• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eight more, and counting.

Again, we wake up to news of a shooting, this time at a FedEx location. There are enough deaths to rate mention on some of the news outlets. What will not be noted by most is that these 8 deaths are unusual in that they occurred all at once in one location. It usually takes two whole hours for 8 Americans to die of gunshot during any part of an average day. 8 more die in the following two hours, 8 more after that, and on through the day and week and month and year.

Each death by gunshot, each and every one, is testimony to the fact that our existing laws and their enforcement were not able to prevent the death.

Each major shooting is testimony to the fact that the prayers and condolences of our legislators, if they still bother to give them, do not stay the hand of the next shooter.

8 every hour.

Regards, stay safe 'n well ... 'n un-shot.
According to the gun zealots, "it's just a suicide."

Disclaimer Note: exaggerated slightly to make the point.

Blind people can’t drive.

Psychopaths shouldn’t have guns.

Right. And the DMV has an amazing track record of keeping blind people out of cars. How you guys doin with singling out psychopath gun owners before they decide to kill people? How’s zat goin so far?

According to the gun zealots, "it's just a suicide."

Disclaimer Note: exaggerated slightly to make the point.

Hi!

Thank you for taking time to reply.

We Americans run the gamut in our regard for human life. We also embrace an almost limitless range of ideologies. There will probably always be some of us who feel our 'cause', whatever it may be, is worth X lives of our fellow Americans as collateral damage. Some, it appears, feel their gun 'rights' are worth more American lives combined than all of those lost in all of the wars that have been fought by this country since its inception. As Mr. Kurt Vonnegut had it, 'And so it goes ...'.

Thought and prayers...

Right. And the DMV has an amazing track record of keeping blind people out of cars. How you guys doin with singling out psychopath gun owners before they decide to kill people? How’s zat goin so far?

So that’s why we should get rid of the DMV. Traffic lights too while we are at it. Because anything else is Nazi Muslim communism. Got it.

Yeah
Freedoooooom!!!

Gone up by a whopping 3%?(LOL)

You're so disingenuous. In the very article you refer to, it is said:

"Overall, the share of Americans who say gun laws in the U.S. should be made stricter has increased from 52% in 2017 to 60% this year, according to a survey conducted in September."

"this year" refers to 2019. If you knew how to do math, you'd know that those who want stricter gun law went up 8% from 2017 to 2019. Not the 2% you falsely imply.

A more recent poll of this month, 2021, has the figure up another 4% at 64%:

2 in 3 support stricter gun control laws: poll (msn.com)

You simply are not an honest debater.

Which ones?
I'm not a shrink. Let's let a panel of shrinks who specialize in violence sort out which ones. Everyone wants to be safer. How about we start with people who have a combined history of substance addiction and issues like borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder, and add in extended stays in a psychiatric facility and a reliance on strong psychoactive meds like Librium or Haldol. Psyche patients do go off their meds often and our cruddy mental healthcare system exacerbates the problem.

It's difficult. It's complicated. We should do it.

I'm not a shrink. Let's let a panel of shrinks who specialize in violence sort out which ones. Everyone wants to be safer. How about we start with people who have a combined history of substance addiction and issues like borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder, and add in extended stays in a psychiatric facility and a reliance on strong psychoactive meds like Librium or Haldol. Psyche patients do go off their meds often and our cruddy mental healthcare system exacerbates the problem.

It's difficult. It's complicated. We should do it.

So you mean you want an insanely threaded needle that makes up nonsense criteria that the right will insist infringed on their god given right to slaughter people at a moment’s notice anyway.

So that’s why we should get rid of the DMV. Traffic lights too while we are at it. Because anything else is Nazi Muslim communism. Got it.

Yeah
Freedoooooom!!!

What...what are you talking about?

Blame it on Biden

Correlation does not equal causation. There is in fact more basis in claiming that the threat of stricter gun regulations and laws are more likely to spark those increased gun sales than stimulus checks.

FedEx? Does this count as going postal?

A person who kills a bunch of people and commits suicide has mental health issues.

If you are a felon, no gun for you.
If you have a history of mental health issues, no gun for you.

I don't want to repeal the 2nd Amendment. I'm a big fan of the 2nd Amendment. I don't want anyone taking your guns. If you acquired them legally, they're yours,

But going forward:

If you are a felon, no gun for you.
If you have a history of mental health issues, no gun for you.
A bit of trivia, but did you know that those who work for the USPS cannot say those words, "going postal" or make any sort of reference to that while at work? It is considered an offense that is almost certain to end in termination of employment.

Which ones?

That is the important question. The idea that people known (i.e. formally adjudged and/or convicted) to be so dangerous that we need all sorts of new “gun control” (more legal gun owner suppression?) laws should be allowed to roam freely among us is troubling.

Let’s face it. Thanks to the NRA and their prostitute Republicans in Congress and on the Bench, the US does nothing to prevent crazies and ragers from arming themselves. The result: mass shootings on the regular.

....The idea that people known (i.e. formally adjudged and/or convicted) to be so dangerous that we need all sorts of new “gun control” (more legal gun owner suppression?) laws should be allowed to roam freely among us is troubling.
Thank Reagan for that. He emptied the insane asylums.

Thank Reagan for that. He emptied the insane asylums.

It’s been quite a while since Reagan has had any governmental power in CA. Rest assured that placing millions of folks permanently in very expensive (e.g. about 50K/year/person) public institutions (to “cure them) is not going to be tired again. So long as we kid ourselves that there is someone else to blame for crime (other than the perps) and/or those known to be extremely dangerous persons can be fixed (cured?) by spending brief (or extended) periods of time inside an institution then we will continue to see them accrue additional victims.

Again, we wake up to news of a shooting, this time at a FedEx location. There are enough deaths to rate mention on some of the news outlets. What will not be noted by most is that these 8 deaths are unusual in that they occurred all at once in one location. It usually takes two whole hours for 8 Americans to die of gunshot during any part of an average day. 8 more die in the following two hours, 8 more after that, and on through the day and week and month and year.

Each death by gunshot, each and every one, is testimony to the fact that our existing laws and their enforcement were not able to prevent the death.

Each major shooting is testimony to the fact that the prayers and condolences of our legislators, if they still bother to give them, do not stay the hand of the next shooter.

8 every hour.

From the outside looking in, the world has pretty much given up on the U.S. as a nation that values civility. It's painful, as an ex-pat. I never wanted to see this happen, but it has happened quickly, within just my lifetime.

Most of our people are on drugs, illicit or pharmaceutical. We have no mental health care available to people anymore. The disparity between rich and poor is greater than ever. National infrastructure is crumbling. Public education is in shambles. The list goes on. It's not just gangs shooting each other up anymore, there are unhinged people everywhere with guns and no agency who are thinking of blowing themselves up or those around them.

We are lost. :(

From the outside looking in, the world has pretty much given up on the U.S. as a nation that values civility. It's painful, as an ex-pat. I never wanted to see this happen, but it has happened quickly, within just my lifetime.

Most of our people are on drugs, illicit or pharmaceutical. We have no mental health care available to people anymore. The disparity between rich and poor is greater than ever. National infrastructure is crumbling. Public education is in shambles. The list goes on. It's not just gangs shooting each other up anymore, there are unhinged people everywhere with guns and no agency who are thinking of blowing themselves up or those around them.

But we are free, right? Free like a bunch of animals in the jungle. Anything less is Nazi Muslim Communist tyranny.

Hi!

Thank you for taking time to post an extensive response.

I don't share your conclusion that we in the United States of America are lost. What is happening is that, through the medium of the 'net and forums such as this, we're getting a look at ourselves. For many, it's a first time for a full frontal exposure. There's a certain shock here. We're not quite the ideal people pictured in the mythos of this or that ideology. We have failings, some quite serious.

We also have the possibility of controlling the worst of these through education. Our schools, though maligned by some groups, contain many dedicated teachers at all levels. They, too, are a part of us*. The institution of education, though attacked in recent years, has not been damaged beyond hope. Neither has our institution of a free press.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

* The resemblance of 'us' to 'US' is something I've been aware of for many years.

We are getting massacres on a daily basis now. Where are all those good guys with a gun that were supposed to stop them? What, there aren’t any in Indiana?

But we are free, right? Free like a bunch of animals in the jungle. Anything less is Nazi Muslim Communist tyranny.

Hmm... would you prefer demanding a valid, state issued, photo ID - thus imposing a “discriminatory burden” to exercise one’s 2A rights?

That is the important question. The idea that people known (i.e. formally adjudged and/or convicted) to be so dangerous that we need all sorts of new “gun control” (more legal gun owner suppression?) laws should be allowed to roam freely among us is troubling.

So, yes, I agree with this angle too, but not quite from the NO MORE GUN CONTROL POINT. I agree the criteria for “mental health issues” is too vague to have any meaning. Does this mean anyone who has ever taken anti depressants isn’t eligible? How does that translate to any police officers currently on anti depression meds, in one example?

WE don’t need all sorts of new gun control regulation. We need standardized, federal laws that don’t create gaps. But first we would need gun folks to acknowledge that there is a problem vs telling us routine slaughter of citizens is just a price we must pay for their interpretation of 2A.

Back
Top Bottom