• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dow plunges more than 600 points on confusion over status of U.S.-China trade deal

A reporter asked: We know that the Chinese economic and trade team has returned to Beijing. What is your comment on this meeting?
  A: The meeting was very successful and we have confidence in the implementation.

Q: How is China prepared to promote the next economic and trade consultation?
  A: The economic and trade teams of the two sides will actively promote the consultation work within 90 days in accordance with a clear timetable and road map.

Q: What are the priorities for China?
  A: China will start from implementing specific issues that have reached consensus, and the sooner the better.

???????????????????

Gao confirmed for the first time since the high-stakes meeting that China had agreed to implement consensus reached by both sides on agriculture, energy and cars, although he did not give details on any specific measures.

"We will start with agricultural products, energy, automobiles to immediately implement the issues that the two sides have reached consensus," Gao said, when asked about what is on the negotiation agenda.

"Then, in the next 90 days, we will follow a clear timetable and roadmap to negotiate on issues such as intellectual property right protection, tech cooperation, market access and trade balance," he said, stressing the consultations should be based on meeting the interests of both parties.

https://www.agriculture.com/markets...p-xi-summit-says-very-confident-in-trade-deal

So...the hyperactive, easily-triggered Wall Street speculators will probably find this to be good news and the stock market will probably, mysteriously, shoot way up.

:roll:

shrug...

I spoke before that news came out. It still only reinforces my point.

The speculators freak out and the market drops...even if there is nothing to freak out about.

Heck, this event just means Trump has more leverage against China.

Going out on a limb here but I'm guessing that the stock market is not your forte and I'm guessing you don't have a lot tied up in Wall Street.

I could be totally wrong.

I seen this coming though. Not so much because Trump is a blithering idiot but because the stock market historically goes up and down (it's merely a coincidence it mostly goes down when the GOP is occupying the white house? Or, maybe not. I don't know.) We couldn't expect Obama's market success to last forever regardless who got voted in last election.

So I locked my investments in last August. I don't have enough time to recoup. Market downturns no longer effect my retirement plans is as much as my nest egg is concerned. Of course, if it swings back upward, that's good for me too. (My plan locks in on the high water mark.)

But those still out there depending on Wall Street, if you have the time, stick it out. It goes up and it goes down. But I'm knocking on retirement's door. I don't have the time to recoup.

Back
Top Bottom