- May 21, 2005
- Reaction score
- Political Leaning
Not according to me, but according to the Bible:
Some people say the unclean meat "ban" was revoked in a vision shown to Peter:Deuteronomy 14:8 said:The pig, because it divides the hoof but does not chew the cud, it is unclean for you. You shall not eat any of their flesh nor touch their carcasses.
But Peter did not take this vision to mean it's now ok to eat unclean meat, in fact he didn't know what the vision meant at first:Acts 10:10-15 said:10. But he became hungry and was desiring to eat; but while they were making preparations, he fell into a trance;
11. and he *saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground,
12. and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air.
13. A voice came to him, "Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
14. But Peter said, "By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean."
15. Again a voice came to him a second time, "What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."
By the next day, after he met with Cornelius, Peter realized exactly what the vision was telling him:Acts 10:17 said:Now while Peter was greatly perplexed in mind as to what the vision which he had seen might be, behold, the men who had been sent by Cornelius, having asked directions for Simon's house, appeared at the gate;
The unclean animals in Peter's dream did not represent animals at all, but they represented foreigners - non-Jews. Thus, the unclean meat ban was not lifted, and eating unclean meat is still not permitted. Have I missed something?Acts 10:28 said:And he said to them, "You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean.