• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eleven-year-old Shoots Home Invader

yeah well, since there is only one rational person in this thread besides me, regardless of what I post, it will be dismissed

but here ya go....knock yourself out

so buddy the burglar is coming down the stairs and the kids says: "hang on, let me go (some place and upgrade)

and the burglar freezes ya know like in the movies and waits for the chubby kid to upgrade from a knife to a gun without even blinking

pathetic

Yes, and obvious enough I'm sure the police are exploring that. On the other hand, if the handgun were close by it's plausible, and the burglar does not come across as a potential Nobel Prize candidate anyway.

Yes, and obvious enough I'm sure the police are exploring that. On the other hand, if the handgun were close by it's plausible, and the burglar does not come across as a potential Nobel Prize candidate anyway.
okay so you are open to the rational, my apologies

when a kids says: "He started crying like a little baby.”

wtf...this kid has no idea of reality and that would be my concern as a parent or counsellor...he just shot another idiot...and that is his reaction....this is not a healthy reaction to having shot another human being

the intruder was no longer a threat and he is firing like he is Rambo...the kid is low on IQ points and judgement

it's beyond ridiculous and the fact that people sing his praises from that shoddy news report is just an indicator of how low we as supposed adults have fallen

the whole thing is pathetic

this is the kids version, let's hear the burglars and the truth will be somewhere in the middle

always

wtf...this kid has no idea of reality and that would be my concern as a parent or counsellor...he just shot another idiot...and that is his reaction....this is not a healthy reaction to having shot another human being

the intruder was no longer a threat and he is firing like he is Rambo...the kid is low on IQ points and judgement

it's beyond ridiculous and the fact that people sing his praises from that shoddy news report is just an indicator of how low we as supposed adults have fallen

this is the kids version, let's hear the burglars and the truth will be somewhere in the middle

always

When I was 11 YOA I too would have been proud to have brought down a burglar. For the rest, I draw no conclusions. I stand by my earlier assessment that no jury will ever find against the kid.

always
Criminals don't get a say, his story doesn't mean anything and the second he chose to violate someone's house his side of the story means nothing. As harsh as this is going to sound, it's a damn shame the guy survived, I have no sympathy for the life of a person who is willing to violate others, and especially the types who are willing to compromise a person's home to do it.

Getting shot is an occupational hazard of being a burglar.

Criminals don't get a say, his story doesn't mean anything and the second he chose to violate someone's house his side of the story means nothing. As harsh as this is going to sound, it's a damn shame the guy survived, I have no sympathy for the life of a person who is willing to violate others, and especially the types who are willing to compromise a person's home to do it.

The best course of action for the homeowner is to shoot to kill. Then there is no competing narrative.

The best course of action for the homeowner is to shoot to kill. Then there is no competing narrative.
I always was told you shoot to stop, and usually that involves a kill shot because center mass is the preferred target. If you completely stop them(dead) then there is definitely one side of the story.

I always was told you shoot to stop, and usually that involves a kill shot because center mass is the preferred target. If you completely stop them(dead) then there is definitely one side of the story.

If they are dead, they aren't coming back for revenge later. They also won't do it again.

If they are dead, they aren't coming back for revenge later. They also won't do it again.
Home owner: "Officer I did not shoot to kill, I shot to stop".
Officer: "But you killed him"
Home owner: "But he did stop"
Officer: "Fair point"
Criminal(assumed): "Well, I will never do that again".

legally, if you have the proper grounds to shoot someone, that remains whether the shot is lethal or not. Legally you always say you SHOT TO STOP whatever the target was doing that justified you shooting him. You never say you "shot to kill" but rather you shot to STOP. Now normally that means shooting center of mass and if that does not STOP the mope, a head shot is the next choice. Both tend to be rather conducive to terminating the target.

Home owner: "Officer I did not shoot to kill, I shot to stop".
Officer: "But you killed him"
Home owner: "But he did stop"
Officer: "Fair point"
Criminal(assumed): "Well, I will never do that again".

Yeah don't say something like the old IPSC motto

two in the body, one in the head, makes sure the bastard's really dead.

You keep shooting until the threat is stopped

Detective to Turtle: why did you shoot the mugger only once?

Turtle to detective-because after the first shot he no longer was an imminent threat to me

Detective-good answer son, tell that to the DA, and you have nothing to worry about

DA to Turtle-you shot the mugger?

Turtle-Yes sir, he was hitting me in the face and his confederate was trying to choke me out. I figured if I didn't shoot, I would be seriously injured or worse

DA-what happened after the shot?

Turtle-the one hitting me ceased hitting me and fell face down on the pavement. the guy choking me jumped back and I covered him with my weapon. He put his hands up and said "don't shoot" at that point neither was a threat so there was no need to shoot anymore

DA-then what happened?

Turtle-the one who was not shot sort of grabbed the wounded one and they exited out of the alley

DA-why didn't you shoot them as they escaped?

Turtle-neither was a threat to me so I went into my apartment and called the Police

DA-ten minutes later after conferring with the detective

You did what was proper, I am ruling that you acted in self defense. Furthermore the witnesses who saw this confirm what you said. I am going to ask Sgt______to give you a ride home. I request you appear before Judge_____ when he sets the preliminary hearing concerning the two we arrested

Criminals don't get a say, his story doesn't mean anything
that is irrational...his story doesn't mean anything to you even if it is the truth?

the truth is ALL that matters not everyone's version of what happened...that is ludicrous

and the second he chose to violate someone's house his side of the story means nothing.
yes I can see that from this thread and it is a crazy way to view the world

As harsh as this is going to sound, it's a damn shame the guy survived,
it not only sounds harsh it is irrational you are condemning a person on a "story", no facts required

I have no sympathy for the life of a person who is willing to violate others,
does that include the kid if he had hurt a neighbour while playing Rambo?
and especially the types who are willing to compromise a person's home to do it.
this part I agree with, but only this part

In chasing & firing after a guy fleeing with a clothes hamper while he attempts to scale a fence to escape, I'm not so sure what this kid did was legal.

If he's not facing criminal charges, it would seem the family is in for a minimum of civil legal problems.

The ameliorating issue might be the burglar himself being armed; it'd be hard for a jury to feel much consideration for the burglar in that instance.

The person had a gun and had threatened his life. The kid had 100% legal authority to shoot this individual, even if the threat to himself, was over. There is an obligation to stop someone if it's reasonably possible that that individual would go on to hurt someone else.

that is irrational...his story doesn't mean anything to you even if it is the truth?

the truth is ALL that matters not everyone's version of what happened...that is ludicrous
Actually, it's very rational. The moment a person chooses to victimize their opinion of the matter means nothing. It is pretty much the same thing as when someone chooses to draw a weapon on police, the officer has the benefit of the doubt as does the home owner. The minute this person chose to violate someone's home, they became a discredited individual.

yes I can see that from this thread and it is a crazy way to view the world
The robber got shot after choosing to victimize others, there is nothing crazy about enjoying the consequences he suffered.

it not only sounds harsh it is irrational you are condemning a person on a "story", no facts required
A story that started with him breaking into an inhabited homestead, that part is important.

does that include the kid if he had hurt a neighbour while playing Rambo? this part I agree with, but only this part
What the kid did was reckless, but to be honest that is somewhat excusable under duress and given his age. Yes it was a bad move and he could have injured others but this is a rare circumstance where we should instruct after the fact and look the other way.

When I was 11 YOA I too would have been proud to have brought down a burglar. For the rest, I draw no conclusions. I stand by my earlier assessment that no jury will ever find against the kid.

Conversely for every instance like this I wonder how many 11 year olds shot themselves dead with guns in their homes in the previous decade or so

Last edited:
This is how burglars learn.

• U.S.
    [h=3]‘He started crying like a little baby’: 11-year-old brags about shooting suspected home invader[/h] Chris Gaither was home alone “petting the dogs” on Wednesday morning when he heard a noise upstairs. The 11-year-old boy from Talladega, Ala., told NBC affiliate WVTM-TV that he was scared, so he grabbed a knife and steadied himself. Chris said that a man appeared on the stairwell, but when confronted, he ran back up upstairs. When the man reappeared moments later, the boy told WVTM-TV, the individual was holding a gun. “When he was coming down the stairs, that’s when he told me he was going to kill me, f-you and all that,” Chris said. Instead of running, Chris told the station, he upgraded his weaponry, picking up a 9mm handgun that was in the home. Chris said he threatened to kill the man and . . .

[h=3][/h]

Leaving a kid of 11 home alone is a felony in many states.

Conversely for every instance like this I wonder how many 11 year olds shot themselves dead with guns in their homes in the previous decade or so

11 year old kids (even 16 year olds) should not have unsupervised access to guns. Just my opinion. Anyone can feel free to disagree. I always get lots of anecdotal counter arguments, but anecdote is fallacy.

Leaving a kid of 11 home alone is a felony in many states.

When I was eleven, some days my parents didn't see me from dawn until dusk. If they left to go to the store or whatever, I'd have never known.

11 year old kids (even 16 year olds) should not have unsupervised access to guns. Just my opinion. Anyone can feel free to disagree. I always get lots of anecdotal counter arguments, but anecdote is fallacy.

It really has nothing to do with age at all 18 year olds without knowledge or exposure to firearm safety are not any better.

A four year old that knows to call an adult is better. A four year old that has been exposed to shooting and safety is infinitely better.

It really has nothing to do with age at all 18 year olds without knowledge or exposure to firearm safety are not any better.

A four year old that knows to call an adult is better. A four year old that has been exposed to shooting and safety is infinitely better.

You are forgetting about the state laws that say endangerment of a child under 18 by leaving them unsupervised is a felony.

yeah well, since there is only one rational person in this thread besides me, regardless of what I post, it will be dismissed

but here ya go....knock yourself out

so buddy the burglar is coming down the stairs and the kids says: "hang on, let me go (some place and upgrade)

and the burglar freezes ya know like in the movies and waits for the chubby kid to upgrade from a knife to a gun without even blinking

pathetic

So who shot the burglar?

Back
Top Bottom