• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Electrocution for DP cases violate the 8th Amendment?

• Total voters
I have always favored the idea of banishment. I know a few islands in the aleutians that would be perfect

I have always favored the idea of banishment. I know a few islands in the aleutians that would be perfect
You mean that we should dump them on the Eskimos?

I think that the electrocution of DP members is a bit harsh for rule violations, myself... I honestly thought we were talking about Debate Politics when I saw the thread title. Not the Death Penalty...

No. There are abandoned aleutian islands. They even have buildings on them.

I lived on one for three years
Not to rathole this discussion but I’ve always been fascinated by remote, hard to reach, cold, desolate places. Antartica is very high on my list of places to visit.

I thought one of the reasons that the so called evangelicals loved them some Donny was because he was supposedly pro life and a sanctity of life president?

He has been anything but a pro life president.

He can't kill life fast enough or in large enough numbers to suit him!
The pro-life movement is only for the unborn. Once born, your a sinner. So you're fair game.

Not to rathole this discussion but I’ve always been fascinated by remote, hard to reach, cold, desolate places. Antartica is very high on my list of places to visit.
It was an option when I was in the navy. Never went though

@MaryP

Or just Michael Jackson them. 😉

There is all sorts of anesthesia that can "do it".
^^^^^

This has puzzled me for a long time. There have been death by lethal injections that have gone very wrong, but since I got to be a senior citizen, I have had numerous medical procedures where I have been rendered unconscious. Just turn out the lights, anything after that can’t be felt?

I am not advocating the DP.

^^^^^

This has puzzled me for a long time. There have been death by lethal injections that have gone very wrong, but since I got to be a senior citizen, I have had numerous medical procedures where I have been rendered unconscious. Just turn out the lights, anything after that can’t be felt?

That was my point with death by hypoxia. I think death by morphine overdose would also produce a similar result.

^^^^^

Same. Only time I had a general was for a colonoscopy a few years back. Was joking with the anastesiologist and she says “count back from 10”

“How far has the furthest gotten?”
“5 or 6”
“I’m gonna beat that”

“10, 9, 8” and the next thing I know I’m waking up.

Literally like someone hit a light switch.

I remember a sign outside the prison when Ted Bundy was to be executed....

"Do you like your justice regular or extra crispy?"

Same. Only time I had a general was for a colonoscopy a few years back. Was joking with the anastesiologist and she says “count back from 10”

“5 or 6”
“I’m gonna beat that”

Not to derail...

I’ve seen way too many hospital ceiling tile roll by. I’ve tries to do the hold out on the count thing as well. One time they got me to the OR a little too soon. I got to look around and listen to the jibber jabber of the OR staff; how are the kids? What about that game last night and so on.

Colonoscopy is now a local, in my area. Can I pay a little more to go to sleep?

^^^^^

It is tough on persons who were using IV "drugs" for so long
they have no easily accessible veins.

@MaryP

Or just Michael Jackson them. 😉

There is all sorts of anesthesia that can "do it".
I don't know what "Michael Jackson them" means, but I think anesthesia is one of the things used in that ridiculously complicated lethal injection cocktail. If it is painless and fast without paralyzing someone while they are aware of the poison being pumped into their system and slowly killing them, then fine.

“5 or 6”
“I’m gonna beat that”

Back in 1959, when I was 6 years old, I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out. In those days, they used ether, or chloroform, soaked into some sort of cloth. I remember being told to count backwards from 100. I made it through the first 100, which kinda shocked the docs, think they put another dose of ether/chloroform on, and made it another 25 to 50 before finally going out. Woke up in agony. Such was a tonsilectomy back in the day; at least for a 6 year old.

Back in 1959, when I was 6 years old, I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out. In those days, they used ether, or chloroform, soaked into some sort of cloth. I remember being told to count backwards from 100. I made it through the first 100, which kinda shocked the docs, think they put another dose of ether/chloroform on, and made it another 25 to 50 before finally going out. Woke up in agony. Such was a tonsilectomy back in the day; at least for a 6 year old.

Your post reminded me of early visits to the dentist. Before they used air compressors to power the drills, there were electric motors, rubber bands and articulating arms. Slow moving drill terrified me, justifiably....

Your post reminded me of early visits to the dentist. Before they used air compressors to power the drills, there were electric motors, rubber bands and articulating arms. Slow moving drill terrified me, justifiably....
Been there, done that, Rex. My uncle ( my dad's younger brother was a dentist). I did all of that, including the rubber band thing for my 2 front main upper teeth. Worked beautifully, actually. Getting the fillings; not fun at all.

I don't know what "Michael Jackson them" means, but I think anesthesia is one of the things used in that ridiculously complicated lethal injection cocktail. If it is painless and fast without paralyzing someone while they are aware of the poison being pumped into their system and slowly killing them, then fine.
Can ya tell me what happens to the executed that are later cleared?

I've never understood why they don't just use inert gas for executions. Put the prisoner in a sealed chamber and exchange the atmosphere with nitrogen. There's no buildup of carbon dioxide, so no choking feeling, you just get tired, fall asleep, and don't wake up. Totally painless.

The life supporting maintenance of those convicted and serving terms in our prison system should not cost taxpayers anything at all, that should be borne entirely by those who are incarcerated.

Application of the death penalty should be by a default method, if an alternate provided choice is not selected by the condemned.

The life supporting maintenance of those convicted and serving terms in our prison system should not cost taxpayers anything at all, that should be borne entirely by those who are incarcerated.

Application of the death penalty should be by a default method, if an alternate provided choice is not selected by the condemned.

That, indeed, is an excellent way of reducing the prison population because those who simply cannot afford the (roughly) $94.82 per day that it costs to keep a prisoner in a federal institution (on average) will quickly succumb to starvation, dehydration, or disease.

[The above has been specifically and officially approved and endorsed by "Devoted Online Lovers of Trump" Inc. (a non-partisan, independent, research and analysis organization exempt from federal taxation that is dedicated to bringing you the true truth and not the false truth that anyone who doesn't believe 100% of what Donald Trump says tries to tell you the so-called "facts" are), "Pro-Life United Gun Enthusiasts and Manufacturers for Jesus", and “"TheFirst Amendment Rights Trust’ Foundation”.]

I will not. It is in fact you who is not doing research

I understand that it is difficult for you to admit your deficiencies.

I do not need to "research" basic knowledge.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Exodus-20-13/

“Thou shalt not kill.”

And I do not even practice Christianity.

SMTA said:
‘Thou shall not kill'

Says who?

So that quote is not from the Bible. Because if it were in the Bible it would be easy for you to just cite it

You are embarassing yourself with your demonstated ignorance and the help you seek to verify such basic information.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom