having in the US today. A buncha conservative politicians and pundits have gotten together and lied to their followers. Now you think those are your honest opinions, but they aren't. They're simply regurgitated lies.
Hunter's laptop info was banned for being lies. They weren't lies. Russian prostitutes peeing on Trump's Moscow hotel room bed was a lie not banned. These are honest opinions that have been regulated by a very dishonest and biased social media.

Back
Top Bottom