• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Electrocution for DP cases violate the 8th Amendment?

• Total voters

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

The Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution states: “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.” This amendment prohibits the federal government from imposing unduly harsh penalties on criminal defendants, either as the price for obtaining pretrial release or as punishment for crime after conviction.
A new Department of Justice (DOJ) rule could allow some federal death sentences to be carried out by states using other methods besides lethal injection, including the use of poison gas, electrocution, and firing squads.

The amended rule in the Federal Register was published Friday. It would allow the U.S. government to conduct executions by lethal injection or use "any other manner prescribed by the law of the state in which the sentence was imposed."

I'm opposed to the death penalty existing, but if it does exist it should be by some quick and obviously violent method, not lethal injection.
So...Firing squad, but probably not electrocution.
IF we're going to execute people, I want us to know exactly what we are doing, none of this appearing to go to sleep shit.

I'm opposed to the death penalty existing, but if it does exist it should be by some quick and obviously violent method, not lethal injection.
So...Firing squad, but probably not electrocution.
IF we're going to execute people, I want us to know exactly what we are doing, none of this appearing to go to sleep shit.
You speak to punishment brutal but quick
Some would prefer, not making it quick
I am against the DP, even for Saddam Hussein

I don't know why we're complicating it with methods that often go awry causing great pain and suffering.

Hyperbaric chamber, if we must. Then they just fall asleep painlessly.

Ideally, we eliminate the death penalty for LWOP.

I don't know why we're complicating it with methods that often go awry causing great pain and suffering.

Hyperbaric chamber, if we must. Then they just fall asleep painlessly.

Ideally, we eliminate the death penalty for LWOP.
What's a hyperbaric chamber? Sounds expensive.

The death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment for any crime except terrorism. Even Batman shooter James Holmes avoided the death penalty, which is legal in Colorado. In the very few extreme cases when it is appropriate, there is no reason to permit anything worse than a lethal injection.

Why don't they just call their local vet for some tips? They quickly, painlessly and humanely put down dogs every day.
For the DP with all the mistakes made. A fair number cleared of DP penalty 10 - 30 years after the sentencing
So what about those that would have been executed, excepting that a few after decades had passed they were cleared.

What is the mistake percentage acceptable to justify the DP?

What's a hyperbaric chamber? Sounds expensive.
It's a lot more simple mechanically than an electric chair, it's just a chamber you slowly remove the air from.

It is cruel.Bring back the guillotine

I thought one of the reasons that the so called evangelicals loved them some Donny was because he was supposedly pro life and a sanctity of life president?

He has been anything but a pro life president.

He can't kill life fast enough or in large enough numbers to suit him!

I thought one of the reasons that the so called evangelicals loved them some Donny was because he was supposedly pro life and a sanctity of life president?

Conservatives love babies and hate rapists and murderers

Lethal injection has been working so well!

Right to Life party in a hurry to carry out the punishments....

You have no right to life if a jury decides you don’t and therefore it doesn’t violate right to life. Execution is perfect justice. This is not a matter of being “in a hurry” to carry out executions, it’s that the federal government has not been carrying out their duties and now a backlog of approved cases has formed.

It does not violate sanctity of life to execute people for violation of the law. It is perfect justice.

You speak to punishment brutal but quick
Some would prefer, not making it quick
I am against the DP, even for Saddam Hussein
I have this position not for the sake of punishing someone, but rather so those ordering the death penalty know full well they are ordering someone killed, and cannot avoid the violence of it by hiding behind bullshit like lethal injection.
I would prefer no death penalty existed.

No, it does not violate the 8th amendment. The congress is given the full authority to determine what violates the 8th amendment and they have chosen not to include electrocution.

if executed for a capital crime you are not entitled to a painless death, merely one free of wanton cruelty.

What other crimes? Got a list?
Any crime the legislative authority determines warrants it.

I think bringing back the death penalty for property crimes would greatly reduce crime generally in this country. Grand theft auto or breaking into an occupied domicile at night should carry this sentence

I have this position not for the sake of punishing someone, but rather so those ordering the death penalty know full well they are ordering someone killed, and cannot avoid the violence of it by hiding behind bullshit like lethal injection.
I would prefer no death penalty existed.
The death penalty is perfect justice, why are you opposed to perfect justice?

Back
Top Bottom