• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does Praying Change God's Plan/Mind

At least to those who believe theirs is the "correct" religion.
The fact that the 10 Commandments says that You shall not no other gods before me is a tacit admittance by the church that other gods exist. Ask a believer about that and watch them spin/deflect.

:eek:

That is a common, but incorrect assumption. It's also not indicative of "real" faith or belief. Rather, it's an emotional response.
No, I cannot support that one.

Another way of saying emotional response is to say a hunch or a gut reaction. Which is when someone reacts on nothing more than having real faith that they are right.

Christians may claim they have faith. But that is not a reason to assume it is a real faith. Or that for some reason they have the only right to the word faith.

No, I cannot support that one.

Another way of saying emotional response is to say a hunch or a gut reaction. Which is when someone reacts on nothing more than having real faith that they are right
It's still emotional and irrational.
Christians may claim they have faith. But that is not a reason to assume it is a real faith. Or that for some reason they have the only right to the word faith.
They claim many things. I generally dismiss them too.

Does that mean that you believe god can change his mind/plan based on prayer alone?
As I understand it, God never changes His/Her mind.

He/She has already planned everything.

We pray because we do not know His/Her preordained answer.

One never knows what God is planning.

(The horrific Covid pandemic stopped the reelection of President Trump. Some people were praying for his defeat. Of course, in 2019, they never imagined it would come about as it did. Remember that old saying: Be careful what you wish for.)

(The horrific Covid pandemic stopped the reelection of President Trump. Some people were praying for his defeat. Of course, in 2019, they never imagined it would come about as it did. Remember that old saying: Be careful what you wish for.)
That effectively makes prayer useless. Prayer does not reveal or affect an outcome. So it's nothing more than wishful thinking.

This post is from the dept of doublespeak dept.

Logically, if the outcome is predetermine then prayer is a waste of time. You have an untreated anxiety disorder and are using prayer to self-soothe. Trump was not reelected because of his deadly lack of a effective response to COVID and the million other mistakes/lies that he made in 4 years. You just admitted the out the outcome was predetermined, so people could not have prayed for his defeat.

iu

That effectively makes prayer useless. Prayer does not reveal or affect an outcome. So it's nothing more than wishful thinking.
But we do not know God's decision yet.

Maybe my beloved brother will give me a sign.
Maybe I will get my strength back.

People who pray say that they receive comfort that they otherwise would not have.

People who pray say that they receive comfort that they otherwise would not have.
It doesn't matter. God knows and has already decided. Prayer will not change that. We might find out eventually. But that's from the progression of things as God planned. Prayer does not reveal or change the outcome.

You just said the outcome was predetermined. Logically it cannot be both.

This post is from the dept of doublespeak dept.

Logically, if the outcome is predetermine then prayer is a waste of time. You have an untreated anxiety disorder and are using prayer to self-soothe. Trump was not reelected because of his deadly lack of a effective response to COVID and the million other mistakes/lies that he made in 4 years. You just admitted the out the outcome was predetermined, so people could not have prayed for his defeat.

iu
I read recently that the percentage of Americans who feel that religion is an important part of their lives is continuing to plunge.

People who dismiss the role of prayer in one's life are unlikely to change their minds, and that is fine.

And those who feel their lives are enriched by prayer will continue to pray, and that is fine.

You just said the outcome was predetermined. Logically it cannot be both.
But I do not know the outcome. So that's why I pray every day.

People who dismiss the role of prayer in one's life are unlikely to change their minds, and that is fine.

And those who feel their lives are enriched by prayer will continue to pray, and that is fine.

Replace the word "prayer" with "meditation".

Same thing. No need for religion to just "think on things".

No...

“This is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.” 1 John 5:14

"Instead, you should say: “If Jehovah wills, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:15

No...

“This is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.” 1 John 5:14

"Instead, you should say: “If Jehovah wills, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:15
So there's no point to prayer.

So there's no point to prayer.
Yes, there is...answering a person's prayer in no way changes God's will from being fulfilled...it will still happen, just as the Bible prophesies...

So is the outcome revealed or altered as a result of prayer?
God does not alter His/Her plans.

I will know God's decision before I die. (I am already 86.)

Are there two different outcomes that rest solely on whether or not a person (or people) prays?
No...God's purpose continues on...

What? Huh?
If I get a definitive sign from my brother before I die, then GOD said YES to my prayer.
If I get my strength back before I die, then GOD ...

Back
Top Bottom