• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DP needs your help

I've donated for probably a decade, using personal credit cards, personal checks, and finally Pay Pal. I have never had a single problem, glitch or hiccup in any of my donations.

Even $2/month would help. I urge everyone to consider giving whatever they can.

it'd be cool if there was as way to simply donate a specific amount, even if it wasn't possible to tie it to those specific perks that vary by donation (storage of PMs/Storage for gallery)

You can through Paypal. Just send any amount of money you want to the e-mail address your donation went to. It is listed under your activity. If you need help with it, send me a PM. I don't want to post the e-mail address publicly.

I like DP. It is one of my favorite sites. But it doesn't meet 2020 standards. The software is not up to the task of the modern world. Ditch vBulletin and upgrade to a more modern platform and I will contribute. PM me for details.

The plan is still to upgrade to XenForo from vB. I have a little more testing to do before I can give it the green light.

You can through Paypal. Just send any amount of money you want to the e-mail address your donation went to. It is listed under your activity. If you need help with it, send me a PM. I don't want to post the e-mail address publicly.

Ty.

I really should have thought of that..

I must say, I'm shocked at the response (in a good way)! I dreaded starting this thread because I hate asking for money from strangers, even if it is to keep this place so many of us love afloat. Your response has exceeded my expectations. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thanks to the generosity of several of you, we have met our goal for the month (it's only the 10th) and we have a little bit of a buffer going forward. Every little bit helps and several of you came through. I can't thank you enough for donating your hard earned money to keeping DP alive.

I must say, I'm shocked at the response (in a good way)! I dreaded starting this thread because I hate asking for money from strangers, even if it is to keep this place so many of us love afloat. Your response has exceeded my expectations. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thanks to the generosity of several of you, we have met our goal for the month (it's only the 10th) and we have a little bit of a buffer going forward. Every little bit helps and several of you came through. I can't thank you enough for donating your hard earned money to keeping DP alive.

You're welcome.

I saw the difficulty the site was having last month raising money.
I'm glad I could help.

It is unfortunate that I need to post this announcement but it is necessary if we want DP to continue. I've copied and updated a post from a little more than 3 years ago (the last time we were in this position):

DP was created 16 years ago and has seen a lot of growth in that time. We've grown from 150k posts in September 2007 to 1.5 million in October 2009 to more than 15.5 million posts as of today. DP has mostly been funded by donations from those in the community (that would be all of you). Donations have been down for a few months now (we've missed the monthly goal 11 of the past 12 months). The site owner had to add funds out of his pocket for this month as the extra funds we had in the Paypal account are all gone. DP needs your help if it is going to continue.

What DP is asking is for a handful of our users (we had more than 500 unique registered users visit the site just today) sign up to donate a little bit each month to keep DP up and running. 30 users who can donate $10 per month would cover the cost and put funds away for any future shortfalls. 20 users who could donate $10 per month and 20 who could donate $5 per month would reach the same amount.

It's not possible to please everyone and we know that. DP isn't perfect, but it is one of the largest political debate forums on the internet and we've been able to survive a lot longer than some of the now defunct forums where some of us came from previously. People keep coming back here day after day, not because DP isn't for them, but because it is for them. Lifelong friends have been made here, multiple relationships and at least one marriage than I know of happened from people meeting here. DP has given many of us an outlet to share our love of politics, our disgust of politicians, our love of sports, food and life. We want that to continue well beyond next month.

So I'm asking everyone who can to donate a little bit each month to DP to keep it going. We have our standard Silver, Gold and Platinum memberships which help us out as well, but what we're really looking for right now are monthly recurring donations. They are available in $2, $5, $10 and $20 amounts. I'll take a look at the permission settings for these in the next few days to see if we can make any changes to ensure that you get some perks for donating your hard earned money to support DP.

Thank you for your time in reading this announcement and please donate if you can.

https://www.debatepolitics.com/payments.php

Donation made. Thanks for everything Red.

Edit: I should extend those thanks to everyone who's helping keep DP going, and help managing it.

Thanks everyone! (And my family thanks you too, otherwise I'd end up talking politics to them! ;) )

Last edited:
I have donated in the past and am ready to do so again, but I don't have the link to do so right now

I'm not sure what I'm missing, please inform me and I would love to help

Done. I hope it helps.

In that case can I have mine back?

Just signed up for the $5/monthly order. I like this site and I'll be more than happy to donate to keep it around.

It's a shame my $50 donation results in an actual $70 cost to me because of the currency difference.

I have mostly donated every year since I have been a member here and I used to get a reminder a week before it expired. I didn't get that warning this time and didn't realize it had elapsed. Has that changed, Red?

I'll see what I can do

It's a shame my $50 donation results in an actual $70 cost to me because of the currency difference.

I have mostly donated every year since I have been a member here and I used to get a reminder a week before it expired. I didn't get that warning this time and didn't realize it had elapsed. Has that changed, Red?
I'll take a look. Thanks for the donation and the info.

I will up my monthly, but probably next month as my work just announced the end of a paycut for their employees that I should see on my next paycheck, but I want to verify that first.

Like now, the donation bar has come down and no-one will think to donate, and some will think they can't, and if you're me, why not make that $490.00; $550.00?

I know more people will donate if the bar is left up there and a surplus posted.

Can't we think of a neutral charity to give a surplus to like Aspca or cleft pallets?
I will be reworking the donation bar. It's on my list of things to do for the software upgrade.

My heartfelt thanks goes out to the entire DP Staff. Your collective level of dedication, competence and sincerity of purpose keeps this site one of the best, if not the best, in its genre.

Almost a year ago, after some ruffled feathers, I stopped donating. Prior to that, I donated at the rate of $150/year ($25 every other month). Today I used PayPal to donate $25.

If and when you switch over to an updated system, expect me to contribute.

My time spent in DP decreased substantially the last few months due to an uptick in my real world occupation (bought one single family home and two condo(s) at deep discounted prices in the last six days).

DP Rocks!

Done.

Thanks to the owner and staff here DP for all that you do.

I will be reworking the donation bar. It's on my list of things to do for the software upgrade.

If I can see we exceeded our goal we can think of how wealthy DP is, otherwise, I'm not reminded.

Then I can think of all the noble people who've donated to produce the month's pile.

But I must know where the pile is going, so the upgrade might be sick.

Good luck and thank you.

I used to donate all the time.

I haven't for a long time and there is a reason for that.

But if Red is asking, I will donate again.

Just a thought, but I have long believed that there are right-wing agent provocateurs that are here to disseminate the never ending misinformation, as they are so known to do. I don't know who pays them. I don't know if it's the Russians, rightwing PAC's, or what. But they are pretty easily identified. Perhaps a surcharge should be applied to them for using this forum to help spread their venomous propaganda. I mean, if they are making money off the site, they should have to pay some kind of user fee. But I guess that would be impossible to enforce.

Okay, $$$ on the way Red. God bless you and your family and thank you keep the site around.

I used to donate all the time.

I haven't for a long time and there is a reason for that.

But if Red is asking, I will donate again.

Just a thought, but I have long believed that there are right-wing agent provocateurs that are here to disseminate the never ending misinformation, as they are so known to do. I don't know who pays them. I don't know if it's the Russians, rightwing PAC's, or what. But they are pretty easily identified. Perhaps a surcharge should be applied to them for using this forum to help spread their venomous propaganda. I mean, if they are making money off the site, they should have to pay some kind of user fee. But I guess that would be impossible to enforce.

Okay, $$$ on the way Red. God bless you and your family and thank you keep the site around.

I have been in contact with my Russian handlers and they informed me that my expense account related to posting on DP would be tripled just so that I could mess with more people.

Hmmm...come to think of it, I may have to see if PayPal takes Rubles.

Just made a 1-year Platinum donation via PayPal. I trust you that our information is safe with you Red.

Thank you for all of your hard work and to all the moderators and DP staff.

Back
Top Bottom