• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump’s Pledge to Defend Article XII of Constitution Raises Eyebrows

There's a difference between making a mistake while reading from your notes and being fatigued from 15 months of traveling while on the campaign trail and someone speaking off the top of their head. I've made similar mistakes while giving speeches, but yeah, 57 states is something the President should have easily corrected right on the spot.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-2942-1366673535-7.gif

No, he didn't. Why do you just lie all the time?

There should be an "it" after he said. Pay attention, I never said he said Muslim countries, just at that time that was the number of Muslim majority countries. Unless you pick it apart like the shills at Snopes.

Reading is fundemantal. Been waiting to say that.

There should be an "it" after he said. Pay attention, I never said he said Muslim countries, just at that time that was the number of Muslim majority countries. Unless you pick it apart like the shills at Snopes.

Reading is fundemantal. Been waiting to say that.

Reading is fundamental and if your intention was to say there were 57 muslim states at the time, you made a minor grammatical error that changed the meaning of your post. Don't get all mad at us about it!

And at the time, there were actually fifty-two Muslim-majority nations. But it's not like all the right-wing bloggers have ever been much for fact checking.

Snopes wasn't being a "shill," that's the number of countries in the world at the time with a >50% Muslim population.

If you've never been part of a speaker's series before, then you don't understand how easy it can be to get things mixed up or have a mental block while speaking. I have and so I understand it. Still, 57 states...really? As I said, it's something then Sen. Obama should have easily corrected Johnny on the spot. You may think that I'm giving him a pass on that one, but you'd be mistaken.

Misquoting someone, getting specific figures wrong, referencing the wrong person or department...those kinds of mistakes can be forgiven. But 57 states? Nope.

So, take your sarcasm somewhere else.

If you've never been part of a speaker's series before, then you don't understand how easy it can be to get things mixed up or have a mental block while speaking. I have and so I understand it. Still, 57 states...really? As I said, it's something then Sen. Obama should have easily corrected Johnny on the spot. You may think that I'm giving him a pass on that one, but you'd be mistaken.

Misquoting someone, getting specific figures wrong, referencing the wrong person or department...those kinds of mistakes can be forgiven. But 57 states? Nope.

So, take your sarcasm somewhere else.

I'm not defending Obama. The comparison between the Trump and Obama gaffe was appropriate. It read like you were giving an excuse for Obama.

Reading is fundamental and if your intention was to say there were 57 muslim states at the time, you made a minor grammatical error that changed the meaning of your post. Don't get all mad at us about it!

And at the time, there were actually fifty-two Muslim-majority nations. But it's not like all the right-wing bloggers have ever been much for fact checking.

Snopes wasn't being a "shill," that's the number of countries in the world at the time with a >50% Muslim population.

Well, in this thread is a ****load of posts where I clairified exactly what I said before Kobie called me on it. But jumping in on a thread will make you look foolish sometimes.

I'm not defending Obama. The comparison between the Trump and Obama gaffe was appropriate. It read like you were giving an excuse for Obama.

Not at all. I understand how such mistakes can and do happen. But I also think that "57 states" gaff in particular could have been easily corrected. In fact, it's one I'm (still) shocked he even made. Who doesn't know we only have 50 nifty United States? It's something you learn in grade school.

I see what you did there. It's not really good to know.

Then tell me what it is. This tit for tat stuff just makes the side "getting revenge" look as bad as the side they are "getting revenge on". Is that OK with you?

Then tell me what it is. This tit for tat stuff just makes the side "getting revenge" look as bad as the side they are "getting revenge on". Is that OK with you?

The comment was a reminder that instead of trying to catch Trump make a mistake in his speech, remember how Obama ****ed up too. The entire time while Bush was president attempt was made constantly to show how stupid he was. Remember the monkey cartoons? That's why the 57 state thing was. Leftwingers are all the time talking about the intellect of candidates; they even did it to Reagan. It's not rightwingers that are focusing on that.

The comment was a reminder that instead of trying to catch Trump make a mistake in his speech, remember how Obama ****ed up too. The entire time while Bush was president attempt was made constantly to show how stupid he was. Remember the monkey cartoons? That's why the 57 state thing was. Leftwingers are all the time talking about the intellect of candidates; they even did it to Reagan. It's not rightwingers that are focusing on that.

I think they both focus on it when it is the opposing candidate fairly equally. That is how the Centrist Authoritarians running both parties are dominating us by divide-and-conquer, the (current) two-party-system is exactly that.

Last edited:
I think they both focus on it when it is the opposing candidate fairly equally. That is how the Centrist Authoritarians running both parties are dominating us by divide-and-conquer, the two-party-system is exactly that.

200+ year old two-party system.

200+ year old two-party system.

It wasn't always Republican vs. Democrat. We need to update it, revolutionize it. We're long overdue for a third-party President.

(I did update my post to clarify, just FYI.)

It wasn't always Republican vs. Democrat. We need to update it, revolutionize it. We're long overdue for a third-party President.

First you need a viable third party, then worry about the President. A third party president with no third party in Congress, is as worthless as tits on a bull.

First you need a viable third party, then worry about the President. A third party president with no third party in Congress, is as worthless as tits on a bull.

Teddy Roosevelt would be the exception to that. He ran on the Progressive Party ticket.

Donald Trump?s Pledge to Defend Article XII of Constitution Raises Eyebrows - Washington Wire - WSJ

The Twelfth Amendment (Amendment XII) to the United States Constitution provides the procedure for electing thePresident and Vice President. It replaced the procedure provided in Article II, Section 1, Clause 3, by which the Electoral College originally functioned.

We have two options... either he doesn't know there aren't 12 articles.... or he really cares about protecting how we elect presidents.. This man is a buffoon.

Right. And Obama thinks there are 57 states and Hillary has no clue what a classified document is.

Right. And Obama thinks there are 57 states and Hillary has no clue what a classified document is.

Again, Obama's was a simple case of misspeaking. We're used to saying "50 states" because that's America, yo. But the real number was 47 and the two sorta mashed together.

Trump's case was just pulling random numbers out of his ass. Because that's what he does. Pulls things out of his ass. "I don't know who David Duke is!" Except in the year 2000 you left the Reform Party specifically because David Duke was supporting it. So either you forgot or you made this excuse up on the spot. And then later tried to claim it was a bad earpiece, clearly another excuse made up on the spot. Guy's a goddamned five year old when it comes to lying.

Again, Obama's was a simple case of misspeaking. We're used to saying "50 states" because that's America, yo. But the real number was 47 and the two sorta mashed together.

Trump's case was just pulling random numbers out of his ass. Because that's what he does. Pulls things out of his ass. "I don't know who David Duke is!" Except in the year 2000 you left the Reform Party specifically because David Duke was supporting it. So either you forgot or you made this excuse up on the spot. And then later tried to claim it was a bad earpiece, clearly another excuse made up on the spot. Guy's a goddamned five year old when it comes to lying.

I can't argue with Trump pulling his statements out of something besides reality.

I think his handlers are probably working on this. It seems like the teleprompter is used more often now.

Regarding Obama and the 57 states, he was speaking directly about the states he had visited. I think it's safe to assume that he understands that there are only 50 states, but he spoke at length about the states that he had visited and that he wouldn't be going to Alaska and Hawaii. Where does the 47 you mentioned come from?

I've run meetings where I deliver the same information to one group after another across a day or two. After the second or third go-round, it's hard to remember what I've said and what's left to say. For these guys who do the same stump speech multiple times in a day for endless days in a row, it must an exercise in tedious delirium and leave them half nuts on the road.

They all have my sympathy.

The attacks on President Bush 2 got pretty ugly.

Still, that seems to be a good reason to avoid retaliating in kind.

The attacks on President Bush 2 got pretty ugly.

Still, that seems to be a good reason to avoid retaliating in kind.

Maybe, but I pointed out the hypocrisy nonetheless.

Of course it's right wingers focusing on that. All the time he has been President, right wingers have done everything they can to insult Obama. Easily as bad as it was with left wingers and Bush. MY point is that right wingers do it just as much as left wingers. Your point seems to be that it's OK to do if the other side does. I'm saying it isn't.

My guess is he somehow gained access to Obama's notes on how many states there are in the US and was following the same line of thinking.

I'm no Obama fan. At all. But his plans were to visit all 48 continental states. He had one left to go. So he had already visited 47. Saying "50 states" is just a habit. So he started with "fifty" paused to calculate that he hasn't been to all 48, and said "seven". In short, he said "57" in an error. This is so easily debunked that it's barely worth the time writing about. But I do, because it was a mistake, not ignorance. He's made many bad decisions IMO, but the man is not ignorant.

However, Trump's statement is more likely to be chalked up to ignorance. The man has "misspoken" regarding the constitution and how the government works in general too often for each of them to be misspoken mishaps. He's truly ignorant. And of course his supporters have claimed to me that they like him for that; he's one of the people, not a politician. He is, in their opinion, not falsifiable. That's extremely troublesome; they're borderline worshiping him and ignoring his faults.

I'm no Obama fan. At all. But his plans were to visit all 48 continental states. He had one left to go. So he had already visited 47. Saying "50 states" is just a habit. So he started with "fifty" paused to calculate that he hasn't been to all 48, and said "seven". In short, he said "57" in an error. This is so easily debunked that it's barely worth the time writing about. But I do, because it was a mistake, not ignorance. He's made many bad decisions IMO, but the man is not ignorant.

However, Trump's statement is more likely to be chalked up to ignorance. The man has "misspoken" regarding the constitution and how the government works in general too often for each of them to be misspoken mishaps. He's truly ignorant. And of course his supporters have claimed to me that they like him for that; he's one of the people, not a politician. He is, in their opinion, not falsifiable. That's extremely troublesome; they're borderline worshiping him and ignoring his faults.

LOL.

An interesting, but quite flawed, opinion.

First, I don't think saying 57 states indicates Obama is ignorant. He misspoke. Of course, everyone knows there are only 50 states, so it's a real head scratcher that his brain even engaged to utter the words. That would be like saying the Earth has 12 moons. However, still just a slip of the tongue.

As to Trump, your conclusion exposes your clear bias. Fine, don't like the guy. But the argument you've made is extremely weak and riddled with subjective conclusions unsupported by facts.

Back
Top Bottom