• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does the Death of Justice RBG help or hurt either Biden or Trump's chances

Does the death of Justice RBG help or hurt Biden Or Trump's chances?

• Total voters
nah, I am happy that people who whine about the wealthy, suck up to them when they are left-wingers

No truer words, but you and I know why they do this. They're party first sycophants, who have no mind of their own.

I’ve heard it but I was surprised to actually see it. I was specific on my search and still only news about Biden’s came up.

Trump broke a record for August campaign contributions.

Trump broke a record for August campaign contributions.
No doubt Trix. I was just curious as to what the numbers were since news broke about Ginsberg’s death compared to Biden’s. Google is just putting Biden’s news up.

There’s no conspiracy. The media doesn’t need to conspire with each other. They are mostly in lockstep agreement
Any suggestions on a better search engine?

I think this depends a lot on what the GOP actually chooses to do. (and what Democrats do or say in response)

I think the most likely outcome is ramming through an unqualified ideologue in record time before the election, because brazen hypocrisy is not something the GOP or their cult of followers gives a shit about.

Is either candidate helped by the prospect of the vacancy on the Supreme court? Will Trump use it to rally his voters or will Biden use it to amp up the attack against Trump
The democrats will not be able to resist going “Full Kavenaugh”, and reminding America what shitheads they really are. Also with todays easily searched media they look even more foolish for rising a stink about something they are on record supporting.

Watching Trumpers tying themselves into knots trying to justify Trump nominating a SC pick after he's lost the election, after the crap they pulled in 2016, will be interesting.

Trump had nothing to do with Merrick Garland not being confirmed. .... Trump has the duty to nominate.

If you have a legitimate argument, take it up with the former POTUS.

"When there is a vacancy on the SCOTUS, the President is to nominate someone, the Senate is to consider that nomination... There's no unwritten law that says that it can only be done on off-years. That's not in the Constitution text." ~Barack Obama

I don't think it will help or hurt either. On the extreme margins maybe it helps Biden win more of the popular vote, but in the states that matter, I don't think it helps either.

It's probably the nail in the coffin for Collins though. No way any Dems or left-leaning independents will vote for her if she supports Trump's nominee, and if she opposes it, there goes the conservative vote in Maine.

It's also a colossal disaster for the country, ratcheting up the pressure and heat on an already unsustainably strained election. Even thinking about it as helping or hurting Trump or Biden is incredibly short sighted.

If I were the GOP I would absolute wait until after the election. There is at worst a 50-50 chance they lose both the Senate and the WH. If that happens after they'd crammed through another conservative justice, the Dems will pack the Court, and they won't even look bad doing it given the blatant hypocrisy of the GOP and total unrepresentativeness of a 6-3 conservative Court. If they wait, the worst that happens is that after losing the WH and Senate the Court stays 5-4 in their favor. The best thing that happens is they look reasonable AND win the WH and Senate and so get the extra spot fair and square. And there is another middle scenario: they look reasonable for waiting, keep the Senate in the election, and use that power to make sure RBG is replaced by at least a moderate, which would also be a great result. I honestly see pushing forward now as a lose-lose scenario.

Depends on the timing. It definitely helps Trump if they can get a new appointee before he leaves office. Or more specifically, it helps the conservative movement.

Trump had nothing to do with Merrick Garland not being confirmed. .... Trump has the duty to nominate.

If you have a legitimate argument, take it up with the former POTUS.

"When there is a vacancy on the SCOTUS, the President is to nominate someone, the Senate is to consider that nomination... There's no unwritten law that says that it can only be done on off-years. That's not in the Constitution text." ~Barack Obama

I think by "they" he means the GOP Senate under McConnell. It definitely has a lot to do with him as he refused to even consider when it suited them, and now he's going to be all over it.

I think by "they" he means the GOP Senate under McConnell. It definitely has a lot to do with him as he refused to even consider when it suited them, and now he's going to be all over it.
Irrelevant, moot point.

See my signature.

It has already helped Biden far more than TRump as contributions have skyrocket in a reaction to the GOP saying it would ram a candidate down Americas throat.
It hasn’t helped Biden. In fact he’s avoiding going public with who he would consider. There’s a reason he won’t disclose that.

Is either candidate helped by the prospect of the vacancy on the Supreme court? Will Trump use it to rally his voters or will Biden use it to amp up the attack against Trump

Helps Biden definitely; pretty much the day of Ginsburg's death I anticipated it would galvanize Dems with the terror of what would happen should Biden lose while underlining and emphasizing for them exactly what's at stake, thus improving their turn out/motivation (for which they frankly can use all the help they can get as Biden is typically a 'lesser evil' candidate to most Dems and there is a definite enthusiasm deficit vis a vis Republicans who are already at a peak here) and fundraising; the latter assumption has thus far proven correct.

Moreover, most Americans seem to approve on holding off on a new Justice until the election is resolved; I don't know how material that will be in the ultimate scheme of things, but it's definitely not good news for Trump and Mitch who obviously want to ramrod one as soon as humanly possible (also Mitch's hypocrisy on the matter is a bad look that Biden can easily spin).

Last edited:
Moreover, most Americans seem to approve on holding off on a new Justice until the election is resolved; I don't know how material that will be in the ultimate scheme of things,

I do, it means nothing.

I do, it means nothing.

I think it really depends on how much of a drama Trump's appointment becomes; spin doctors and savvy political advertising could turn this into a brouhaha so I reserve judgement. I personally would lean towards the impact being small overall, but there's potential.

Back
Top Bottom