• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the NBA Need More White Players?

Does the NBA Need More White Players?

• Total voters

phattonez

Catholic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
This poll is based on articles such as the one I link at the bottom, where the author decries a lack of black players in MLB and how those numbers either are improving or need to improve. Most sports writers take it as a given that there needs to be more black players on MLB teams, or as managers or in front offices. So this begs the question. In other leagues where blacks are if anything overrepresented, are more white players needed? Or in other words, does the NBA need more white players?

MLB making inroads to attract African Americans

This poll is based on articles such as the one I link at the bottom, where the author decries a lack of black players in MLB and how those numbers either are improving or need to improve. Most sports writers take it as a given that there needs to be more black players on MLB teams, or as managers or in front offices. So this begs the question. In other leagues where blacks are if anything overrepresented, are more white players needed? Or in other words, does the NBA need more white players?

NBA has white players. There are a lot of guys from Europe. There aren't that many American Whites but that is because they suck.

I don't think mlb needs more black players. Maybe many blacks aren't interested in baseball. Same thing with hockey.

No, that is just stupid.. Let them compete on skill..

Let everyone compete on skill alone across america..

No, that is just stupid.. Let them compete on skill..

Let everyone compete on skill alone across america..

Nah dude. That's not how things work in today's socially relevant society.

There must be more than just equal opportunity, you have to have proportional representation at the very least; or better yet...give the disadvantaged white players more slots to make up for all the imbalances of past years.

Soooo...I think there should be a quota of 65% white players on every team. Then add about 20% latin, a couple percent Asian...and the rest Black players.

Also, non-Black players must get to play at least 75% of the game to make it all fair.

Ya think? ;)

Last edited:
5aa514286fb6ec254514d118ca6a47e0

If universities, states, nations, etc. "need" more non-whites, then places with mostly non-whites "need" more whites is how I look at it.

Either do it fair for both sides or don't do it at all.

President Trump will insist on 50-50% of Black and White teams in the NBA. Of course because he is closing the borders the white players can only be American, no Europeans allowed.

White Americans are at a disadvantage in making it to the NBA. Far too many white parents insist their boys spend too much time studying their lessons for school and doing other activities as helping around the house and other tasks instead of allowing them to spend five or more hours at the playground playing ball day after day after day after day after day to hone their skills. This parenting serves to disadvantage the white child and it is NOT their fault.

I would propose that the NBA adopt a affirmative action program which gives us an NBA which reflects America. If 70% of America is white, perhaps the NBA should be also? Each team should be required to have at least that percentage of players on its roster as white. Playing time would be up to coaches although if later studies show that too is not fairly racially proportional, perhaps some tinkering with that might be in order also.

All sports need the most skillful (and committed) players. Period.

Racial make-up is what it is.

I find it interesting (read: hypocritical) that those who are complaining regarding the lack of black players in MLB in 2016 weren't complaining in the 1980s when black players far exceeded the overall population percentage. That was just fine, apparently.

President Trump will insist on 50-50% of Black and White teams in the NBA. Of course because he is closing the borders the white players can only be American, no Europeans allowed.

Somehow I don't believe Trump (like most Republicans) is concerned with illegal European/White immigration.

Somehow I don't believe Trump (like most Republicans) is concerned with illegal European/White immigration.

Because they don't compare here and start groups like MEChA and agitate for annexation by their native state.

White Americans are at a disadvantage in making it to the NBA. Far too many white parents insist their boys spend too much time studying their lessons for school and doing other activities as helping around the house and other tasks instead of allowing them to spend five or more hours at the playground playing ball day after day after day after day after day to hone their skills. This parenting serves to disadvantage the white child and it is NOT their fault.

I would propose that the NBA adopt a affirmative action program which gives us an NBA which reflects America. If 70% of America is white, perhaps the NBA should be also? Each team should be required to have at least that percentage of players on its roster as white. Playing time would be up to coaches although if later studies show that too is not fairly racially proportional, perhaps some tinkering with that might be in order also.

Studying and helping out around the house? :lol: Don't you mean playing video games and surfing the internet while their parents are on facebook or watching basketball games. When my daughter is at dance class or swimming lessons most parents, yes even the white ones, are on their damn phone not giving a damn about their child. You think at home in privates it's any different?

Studying and helping out around the house? :lol: Don't you mean playing video games and surfing the internet while their parents are on facebook or watching basketball games. When my daughter is at dance class or swimming lessons most parents, yes even the white ones, are on their damn phone not giving a damn about their child. You think at home in privates it's any different?
I am presuming you mean the parents are at the practice and just surfing their phones, correct?

If so, do you really expect a parent to be 100% fixated on their kid's every slightest movement? They're already being coached and attended, what more do you want?

Yes - there is that also.

I am presuming you mean the parents are at the practice and just surfing their phones, correct?

If so, do you really expect a parent to be 100% fixated on their kid's every slightest movement? They're already being coached and attended, what more do you want?

I dont expect 100% but when I constantly see this, not only at practices but playgrounds, restaurants, and at school functions too, I don't buy it that at home they are pushing their kids to do homework and housework. Maybe I am in the minority that I take an active interest.

I dont expect 100% but when I constantly see this, not only at practices but playgrounds, restaurants, and at school functions too, I don't buy it that at home they are pushing their kids to do homework and housework. Maybe I am in the minority that I take an active interest.

AHA! I have found a kindred spirit. I find abuse of cell phones and the like to be the great satan of the modern era and are fast leading us into social hell.

I once saw a photo of a party where a couple dozen teens were gathered and they were all sitting around this room each and every one on their phone - most likely texting to others sitting right there with them.

Once upon a time technology was suppose to IMPROVE with age and development. Imagine if the text phone feature was invented first and then decades later some bright Edison type came up with a way to save yourself all that typing and you could actually SPEAK int the device and other person could actually HEAR you in real time and respond and you could get a whole lot more said and communicated in a fraction of the time? Now that would be PROGRESS.

But we have gone backwards..... ass backwards it seems.

But enough of that before I offend 95% of people on this site regardless of their political persuasion.

Stop the race baiting and actually give this question a serious thought. The answer is obvious: YES

The NBA has always had a talent disparity problem; more than half the championships in league history are owned by three teams. I believe the root cause of this can be summed up as a lack of talent problem. The scouting game for the NBA has historically been dominated by the AAU circuit. The AAU circuit itself, is dominated by big city super teams. A casual look at the overall roster of the NBA and you will quickly realize that cities such as Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, DC, and Detriot are VASTLY overrepresented in the NBA. It is worth mentioning, that these major cities have African American populations which are out of proportion of the rest of the country. For many years, as far as scouts were concerned, if you weren't one of the best player on one of the few dozen best teams in the country, you weren't scouted.

Then there is also the problem of what those NBA scouts actually valued. If you've read the book Moneyball, then the connection is clear. Scouting in the NBA, much like scouting in the MLB was far too predicated on athletic measurables and not enough on the skill of playing the actual game. Look at the list of the biggest draft busts in NBA history and you see the exact same thing over and over again. Player X was a freak athlete with an incredible blend of size, strength, and speed; but never developed the basic skills necessary to play the game. These weren't players who merely failed to live up to expectations, scouts were repeatedly falling in love with players who had the skills of a sub-DLeague player. This point is even further highlighted by following the trajectory of Stephen Curry, an above average athlete who is literally lighting the league on fire with his combination of shooting, dribbling, body control, and smarts; long attributes scouts just assumed that could be "taught" to the athletic freaks once they hit the NBA. This again, can be brought back to the flawed AAU-centric system. Its a subject that has been covered multiple times, but I'll summarize it for you. The AAU revolves around a bunch of city teams whose primary focus is not to teach basic fundamental basketball skill. Especially at a young age, if you have the biggest, fastest, and highest jumping players you already have a near insurmountable advantage. So these AAU super teams that scouts pay the most attention to themselves are primarily concerning themselves with only pure athletic talent to dominate at their level rather then teaching players skills that will ultimately translate to the next level. And this is again, where I remind you that the AAU circuit revolves around big cities that are disproportionately AA.

Lately, this mind set has been shifting. The height of the AAU era of the 1990's and early 2000's was a period which not coincidentally marked an all time low in both interest in the NBA and quality of the game; and also a period of an enormous bust rate of high profile draft picks. This has caused scouts to naturally start looking outside of their old narrow focus and placed a greater emphasis on both the high school game and international scene. Also it seems like the proliferation of basketball camps and a change in mindset of youth coaches have led to players coming into the NBA with a much skill level. For much of the history of the NBA, you were lucky to get 1-2 in the entire draft who were good enough for a team to build around, now it seems like every year you get half a dozen or more. The 2015 draft had a player who is already border line All-star in Karl Anthony Towns, and several other players who have flashed definite All-Star potential in Russell, Porzingis, Hezonja, Turner, Winslow and Booker. 10 years ago, you'd be lucky to find this much talent in 3 drafts combined.

So should the NBA actively try to recruit whites? Thats a bunch of race baiting nonsense. Should the NBA diversify its scouting scope, which will ultimately lead to a more diversified league? You're damn right.

Last edited:

I don't support affirmative action.The NBA should hire who is the most qualified. If most of those people happen to be Black then so be it, the NBA shouldn't be forced to adhere to race quotas.

NBA has white players. There are a lot of guys from Europe. There aren't that many American Whites but that is because they suck.

No. It is because white players do not grow up exclusively playing basketball. They generally are also playing soccer, going to the beach, skiing, baseball, etc. I taught inner city black kids and all they did was play basketball.

NBA affirmative action: any white guy standing over 6'8" tall gets millions right out of college even if he is a stiff. See long list of stiff white guys who were bounced out of the league in two or three years.

NBA affirmative action: any white guy standing over 6'8" tall gets millions right out of college even if he is a stiff. See long list of stiff white guys who were bounced out of the league in two or three years.

Shawn Bradley and Bryant Reeves immediately come to mind.

Andrew Bogut, Christian Laettner and Keith Van Horn were very high picks who never fully panned out but managed to kick around the league for a while.

Honestly I don't care much about pro sports. But who gives a damn what color they are as long as they are the best players.

Back
Top Bottom