• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dr. Laura: Was she right or wrong?

She blew it. She had a wide-open door to discuss race relations - and she slammed it shut.

She blew it. She had a wide-open door to discuss race relations - and she slammed it shut.

Wrong. She was discussing race relations. That was the subject of the call. She just wasn't discussing it in the prescribed manner which is usually pandering to special interest and political correctness.

Wrong. She was discussing race relations. That was the subject of the call. She just wasn't discussing it in the prescribed manner which is usually pandering to special interest and political correctness.

She blew it. She talked down to the woman, she belittled and mocked her. She blew it. The "N" word isn't even the worst of what transpired in that call.

She blew it. She talked down to the woman, she belittled and mocked her. She blew it. The "N" word isn't even the worst of what transpired in that call.
Dr. Laura comes from a tribe that considers people outside the tribe to be their cattle.

Dr. Laura comes from a tribe that considers people outside the tribe to be their cattle.

It amazes me that anybody listens to her. She's like a Jerry Springer of the radio waves.

It amazes me that anybody listens to her. She's like a Jerry Springer of the radio waves.
It is no wonder she has an audience. Americans have a fascination with the sexual degeneracy the media has been providing them with for decades.

It is no wonder she has an audience. Americans have a fascination with the sexual degeneracy the media has been providing them with for decades.

Americans do? A fair number of us don't, therefore.

Americans do? A fair number of us don't, therefore.
Therefore a fair number of Americans are learning to avoid the world's foremost problem that has corrupted many media outlets.

yeah, she was discussing race relations... and doing so from a the position of a member of the dominant class insisting that this particular nigger get over herself in taking offense at being called a nigger.

the problem is not that she used the word "nigger" in discussing the use of the word 'nigger".

the problem is that she was attempting to convince a black woman that she should not take offense when her white husband's friends used the word "nigger" in discussing black folk. that is patently asinine and enormously offensive.

that anyone takes that pseudo-intellectual bimbo seriously is embarassing. that there are those that will support her in the preposterous propaganda that we are "post racial" is deeply saddening.

geo.

that anyone takes that pseudo-intellectual bimbo seriously is embarassing. that there are those that will support her in the preposterous propaganda that we are "post racial" is deeply saddening.

geo.

My sentiments exactly.

The FCC has a list of words that can't be said on-air. Stations also have their own policies. Unless she violated one or the other, she shouldn't be disciplined. If she IS disciplined, I would hope it would be in the form of a fine rather than dismissal -- unless her contract calls for specific discipline. She didn't use the word as a racial slur, but as a talking point for the subject she was discussing.

i listened to that clip, and she used the word over and over and over again. what a nasty bitch. no wonder she apologized the next day. should she be fined? who knows. should ANYONE listen to her show? NEVER.

I need to know - of all who answer, who actually listened to the audio? Because I had the same reaction, yeah no big. Then I listened to the audio.

EXACTLY.....she was deliberately smearing that woman.

Why, does it offend you when someone says the word retard? Do you have flashbacks at school of other kids calling you retarded and saying look its Ms Dee Dee Dee??

i hope you were infracted for this post.

EXACTLY.....she was deliberately smearing that woman.

I never listen to her show, so - you know? Maybe this is the norm for her? But good lord. She is TOXIC.

I never listen to her show, so - you know? Maybe this is the norm for her? But good lord. She is TOXIC.

If you did listen to her show you would know that she is not discriminatory at all as to whom she might rant on and for what reason. Most liberals don't listen to her because she is one of those vilified conservative figures who is to be ignored until something comes up for which she can be criticized. You are not allowed to listen and decide for yourself and still be considered liberal. Forget everything else in her life which proves beyond doubt that she is not a racist, this makes her a racist.

I think she may have taken the wrong time to do this but I certainly understand the temptation, with her bully platform, to loose it with respect to racial allegations which are running rampant in this country. Especially with respect to all things conservative. She often uses individual calls to press a larger point. Sometimes she presses the point too far in relation to what the caller is presenting. I think she did that this time but she doesn't deserved to be labeled a racist.

If you did listen to her show you would know that she is not discriminatory at all as to whom she might rant on and for what reason. Most liberals don't listen to her because she is one of those vilified conservative figures who is to be ignored until something comes up for which she can be criticized. You are not allowed to listen and decide for yourself and still be considered liberal. Forget everything else in her life which proves beyond doubt that she is not a racist, this makes her a racist.

I think she may have taken the wrong time to do this but I certainly understand the temptation, with her bully platform, to loose it with respect to racial allegations which are running rampant in this country. Especially with respect to all things conservative. She often uses individual calls to press a larger point. Sometimes she presses the point too far in relation to what the caller is presenting. I think she did that this time but she doesn't deserved to be labeled a racist.

You know, I automatically lose respect toward anyone who generalizes. I don't listen to the radio, period. I don't have a TV, period. Therefore, when you start pontificating about the great (liberal) unwashed, it doesn't apply to me, and I am unamused with you for making assumptions.

Well, if not a racist, then certainly an idiot. And, you're right, she's an equal opportunity pompous ass. I'm conservative. I can't stand her. She's out of the Chicago market, and I can see why. I'm hoping she's dropped by some of her affiliates. And here's why: the FCC has a list of words that can't be used on-air. I'm not sure if nigger is among them. If it isn't, it should be. Individual radio stations also have their own expanded list of words that can't be used on-air. In many of her markets, I'd venture to guess that nigger is among them. Her on-air rant, which is what I'd call it, was over the top. She's very full of herself. Time she gets knocked down "to size."

'Course we mus'nt forget that she may have checked with her attorneys months ago....just waiting for the right opportunity to say nigger-nigger-nigger -- 'cause entertainers often figure any publicity's good publicity.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Laura by any means. I also don't think that she is a racist, just tremendously misguided. I do, however, get a kick out of outspoken white people who constantly feel the need to define race relations for African Americans and what is or isn't okay. Her overall point, which I do agree with (though, I don't agree with the means she was trying to get this point across), is that it is just a word. It's how the word is used that makes it derogatory. The context of the word is incredibly important. However, if someone is offended by that word, it is their right to not have to hear it. Dr. Laura's continued use of the word during the call shows that she went from trying to prove a point to trying to provoke the caller. She saw that it was a sensitive topic for this woman and kept on with it because it makes good radio.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Laura by any means. I also don't think that she is a racist, just tremendously misguided. I do, however, get a kick out of outspoken white people who constantly feel the need to define race relations for African Americans and what is or isn't okay. Her overall point, which I do agree with (though, I don't agree with the means she was trying to get this point across), is that it is just a word. It's how the word is used that makes it derogatory. The context of the word is incredibly important. However, if someone is offended by that word, it is their right to not have to hear it. Dr. Laura's continued use of the word during the call shows that she went from trying to prove a point to trying to provoke the caller. She saw that it was a sensitive topic for this woman and kept on with it because it makes good radio.

I really don't think you want to make that a right. If I personally know someone is offended by a word maybe, but in a larger context just because some people are offended by a word doesn't mean it should never be spoken. I really think we ought to be able to discuss any word and how it is used and not have to use code words like children so nobody will be offended.

I really don't think you want to make that a right. If I personally know someone is offended by a word maybe, but in a larger context just because some people are offended by a word doesn't mean it should never be spoken. I really think we ought to be able to discuss any word and how it is used and not have to use code words like children so nobody will be offended.

You are misinterpreting what I'm saying. Nowhere am I advocating abolishing this word from the language. What I'm saying is, when you are using the word in a non-derogatory context and see that the word still bothers someone, then you continue to use the word; it goes from being non-derogatory to being just for the purposes of offending someone. I don't think that this particular usage of the word should be excused or justified. A person has every right in the world to be offended by the word, and they shouldn't have to hear it if they don't want to. So yeah, in that way I do agree with Dr. Laura being criticized for what she said. However, I still don't think she is a racist.

You know, I automatically lose respect toward anyone who generalizes. I don't listen to the radio, period. I don't have a TV, period. Therefore, when you start pontificating about the great (liberal) unwashed, it doesn't apply to me, and I am unamused with you for making assumptions.

"It amazes me that anybody listens to her. She's like a Jerry Springer of the radio waves."

This statement and the fact you admitted to never listening to her kind of makes my claim about you a little more legitimate than your feigned indignation would suggest.

Dr Patrick said:
Nowhere am I advocating abolishing this word from the language. What I'm saying is, when you are using the word in a non-derogatory context and see that the word still bothers someone, then you continue to use the word; it goes from being non-derogatory to being just for the purposes of offending someone. I don't think that this particular usage of the word should be excused or justified. A person has every right in the world to be offended by the word, and they shouldn't have to hear it if they don't want to.

Assuming that you meant to say that a person has the right to not be offended by a word, judging from your post, I respond with this: the hell they do.

If you don't like what she says, don't listen. I don't. However, I will say this and I am very passionate about it - you, or anyone else, never has a "right" to not be offended. As much as you may not like it, the First Amendment doesn't exist to only defend your viewpoints at the exclusion of others.

"It amazes me that anybody listens to her. She's like a Jerry Springer of the radio waves."

This statement and the fact you admitted to never listening to her kind of makes my claim about you a little more legitimate than your feigned indignation would suggest.

I didn't admit to that. I gave her a pass until I listened to the link of that show. Are you saying I'd have to watch every Jerry Springer to know his show was trash based on one completely unhinged episode?

Well, actually, she was pretty much on point in her message. But the way she made it was, well, politically incorrect to say the least. There seems to be certain words that blacks are allowed to say that white people cannot say. In fact, there are certain facts and statistics that whites are not allowed to point out either, but I digress. That, in and of itself, is pretty ****ed-up but we live in a world where racial activists have made racism a cottage industry and I don't foresee these people going away anytime soon.

Suck it up whitey. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom