• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Electrocution for DP cases violate the 8th Amendment?

• Total voters
So they are no longer guilty of any crime once they are executed?

So the Nuremberg executions sent all of those Nazi's to heaven.

Woo Hoo!

:ROFLMAO:
Any Nazis who sincerely repented and Recieved the sacrament of reconciliation should have gone to heaven.

In plenty of cases it was determined after the fact that however legal the execution, the person executed was not guilty of what they were executed for.
This is unacceptable to me.
That is incorrect. Some people have made allegations of non guilt that were rejected at trial and during appeal.

And after the fact, they can be shown to be wrong. Finding that person actually innocent under the law after the fact is entirely possible and should be, for example so any family members have standing for filing a wrongful death lawsuit. Of course the state wants to limit that, and does an excellent job of it.
I personally think families should have no possible claims against the authorities. We need to bring back sovereign immunity so that relatives who failed to rehabilitate their “loved ones” before court intervention became necessary can’t use their failure as basis for a payday. Society would function much better if family actually meant something.

Jesus and Socrates both recognized the authority of the states that sentenced them to carry out the sentence.

And we also recognized the injustice of the sentence that as carried by that state.

This is not a debate about starting a revolution against a state which uses the death penalty. It is a debate about having a legal system which is better at serving justice!
And having people who are convicted of crimes inside a prison instead of executing them does not absolve the guilt. Such system gives the real innocent among the convicts more time to make their case and get the justice they deserve.

Jesus and Socrates both recognized the authority of the states that sentenced them to carry out the sentence.
Two other cases where the state got ot wrong

Which side are you on? Lol

That is incorrect. Some people have made allegations of non guilt that were rejected at trial and during appeal.
Are you seriously arguing that no one has ever been executed for something they did not do?

there are no such examples, every person judicially executed by the state was guilty as a matter of law
there is no such thing. If one is executed they were supposed to be. The process legitimizes the result

All people executed by a state were guilty as a matter of that states' law. and were judicially executed, including victims of the Nazi state's law.

But hey, if you think that the process itself legitimizes the outcome then why do you resist to a different legal process which will legitimize imprisonment for life instead of executions?

In plenty of cases it was determined after the fact that however legal the execution, the person executed was not guilty of what they were executed for.
This is unacceptable to me.
No, again there is Zero cases of this happening. If the person was not guilty the sentence would’ve never been handed down or would’ve been reversed. Any claims to innocence afterwards are claims and cannot be weighted higher then the sentence

Are you seriously arguing that no one has ever been executed for something they did not do?
As far as the law is concerned they did it and got the sentence. Any such claims you make are simply claims where you can say anything you want.

All people eecuted by a state were guilty as a matter of that states' law. and were judicially executed, including victims of the Nazi state's law.

But hey, if you think that the process itself legitimizes the outcome then why do you resist to a different legal process which will legitimize imprisonment for life instead of executions?
Because the person surviving leaves open the chance they will get out of prison.

the shooter in Norway in who murdered 70 plus people will be out of prison before his 50s are over.

we know why leftists want this, so they can immediately apply their energy to letting dangerous criminals out of prison en masse.

Because the person surviving leaves open the chance they will get out of prison.

the shooter in Norway in who murdered 70 plus people will be out of prison before his 50s are over.

we know why leftists want this, so they can immediately apply their energy to letting dangerous criminals out of prison en masse.
As their legal system allows

As far as the law is concerned they did it and got the sentence. Any such claims you make are simply claims where you can say anything you want.
That's just dumb

Same applies to your positive claim "abortion is murder" you put forth up thread.

When I first read the title I thought someone was trying to say we should electrocute DebatePolitics members for violating the 8th amendment. Glad I was wrong!

So, why does the chance of escaping from a maximum security prison (which has the convicts of the most serious crimes) outweigh the chance of wrongfully executing a person who did not commit a crime? That goes against the fabric of our legal system.

Leftists? You must not be aware that many conservative Catholics also want to abolish the DP!

I personally think families should have no possible claims against the authorities. We need to bring back sovereign immunity so that relatives who failed to rehabilitate their “loved ones” before court intervention became necessary can’t use their failure as basis for a payday. Society would function much better if family actually meant something.
We're talking about wrongfully convicted people here. You really think they should have no recourse?

there are no such examples, every person judicially executed by the state was guilty as a matter of law
there is no such thing. If one is executed they were supposed to be. The process legitimizes the result
Many dictatorships adhere to your thinking
Classy line of belief

No, again there is Zero cases of this happening. If the person was not guilty the sentence would’ve never been handed down or would’ve been reversed. Any claims to innocence afterwards are claims and cannot be weighted higher then the sentence
I mean they were convicted incorrectly.
They didn't do it.
But they were convicted anyway.

This has happened.

It will happen in the future.

No.

I mean that it was determined, with evidence, after they were executed, that they were not actually the person who did the deed they were killed for.

This has happened.

He will never be released
Play around with the mass deaths as soe will, but he will not be released.

He is serving Norway's maximum sentence of 21 years, which can be extended indefinitely.
While Breivik is eligible to seek parole after serving the first ten years of his term, a date he will reach in July 2021, it is up to the courts to determine whether a release is appropriate.

We should use drones. Worked for Obama.

And we know what your definition of "Family" is.

When I first read the title I thought someone was trying to say we should electrocute DebatePolitics members for violating the 8th amendment. Glad I was wrong!
Thought it was crystal clear

Now do you have a point? Surprise me

Thought it was crystal clear

Now do you have a point? Surprise me
Lighten up dude, he made a joke, I rather liked it.

Reactions: AJG
Lighten up dude, he made a joke, I rather liked it.
Now as I have no idea of who you are, & I do not mean that in an offensive way, I have had no interaction with you.
So I will give you the benefit of the doubt to consider this.
Truth be told though, you cannot be sure it was a joke?

Back
Top Bottom